Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

No Name

Also, I wonder how long it will take to make the switch. Besides changing the movie, they would need to reprogram the movements and change the smells.
I assume switching from movie to movie is fairly easy. They probably, or at least could, have a "ride pattern" pre-set to each film. So basically different vehicle movements are programmed to each film, and Disney could change between both sets of vehicle movements with the flip of a switch. This is pretty much what they do for Star Tours.

So the vehicle movement change may be able to happen overnight. As for changing the smells though, I don't really know how easy or hard that is.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
So, fun info today from my buddy in internal marketing, apparently the "End of May" date (reportedly, May 27) is the opening of the third theater but will still have Soarin' Over California. Then, the movie switch will occur later in June or July, depending on Shanghai and when they finally open.

Well that is certainly odd. Reopening but not with the new movie. How much time do they need to program the new movie that has already been complete for some time. Sigh

Marlins1

If Frozen is really opening on May 27th then it would make sense to open Soarin' that day as well in whatever form they can. A 24 hour MK day might be in order too - anything to try to appease all of the people that won't be able to get on Frozen Ever After.

No Name

Well that is certainly odd. Reopening but not with the new movie. How much time do they need to program the new movie that has already been complete for some time. Sigh
It's most likely programmed and close to ready. It just has to open in Shanghai first. I can understand the reasoning too, Shanghai wants it first so they can call it an original attraction, so they can call it theirs. And Disney, thinking long ago that the park would open in 2015, probably originally thought the US upgrades wouldn't be ready till Shanghai opened anyway, so it was an easy little demand to cave into (and still is).

Just be lucky their Shanghai parteners didn't force Disney into a 5-year exclusivity deal like the other foreign parks typically do. At least, from what it sounds like, it could open in the US days after.

danv3

Im assuming it's because Disney wants Shanghai to have it first before both U.S. parks.

That had been rumored in the past. No one is sure just how long Shanghai's exclusivity is supposed to last. A day? A month? A year? Hard to know when EPCOT will get the new film.

Travel Junkie

Looks like Disney is telling us where the ride is going. Currently at World of Disney in DTD at Disneyland.

Cc-tD2PUYAEfem6.jpg

Cc-tD5xUAAEc-GU.jpg

pics from @Amanduh627 on twitter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom