Soarin' Over Cali returns to DCA...why not us??

KaliSplash

It was announced today that Soarin' over Cali is returning for the month of June at DCA...Since we have 3 "theatres" at Epcot, why can't we have the Cali version permanently in one and the newer version in the other two...anyone who has been on the "world" version, knows how the film "bends" due to the contour of the screen. Our DF really prefers the Cali version much better. Could this trial, LTD run possibly be a test for a return?
Methinks the new version was created specifically for WDW and is unlikely to change to a CAL. focused film again. ever

Surfin' Tuna

I think we can all agree that between the CGI and the curve accentuated by all the vertical filming makes Soarin' Around the World a vastly inferior production. The oranges and trees also made a lot more sense for smells versus forcing smells into the current incarnation just because they can add smell (with the exception made for the grass). Will it come back to FL? It is unlikely, since the current film is already so popular. I think the CA return is just to help defray some of the crowds and congestion closer to SW:GE. I do agree a Soarin' over American ending in Epcot or MK would be perfect, but it's not going to happen. The best we can hope to happen is getting the CA version here again at least for a while.

Smiley/OCD

Original Poster
The biggest clue there is that the Cali version is being shown in Disney CALIFORNIA Adventure. And the world film should be in a place called Walt Disney WORLD. It should have been that way in the very beginning, but, they were trying to have a 50th Celebration for Disneyland and they didn't feel it was necessary to alter the show when they added it to Epcot. That is both my guess about why and my opinion about where they should be anyway.

I also don't think that California version would be more popular in Florida than the world one is. It is a great thing for California guest to see their home state and to introduce a new grouping of people to California while they are visiting California. I think to the ending. It was cool, and never bothered me much, but, the fact that it ended in Disneyland when WDW was so much bigger then Disneyland, just struck me wrong. The world one at least ends in Epcot so it seems more personally directed at anyone visiting or from Florida.
When you watch TV, you always see tourism commercials in your home state from OTHER states to entice you to visit...you don't see tourism commercials from your own state (on a regular basis). Wouldn't WDW try to entice guests to visit Disneyland? I know what there is to do in my home state...I want to see what else is out there in other states, so I think your premise is incorrect, but hey, that's just me.

Smiley/OCD

Original Poster
Gee, I dunno. Maybe because having a film highlighting the regions of the State of California makes no sense in Florida?

I do, though, miss the smell of oranges and forests in my home state. And Sleeping Beauty Castle.
Again, the goal is to try to entice guests to visit. People in California know what's in California (I hope, but if not, that's a WHOLE other problem). Isn't that one of the goals of the films in the WS? Canadian guests don't need to see "O' Canada" to visit...they already live there. It's to entice guests who don't live in Canada to visit Canada.

Smiley/OCD

Original Poster
That's like having a film highlighting New York being shown in North Dakota for literally no reason.
Again, missing the point, which is taking away from the original post and question...but to try to explain it to you again, I live in NJ...we have loads of commercials to visit Ocean City in MD...Why? MD is trying to get the folks from the Garden State to visit the beaches of MD. I also see tons of commercials with Tim Allen's voice over to visit Michigan. Last time I checked, Michigan is not close to NJ. My original intent of this post was to have both films as an option in Orlando. We enjoyed the California version, the sights AND smells. I happen to think the California version is better than the world version.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I've noticed a trend of people talking down to others when they type out crap like this:

"but to try to explain it to you again"

As if people are stupid and need their hand held. I understood the point. It doesn't make any sense. If Disney is trying to pitch CA to you in a Orlando attraction...go to California. As far as Ocean City, MD advertising on New Jersey television goes........It's literally a couple of hours away.

Smiley/OCD

Original Poster
I never implied that you were stupid, nor was I talking down to you..nor do I want to hold your hand. If that's the way you took it, geez, sorry... "If Disney is trying to pitch CA to you in a Orlando attraction...go to California." Thanks, you just made my point.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Just saying. If you're interested in California after seeing a film in Florida....wouldn't that make it all that much more interesting to go to the actual state instead of seeing a fly over film in a theme park attraction? That would make me want to go there.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
If the whole "any place but here" premise was correct, California's version would have shown every place BUT California.

But the actual premise was a ride/show that celebrated the diversity of California's features, in a park called (remember?) Disney's California Adventure...

Goofyernmost

When you watch TV, you always see tourism commercials in your home state from OTHER states to entice you to visit...you don't see tourism commercials from your own state (on a regular basis). Wouldn't WDW try to entice guests to visit Disneyland? I know what there is to do in my home state...I want to see what else is out there in other states, so I think your premise is incorrect, but hey, that's just me.
Not in this case. That film was made to connect with visitors to DCA that my or may not have ever had the opportunity to explore California and also to have locals be able to identify with their home. It's a very long state. I'll bet that even locals have no idea of the things that are in their own home state. It was keeping in theme.

They probably weren't aware when they built it that it might be cloned in Florida. When it got to Florida, even though it really could have been a number of states in this country (California isn't the only area with spectacular nature and iconic locations that could have been used). So they took out the Soarin over California and it just became Soarin, no mention of actual location. The ocean, the mountains, the golf courses, the balloon launch and so on could have been anywhere. However, there was only one Golden Gate Bridge, Disneyland and Sleeping Beauty Castle. That last thing was always the disappointment with the ride. Spectacular as it was to watch and experience, it ended in the wrong place. That made it thematically perfect for DCA and not so much, in Epcot. We were in Disney World why would we want to see Disneyland. If tourist angle was there, why wasn't the one in California promoting the East Coast?

So to me, it was just a quick fill in for that promotion (DL's 50th). They could have at least redone the ending so it was either SSE or why not, Cinderella Castle. They were able to do a localized ending with the new one!

Just a little side note here... I originally saw Soarin over California in DCA in 2005 during the 50th of DL. The attraction was practically empty in California. When we think of the lines and the need to add a third theater in Epcot, I doubt that they really believed that Soarin was going to be as popular as it has continued to be.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Given that logic, wouldn't Disney also want to entice guests to visit the foreign parks? Hence, Soarin' Around the World.....

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Not in this case. That film was made to connect with visitors to DCA that my or may not have ever had the opportunity to explore California and also to have locals be able to identify with their home. It's a very long state. I'll bet that even locals have no idea of the things that are in their own home state. It was keeping in theme.

They probably weren't aware when they built it that it might be cloned in Florida. When it got to Florida, even though it really could have been a number of states in this country (California isn't the only area with spectacular nature and iconic locations that could have been used). So they took out the Soarin over California and it just became Soarin, no mention of actual location. The ocean, the mountains, the golf courses, the balloon launch and so on could have been anywhere. However, there was only one Golden Gate Bridge, Disneyland and Sleeping Beauty Castle. That last thing was always the disappointment with the ride. Spectacular as it was to watch and experience, it ended in the wrong place. That made it thematically perfect for DCA and not so much, in Epcot. We were in Disney World why would we want to see Disneyland. If tourist angle was there, why wasn't the one in California promoting the East Coast?

So to me, it was just a quick fill in for that promotion (DL's 50th). They could have at least redone the ending so it was either SSE or why not, Cinderella Castle. They were able to do a localized ending with the new one!

Just a little side note here... I originally saw Soarin over California in DCA in 2005 during the 50th of DL. The attraction was practically empty in California. When we think of the lines and the need to add a third theater in Epcot, I doubt that they really believed that Soarin was going to be as popular as it has continued to be.

We don't have mountains in Florida....nor do we have deserts.

Goofyernmost

We don't have mountains in Florida....nor do we have deserts.
That's not what I was saying. WDW isn't a locals resort anyway. It has a much wider scope of visitors. What I was saying is that there were many scenes in Soarin over Cali. that despite being filmed in California could have been anywhere in the United States. Without the ID of California it could have been at anyone of them so leaving out the Over California part left it open for interpretation and became more of a travel show for the entire country, however, here we were physically in WDW and the film ended with us being in Disneyland. Just didn't fit like it did in California. I don't think anyone would think that Soarin over Florida would be the answer. Florida has a lot to offer, but, doesn't have a whole lot of contrast in topography and elevation change. Nice beaches though.

Soarin over California fits the Disney California Adventure theme. Soarin over the World fits the Walt Disney World theme. Especially, considering it is just a few steps from World Showcase.

Cmdr_Crimson

Is there any CGI in it or is it all raw (maybe sped up) footage? That Thunderbirds flyby is the one thing I miss from the original and there's nothing in the the new one that comes close to it.
From the look at the POV I had linked at the bottom of my post there doesn't seem to be any..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom