Soarin' Over Cali returns to DCA...why not us??

flynnibus

Premium Member
As if people are stupid and need their hand held. I understood the point. It doesn't make any sense. If Disney is trying to pitch CA to you in a Orlando attraction...go to California.

Soarin over California doesn't have to be about pitching Cali tho... it's mostly focused on environments and nature's incredible beauty and grandeur. Besides the aviation history tie ins.. and the san fran bay scene... Most people wouldn't necessarily make the 'oh its all california!' connection... and why the film worked in FL to start with.

People's complaints about Soarin in the Land really have little to do with the locations chosen in the film.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The warping is caused by the dome screen, which hasn’t changed. The warping is more noticeable in SatW because there are more long and straight vertical lines from man-made structures.

The warping is because the content was not chosen properly for the presentation format and they didn't do enough correction to try to counter it.

It's basically a big fat mistake.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think the Soarin’ Around the World concept is perfect for Epcot. Where they failed was not focusing enough on landscapes and went for too many landmarks and buildings. The whole point is to fly over landscapes, not near famous buildings. Doing the majority in CGI defeated a lot of the purpose as well. I personally don’t mind the transitions but too many of them attempt to startle the viewer.

I’d like to see the worst scenes of ATW swapped out with the best scenes from the original.

That.. and they totally threw away anything that slightly related to the idea of hang gliding or soarin as a animal might.. instead just went with the whole 'drone POV'. There is an entire pacing and escalation of that from the original that is completely missing in the world film.

Then there is the lack of cohesion of the types of scenes or progression you make..

Then there is the lack of artistic punch in the music/transitions

The whole film comes off as a cheap Chinese knockoff... and how fitting given why it was created.

Surfin' Tuna

I'm not sure why it can't be about CA and still work in FL. It ends at DL, which is where it all began - makes sense. Last I checked Pandora was in the Alpha Centauri A star system, but FoP still works just fine. Can we just all agree the original Soarin' is better and then accept we probably won't get it here?

That being said, I'm still hoping they give it a shot to alleviate crowding at GE. I don't plan on going to GE after any possible previews for a while, but I'm always in favor of the better show at Soarin'

Tom Morrow

That.. and they totally threw away anything that slightly related to the idea of hang gliding or soarin as a animal might.. instead just went with the whole 'drone POV'. There is an entire pacing and escalation of that from the original that is completely missing in the world film.

Then there is the lack of cohesion of the types of scenes or progression you make..

Then there is the lack of artistic punch in the music/transitions

The whole film comes off as a cheap Chinese knockoff... and how fitting given why it was created.
After watching both films back to back... I never actually realized it but the scenes in the original are dynamic and varied. The camera really seems to mimic the movement and speed of an actual hang glider. Your speed, direction, and elevation change constantly.

Then in Around the World, you appear to be going straight and the same speed the entire time. Very few changes in direction (there's like, one, tops?) and elevation (you swoop over the Great Wall and ascend to the peak of the Eiffel Tower and that's basically it). You're right, it feels exactly like drone footage and not at all like a simulated hang glider flight.

That, the much worse musical arrangement, some of the location choices, and the CGI make it significantly worse. I used to defend ATW but now I'm not sure why I did.

Surfin' Tuna

That, the much worse musical arrangement, some of the location choices, and the CGI make it significantly worse. I used to defend ATW but now I'm not sure why I did.
One can realize ATW is not all that great while riding it, but several things are really brought into focus after watching Soarin' over California again. The first thing is how the music seemed more inspiring and really helped create the mood. The second is, "what are we doing - this isn't a hang glider, I'm not a bird, and I don't get it." Once you realize it's CGI (at least for me) is that's all I can see. The original (as others said) was shot with more emphasis on the horizontal axis, and I think this was intentional. They knew it would lend itself better to the format (unless I'm remembering this incorrectly).

The real problem is the fact that there are too many steps backwards with new stuff. I'm a stock holder, so I get and appreciate a lot of what they do. I'm also a fan, and I just wish when they change an attraction it could be for the better. I actually don't like CA all that much, but I always felt inspired after watching the original.

Baldy

I prefer the original. I miss the smell of the oranges.
I hate to admit that on my first time on soarin’ (as a Disney newbie), I had no idea I was “in California”. I didn’t even clue into the Golden Gate Bridge and was so distracted by the fireworks that I assumed the scene below was Disney World. No one in my group of six adults and one child figured it out.

Damon7777

I hate to admit that on my first time on soarin’ (as a Disney newbie), I had no idea I was “in California”. I didn’t even clue into the Golden Gate Bridge and was so distracted by the fireworks that I assumed the scene below was Disney World. No one in my group of six adults and one child figured it out.

You are in a park called "California Adventure" and 6 adults could not figure out the scenes were from, well, California?? Fair enough I guess

graphite1326

Since both words are interchangeable in this context it does not matter which one I use to make my point, no?
Not really. Example: "the politician's speech was ambiguous because he failed to make his point clear."
In this case nebulous would work because his speech was unclear or cloudy.

Goofyernmost

But how many states have everything that California has. I don't even like California but I know it's big enough and has varied enough terrain to have all that. Which state on the East Coast has desert-snow capped mountains-ocean-waterfalls-etc-etc
I doesn't freaking matter how many states have as much. That is not the point at all. It is that those same things can be found in different states, even if it is only one thing. I am not putting down California, like you folks seem to be wanting to put down the rest of the country. I am merely trying to explain why it isn't necessary to have it be California in both places. It was never meant to be outside of California when it was created and it's focus on California makes that obvious. California is a very nice place, I have been there a few times. However, I have been to a lot of other states that have wonderful scenic areas, and a person unfamiliar with California would not know without being told that the entire thing was filmed in California. (Is there a bet on for how many times I am going to say California?) There are deserts in Arizona and New Mexico, majestic mountains and skiing in Colorado and Vermont, Navel Stations in Virginia, Orange Groves in Florida along with the Florida Keys, Golf courses, farm land, Hot Air Balloon gatherings, among other things in just about every state in the union.

My point was... what is the logic of everyone being forced to see only California especially when the rest of the country and the world for that matter, probably do not have everything in one place so it is nice to have a general country wide or world wide view instead of a myopic presentation of just one place. Even if in Florida they had ended it in MK or Epcot initially so it presented a base point would have been better. I think the original worked in Epcot and was really loved by everyone, even myself, but, is it to our benefit to see the same thing over and over again? New is exciting, it has fine transitions and the bending is no worse then it was on the original. Might not even been more, just with more straight lined objects . If you look at the peripherals of the trees in the original it looks like they are currently in a hurricane, we just didn't notice because the focus was centered on other things. No one noticed the drastic bend in the Golden Gate bridge because we were focusing straight forward and the bridge was basically to the left side of us.

Best part is it still lives on You Tube. Nothing wrong with liking one over the other, but, it would be nice if we don't make it sound like someone is kidnapping their grandmother. Like or dislike it just because you like or dislike it. It really is the same experience, just over a different place.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Yet... that's heavily studied in the land. Last I checked.. you don't have seabases... or the Eastern Australian Current either :)

The film doesn't have to be about florida to work..

So what's that Navy base in Jax then.....🤔

flynnibus

Premium Member
In this context it means ambiguous. I counted 4 scenes that would be nearly impossible to know positively that they are indeed Cali.

It’s really the opening scene (golden gate) and the final Disneyland scene that most people would pin as “Cali”. The carrier/heli scene... the la flyover... pebble beach... the northern coast.. all those things the mass population can make their own interpretations of.. which is what is kinda cool about the original film. It is celebrating the diversity of Cali... but you don’t have to follow that point explicitly to appreciate what you’ve seen.

Many would see it as just showing the diversity that we have in America... and our grand environments... not even specifically Cali. But then the undertone comes out and Cali gets to say “that’s not just America... that’s all Cali!”

The subtly is part of its grace... which is totally lost in the new film

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom