Some restaurants get new dress code

Computer Magic

This was on MousePlanet so I thought it was worth passing it on.

Flip-flops will keep you from being seated at several restaurants at Walt Disney World hotels, thanks to a new dress code. Seven of the resort's spiffiest restaurants have upgraded to a “business casual” requirement. The restaurants involved are:
  • Jiko (Animal Kingdom Lodge)
  • Flying Fish (BoardWalk)
  • California Grill (Contemporary)
  • Citricos and Narcoossee's (Grand Floridian)
  • Artist Point (Wilderness Lodge)
  • Yachtsman Steakhouse (Yacht Club)
The restaurants are defining “business casual” as dress shorts, pants, jean pants, collared shirts, blouses and sweaters. Hats, swimsuits, swimsuit coveralls, tank tops, T-shirts, torn clothing and flip-flops are not permitted.

I always thought yactsman was business casusal, as I was there in May. Not sure about the others.

surfsupdon

I like the new rule. I enjoy having nice restaurants to choose from that you ahve to get dressed a little up for anyway.

And it seems my family may be in the minority. We always pack casual evening dinner clothes for the nights we have sit down meals. Usually every day/afternoon is spent scrounging in bathing suits and sleeveless Ts but we always go casual in the evening, especially now that my sister and I are older.

Let's see how strict the policy is enforced...

Upvote 0

crazycalf

This dress code has been around since at least Feburary.

Also, the resturants do not cost that $300 for 2 people. We did Flying Fish for 2 people for under $100. Narcoose was like $125 with drinks for 2.

Another resturant not on the list that would be business casual is Shula's @ the swan or dolphin.

Upvote 0

darthdarrel

We ate at Narcossis for 110 bucks for 2 people and we at Shulas for 200 bucks for 2 people and at both places we both wore a t shirt and dress shorts and sandals as was previously mentioned it is a pain in the butt to have to go back to your resort then change, we went straight from the parks.I do not bring pants ever when I travel to Orlando I hate lugging around all that luggage so I travel as light as possible.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hey Mouse merf, I came no where close to spending $300.00 per person. The only restaurant that might come close to that from what I understand ( Liquor aside) might be Victoria & Albert's which I do plan on doing at some point. I can certainly understand that particular restaurant as it seems to be more of an event than just dinner. I went to the Yachtsman one night for dinner right in between my time in EPCOT. If I had to go back to my resort to change to eat there I dont know if I would have bothered! I prefer to be casual during my vacations. I Am very much a jeans and t shirt type of girl and my vacations in Disney reflect that. I am not adverse to spending nice money to eat in an equally nice restaurant but to impose a business casual dress code?? It seems a bit much to me....Belle

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

Disney enforcement, yeah right, don't make my laugh. Disney doesn't enforce things, they have policies and then let people do whatever they want. Cases in point non-resort guests at EMH's on rides and smoking policy.

I don't dress like a slob, I have nice shorts and t-shirt. I don't want to do business casual on my vacation, that's the whole idea of getting away from it all. And, like Belle said, it's Disney after all. I don't want to go back to my hotel to get dressed, because when I'm out of the room, I'm out for the day.

I've eaten at both the Flying Fish and Yachtman for far less than $300, you need to have quite a few drinks or bottles of wine for that price.

I can understand that they don't want people looking like rag a muffins and beachwear is not appropriate attire in the evening at restaurant, except for foodcourts and counter service, but I highly doubt they will turn someone away, since we know that the all mighty $ really runs disney.

Upvote 0

lawyergirl77

wannabeBelle said:
Hey Mouse merf, I came no where close to spending $300.00 per person. The only restaurant that might come close to that from what I understand ( Liquor aside) might be Victoria & Albert's which I do plan on doing at some point. I can certainly understand that particular restaurant as it seems to be more of an event than just dinner. I went to the Yachtsman one night for dinner right in between my time in EPCOT. If I had to go back to my resort to change to eat there I dont know if I would have bothered! I prefer to be casual during my vacations. I Am very much a jeans and t shirt type of girl and my vacations in Disney reflect that. I am not adverse to spending nice money to eat in an equally nice restaurant but to impose a business casual dress code?? It seems a bit much to me....Belle

Ditto - DH and I only (heh!) hit $125 at Artist's Point, and that was with an appetizer, entrée and dessert each (No wine for me that day - had taken migraine meds.

That being said, I have no problems with this dress code (sorry Belle!!), provided that TPTB are reasonable about it. I too enjoy dressing up for at least one dinner at WDW, but it only goes so far... For example: all that I bring with me to WDW are flipflops, but they aren't the kinds you get in the bargain bins at Zellers (i.e: Target). Many of them have been nauseatingly girlified (read: sequins and other girly doo-dads), and if they don't let me in to Artists Point at the end of the month, in spite of the fact that I'll be wearing them with a skirt and a pretty tank top, I would be INCENSED!!!!

Yes, I know that flip flops aren't business casual, and I wouldn't be able to wear them to work on Fridays at my firm, but there is a nice happy medium between looking like a bum in a torn t-shirt, faded pack and sweatpants with busted elastic and a "true" business casual dress code. If this new dress code serves to keep the former out of the nicer eateries, so be it. I just hope they don't go too far - if I had wanted to eat at V&As, I would have made reservations there!!!

Upvote 0

bsandersjr

I can agree with the flip flops, but don't they see that some people go there in between park visits? What to do now, go back to the resort and change? Oh well, no more Yachtsman for me. (I wear hats a lot)

Upvote 0

lawyergirl77

bsandersjr said:
I can agree with the flip flops, but don't they see that some people go there in between park visits? What to do now, go back to the resort and change? Oh well, no more Yachtsman for me. (I wear hats a lot)
Yes, but hats are kind of an easy dress code problem to rectify... You can just take them off. Not so much with the flip flops (I have a funny feeling bare feet are NOT business casual), nor with tank tops (ditto for walking around in my bra).

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hi there Lawyer Girl I think we are actually on the same wave length here. I do business casual every day of my life here at work. his is what we have to wear and we have the same thing we arent allowed to wear flip flops either. That having been said I dont think we can compare Disneyworld to my office!! I have air conditioning here, dont expect to go on any water rides, roller coasters, simulators etc here. I also have a seat I can call my very own as well as two chairs in my office for any visitors that may have to discuss stuff with me. I certainly dont get that at Disney ( Picture me sitting on the floor at the Off Kilter stage in a long georgette floral dress which is what I Am wearing today!!!! NOT!!!!!) If I show up at The Yachtsman, or California Gril etc in a nice pair of shorts, a Disneyworld T Shirt and a pair of sneakers, I shouldnt really have any problem getting in. I dont object to screening out the true slobs, but I also dont want to have to dress for dinner. If I wanted that I would have made a ressie for V & A's!!!! Or gone on a cruise ( One of the many things that has stopped me from booking that kind of vacation experience!) Can you picture me not being let into a restuarant because I Am wearing a Disneyworld T shirt??!!??BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Belle

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

lawyergirl77 said:
Yes, but hats are kind of an easy dress code problem to rectify... You can just take them off.

Ahh, yes, tell your 4 year old to take her mouse ears off. I can see that going over real well, not a battle I'd choose to pick with my child.

Upvote 0

lawyergirl77

shoppingnut said:
Ahh, yes, tell your 4 year old to take her mouse ears off. I can see that going over real well, not a battle I'd choose to pick with my child.
I have a funny feeling that a 4-year-old would be allowed to keep her mouse ears on... You could probably craft a really good argument to the effect that they are business casual for kids... ;) (Hostess: "I'm sorry ma'am, but you have to take your child's ears off. They aren't business casual." Parent: "Have YOU ever seen a 4-year-old in an office?" Hostess:"Uh, no..." Parent: "Well I have and they were all wearing mouse ears!!")

All (dumb) jokes aside, I would love to see the heartless person that would enforce this dress code to the letter for children who are going to eat in these fancy-schmancy places. And if it's not a battle that you would chose to pick with your child, then perhaps it might be best to call ahead to check how flexible the staff is (just to be on the safe side), and if the answer is "no, we're ridiculously tight-assed about this", then you can either try again when you show up or decide that the battle isn't worth the meal that you wanted to have.

Upvote 0

mrtoad

lawyergirl77 said:
Yes, but hats are kind of an easy dress code problem to rectify... You can just take them off. Not so much with the flip flops (I have a funny feeling bare feet are NOT business casual), nor with tank tops (ditto for walking around in my bra).

I would assume they were talking about then sitting at dinner with hat head. I personally think it is a mistake as it will force some guests to pick a less expensive place to eat rather than deal with hastle of changing. If you were to eat at the California grill at say 6:30 and you are at the MK and staying at POR You would have to leave the MK at around 4:00 to be sure to get back in time most likely. I think that is kind of beat and would stop me from eating there which is a real shame...

Upvote 0

mrtoad

wannabeBelle said:
I Agree Mr Toad!!!!!!! Belle

:)

I also forgot to mention that in the same scenario without this rule change you could leave the MK at 6:15 and be ok. BIG difference...

Also, we (as I am sure a lot of people do) plan their park days around where they will be eating or vice versa. For instance, back to California Grill, we would book that for a day we planned at the MK rather than say MGM.

This new rule thing changes all of that. I would rather just find a place in the parks to eat which is a shame because at someplace like the MK your fine dining places are almost none...

Upvote 0

lawyergirl77

mrtoad said:
:)

I also forgot to mention that in the same scenario without this rule change you could leave the MK at 6:15 and be ok. BIG difference...

Also, we (as I am sure a lot of people do) plan their park days around where they will be eating or vice versa. For instance, back to California Grill, we would book that for a day we planned at the MK rather than say MGM.

This new rule thing changes all of that. I would rather just find a place in the parks to eat which is a shame because at someplace like the MK your fine dining places are almost none...
While I think that this dress code could turn out to be a pain if people are going to be totally inflexible about it, I don't think it's really going to be as bad as all that. Business casual still includes dress shorts, a polo shirt and deck shoes (or even nice sandals) for men! The stuff really isn't uncomfortable at all, and certainly doesn't need to lead to heat stroke!!!!!

Upvote 0

epcotfan

I have no problem with the new dress code at the resort restaurants. I thought the attire mentioned was always their in their dress code policy. It isn't like they are asking people to put on formal wear at dinner seatings. Khakis and a blouse or polo shirt seem like a reasonable request. Personally I like to go back and change clothing and shower after walking around a park all day.

Upvote 0

dvm

sandal specifics?

Are "Teva" type sandals allowed? I wouldn't expect thong sandals, but the type with multiple straps and buckles is what I am questioning?

Upvote 0

epcotfan

I think flip flops are probably not wanted because it makes it too easy for people to take off their shoes at the table. I don't see why Teva sandals would be a problem.

Upvote 0

MouseMadness

epcotfan said:
I think flip flops are probably not wanted because it makes it too easy for people to take off their shoes at the table. I don't see why Teva sandals would be a problem.

I guess I wonder where the line between flip flops and sandals is. *shrug* I wear what I call sandals, but truthfully there's just a bit of beading and sequin and leather separating them from cheap flip flops. :lol:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom