South Park does Journey Into Imagination Spoof

Buford

Sorry, but I can't believe people think this is supposed to be a reference to Dreamfinder. It looks nothing like him. :rolleyes:
How bout this...... think about a flying dreamlike blimp vehicle.... in the sky.... being piloted by a kinda jolly guy singing "Imagination" over and over :lol:

diddy_mouse

I thought that was pretty funny! :lol: When my DH walked in and saw all of the characters in Imaginationland he said: "Wow, that's a lot of copyright infringement." :lol:

The Mak

Sorry, but I can't believe people think this is supposed to be a reference to Dreamfinder. It looks nothing like him. :rolleyes:

Maybe this will help you a bit:

imaginationmankt9.jpg

40 hours in mspaint

JLW11Hi

Of course its a reference to Dreamfinder. A parody of something doesn't necessarily have to be an outright copy of the thing its poking fun at, it just has to contain the essence of the original. He wears the quirky clothes, flys around in a blimp run on imagination, and sings "Imaaagination" over and over.

Not a coincidence!

Misty

User Terminated
Of course its a reference to Dreamfinder. A parody of something doesn't necessarily have to be an outright copy of the thing its poking fun at, it just has to contain the essence of the original. He wears the quirky clothes, flys around in a blimp run on imagination, and sings "Imaaagination" over and over.

Not a coincidence!

A major stretch. Once again, I think you (and others) are looking for similarities because you want to believe it's some sort of tribute or parody of Dreamfinder. It isn't. Accept it. This is the only site where people are posting these observations. If it was meant as a reference to Dreamfinder and/or Journey into Imagination, don't you think other people on other sites would have caught it too?

Misty

User Terminated

Sorry, what I should have said was only Disney fan sites are making the connection. South Park parodies are generally not aimed at only one type of fan base.

And how do you explain the presence of a TON of non-Disney characters in the Imaginationland segment? How does this, in any way, make the episode and homage to anything Disney??:hammer:

dolbyman

Sorry, what I should have said was only Disney fan sites are making the connection. South Park parodies are generally not aimed at only one type of fan base.
allmost all "hardcore" disney nuts (and these are the audience for such a reference.. it's an insiders reference) are somehow gathered in some sort of forum.. there may be some without internet access .. but those wouldn't show up in other forums either ;)

And how do you explain the presence of a TON of non-Disney characters in the Imaginationland segment? How does this, in any way, make the episode and homage to anything Disney??

so other people could enjoy the episode too ? besides if only disney characters were in this land .. maybe disney suits would sneak up to the creators

JLW11Hi

A major stretch. Once again, I think you (and others) are looking for similarities because you want to believe it's some sort of tribute or parody of Dreamfinder. It isn't. Accept it. This is the only site where people are posting these observations. If it was meant as a reference to Dreamfinder and/or Journey into Imagination, don't you think other people on other sites would have caught it too?

Really? You honestly don't think it was a reference to Dreamfinder? I think thats a major stretch. I'm not even being the fan boy who want's to see a tribute to the guy. I just know that thats what they intended. This isn't the first time Matt and Trey have spoofed the Disney parks. The one where Cartman gets his own theme park? The whole thing is a parody of the Magic Kingdom.

Most of the characters that popped up on that episode were pretty obscure. Why does it matter whether or not people on other sites caught it?

cmatt

at first i thought you were being sarcastic....

...:zipit:

as the poster prior to me, im not a lee7 disney fan boi. I just like the rides and pirates of the carribean, and stich....;)

and i can tell that is a direct p... take...

danv3

There really was no more doubt that it was Dreamfinder when he got on his flying ship and started singing "Imagination" over and over again.

Wilt Dasney

Why does it have to be all or nothing? Obviously the guy isn't THE Dreamfinder, but it seems fair to say he was probably inspired by Dreamfinder. And it doesn't surprise me that only Disney fans would get the reference, since we're talking about a pretty obscure character from an attraction that doesn't exist anymore.

I think all of the "it's him!" vs. "it's not him!" seems to kind of miss the point. :shrug:

goofyfan13

I also had several friends (who are not even remotely close to being Disney geeks) as me about the reference to the Dreamfinder. When people like that can put the reference together....come on.

davidpw97

The episode is on again at 10PM tonight, hopefully everyone who hasn't seen it or only seen clips can catch the full thing.

ErickainPA

I caught part of it the other day and just couldn't place the name of the guy doing the imagination song. Watched it again now and told DH that is suppose to be a spoof of Dreamfinder (he never saw Him in the original Journey. He laughed when he saw it though, because he thought the same thing from the pictures I showed him of the old Journey

AEfx

Have you seen the episode?

I watch South Park every week, and for the first part of the episode I was thinking my overactive Disney-love was tainting my view. And then the airship. And then the endless repetition of the "Imagination" melody sounding pretty darn close to Figment in both delivery and pitch?

Like many things in South Park, it is a multi-angled parody. It works on several levels, starts with the Dreamfinder character and then builds on it by giving "Imagination" land life. Like any good South Park, it melds together several things into an amusing whole.

It was definitely an homage to Dreamfinder/Journey to Imagination. There is simply no doubt if you've seen the episode, it's so ubiquitous throughout thing.

AEfx

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom