Soarin' Over Cali returns to DCA...why not us??

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
That's not what I was saying. WDW isn't a locals resort anyway. It has a much wider scope of visitors. What I was saying is that there were many scenes in Soarin over Cali. that despite being filmed in California could have been anywhere in the United States. Without the ID of California it could have been at anyone of them so leaving out the Over California part left it open for interpretation and became more of a travel show for the entire country, however, here we were physically in WDW and the film ended with us being in Disneyland. Just didn't fit like it did in California. I don't think anyone would think that Soarin over Florida would be the answer. Florida has a lot to offer, but, doesn't have a whole lot of contrast in topography and elevation change. Nice beaches though.

Soarin over California fits the Disney California Adventure theme. Soarin over the World fits the Walt Disney World theme. Especially, considering it is just a few steps from World Showcase.

I agree with your last comment. I'm just saying the previous version of Soarin' wasn't that generic..

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I agree with your last comment. I'm just saying the previous version of Soarin' wasn't that generic..
It wasn't all that generic, in fact it wasn't at all. Every bit of it was filmed in California, however, many, many people only saw it in WDW. Most of those people could possibly identify the Golden Gate and Disneyland, but, there was no distinction between the rest and other possible areas in the USA. People that didn't know what each location looked like and its location would be just enjoying a ride through random scenic areas of someplace in nature.

Goofyernmost

The Cali soaring flowed because the director/writer took the time to link the different segments together.
It goes from the coast to skiing to waterfalls etc in flawless transitions.

Soaring world just bounces around disjointedly from place to place with zero rhyme or reason.
You do realize that one of the biggest complaints about the original was that there was no transition at all. Just suddenly being in a different location with no warning. I don't think it hurt anything, others did. The new one in my opinion is just fine, nothing spectacular but at least an effort was made to transition. It's all in individual perception. It adds a little individual trauma for the guests. There is way to much whining about the new one anyway. It only shows how little flexibility that people have. We only like what we are used too.

Goofyernmost

When you compare the two you will see there was alot of thought and storyboarding in the transitions for California. For World they just threw a bunch of things on the wall and went with what stuck.
If you are correct, then I have missed it a hundred times. Maybe that is true, however, it is a lot easier to storyboard and more smoothly transition in an area the size of California to fit it in a 7 minute film (if that is the length, I don't remember) then to try to smoothly cover a planet and give a cohesive cross section in that same time span. That maybe why I think that it was maybe more thought out then the original. That said, it is all in the perspective. I liked them both, but, I have no desire to see California again.

I definitely wish they would ditch Soarin' around the world and go back to the original in both parks. I miss smelling the orange groves and pine trees and seeing no CGI. (or if there was, it was done better)

Well, because DLR is superior to WDW in every way. Had to say it

Image result for the office no gif

Pepper's Ghost

That's like having a film highlighting New York being shown in North Dakota for literally no reason.

Sincerely, no condescending tone, but this is not a good analogy. It's nothing like that.

There's definitely a link/reason. Disney is advertising another park, and they're also honoring the roots of their beginnings in the state where it all started. New York has literally nothing to do with North Dakota other than both think New York is better in every way.

It's been years since I've been back to WDW so I'm horribly saddened that SoC is gone. :( One of my favorite rides. Since seeing this thread I've found snippets of the new version and it looks awful. A classic case of unnecessarily fixing something until it's broken. Disney does it constantly. Can't wait to see what other popular attraction they ruin next.

Lastly, I noticed the tone of some fairly negative comments too. Mine is sincerely not meant to be. How could we be so negative when discussing the happiest place on earth.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Lastly, I noticed the tone of some fairly negative comments too. Mine is sincerely not meant to be. How could we be so negative when discussing the happiest place on earth.
Because the happiest place on earth is rapidly becoming one of the most expensive places on earth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom