Some restaurants get new dress code

Computer Magic

This was on MousePlanet so I thought it was worth passing it on.

Flip-flops will keep you from being seated at several restaurants at Walt Disney World hotels, thanks to a new dress code. Seven of the resort's spiffiest restaurants have upgraded to a “business casual” requirement. The restaurants involved are:
  • Jiko (Animal Kingdom Lodge)
  • Flying Fish (BoardWalk)
  • California Grill (Contemporary)
  • Citricos and Narcoossee's (Grand Floridian)
  • Artist Point (Wilderness Lodge)
  • Yachtsman Steakhouse (Yacht Club)
The restaurants are defining “business casual” as dress shorts, pants, jean pants, collared shirts, blouses and sweaters. Hats, swimsuits, swimsuit coveralls, tank tops, T-shirts, torn clothing and flip-flops are not permitted.

I always thought yactsman was business casusal, as I was there in May. Not sure about the others.

Tara Mae

I just don't get it.

I just don't get it.

And I just don't get it.

Flip-flops are becoming a popular trend. I go to fancy restraunts all the time where adults are wearing them. They even make dress flops! So I see no reason in banning them. Sometimes they make great dress shoes.

And banning swimsuits, yeah, that's understood, but I do no I do not own anything dressy, so Yachtsman SteakHouse just lost my business. I went in there last year wearing a Tanktop with the "Reeses" logo and shorts with A rose on the end, and I was comfortable.

I like to be comfortable when I eat. Having a dress code anywhere in Disney is ridiculous. Could you imagine if they banned tank tops in the French Bistors in Epcot? Hello, during the summer, that's all people wear! *rolls eyes*

Another reason to stop going to Disney

Upvote 0

epcotfan

I myself, like dressing up a little nicer for lunch or dinner, depending on the type of restaurant and occasion. For some reason it makes it seem a little more special. I don't have a problem with Disney adapting a dress code (even though they probably won't enforce it) I certainly can't be the only one here that likes getting out of their theme park clothes to have a fancier meal. I'm not talking suits, or cocktail dresses. Just business/resort casual. Nothing really fancy. I guess I have an old school mindset in that years ago people actually dressed up to board planes and wore business attire to theatre so this new policy doesn't bother me.

Upvote 0

lawyergirl77

Tara Mae said:
I just don't get it.

I just don't get it.

And I just don't get it.

Flip-flops are becoming a popular trend. I go to fancy restraunts all the time where adults are wearing them. They even make dress flops! So I see no reason in banning them. Sometimes they make great dress shoes.

And banning swimsuits, yeah, that's understood, but I do no I do not own anything dressy, so Yachtsman SteakHouse just lost my business. I went in there last year wearing a Tanktop with the "Reeses" logo and shorts with A rose on the end, and I was comfortable.

I like to be comfortable when I eat. Having a dress code anywhere in Disney is ridiculous. Could you imagine if they banned tank tops in the French Bistors in Epcot? Hello, during the summer, that's all people wear! *rolls eyes*

Another reason to stop going to Disney

I can't believe I'm posting in this thread yet again, but here goes...

I don't think that having a dress code at some of the nicer and more expensive Disney restaurants that are in the resorts and NOT in the parks is unreasonable, let alone ridiculous! Part of the thought behind dress codes in general is the fact that if people have to dress up to go there then people tend to treat their surroundings with more respect and their behaviour improves as a result of that changed perception.

I stand by my belief that nice tank tops and flip flops will be allowed at all of these restaurants. They just don't want men to be wearing the tank tops, to be frank, and TWDC doesn't want to start issuing gender-based dress codes. Would lead to even more of a nightmare than what we're all complaining about.

Finally, once again, I don't think that what they're asking for is unreasonable, let alone something that won't let people be comfortable!!! They aren't asking for jackets and closed-toe shoes, for crying out loud!! Just for people to treat going out to these places as a little more special than a counter service meal... I LOATHE being uncomfortable, especially when I'm on vacation, and I am very much of a jeans and t-shirt girl. That being said, if I go out for a nice dinner, I think it's appropriate to get dressed up and it sets my teeth on edge to see yet another yahoo in his oversized tank top, chewing with his mouth open and not treating these places with respect. If a dress code gets him the heck out of there (or at least to close his effing mouth), then I applaud the change!!

Tell you what: I am volunteering to be the guinea pig. I have a nice Sunday dinner scheduled at Artist's Point on Sunday, September 4th. I will go there wearing flipflops and a tank top, along with a skirt (likely some kind of flowing peasanty thing - soooo comfy!). If they boot me or say something, then I will join all of you in the "burn the wiiiiitch!" chant. If they don't then I will try to keep the "I told you so" gloating to a minimum... ;)

Finally, if this is "another reason to stop going to Disney", then it's unfortunate that a policy change at 6 resort restaurants is going to lead people to stop taking vacations at the Happiest Place on Earth! If it's that much of a pain, then don't go there. More salmon, buffalo, sushi, seafood for me! *collapses in a puddle of drool at the thought of that nummy food*:wave:

Upvote 0

mrtoad

I don't think you are getting what most are arguing here. I don't think people have an issue with restaurants having a better dress code than shorts and tee shirts. When I go out with my wife for dinner I will wear a button up shirt and dockers or a jacket if the restaurant warrants it. This is in the real world where if it is a weeknight, I can drive in my car to my house from my office and change. Or if it is a weekend and we are out for the day, again we get in the car drive home and change and go out.

As much as I love Walt Disney World it is not the real world. Most people don't have cars with them they are taking the buses or monorails. Even if they are taking cars with them, it is a major process to get to them. For someone who is now in a park all day rather than the office they need to leave super early from the park to go get changed and then head over to the restaurant. If you are going to go back to your resort on the bus and leave the MK and head to you bus you can sit for 20 minutes waiting for that bus. Take the bus ride, another 20 minutes. Walk to your room 5 to 10 minutes. If you all are now going to shower say and their are 3 of you , add 15 minutes per head. Then change (or skip the shower, up to you) 15 more minutes. Walk to you bus, 5 to 10 minutes. Oops, the bus just left, 20 minute wait. Bus comes, take it to a park 20 minutes. Get off the bus, walk to the bus stop that takes you to the hotel that the restaurant you were eating in wait 20 minutes because it just left 1 minute ago. Take the bus for 20 minutes to the resort that has the restaurant in it. Walk to the restaurant 5 minutes.

All that than take the bus from your park to the restuarant of your choice.

You are right, it was silly of all of us to think this is a bad change in policy. :rolleyes:

lawyergirl77 said:

I don't think that having a dress code at some of the nicer and more expensive Disney restaurants that are in the resorts and NOT in the parks is unreasonable, let alone ridiculous! Part of the thought behind dress codes in general is the fact that if people have to dress up to go there then people tend to treat their surroundings with more respect and their behaviour improves as a result of that changed perception.

I stand by my belief that nice tank tops and flip flops will be allowed at all of these restaurants. They just don't want men to be wearing the tank tops, to be frank, and TWDC doesn't want to start issuing gender-based dress codes. Would lead to even more of a nightmare than what we're all complaining about.

Finally, once again, I don't think that what they're asking for is unreasonable, let alone something that won't let people be comfortable!!! They aren't asking for jackets and closed-toe shoes, for crying out loud!! Just for people to treat going out to these places as a little more special than a counter service meal... I LOATHE being uncomfortable, especially when I'm on vacation, and I am very much of a jeans and t-shirt girl. That being said, if I go out for a nice dinner, I think it's appropriate to get dressed up and it sets my teeth on edge to see yet another yahoo in his oversized tank top, chewing with his mouth open and not treating these places with respect. If a dress code gets him the heck out of there (or at least to close his effing mouth), then I applaud the change!!

Tell you what: I am volunteering to be the guinea pig. I have a nice Sunday dinner scheduled at Artist's Point on Sunday, September 4th. I will go there wearing flipflops and a tank top, along with a skirt (likely some kind of flowing peasanty thing - soooo comfy!). If they boot me or say something, then I will join all of you in the "burn the wiiiiitch!" chant. If they don't then I will try to keep the "I told you so" gloating to a minimum... ;)

Finally, if this is "another reason to stop going to Disney", then it's unfortunate that a policy change at 6 resort restaurants is going to lead people to stop taking vacations at the Happiest Place on Earth! If it's that much of a pain, then don't go there. More salmon, buffalo, sushi, seafood for me! *collapses in a puddle of drool at the thought of that nummy food*:wave:

Upvote 0

lawyergirl77

mrtoad said:
I don't think you are getting what most are arguing here. I don't think people have an issue with restaurants having a better dress code than shorts and tee shirts. When I go out with my wife for dinner I will wear a button up shirt and dockers or a jacket if the restaurant warrants it. This is in the real world where if it is a weeknight, I can drive in my car to my house from my office and change. Or if it is a weekend and we are out for the day, again we get in the car drive home and change and go out.

As much as I love Walt Disney World it is not the real world. Most people don't have cars with them they are taking the buses or monorails. Even if they are taking cars with them, it is a major process to get to them. For someone who is now in a park all day rather than the office they need to leave super early from the park to go get changed and then head over to the restaurant. If you are going to go back to your resort on the bus and leave the MK and head to you bus you can sit for 20 minutes waiting for that bus. Take the bus ride, another 20 minutes. Walk to your room 5 to 10 minutes. If you all are now going to shower say and their are 3 of you , add 15 minutes per head. Then change (or skip the shower, up to you) 15 more minutes. Walk to you bus, 5 to 10 minutes. Oops, the bus just left, 20 minute wait. Bus comes, take it to a park 20 minutes. Get off the bus, walk to the bus stop that takes you to the hotel that the restaurant you were eating in wait 20 minutes because it just left 1 minute ago. Take the bus for 20 minutes to the resort that has the restaurant in it. Walk to the restaurant 5 minutes.

All that than take the bus from your park to the restuarant of your choice.

You are right, it was silly of all of us to think this is a bad change in policy. :rolleyes:
Never said that it was "silly" for people to think it's a bad change in policy! I'm just trying to point out what I think, and to point out that it's a change to 6 restaurants that are at resorts, and not even in the parks themselves in the first place. A thousand apologies for the offense you took at my comments - I do try to keep them as level as possible in here since it seems that it only takes a small spark to ignite a huge forest fire of a flame war around here!!

I guess it all comes down to the fact that I don't get why this is so onerous. I will, in fact, wear the same stuff that I am wearing to Artist's Point that Sunday night to the MK afterwards. And I am not staying at the WL, but rather at the AKL. I don't see why all of the multiple bus kerfuffle you described in your post needs to take place. It's possible to be comfortable and look respectable (which is really all that this dress code realistically hopes to achieve)! Again, I don't see how it's an "either or" thing.

I TOTALLY agree that they should never, EVER try to do this in the nicer park restaurants (BD and Le Cellier come to mind), but when it comes to these 6 restaurants that are away from the parks, I think that having a special policy is reasonable.

But, seeing as this conversation is starting to become as frustrating as shouting at a brick (which I do enough during a typical day), I'm going to step off my soapbox now and back away from the thread (in my tasteful flip flops!):wave:

Upvote 0

darthdarrel

lawyergirl77 said:

HEre is a photo of my and my 2 brothers at The Polynesian, this is basically how we dressed at The Narcossis and Shulas. I see nothing wrong with the way we are dressed. So what you are saying is that your 300 bucks is better then my 300 bucks?

Attachments

• Spirit of aloha.jpg
    Spirit of aloha.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 0

lawyergirl77

darthdarrel said:
HEre is a photo of my and my 2 brothers at The Polynesian, this is basically how we dressed at The Narcossis and Shulas. I see nothing wrong with the way we are dressed. So what you are saying is that your 300 bucks is better then my 300 bucks?
Dude, did I ever say that??? I personally don't give a crap what people wear (and I am certainly not a member of the fashion police)!! I just think that with dress codes comes a certain amount of, well, manners. These are nice restaurants - some people need a reminder that it's not good to yell at the top of your lungs about how crappy their food is, or to yell out loud that they need more wine and that their service is crap (has happened to me at two of the restaurants on this list that I have been to, all from people who were not dressed à la "business casual", to put it mildly).

Again, I think that you guys would have gotten in no problem. And if we're ever in any of these restaurants at the same time, I'll buy you a drink! :)

Geez, do I ever regret posting in here. People are getting the wrong impression, and it seems impossible for me to correct it...

Upvote 0

Tenny317

I enjoy when places have dress codes. Being a catholic school girl i know how a dress code works. I understand this because sometimes its obnoxious to go to a resturant and pay alot of money to eat there and you see this person with disgusting ripped and unappropriate clothing. You pay alot of money and shouldnt have to look at something like that. I'm sorry if thats prejudice its just that I have alot of fashion criticisms anyways haah...Its just frustrating when you pay alot of moeny to look at people looking inappropriate.

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
mrtoad said:
I would assume they were talking about then sitting at dinner with hat head. I personally think it is a mistake as it will force some guests to pick a less expensive place to eat rather than deal with hastle of changing. If you were to eat at the California grill at say 6:30 and you are at the MK and staying at POR You would have to leave the MK at around 4:00 to be sure to get back in time most likely. I think that is kind of beat and would stop me from eating there which is a real shame...

...and that's why it's working. The restaurants want a more formal atmosphere and if people can't be bothered to change - they really don't want them there.

The restaurant themselves are supposed to be the attraction when you get to this "level" of service.

As for my $300 example, that does include the fact that we ate all of courses offered on the menu at California Grill (appetizer, soup/starter, entree - i think we skipped dessert) and had several glasses of wine. We probably spent $70 on the wine alone as I tried various wines with each menu item since my waitress was giving me the "how to be a wine snob 101" lesson - I wasn't a wine drinker before this but now am an official snob. I also ended up tipping near the triple digits for such a great experience.

I digress, the restaurant's "clientel" includes people doing formal business dinners with conventions, married couples on their honeymoons, and others looking for a special night out. These are not all you eat or family style meals. In fact, this restaurants are not recommended for children by the restuarants themselves. They suggest bringing "older children" and feel that the atmosphere "may not be appropriate" for those younger ones.

Back to my spent-a-bit-much dinner, my friend and I were seated at the last seating of the night. We had other couples appropriately attired around us. If anyone had been there in a beat-up t-shirt and cut-off jean shorts with flip-flops smacking across the tile, I would have cringed. It just wouldn't be appropriate.

I feel most people who lash-out against dress codes see them as demeaning or insulting. Funny enough, it's never the people who are upset they're not allowed to wear a tie (yes, i actually like to wear ties). It's meant to raise the level of the experience, to make it special. You can get married in a t-shirt and jeans but most of us realize why that's not common. Those that don't, probably wont ever understand why we have dress codes either.

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
lawyergirl77 said:
Geez, do I ever regret posting in here. People are getting the wrong impression, and it seems impossible for me to correct it...

I still "luv" you lawyergirl - wanna take me to Artist's Pointe? :D

Upvote 0

mrtoad

mousermerf said:
Back to my spent-a-bit-much dinner, my friend and I were seated at the last seating of the night. We had other couples appropriately attired around us. If anyone had been there in a beat-up t-shirt and cut-off jean shorts with flip-flops smacking across the tile, I would have cringed. It just wouldn't be appropriate.

That quote is a little pompous sounding, don't you think?

I don't think anyone is talking about a beat up t shirt here, just being able to wear a t-shirt (a nice one). You make it sound like t-shirts and shorts make you a 3 tooth hillbilly or something. Both you and lawergirl have made some comments that are quite snobbish. Not sure if you are but your comments come off that way.

Last I checked WDW was for everyone, not just people with their noses stuck in the air....

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
See, that's the problem. Anyone can dress up.

It's not like "anyone who is white" or "anyone who can walk" or "anyone who wasn't born in New Jersey" (randomly chosen state, no idea if anyone in thsi thread is from there). It is open to everyone, and everyone can choose if they want to participate and play by the rules.

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Quick pre-emptive strike:

This is not a chance to lament the affordability of dress-ier clothes. There are people who can't afford clothing - period. They are not at WDW.

Disney is a luxury item - it's not like they're denying people water (which btw, we do pay for here in the USA). These restaurants are even moreso a luxury. No one is entitled to them.

Upvote 0

mrtoad

mousermerf said:
See, that's the problem. Anyone can dress up.

It's not like "anyone who is white" or "anyone who can walk" or "anyone who wasn't born in New Jersey" (randomly chosen state, no idea if anyone in thsi thread is from there). It is open to everyone, and everyone can choose if they want to participate and play by the rules.

Yes that is true, but the inconvience of having to go back to your resort and change which I tried to express earlier is an inconvience if you are "anyone who is white" or "anyone who can walk" or "anyone who wasn't born in New Jersey" (randomly chosen state, no idea if anyone in thsi thread is from there).

People are paying a ton of money to go to WDW and to have to cut your day super short to take in a nice dinner is not too fair in my thoughts. If everyone else is also coming form the parks and is dressed in park atire, there would not be those akward moments that make you cringe as you say.

The reason I never would eat at V&A is because I could not be bothered lugging a jacket down to WDW and have to go back to get ready for dinner.

I don't want to have to go back to the resort now either...

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
How is it not fair....?

You have the opportunity - you can do it if you choose to..

Because something is inconvienent for you does not make it unfair. We've had this discussion on this board before. Something changing to be inconvienent for you is not unfair. You are not entitled to it, you have no rights to it, you are not guaranteed it, and there is no reason to cater to your desires.

People will choose other restaurants (Goal 1, accomplished, spread the wealth and uncrowd the most popular places) and the people who go the "extra mile" are rewarded (Goal 2, accomplsihed, increase the "quality of service" at high-end restaurants).

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Follow up:

Not everyone travels the way you do. Some people could care less if they goto a park in a day. Some don't care about parks hours in the least. Some people don't even like sushii (freaks! - kidding).

Your priorities, your choice.

Upvote 0

mrtoad

Fair is subjective. I just think that if people are spending the amount of cash they are at WDW to ask them to forfeit a huge chunk of their day (more travel time than the meal you are going to) it is a huge hassle.

I have spent nearly a year of my life on WDW property. We generally eat at nice places and have spent unbeleivable amounts of money doing so. I am not the only guest who has done that either. To make us have to go and change to eat without a nice quick way of doing so, is a little be upsetting.

But it works out for you as you won't have to worry about cringing so much now...

mousermerf said:
How is it not fair....?

You have the opportunity - you can do it if you choose to..

Because something is inconvienent for you does not make it unfair. We've had this discussion on this board before. Something changing to be inconvienent for you is not unfair. You are not entitled to it, you have no rights to it, you are not guaranteed it, and there is no reason to cater to your desires.

People will choose other restaurants (Goal 1, accomplished, spread the wealth and uncrowd the most popular places) and the people who go the "extra mile" are rewarded (Goal 2, accomplsihed, increase the "quality of service" at high-end restaurants).

Upvote 0

mrtoad

mousermerf said:
Follow up:

Not everyone travels the way you do. Some people could care less if they goto a park in a day. Some don't care about parks hours in the least. Some people don't even like sushii (freaks! - kidding).

Your priorities, your choice.

Let's agree to dissagree (even though you are wrong :) ) as we are getting nowhere here.

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
My meal at the California Grill lasted 3-4 hours... I don't recall getting anywhere in WDW taking that long ever.

If you want it to be convienent, you have to pay for it. For California Grill, stay at the Contemporary. You're just an elevator ride away!

Yachtsman at the Yacht Club.. Artist Pointe at the Wilderness Lodge... anyone else noticing the deluxe resort trend?

Charging a premium for a premium service is not unfair.

Charging too much for something that people NEED is unfair and extortion.

Let's goto the Living Seas DiveQuest! It's pricey. Plus, you have to know how to dive already, meaning you had to goto school and pay for that before hand. That's not unfair. However, if they make you pay $8,000 to use their air tank after throwing you in the tank and holding your head under water - then that's unfair and extortion.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom