Soarin' Over Cali returns to DCA...why not us??

graphite1326

It was announced today that Soarin' over Cali is returning for the month of June at DCA...Since we have 3 "theatres" at Epcot, why can't we have the Cali version permanently in one and the newer version in the other two...anyone who has been on the "world" version, knows how the film "bends" due to the contour of the screen. Our DF really prefers the Cali version much better. Could this trial, LTD run possibly be a test for a return?
I have posted this same thing in a previous thread. Why not make another film with the East coast and make it random similar to Star Tours? You would get one of three films.

ppete1975

I wonder what the costs of filming then programming the seats smells and effects is. We have talked about black box rides where you could change the ride every few months. To me this would be the perfect thing to do with soarin. You could have an endless amount of films and switch them out ever 6 months. I doubt they have it where they could do a random thing or even each theater be different and you don't know which theater youd go to, because im sure this is more hard programmed that something that's just software based.

Ksearcy

It was announced today that Soarin' over Cali is returning for the month of June at DCA...Since we have 3 "theatres" at Epcot, why can't we have the Cali version permanently in one and the newer version in the other two...anyone who has been on the "world" version, knows how the film "bends" due to the contour of the screen. Our DF really prefers the Cali version much better. Could this trial, LTD run possibly be a test for a return?

A Disney fan podcast I watched earlier this week suggested that the change to Soarin Over California may have been made in an attempt to draw as many visitors away from Disneyland and Galaxy's Edge as possible, with the suggestion being that the popularity of the original might attract some guests who would otherwise not visit DCA. If that's true, this change may or may not a be a sign that the same could happen in Epcot with the approaching debut of Galaxy's Edge in Hollywood Studios..

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
maybe California is going to be all warped too
The warping is caused by the dome screen, which hasn’t changed. The warping is more noticeable in SatW because there are more long and straight vertical lines from man-made structures.
The Golden Gate Bridge bent in the original too.

As well as the buildings in the L.A. night scene.
There is no story in either version of Soarin'.
True, but the transitions in SatW detract from the ride experience, in my opinion.
Oh cool, thank you! Looks better than SatW. Might have to visit Mall of America I've never been.
I hate to say it, but FlyOver America/Canada is better than SatW. It really brought back the feeling of SoC, and I was impressed. Although it’s a bit pricey, it’s definitely worth experiencing at least once.

ppete1975

soarin over florida would be awesome... you have the swamps the cities the orange groves (florida is a beautiful state), or even better have an east coast soarin … start at niagara falls (maybe some misting) go over manhattan Washington dc all through the Appalachian mountains then end in florida

Tom Morrow

I think the Soarin’ Around the World concept is perfect for Epcot. Where they failed was not focusing enough on landscapes and went for too many landmarks and buildings. The whole point is to fly over landscapes, not near famous buildings. Doing the majority in CGI defeated a lot of the purpose as well. I personally don’t mind the transitions but too many of them attempt to startle the viewer.

I’d like to see the worst scenes of ATW swapped out with the best scenes from the original.

RollerCoaster

I was excited to see Soarin' get an update (the quality of the original film had degraded so much it wasn't terribly enjoyable to watch), but like many I'm disappointed in what we got. There wasn't a huge story to the first movie aside from "see our state", but to me it felt like more than just the viewfinder slideshow that we get with the new own. Add in the excessive CGI, warping, and awkward transitions and it just makes a mediocre attraction.

Kevin the quality of the original film Soarin' Over California had not degraded at all. In fact, the quality of the original film is superior to the digital replacement. There is no digital equivalent to 15/70mm projection. Laser digital projection while close still can't even match 16/35mm film.

What you perceived to be as degraded was either of the following:

-Worn out 15/70 film print (you replace the prints due to wear and tear from the projector)
-Dirty 15/70 print (prints can be cleaned for dust)
-Dirty film projector lens
-Dirty projector port glass

The quality of the presentation with the 15/70 IMAX projection system blows away what Disney has today.

Goofyernmost

Many scenes? Really? Many? What?
I already spelled that out. Rivers with kayaks and canoe's, golf courses, hot air balloons, mountain skiing, desert landscapes, rocky coasts, ocean scenes, orange groves, farm lands, waterfalls, naval yards, busy rush hour traffic in cities and pretty much anything else that isn't the Golden Gate Bridge and Disneyland. In the event that you have misunderstood what I was trying to say... I didn't say that those scenes where from anywhere other then California. I was saying that those scenes or really close to the same scenery could have been in many places of the country. California does not hold a monopoly on scenic areas. That is why, in Florida, they didn't call it Soarin over California and they just called it Soarin. Anyone that hadn't been to DCA or California or been on these Boards, would have had no way of knowing where all the scenes were filmed.

While I'm at it maybe people that have the distortion syndrome would want to take a look again at the original and see the numbers of distortions in straight lines that appear in that one. Pay particular attention to the very first scene of the Golden Gate Bridge and explain to me why they would have built the supports and the roadway with a curve in them, along with other roads and also does anyone still believe that golf ball was actually a golf ball hit by that golfer and not added in after?

JohnD

Not in this case. That film was made to connect with visitors to DCA that my or may not have ever had the opportunity to explore California and also to have locals be able to identify with their home. It's a very long state. I'll bet that even locals have no idea of the things that are in their own home state. It was keeping in theme.

They probably weren't aware when they built it that it might be cloned in Florida. When it got to Florida, even though it really could have been a number of states in this country (California isn't the only area with spectacular nature and iconic locations that could have been used). So they took out the Soarin over California and it just became Soarin, no mention of actual location. The ocean, the mountains, the golf courses, the balloon launch and so on could have been anywhere. However, there was only one Golden Gate Bridge, Disneyland and Sleeping Beauty Castle. That last thing was always the disappointment with the ride. Spectacular as it was to watch and experience, it ended in the wrong place. That made it thematically perfect for DCA and not so much, in Epcot. We were in Disney World why would we want to see Disneyland. If tourist angle was there, why wasn't the one in California promoting the East Coast?

So to me, it was just a quick fill in for that promotion (DL's 50th). They could have at least redone the ending so it was either SSE or why not, Cinderella Castle. They were able to do a localized ending with the new one!

Just a little side note here... I originally saw Soarin over California in DCA in 2005 during the 50th of DL. The attraction was practically empty in California. When we think of the lines and the need to add a third theater in Epcot, I doubt that they really believed that Soarin was going to be as popular as it has continued to be.

I agree in principle that the ending of Soarin’ with the Golden Gate Bridge and DL doesn’t work in Epcot. But in all other respects it is still the superior version compared to “World.” The smells and score (remember Goldsmith was given a completed film and composed a score to fit) alone make it better. Even the direct cut from scene to scene compared to World where the CGI element is obvious that will provide the transition. If there is any “bending” it isn’t obvious because there aren’t tall buildings like the Eiffel Tower and Taj Mahal that bend at a 90 degree angle.

The World version was highly anticipated but failed to deliver. I wouldn’t mind seeing the original again just for appreciating the better original

JohnD

You do realize that one of the biggest complaints about the original was that there was no transition at all. Just suddenly being in a different location with no warning. I don't think it hurt anything, others did. The new one in my opinion is just fine, nothing spectacular but at least an effort was made to transition. It's all in individual perception. It adds a little individual trauma for the guests. There is way to much whining about the new one anyway. It only shows how little flexibility that people have. We only like what we are used too.

My complaint about the new one IS the transition. i prefer cut from scene to scene rather than fake CGI which completely distracts. Look! There’s the Orca/elephant/kite/bird that will come up on us and sweep us to the next scene!

Goofyernmost

My complaint about the new one IS the transition. i prefer cut from scene to scene rather than fake CGI which completely distracts. Look! There’s the Orca/elephant/kite/bird that will come up on us and sweep us to the next scene!
I didn't mind either one, but, everyone feels differently about this stuff.

Damon7777

. I was saying that those scenes or really close to the same scenery could have been in many places of the country. California does not hold a monopoly on scenic areas.

9 to 4

While my quantitave reasoning skills suck big time I count 9 scenes that are obviously pure Cali and 4 could be mistaken for other locales. The obvious Cali scenes out number the more nebulous ones by over a 2 to 1 ratio.

Last edited:

Damon7777

Having seen the Taj Mahal in person, I think they did a great job recreating it. The only part of the film that looks obviously fake to me is the Fijian rowers.

You started off with credibility with your first hand take on the real Taj but then lost a lot by only noticing the fake rowers........there are more blatant fake images to be ridiculed or questioned on that reel.

The new film embarrasses Disney and the team behind it.

LittleBuford

You started off with credibility with your first hand take on the real Taj but then lost a lot by only noticing the fake rowers........there are more blatant fake images to be ridiculed or questioned on that reel.

Let me clarify. There is a lot in that film that is fake, including, of course, the animals, but only the rowers looks jarringly fake to me (and "jarringly fake" rather than "obviously fake" is what I should have written). The other CGI elements are well enough done (in my eyes) that I can suspend my disbelief and buy them as real, even if I know they're not.

The new film embarrasses Disney and the team behind it.

I don't agree, but then it's all a matter of personal taste.

Last edited:

graphite1326

I think the Soarin’ Around the World concept is perfect for Epcot. Where they failed was not focusing enough on landscapes and went for too many landmarks and buildings. The whole point is to fly over landscapes, not near famous buildings. Doing the majority in CGI defeated a lot of the purpose as well. I personally don’t mind the transitions but too many of them attempt to startle the viewer.

I’d like to see the worst scenes of ATW swapped out with the best scenes from the original.
I agree, too much CGI.

Goofyernmost

9 to 4

While my quantitave reasoning skills suck big time I count 9 scenes that are obviously pure Cali and 4 could be mistaken for other locales. The obvious Cali scenes out number the more nebulous ones by over a 2 to 1 ratio.
So you are saying that no other place in the country can produce a pretty good copy of those. I know you must love your state, but, come on there are many places on the east coast alone that can rival those locations. That is the just of why they were able to and wanted to not have it be named Soarin Over California when they added it to Epcot. Those things can be seen in other states. Those actual locations might be inclusively California, but, trust me there are many other places just as scenic.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the California scenes in the show, all of them are Cali, but, seriously anyone that hasn't been to them would not know what state or even country that they came from. California is nice, but, there are 49 other states that have something in them as well, worth filming. Most could not identify them as being in California unless someone told them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom