Some restaurants get new dress code

Computer Magic

This was on MousePlanet so I thought it was worth passing it on.

Flip-flops will keep you from being seated at several restaurants at Walt Disney World hotels, thanks to a new dress code. Seven of the resort's spiffiest restaurants have upgraded to a “business casual” requirement. The restaurants involved are:
  • Jiko (Animal Kingdom Lodge)
  • Flying Fish (BoardWalk)
  • California Grill (Contemporary)
  • Citricos and Narcoossee's (Grand Floridian)
  • Artist Point (Wilderness Lodge)
  • Yachtsman Steakhouse (Yacht Club)
The restaurants are defining “business casual” as dress shorts, pants, jean pants, collared shirts, blouses and sweaters. Hats, swimsuits, swimsuit coveralls, tank tops, T-shirts, torn clothing and flip-flops are not permitted.

I always thought yactsman was business casusal, as I was there in May. Not sure about the others.

Woody13

mrtoad said:
Yes that is true, but the inconvience of having to go back to your resort and change...
Most restaurants that have a dress code also supply the clothes you may need to satisfy their requirement. If, for example, their dress code requires a jacket and tie and you are without, they will have jackets and ties available for you to wear. Heck, I went to a McDonald's yesterday and they had a sign on the entrance that required customers to wear "shoes or socks". That sign also informed guests that socks were available for sale at the cost of $1.00 a pair.

Upvote 0

Slosh

I'm not sure if its been addressed, and no offense intended here, but theres few things that can ruin a good meal like a handful of parkgoers who not only look, but SMELL like theyve been outside all day. Maybe I have a more sensitive nose than some people, but nobody here can say they want that smell in their dining room. Especially when spending as much as is spent at a place like California Grill. I'm not trying to say tourists all smell funny. I'm not saying you smell funny. I'm just saying, before you go out and spend 50 bucks a plate for dinner, take a shower and put on some clean clothes. And hey, while you're getting changed anyways, wear something less annoying than noisy flip flops, torn board shorts, and a "surf naked" tshirt.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

I think we are getting away from the point. I am not talking about the slobs who come into a restaurant and DO need to go back to the resort to shower and change! I Am not talking about people who come in with ripped shorts, tank tops without proper undergarments, beachwear etc. THAT I understand. I Am much more middle of the road as far as my dress style. I will wear shorts, definitely my Disneyworld T shirts and sneakers or sandals ( whichever one I happened to chuck on that morning) I am almost positive that I would be let into any of the 6 restaurants without an issue dressed as I was for the parks. I do not comport myself in a manner that would be described as boorish or unmannerly, but I have to go with Mr Toad on this. Unless Disney can provide some sort of alternative transportation rather than leaving the parks and giving myself 2 hour or so to get to a dining location, I have a problem! I understand that these are higher class places and certainly have no problem acting accordingly. As I said before I am also dressed in what I would call Resort Casual in most cases anyhow ( Unless I am by the pool which doesnt apply) I am certainly not dressed in business casual by any means nor will I do so. I Am going on vacation to get away from the dress code that I deal with everyday! Then again business casual in my office prohibits sneakers or sandals, not just flip flops!!! Picture that at Disneyworld!!! I Am NOT going to wear my high heel pumps to a Disney park. I dont consider it appropriate at all, not to mention downright painful. I guess this is why I am having such a problem regarding this policy. Business Casual to me is anything but casual in my office. And my office isnt even particularly strict on this! There are law firms and others that are far more strict regarding what is appropriate business wear. Incidentally if I plan to get married in Disney I fully intend to not really have the parks be my primary focus on that day. I will be arranging for alternate transportation to and from the location and I think that I would be wearing something ( Most likely a dress and heels) that would be acceptable in any higher class restaurant up to and including V & A's!!! If my primary focus in the parks, I will be dressed quite a bit less elegantly although certainly not sloppy and I would expect to be allowed in to a restaurant of my choice to dine. If due to the dress code I cant dine there, I Am pretty certain that that would comfortably knock out 90% of the people who attended the restaurant. The one and only time I have ever been to the Yachtsman it was VERY quiet and not a lot of people were dining there anyhow. Why would you choose to alienate more people by imposing a dress code? Belle

Upvote 0

Jekyll Baker

Everytime I've ever eaten at Artist Point or Jiko (the only 2 on the list I've been to), I'd always been dressed "business casual" and I don't think I've seen anyone there not dressed appropriately. I always thought the atmosphere of those particular restaurants demanded a little better dress, even if it wasn't required.

Upvote 0

epcotfan

Jekyll Baker said:
Everytime I've ever eaten at Artist Point or Jiko (the only 2 on the list I've been to), I'd always been dressed "business casual" and I don't think I've seen anyone there not dressed appropriately. I always thought the atmosphere of those particular restaurants demanded a little better dress, even if it wasn't required.

I agree with you.

Upvote 0

ReneeW

MouseMadness said:
So no flip flops, huh? :( What if they're really cute beaded and sparkly flip flops? :lookaroun

Well, they were good enough for the White House. To those that wear flip flops around the park, do your feet hurt more after awhile than if you wore tennis shoes? I love the cool, not stuffy feeling, of flip flops, but I have a feeling my feet would be worn out.

Upvote 0

Dukeblue1016

I have not read every post, just the first page pretty much so i apologize if this confirmation was already made... but anyways here's what I know.

I called the Disney Dine yesterday to make reservations and they told me about the business casual dress for one of the places I am dining at. I then asked them if a nice pair of sandals were to be ok and she said yes, they just dont want like your poolside flip-flops.

Also, as others have said, I am sure they are not going to be strict as long as you look presentable, but... if you have a nice pair of sandals, those will be just fine.

Upvote 0

ArielBelle

Although I am the type who likes to get dressed up, whether I am eating at Fridays, Spoodles or Flying Fish---it's finner and you are on vacation.

I, personally, think that part of eating in a very nice and rather expensive restaurant (such as those listed with a dress code) is looking nice. If you can go and spend $100+ on a meal, you should look nice. Not grimy and crummy.

It's like going on a cruise and seeing a few ppl who dress rather casual even for formal night--you are enjoying a very expensive experience and you should"look the part".

These restaurants are all beautiful, and I feel that dressing up goes with the atmosphere.

Upvote 0

bsandersjr

This kinda makes me wonder exactly what some people were wearing for WDW to implement these rules. Yeah, I know they were wearing the "outlawed" stuff, but man, it must have been pretty bad!

Upvote 0

mrtoad

Staying at the Contemporary is out of my range, so in your book that means I don't deserve to go?

Did anyone every tell you your tone makes you sound like a snob by the way? If not I am telling you now you come off as a snob.

The policy is what it is, I don't like it but will have to deal with that.
The perception you give off in your posts in this thread on the other hand irk me to no end. I could care less if you have a different opinion as you have every right. I just don't care for your snob act...

mousermerf said:
My meal at the California Grill lasted 3-4 hours... I don't recall getting anywhere in WDW taking that long ever.

If you want it to be convienent, you have to pay for it. For California Grill, stay at the Contemporary. You're just an elevator ride away!

Yachtsman at the Yacht Club.. Artist Pointe at the Wilderness Lodge... anyone else noticing the deluxe resort trend?

Charging a premium for a premium service is not unfair.

Charging too much for something that people NEED is unfair and extortion.

Let's goto the Living Seas DiveQuest! It's pricey. Plus, you have to know how to dive already, meaning you had to goto school and pay for that before hand. That's not unfair. However, if they make you pay $8,000 to use their air tank after throwing you in the tank and holding your head under water - then that's unfair and extortion.

Upvote 0

MouseMadness

ReneeW said:
Well, they were good enough for the White House. To those that wear flip flops around the park, do your feet hurt more after awhile than if you wore tennis shoes? I love the cool, not stuffy feeling, of flip flops, but I have a feeling my feet would be worn out.

Well, if you get some good ones, with a nice sole that has arch support and whatnot, I've never had a problem, BUT I also don't wear the same pair of shoes all day long. We're usually back at the resort mid afternoon, and I'll change to a different pair of shoes. :)

Oh, and I brought this up to my mother in law, who was really disappointed. She said half the appeal for her and my father in law is being able to go to REALLY nice restaurants and not have to worry about looking dressed up.

Upvote 0

celticdog

My god, I can't beleive all the whining. Many of you sound as though this is some great imposition placed upon you. Some even imply, that just because they are on staying on property, they are entitled to dinner at any restuarant with any attire they choose. I am personally glad to see a dress code. I can hangout in my kitchen in t-shirt, shorts and flipflops, but when on vacation, I prefer to look nice and I'd prefer those around me (at the nicer resaurants) to look appropriate as well. The casual (or sloppy) movement has gone too far, it's time to bring some decorum back into dining.

Upvote 0

Ashitaka

I'll just quickly voice my opinion on this one as I have gotten into an arguement about this very topic before on this forum.

I'm one of the people who like this policy. Each time I go to Disney World I set aside one evening to have a fine meal at one of the resort restaurants, usually California Grill. I feel far more comfortable at this leisurely meal if I go back to my room to shower and change out of the clothes I had been wearing in the theme parks. Sometimes I choose that day to have a relaxed afternoon at the resort pool to try to recover from a few prior days of being a theme park commando.

If there isn't time to make it back for a shower and change, it really doesn't seem to be that big of a deal to make sure on that one day of the vacation to put on a polo shirt instead of a tee-shirt and some khaki shorts instead of jean shorts before you head out for the day. They take up the exact same amount of room in your luggage.

As for footware, I'd expect that as long as you don't have on your pool flip-flops, they won't even take a second look.

Disney is not asking you to put on a jacket and tie at these places (unlike V&A's). They just want to make sure everyone is presentable for a nice meal. To do that, they need a policy in place.

"Everybody neat and pretty? Now on with the show!" - Mickey Mouse :wave:

Upvote 0

wannab@dis

mrtoad said:
Staying at the Contemporary is out of my range, so in your book that means I don't deserve to go?

Did anyone every tell you your tone makes you sound like a snob by the way? If not I am telling you now you come off as a snob.

The policy is what it is, I don't like it but will have to deal with that.
The perception you give off in your posts in this thread on the other hand irk me to no end. I could care less if you have a different opinion as you have every right. I just don't care for your snob act...

I don't agree with you. I think he was simply stating facts and you took it the wrong way since you didn't agree.

It's a fact that the nicer restaurants are in the resorts that happen to be higher scale. You and everyone else have the right to eat there, but you should follow the simple rules to dress accordingly. I'm sorry that you feel it's not fair, but everything in life is not fair to everyone.

I personally don't agree with the "it's not fair" argument since it's a choice to go there. If you don't want to abide by the rules or you don't like the rules, then don't go. Simple. You are not entitled to visit that restaurant. You can choose to go, but in doing so, you have to follow their rules.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom