Soarin' Over Cali returns to DCA...why not us??

flynnibus

Premium Member
After watching both films back to back... I never actually realized it but the scenes in the original are dynamic and varied. The camera really seems to mimic the movement and speed of an actual hang glider. Your speed, direction, and elevation change constantly.

Yes... the camera does the stall climbs and dives that gliders do... the banking... the idea of diving to pickup speed. The airspeed you have in (most) scenes projects natural flight.

The new film breaks these tenants all over the place. The airspeed is way high in most scenes.... you climb and speed up.... you get closer and slow down (elephant scene)... you make these long forever flat paths (India)... or forever flat climbs (Paris). It completely jettisoned these ideas except in a few gimmick scenes like the Great Wall dive (way exaggerated)... and a few other minor points.

The film reeks of someone going... “we need bigger!! Go bigger!”

Goofyernmost

My goodness! Do any of you folks have even the slightest idea about how to enjoy something for what it is? Nit Pick the snot out of everything and it is impossible to enjoy. Based on that I will just walk in and go to the attraction and enjoy it knowing the there are millions of people that will never get to go to a Disney park and how lucky I am that I have been able to enjoy Disneyland, DCA, Magic Kingdom, Epcot, DHS, DAK, Disneyland Paris and Walt Disney Studio's in Paris. I am a lucky guy that I can tolerate less then perfect, otherwise I would have gone stark raving mad years ago. The rest of you keep up the downer!

RollerCoaster

That is why, in Florida, they didn't call it Soarin over California and they just called it Soarin.

No, it was a cost cutting measure for all signage. That's why it was just simply called Soarin'. Don't forget the apostrophe.

And for the record California's scenic landscape is very unique to that state. There is not another state that fairly represents California.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
I never understood the decision with Soarin at Epcot to have guest fly over spaceship earth twoards the dark parking lot. Why not fly the other direction over spaceship earth towards a brilliantly lit World Showcase with fireworks exploding over the lagoon?

Last edited:

Damon7777

There is an overwhelming dead giveaway as to why the original film is not some highlight ride through America at large:

No Statue of Liberty
No Mount Rush
No St Louis Gateway to West Arch
No Empire State Building
No White House, Capitol building, Lincoln Memorial, no Liberty Bell.
No Bald Eagles or bison. No Mount McKinley,
No bayou scenes or southern oaks draped with Spanish moss.

Seems to me if Disney were having us fly over America we would have encountered things like above.

Sorry, but if you're doing a general flyover of the USA 'Disney style' you are destined to see the Statue of Liberty, no?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The warping is because the content was not chosen properly for the presentation format and they didn't do enough correction to try to counter it.

It's basically a big fat mistake.
They seem to have forgotten why the screen was curved to start with -- provide peripheral "motion blur" so the guests would feel immersed in the film. Had they restricted the ride mechanism to the middle, it would still work, but the ride would have the throughput of V&A's. They were compelled to install the side mechanisms and the vertical/building focus of the second film highlights the distortion from the sides.

Tom Morrow

My goodness! Do any of you folks have even the slightest idea about how to enjoy something for what it is? Nit Pick the snot out of everything and it is impossible to enjoy. Based on that I will just walk in and go to the attraction and enjoy it knowing the there are millions of people that will never get to go to a Disney park and how lucky I am that I have been able to enjoy Disneyland, DCA, Magic Kingdom, Epcot, DHS, DAK, Disneyland Paris and Walt Disney Studio's in Paris. I am a lucky guy that I can tolerate less then perfect, otherwise I would have gone stark raving mad years ago. The rest of you keep up the downer!
Are you capable of making it through a forums debate without pulling this holier-than-thou routine?

Goofyernmost

Are you capable of making it through a forums debate without pulling this holier-than-thou routine?
Are you able to mind you own business on any of the forums and just let others have there say without you standing in judgment. Oh, I guess it is alright for you to personally judge me, but, I can't just randomly judge others apparent attitudes.

Tom Morrow

Are you able to mind you own business on any of the forums and just let others have there say without you standing in judgment. Oh, I guess it is alright for you to personally judge me, but, I can't just randomly judge others apparent attitudes.
You're entitled to your opinion, of course. Problem is, you frequently come into threads with an intentional contrarian attitude and opinion to stir the pot regardless of the topic. Contrarian, as in, you seem to disagree just for the sake of being different. Then when you can't "win" the argument you throw up your hands and say "well I guess some people have bad attitudes and care too much, unlike me". It's been pointed out to you several times.

Smiley/OCD

Original Poster
You're entitled to your opinion, of course. Problem is, you frequently come into threads with an intentional contrarian attitude and opinion to stir the pot regardless of the topic. Contrarian, as in, you seem to disagree just for the sake of being different. Then when you can't "win" the argument you throw up your hands and say "well I guess some people have bad attitudes and care too much, unlike me". It's been pointed out to you several times.
I KNEW it wasn't just me...

JohnD

I think we can all agree we were hoping World would be as good as the orlginal. We knew the Epcot version couldn’t just be about California. But the execution was left wanting making the original much better.

While the original does have direct cuts, it doesn’t have distracting CGI transitions. All the scenes fit the full screen better with less noticeable bending of landmarks. More memorable smells. Finally Jerry Goldsmith had a final movie to compose a score to fit. In fairness, he’s passed so more difficult to compose a clean score to new scenes while retaining Goldsmith’s original theme within it.

I’m summary, the original remains the better version.

nol_dur

I think we can all agree we were hoping World would be as good as the orlginal. We knew the Epcot version couldn’t just be about California. But the execution was left wanting making the original much better.

While the original does have direct cuts, it doesn’t have distracting CGI transitions. All the scenes fit the full screen better with less noticeable bending of landmarks. More memorable smells. Finally Jerry Goldsmith had a final movie to compose a score to fit. In fairness, he’s passed so more difficult to compose a clean score to new scenes while retaining Goldsmith’s original theme within it.

I’m summary, the original remains the better version.
Agreed

Smiley/OCD

Original Poster
We knew the Epcot version couldn’t just be about California.
The original, Cali version was just better...funny, I don't recall ANY complaints before the refurb about the fact we were flying over California while in Florida. The Cali. version gave guests who might never had the opportunity to visit the Golden State a taste of it. Who knows, maybe it enlightened some guests to take the plunge and visit Disneyland and everything else the state has to offer. It was, in layman's terms a tourism commercial for California, the same way the films at the WS highlight the prospective countries. The Cali version works at DLR for the simple reason that the state is so large and has many things to see.

Goofyernmost

The original, Cali version was just better...funny, I don't recall ANY complaints before the refurb about the fact we were flying over California while in Florida. The Cali. version gave guests who might never had the opportunity to visit the Golden State a taste of it. Who knows, maybe it enlightened some guests to take the plunge and visit Disneyland and everything else the state has to offer. It was, in layman's terms a tourism commercial for California, the same way the films at the WS highlight the prospective countries. The Cali version works at DLR for the simple reason that the state is so large and has many things to see.
It wasn't a complaint exactly, it was more of an upset that Epcot didn't have it's own. Everyone loved the original, but, like me, didn't like were it ended up. Along with that everyone knew it was exactly the same as in DCA and we all knew it was California. When I say "we all knew" I'm referring to those of us bordering on insanity that spend hours on Disney Chat Rooms. People that didn't, really weren't aware that it was California completely. As I have said a gazillion times, most of those scenes could have been in multiple places in the country.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom