Some restaurants get new dress code

Computer Magic

This was on MousePlanet so I thought it was worth passing it on.

Flip-flops will keep you from being seated at several restaurants at Walt Disney World hotels, thanks to a new dress code. Seven of the resort's spiffiest restaurants have upgraded to a “business casual” requirement. The restaurants involved are:
  • Jiko (Animal Kingdom Lodge)
  • Flying Fish (BoardWalk)
  • California Grill (Contemporary)
  • Citricos and Narcoossee's (Grand Floridian)
  • Artist Point (Wilderness Lodge)
  • Yachtsman Steakhouse (Yacht Club)
The restaurants are defining “business casual” as dress shorts, pants, jean pants, collared shirts, blouses and sweaters. Hats, swimsuits, swimsuit coveralls, tank tops, T-shirts, torn clothing and flip-flops are not permitted.

I always thought yactsman was business casusal, as I was there in May. Not sure about the others.

shoppingnut

celticdog said:
No you are not "entitled" to eat at any restuarant. If you don't have reservations or you show up too late in the evening, you may be turned away. If you're not dressed appropriately, you may be turned away. Your use of "entitled" implies: service without question, and that may not be the case. I have seen people turned away.

You are missing my point that the entitlement is a general statement that all the restaurants in disney are open to everyone to dine at and whether or not I am on the meal plan, whether or not I stay at that hotel. None of these restaurants are "membership only clubs" that you need to have membership to dine, they are open to the public. Some folks here have suggested that just because they are located in a particular hotel, that you shouldn't be able to use that restaurant because it is really only for that hotel's guests to use.

In addition, I also find that overall disney does little enforcement of their policies when it comes to making money. Most of their policies are a farce and just look good on paper.

Upvote 0

wannab@dis

shoppingnut said:
Some folks here have suggested that just because they are located in a particular hotel, that you shouldn't be able to use that restaurant because it is really only for that hotel's guests to use.

I believe you have misread the posts. I haven't seen anyone make such a statement.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

mousermerf said:
My meal at the California Grill lasted 3-4 hours... I don't recall getting anywhere in WDW taking that long ever.

If you want it to be convienent, you have to pay for it. For California Grill, stay at the Contemporary. You're just an elevator ride away!

Yachtsman at the Yacht Club.. Artist Pointe at the Wilderness Lodge... anyone else noticing the deluxe resort trend?

Charging a premium for a premium service is not unfair.

Charging too much for something that people NEED is unfair and extortion.

Let's goto the Living Seas DiveQuest! It's pricey. Plus, you have to know how to dive already, meaning you had to goto school and pay for that before hand. That's not unfair. However, if they make you pay $8,000 to use their air tank after throwing you in the tank and holding your head under water - then that's unfair and extortion.
I believe this was the quote that was in question. Belle

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Didn't say you should be banned from using the hotel's restaurant, just that it's purposely more convienent from the actual resort than from the Holiday Inn on 192.

Mods have casual dining, Values have food courts. You get what you pay for.

Upvote 0

Vernonpush

Gee, my business casual is shorts or pants in the winter with paint splotches usually (maybe some holes), T-shirt with the paint also, tennis shoes usually with so much paint that they crack. When I go the the parks I "dress up" and wear new clothes (that will later be used as work clothes). That being said, will Disney not let you in if you overdress (like, wear my silver sequinned sport coat :lol: )?

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

mousermerf said:
Didn't say you should be banned from using the hotel's restaurant, just that it's purposely more convienent from the actual resort than from the Holiday Inn on 192.

Mods have casual dining, Values have food courts. You get what you pay for.
Not entirely true. While I certainly avail myself of the restaurants in my resort ( Boatwright's for breakfast YUMMY!!!) In no way do I limit myself to the restaurant at that resort!!! I have eaten in many resorts I have not stayed at, either on that particular trip or at all. One of my favorite restaurants is O'hanas which is at the Polynesian. I havent ever stayed there. I have eaten at the Yachtsman before I actually stayed at the Yacht/Beach Club. Disney wants people to experience the wide variety of offerings that they have for meals. That is the point of having openings for people who are not staying at the deluxe resort where they choose to dine. In addition I cant see why given the selection of restaurants why someone would care to limit themselves to the dining choices just in their resort , deluxe or not. Do you get what you pay for ?? Yes. Is it applicable in this case in terms of determining where someone may choose to eat? Not necessarily. If I want to stay at the All Stars and eat at a full service restaurant in a Deluxe resort, I will do so. One is not indicitive or prohibitive of the other. Belle

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

No I am not confused at all. I havent ever booked any resort stay in Disney based on the restaurants that the resort has. Pools and other recreational stuff yes, restaurants, no. I dont think I know anyone who ever did. If I Am staying at a particular resort and I wanted to eat at the restaurant in the resort then yes I would. Would that be the only restaurant I hit?? Not a shot. Would it be possible that I will not eat there at all? Absolutely. I am the type of customer that Disney wants because I want to be able to have stayed in every resort & eaten In every restaurant in the World. It may take a while but I have faith!!!! Belle

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
You're thinking backwards. Step outside of your own personal tastes and preferences - try a new point of view.

The resorts were not all built at the same time. Your logic would only make sense if they were - that sort of symbiosis. To the contrary, each resort is built with a particular restaurant type to appeal to a particular clientele.

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
wannabeBelle said:
No I am not confused at all. I havent ever booked any resort stay in Disney based on the restaurants that the resort has. Pools and other recreational stuff yes, restaurants, no. I dont think I know anyone who ever did. If I Am staying at a particular resort and I wanted to eat at the restaurant in the resort then yes I would. Would that be the only restaurant I hit?? Not a shot. Would it be possible that I will not eat there at all? Absolutely. I am the type of customer that Disney wants because I want to be able to have stayed in every resort & eaten In every restaurant in the World. It may take a while but I have faith!!!! Belle

Aren't you the one who also screamed when they switched to the best rate program for passholders and said that they needed to give you a discount?

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

mousermerf said:
Aren't you the one who also screamed when they switched to the best rate program for passholders and said that they needed to give you a discount?
They really didnt need to give me a discount. If they choose to great, we can continue the happy little relationship we have had for quite a few years now. If not, I may not be able to come as often and if another vacation destination offers me a choice of a different experience at a similar or lower price maybe I would rethink where I choose to spend my money. The bottom line would be that Disney would not be getting as many of my vacation dollars and the bottom line would be affected. Disney is certainly not under any obligation to provide any incentives for people to vacation there. As the Marketing Department keeps coming out with discounts, promotional offers, etc, I guess someone over there agrees with my way of thinking! Belle

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

mousermerf said:
The point I was trying to make by pointing out the resorts was that, if anything, those restaurants are resort amenities.

If anyone has any right to them, it's the people staying at that particular resort. Thus, the arguement that "getting changed" would be a complete and utter hassle is fairly baseless since if you stay at the aforementioned resort it's on your way.

There is a reason the high-end restaurants are at the high end resorts - you pay for convienence. That's why the Monorails resorts are the most expensive, that's why the Mods each have a "casual" restaurant and why the All-Stars only have buses and food courts.
QUOTE]

This exactly where it had been implied that the "resort amenities" are for the "resort guests" staying at that resort.

Upvote 0

wannab@dis

mousermerf said:
I didn't say that...

I think you're confused....

You pay for the convienence of having it in your resort. Never said anyone wasn't allowed.

Give it up! I (and I'm sure many others) know what you are saying and that you never said a restaurant is for the resort guests only.

It's only that the restaurant IN a resort is more CONVIENENT to guests staying AT that resort. (I believe you post was in response to the riding multiple busses and changing clothes post.)

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Forget the fact that it's WDW, and look at resorts in general. You build a destination hotel/resort and what is the first thing you MUST add in order to attract guests? Either an on-site restaurant, or access to one. The restaurant is there first and foremost for the guests staying there; the fact that it's open to the general public is just another way to expand the customer base. There are many resorts ouside of WDW that do NOT allow non-guests to use them.

I personally have no problem with ANY dress code; I've travelled with formalwear if required. If I didn't want to abide by the suggested dress, I just wouldn't eat or attend the event. If I REALLY wanted to eat at a certain restaurant, I'd plan accordingly. It's not like you can just walk in to most of these places; most nights it's reservations only. The CG must be made days (or longer) in advance to get prime seating hours. If it WAS a really slow night, I suspect that the dress code might be relaxed a bit. And if imposing a dress code decreases demand, I'm sure it will be dropped.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom