soarin.....is it for scaredy cats..?

geordie31

Have been to Disney twice before and am counting the days til we return again in November this year, the waiting is killing us!!..but please, can anyone tell me, is Soarin suitable for a person with a real fear of heights?..to put my fear in context, i freaked out on the "ski -lift" at Blizzard Beach. So should i go on Soarin....:veryconfu :shrug:

Shere_Khan

Well - I am not sure how it feels to be really scared of heights, but on Soarin I don't think you can really tell how high you are actually going because you cannot see the ground as it is dark in the theatre.
I wonder if anyone here knows the exact height at which they raise you. Also if you are in the very back hang glider, yours will raise the least.
As far as the ride goes, your movement is, I believe, mostly side to side, you do tip forward a bit, but not enough to feel as if you will fall out, IMO.
I hope others can help you out more with it, I have only been on the ride once. But it is such a great experience, I hope that you try it!

Upvote 0

miles1

I'm not a fan of heights either, but Soarin' has never been a problem for me. It's only at the beginning of the ride, when the seats raise up, that the height is noticeable. Even in the highest row, my guess is that its no more than 25 feet up. Ask the CM to be seated in the last row, which may raise about 5 to 10 feet. Also, you can use the strap that comes up between your legs (intended for kids), for added security if it makes you feel better.

I wouldn't miss this ride over this fear; after the first few seconds you will be so distracted that you won't even notice the height.

Upvote 0

lilclerk

My best friend is terrified of heights (he can barely go to the mall without a panic attack) but he wanted to try Soarin'. The first time, we sat in the middle and he loved it. So we went on again a few days later and sat in the front row and he didn't freak out, but when we got off, he said he wouldn't ever sit in the front row again.
So you'll probably be fine, but maybe try sitting in the middle or back row at first. The feet aren't too bad ;)

Upvote 0

Chezman1399

My parents and grandparents who pretty much refuse to go on anything because it is too high or it'll make them sick love the ride. My fiancee is also scared of heights and it is one of her favorite rides in the park. I just wouldn't lean foreward and look down. Just sit back and relax.

Upvote 0

tamibar

This ride is NOT to be missed! We took our 7 and 5 yr old sons on it in June for the first time. The 7 yr old is leary of what he considers "scary" rides. They loved it...we had to go on it twice...and buy them the $10 Soarin' pins!
I agree ask to sit in the third row and don't look down-just sit back and enjoy!
Also, Fast Pass this as soon as you get to the park..it is extremely popular. Last Nov. (week of Thanksgiving) we got to Epcot around 12:30pm and there were no more fast passes for the entire day.:(

Upvote 0

TakeMe2TheMagic

I am the biggest scaredy there is! Also I am of terrified of heights, my fear of heights is so bad that I will not fly. I will not ride ToT because I am such a scaredy cat! I LOVE soarin!! I just relax and dont look down :D It's a great ride and would hate to miss it! I really think you should try it, I almost didnt go on it because of me being a scaredy cat but I did and I loved it! Now I ride it every time I'm at Epcot! Hope this helps you, have a great trip!

Upvote 0

kubfish

I am not a fan of the heights either but I love Roller Coasters, Soarin, Airplanes. I think being stationary is my major problem which makes no sense really. Wife just says that I am a freak. :ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

alexaveryq

I'm going to go against the grain here and say I'd think twice. My two girls are very different: my five-year-old is scared of everything (all the characters who aren't "face" characters, any roller coaster, strangers, automatic flushing toilets, STILL:hammer: ...I could go on and on), but for some reason she is fine with heights and liked Soarin'. My 8-year-old, on the other hand, is not scared of ANYTHING (she rode BTMRR 5 times when she was 7 and has since been to Six Flags and ridden every roller coaster that she was tall enough for), but she's not crazy about heights. She did not like Soarin' AT ALL. She looked like she was going to have a panic attack while we were on it. No, you're not particularly high in the air when on this ride, but you SEEM to be (I, who also does not like heights, didn't find this to be one of my favorites, either).

Upvote 0

tjkref418

My fiance, who is afraid of both flying and heights (don't even ask howthe flight TO WDW went...), said that Soarin' was her favorite attraction. It is very mello and relaxing IMO, and you should not have any problem at all. Enjoy your trip!!

Upvote 0

Cole28

I am extremely scared of heights, but I rode Soarin' last year because my mother talked me into it. It wasn't the height of the actual seats that bothered me (you can't see the floor because it's dark), but the movie got to me. I just closed my eyes for most of it. I would suggest that you try it, you might like it. If you don't, just cover your eyes.............like the scaredy cat I am!!! BTW, my mother LOVED it!!

Upvote 0

dazzer68

soarin' is a beautiful stunning ride, not scary at all, a clever ride, like one of those 360 fils (o Canada?) but more real with wind and smells. great ride.
one of the top perfect disney rides

Upvote 0

dramakid85

i used to work at soarin and let me tell you from a cm view. The height actually reaches up to 50ft in the air....you have to know that when you board you are actually on the 2nd floor, there is a pit underneath. When you are on Soarin thought, you really aren't aware of the height due to the screen being so large and that the theatre itself is so dark. I have seen a lot of people who were extremely scared of heights but I was able to convience them to ride and they loved every minute. I even had a guest thank me so much for not making her miss out on this attraction. My suggestion is to go an and ride it! Its the #1 attraction in Walt Disney World with a 95% guest excellency rate. Don't miss out! And if you have any concerns talk to the cast members there! They are really great people working there and they will not stear you wrong! Have fun!

Upvote 0

imamouse

My mom is afraid of heights, and of falling, but she LOVES Soarin' and rides it multiple times per day/visit/trip. I started her out on the bottom row, and then slowly moved her up until now she'll sit in any of the rows/levels.

It's an amazing attraction and every first-timer I've taken on it says the same thing upon take-off, "Oh my GOSH!" :D

Upvote 0

SweetPea

I second all of those who have said that they are afraid of heights but love this ride. A little advice though, don't let the "warning" signs posted throughout the line freak you out. I HATE heights, roller coasters, etc. but I did want to do this ride. All the while we were waiting I kept reading the signs about fear of heights, sudden drops and the like. I started to wonder what I was doing in this line. Well, I didn't want to freak my 4 year old out so I went ahead and rode it. We were on the bottom row and I have to say, this is one of the best rides ever!!! I can't wait to do it again in Oct. Enjoy your trip.

Upvote 0

MissM

This is one of the few rides which I'd encourage someone to try. Most times, I'm on the side of "if you're not comfortable, don't push yourself." I was really scared when it opened because I really wanted to try it, but I'm deathly terrified of heights. I don't mean scared or bothered, I mean terrified of heights. You couldn't get my lifeless corpse on ToT without a fight because heights and falling are the absolute worse phobias of mine.

But I braved it and tried it when it opened. And I LOVE Soarin'. I make a point to ride it every chance I get just because it offers this amazing view and experience without being scared. There's a few moments that I get a slight flutter but it's not in a bad way and the ride is just so enjoyable I look forward to experiencing it.

You should try it. If you get scared you can close your eyes since there wouldn't be any other sensation to make you afraid. (It's the easiest to ride to be able to close your eyes on and not still have to deal with what's bothering you. Most coasters and stuff, if you close your eyes, it doesn't help. You're still "experiencing" the effects.) Something about it though really doesn't trigger the height phobia though so it's worth trying once.
-m

Upvote 0

carebearsrgr8

Hehe

OMG...you should NEVER put cats on that ride whether or not their scaredy or brave....:ROFLOL:
Kidding...my thinking has always been if a grade-schooler can ride it then darn it so can I!!! LOL in fact many grade-schoolers LOVE that ride. If its something your interested in why not give it a try..it may even help you to get over your fear :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom