South Park does Journey Into Imagination Spoof

Misty

User Terminated
I also had several friends (who are not even remotely close to being Disney geeks) as me about the reference to the Dreamfinder. When people like that can put the reference together....come on.

Wow, SEVERAL friends who know next to nothing about Disney somehow all happened to know about Dreamfinder, huh? Riiiiiiiiighhhhht! I think you've weakened your argument somewhat. :rolleyes:

Misty

User Terminated
I caught part of it the other day and just couldn't place the name of the guy doing the imagination song. Watched it again now and told DH that is suppose to be a spoof of Dreamfinder (he never saw Him in the original Journey. He laughed when he saw it though, because he thought the same thing from the pictures I showed him of the old Journey

Don't you think that maybe the only reason he "thought of it" was because you told him who it was supposed to be?

AEfx

Misty, since you seem to keep posting and seem so utterly convinced...I'll ask again - have you actually SEEN the episode?

AEfx

Misty

User Terminated
Have you seen the episode?

I watch South Park every week, and for the first part of the episode I was thinking my overactive Disney-love was tainting my view. And then the airship. And then the endless repetition of the "Imagination" melody sounding pretty darn close to Figment in both delivery and pitch?

Like many things in South Park, it is a multi-angled parody. It works on several levels, starts with the Dreamfinder character and then builds on it by giving "Imagination" land life. Like any good South Park, it melds together several things into an amusing whole.

It was definitely an homage to Dreamfinder/Journey to Imagination. There is simply no doubt if you've seen the episode, it's so ubiquitous throughout thing.

AEfx

Yes I did see the episode, which is why I can say that it is not Dreamfinder. I hate to break it to you, but Dreamfinder is hardly the only fanciful character who rides around in a blimp.

And how on earth is it even remotely an homage to Journey into Imagination?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Yes I did see the episode, which is why I can say that it is not Dreamfinder. I hate to break it to you, but Dreamfinder is hardly the only fanciful character who rides around in a blimp.

Misty, i'm writing you off as someone who is entirely out of touch with reality.

AEfx

Um, did you miss the part where he sang, "Imagination, Im-ag-in-ation" over and over and over again?

AEfx

goofyfan13

Misty, i'm writing you off as someone who is entirely out of touch with reality.

Or he just like to argue for the sake of arguing.

On a separate note, I just saw the Drawn Together episode mentioned earlier. Holy crap they didn't even try to hide the reference, Toot said, "Let me take you to the body on the Carousel of Progress" or something along those lines. Then started singing, "Now is the Time."

Tom Morrow

^ Hahahaha, they used the Carousel of Progress joke two more times in that episode. It made me crack up. I wonder why they decided to use Now is the Time instead of Theres a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow?

The Mak

Now you're just being silly. Come on now.

Hrudey3032

Sorry, what I should have said was only Disney fan sites are making the connection. South Park parodies are generally not aimed at only one type of fan base.

And how do you explain the presence of a TON of non-Disney characters in the Imaginationland segment? How does this, in any way, make the episode and homage to anything Disney??:hammer:

It isn't just a homage to Disney but Cartoon characters in general.However what other charachter looks like that,sings the words IMAGINATION over and over,and flies a blimp??? I mean use some common sense.The guys at South Park will parody every thing, they have no bounds.I would bet on that character being a spoof on dreamfinder. There were numerous Disney characters as well in there like Mad hatter,Uncle Remus from Song of the South,Jack Skelington,and many others.So while it wasn't just a "Homage" to Disney,Disney was a part of that shows ideas.
:hammer:

goofyfan13

Wow, SEVERAL friends who know next to nothing about Disney somehow all happened to know about Dreamfinder, huh? Riiiiiiiiighhhhht! I think you've weakened your argument somewhat. :rolleyes:

Actually, I think that strengthens my argument, but obviously you don't care, and won't be convinced either way. Talking to you is like talking to a brick wall. :rolleyes:

ErickainPA

Misty - no my husband knew it before I had said anything about it. He saw the part I was talking about and said it was that guy from the Journey ride you told me about. If you are someone that doesn't want to believe that South Park does parodies of Disney all the time, so be it, no use fighting with you about it. Nothing anyone says is going to change your mind so why not just stop coming into a thread that you don't care to believe is a spoof of Journey into Imagination. The blimp is the exact one that Dreamfinder use to fly on the ride. You probably don't think they were using Saving Private Ryan either. And for us being the only ones to think it's a spoof, others on the web said the same thing: http://www.recapist.com/2007/10/18/south-park-imaginationland-episode-1103

Eyorefan

Well, not that it matters now, but a friend of mine who loves South Park saw the re-run and called me up. He knows that I'm a Disney fan and he wanted to confirm his suspison that the "weird guy" was, indeed, from "...that Epcot immagination ride" he went on when he was a kid. This is a guy who went to Disney World once, in the 1980s when he was 10.

Yes, you have to have been on the ride, or at least heard about it to know who he is and what they are paroding, but I don't think that really matters.

goofyfan13

Well, not that it matters now, but a friend of mine who loves South Park saw the re-run and called me up. He knows that I'm a Disney fan and he wanted to confirm his suspison that the "weird guy" was, indeed, from "...that Epcot immagination ride" he went on when he was a kid. This is a guy who went to Disney World once, in the 1980s when he was 10.

Yes, you have to have been on the ride, or at least heard about it to know who he is and what they are paroding, but I don't think that really matters.

That's more or less what I was getting at. I was having dinner with a bunch of friends and the episode came on. One of my friends asked me, "Hey is that supposed to be that guy from the imagination ride at Epcot?" and then about 3-4 other people all agreed that it reminded them of him. Like I said, none of them are hardcore Disney fans.

tnemgif

You know you're a Disney freak when you're trying to make a connection between the Dream Finder and a South Park character that barely resembles him...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom