South Park does Journey Into Imagination Spoof

Misty

User Terminated
If you are someone that doesn't want to believe that South Park does parodies of Disney all the time, so be it,

Obviously, you weren't paying attention to what I've said. I never said that South Park never parodies Disney. I said they are not doing it in this episode. People are looking for clues and similarities that aren't there because they want so badly for this to be an homage to Disney and specifically to Dreamfinder. It isn't. :rolleyes:

The blimp is the exact one that Dreamfinder use to fly on the ride.

No it isn't. It has some of the characteristics that all blimps (some real, some fictional) share. That doesn't make it an homage to this specific blimp.

You probably don't think they were using Saving Private Ryan either.

Yes I did catch that part and thought it was hilarious. If anything, the episode was more of an homage to Saving Private Ryan than it was to Dreamfinder (or anything Disney for that matter). That reference, at least, was pretty clear cut and obvious.

jmvd20

I just watched this episode and it is defintiely one of the best SP episodes so far.

There are so many references to things in this episode it is hard to try and sort them all out. However the only things I can relate in any way to JII is the male character in the blimp ( though he seems like a mix of Dreamfinder, the Wizard of Oz, and Willy Wonka). And the Imagination song - though that one may be a little stretch.

The blimp however reminds me of the airship in Final Fantasy games more than the Dreamfinder machine.

I guess it just comes down to how things are perceived by different people and while there is no doubt some references to Disney and JII specifically the episode in no way, shape or form is based upon those alone.

Disney fans on Disney boards are talking about JII big time... none of the other SP boards are - at least the ones I checked.

Edit: I just watched the scene again and I have got to say that the balloon is taken from the Wizard of Oz.

AEfx

Really? How many? You seem to possess some special insight into this phenomenon. Can you point me to a resource where I can get more information, such as where you got your information on the topic?

Sure. Get a job as a PA/office assistant/post-production worker pretty much anywhere in the entertainment industry, or get know people who are in such positions, and you can see for yourself.

Something tells me with your winning people skills you'll be a shoo-in. :rolleyes:

AEfx

ctwhalerman

I was the only one in my apartment who got the spoof! So proud....

Anyone see the "Drawn Together" spoof of the old Carousel of Progress. They sang "Now is the Time" three times!

goofyfan13

Wow, this is just amazing... or dare I say, ....UNBELIEVABLE... that so many of you have friends or acquaintances who know hardly anything about Disney, and yet you all managed to coincidentally have conversations with these people and they ALL made the connection between the South Park episode and Dreamfinder! :hammer:

Disbelieve all you want, I was there, I heard my friends say it. :rolleyes:

AEfx

And the Imagination song - though that one may be a little stretch.

Yeah, one goes "Imag-in-a-tion, Imag-in-a-tion..." and the other goes, "Im-ag-ination, Im-ag-ination."

Such a clear difference LOL. :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone has been saying "the entire thing is WHOLLY about Dreamfinder", but the juxtaposition of the similarities in costume (he looks a lot more like Dreamfinder than either of the other character homages you mentioned), the airship, and the song...it's pretty clear to anyone (well, those who made it past "juxtaposition" earlier in this sentence) that it definitely was inspired at least partly by our beloved former ride host.

AEfx

Misty

User Terminated
I just watched this episode and it is defintiely one of the best SP episodes so far.

I thought so too! It ranks up there with the one where Mr Garrison builds that travel contraption called the "It" and also the one where the boys build a ladder to heaven....two of my favorite episodes.

the male character in the blimp ( though he seems like a mix of Dreamfinder, the Wizard of Oz, and Willy Wonka).

Other sites have made that comparison as well, and that's what I thought too when I saw it. If it was meant to be Dreamfinder, I'm sure he would at least have had a beard, but other characteristics were glaringly absent (or different) as well.

And the Imagination song - though that one may be a little stretch.

I'd call that one a MAJOR stretch. People are citing this one detail as the indisputable proof that it's "clearly" supposed to be Dreamfinder. Last time I checked, the word "Imagination" was not exclusively a Disney term.

The blimp however reminds me of the airship in Final Fantasy games more than the Dreamfinder machine.

Yes. It looks much more like that blimp than it does the one in JII. You're right.

Disney fans on Disney boards are talking about JII big time... none of the other SP boards are - at least the ones I checked.

Me either.

jmvd20

Yeah, one goes "Imag-in-a-tion, Imag-in-a-tion..." and the other goes, "Im-ag-ination, Im-ag-ination."

Such a clear difference LOL. :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone has been saying "the entire thing is WHOLLY about Dreamfinder", but the juxtaposition of the similarities in costume (he looks a lot more like Dreamfinder than either of the other character homages you mentioned), the airship, and the song...it's pretty clear to anyone (well, those who made it past "juxtaposition" earlier in this sentence) that it definitely was inspired at least partly by our beloved former ride host.

AEfx

The first time I saw the episode and heard the Imagination song I kept thinking "where is that from" - I still haven't been able to make the connection but I do not feel it is based upon the song from JII. It just happens to be one of those things that gets caught in your mind and drives you crazy. I'll either make the connection or get a massive migraine from trying to figure it out - if the headache happens first I will surrender the point :lol:

There are definitely references to Dreamfinder in the episode, I have no doubt about that. If my post gave that impression it was not my intention. It just seems to me that some people (not necessarily here but other sites) think that this episode is based upon JII which is not the case. Actually I think it would be easier to list cartoons/science fiction things NOT represented in the episode than it would be to list the ones that are!

Some of this may stem from the fact that the airship and dreamfinder character may have bits and pieces from a number of different stories and some people pick out ones easier than others. I can definitely see the Dream Machine in the blimp but also see Willy Wonka's flying bubble and the Wizards balloon as well. It is only my opinion but I do feel that the references to JII are weaker than a lot of other people here do.

At the absolute least it has given me something to discuss tonight which is good because I need an excuse to put off finishing a report for another day... or two :D

jmvd20

I'd call that one a MAJOR stretch. People are citing this one detail as the indisputable proof that it's "clearly" supposed to be Dreamfinder. Last time I checked, the word "Imagination" was not exclusively a Disney term.

Have you seen anyone make a reference to what they think it is a parody of if it is indeed not the song from JII? As I stated above I know I have heard a similar song but just cannot place it.

hokielutz

Misty,

It really isn't a major stretch for one to conclude that this song might be ripped from JII. If someone can point to another, partially known song that repeats the word Imagination.... over and over.... then we can debate that issue.

Also, I don't think anyone is saying the word "Imagination" is exclusively Disney's. Not at all.

What led me to believe South Park was making a reference to JII is the combination of the three elements that everyone is citing, the funny man, the blimp flying machine, and the song. Each of these elements alone, as presented by South Park, probably would not cause us to sit-up and take notice. But the fact that all three of these elements were used... it makes it hard to not believe they are referencing Dreamfinder.
Again, as I said earlier... if they tried to make the man, the blimp, or the song closer to the actual items from JII, they would probably be talking to Disney's attorneys right now.

One other point.... after the blimp lands in "Imagination Land," that's where the references to the ride stop. No other hints, from what I saw were being tossed into the story line. Plenty of other items were presented such as:
Middle East tensions & our Military response
Saving Private Ryan
And Cartoon characters from across the spectrum.

So I know that this episode is not a specific homage to the ride, but it does give JII a nod. This is my opinion and belief. And so far, none of the arguments against it really hold water.

tnemgif

...that happens to be flying in a blimp and singing "Imaaaagination".

You win this time, oh detector of truths.

I was making a joke. I think it resembles the dreamfinder too, but only vaguely. I don't doubt that the character was derived from the dreamfinder, but find it funny that hundreds of us make that connection instantly when we see a blimp and a fat guy wih a mustache...

dandaman

Reiterating from two days ago...

picard.jpeg

dandaman

I was actually just watching it again (the first, obviously), and was just wondering if it was tonight or tomorrow. Thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom