So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 18 HYPE THREAD!

NigelChanning

Okay I wasn't planning on doing some feedback but I have thoughts for this.

I appreciate you trying to do something new and different with Journey Into Imagination idea and Dreamfinder and Figment but... to be blunt, I really don't like this Matrix/Ready Player One concept you're using because dystopia and Figment really don't belong together. One of my biggest pet peeves with adaptation is making things dark and edgy for no reason, which you did here. Of course you can make things darker but give me a reason for them to be darker. Overall, I like the general plot you set out but not for Journey Into Imagination because it feels like none of the themes that made the ride so beloved are there. The celebration of creativity, the ideas of human achievement being the result of "one little spark of inspiration" and the overall optimistic and hopeful tone of Journey Into Imagination just feel like they're missing.

Bottom line: You have the same problem that movies like The Haunted Mansion and The Country Bears had: a decent plot but it's a plot that doesn't fit the ride you're turning into a movie.
I completely understand where you’re coming from. If Disney did make a movie about Journey Into Imagination, this isn’t what I would want either. I just tried to bring something new to the table that would appeal to a different audience. Thanks!

JokersWild

Coming off of yesterday's podcast and the first reviews, what got you into Armchair Imagineering? What about this little community attracted you to join in?
There was an armchair imagineering contest on VMKMagic back in 2009-2010. I had a ton of fun doing it, and ended up on both VisionsFantastic, and here, looking for more armchair imagineering opportunities. Been here mostly regularly ever since.

In terms of what I like about the community, I’ve just really enjoyed this little niche corner of the creative writing community. I’ve really only thought of it as a way to practice my writing/ creative writing skills, though of course this has allowed me to cultivate a few very close friendships that I’ve had for upwards of ten years (that hurt to type.)

That being said, everyone in this community truly is lovely and I’d love to start integrating properly again after so many years of being mostly gone.

DashHaber

Coming off of yesterday's podcast and the first reviews, what got you into Armchair Imagineering? What about this little community attracted you to join in?
I've enjoyed thinking about theme park attractions for Disney and Universal for a while now. It's fun trying to capture the spirit and feel of something in attraction form, especially with the work that Universal and particularly Disney can do.

As for this community? Frankly, all of these quarantines got me so bored with purely writing ideas that I came across this forum and it seemed like a fun place to share them. That, and chatting with others could help to inspire potential ideas I might not have had.

Basketbuddy101

I think it came from a longtime obsession with Imagineering in general. At a certain point in my young life, I realized that everything at the parks was either an illusion or a carefully-constructed fabrication. After the initial shock of this wore off, or the raw 'magic' as I like to call it, everything that followed was awe and appreciation for the technical side of Imagineering. I started off at Visions Fantastic and played through Season 1 of SYWTBAI and felt severely disadvantaged with my lack of design skills, always making it a point to improve upon every season. Found WDWMagic not long after Visions went down, and was both relived and proud to see familiar faces like @TheOriginalTiki carrying the armchair Imagineering torch. Here's to hoping I can still pull a rabbit or two out of my hat this season!

Outbound

Going live very very soon right here

If I may, @NigelChanning09 , you have great potential. No one's first imagineering project is a five-star masterpiece (I was very confused in my first game, OLS Season 1). All you need is to maintain enthusiasm and you will improve. Doing so many projects within such a short time shows that for me. What I'd recommend this week is to do one project, but work on it in a Google Doc (or MS Word) over the week so it has as much detail as possible. Keep your current enthusiasm, and I can guarantee you by the end of this competition you will be a great player.

Outbound

I first found this forum about six years ago while browsing for Disney park ideas. Back then I made terrible short-lived writeups on MS Word, but I was really young so I can't blame myself. I lurked for a while before losing interest and moving on. Then in the summer of 2018 I remembered this place, and after lurking for a week, decided to finally join.

Weekly Challenge Two: Snackstory
Untitled-design-6.jpg

For the second weekly challenge, you're tasked with creating a brand new snack for a Disney park of your choosing. Be very careful about where you place this snack, because the cart you sell the snack out of also has to be themed. Please be as original as you can with your snack concept. EG: A different twist on a traditional Churro is acceptable, just coming up with a new flavor of Churro is not. We'll be grading based on how creative and effective the actual snack is as well as how well implemented the snack and cart are into the land you've chosen. Good luck, players. This project is due Friday, May 8th at 11:59PM Eastern.

Now THIS is what I'm talking about when it comes to prompts sparking imagination. At first glance I had no idea what to do. But now that I've slept on it, I've come up with something I would have absolutely never thought of in a blue sky prompt. It's gonna be interesting, to say the least...

spacemt354

Chili's
Are these challenges part of the game? Or is it more voluntary?

There were a lot of great entries last round but if we have them for the next few weeks would it be easier to start the game sooner rather than 5 optional prompts?

I'm only think I wouldn't want to do all these then be more fatigued by the time the game started

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Are these challenges part of the game? Or is it more voluntary?

There were a lot of great entries last round but if we have them for the next few weeks would it be easier to start the game sooner rather than 5 optional prompts?

I'm only think I wouldn't want to do all these then be more fatigued by the time the game started

The only way the challenges tie directly into the game is that at the end the person with the highest cumulative score gets a secret power going into the main game. As far as starting early is concerned, I feel like it's almost inevitable that these things always start early given the hype, so I'm perfectly happy being flexible with the dates. That being said, some people have expressed specifically that end of May would be a good time to start for them so I want to try to stick to that if we can. The weekly challenges will all be relatively low-key in scale so unless you want to try for the highest ranking there's no real need to do them all if anyone personally thinks it will lead to burn out.

spacemt354

Chili's
The only way the challenges tie directly into the game is that at the end the person with the highest cumulative score gets a secret power going into the main game. As far as starting early is concerned, I feel like it's almost inevitable that these things always start early given the hype, so I'm perfectly happy being flexible with the dates. That being said, some people have expressed specifically that end of May would be a good time to start for them so I want to try to stick to that if we can. The weekly challenges will all be relatively low-key in scale so unless you want to try for the highest ranking there's no real need to do them all if anyone personally thinks it will lead to burn out.
Sounds good, I'll probably hang back till the game starts but I'm officially "in"!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I've been doing this as a hobby for basically as long as I can remember. It's why I wanted to become a real life imagineer before I went to school and realized I hated engineering. If I can find it, I probably have old drawings of a theme park where the signature attraction is a giant ceiling fan you can ride on that I made when I was 6.

I found this site and this forum when I was procrastinating from homework one night back at the end of 2016. Had no idea Armchair Imagineering was an actual thing instead of just a weird hobby I did. Got involved in the One Sentence Comp right away (Tied for 1st with @FigmentPigments if I remember right). Then the ill-fated Crreator Games that ended early and lead basically right into SYWTBAI Season 14! I was hooked! I've been off and on how active I've been as school and work got more and less busy, but other than the summer/fall of 2017 I've been basically involved here ever since I found it!

It's a bunch of really supportive people who have fun and push each other to grow. We have a similar passion, and we find so many different ways to explore them. Open brainstorming. Solo blue sky projects. Dream parks. Question of the day. And, of course, my personal favorite! Competitions!

Team based, solo, blends, more competitive, drop in/drop out, games where the competitiveness is very downplayed... I love em! The competitive edge give me a good incentive and motivation to keep going and push myself the way open brainstorming doesn't. Plus, they're just a lot of fun. Friendly banter about what team will win, keeping one step ahead of eliminations, staying up late for reviews or checking in throughout the day for results, inside jokes with my teammates... Not too mention how much I used to like reality competitions and how these feel like a really low stakes version of one.

Point is, I love this forum and have had a ton of fun on it. I've grown a lot from it

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
As far as my origin story goes, it's a long one.

When I was about seven years old my parents brought me to Disney...and I hated it, haha. I refused to go on ANYTHING that went indoors because I was traumatized by the bat tunnel in Big Thunder of all things :p Fast forward to when I'm 11...I'm still too intimated to go on the mountains or anything like that, but I went into the Tiki Room for the first time, and a spark was born. The winter of that fateful second trip I was browsing Google as a 12 year old and was searching around for what I recently discovered to be the Tiki Juice Bar, something that I didn't even realize was a thing when I first went to the Tiki Room, so no Dole Whips for 11 year old Tiki haha. Anyways I want as much info on the juice bar as possible which led me to a little site by the name of MouseInfo.com. I clicked on the forums and registered as #1tikiroomfan. You can imagine as a 12 year old my vocabulary was terrible and my social skills were worse, but somehow I found a niche in that community of mostly 30-something disgruntled OC natives and found myself with the branded nickname of "Tiki".

After a MASSIVE ego-boost via being invited to be a moderator on the short lived but beloved condorflats.com, I started up a VERY small community on Proboards and frequented the then thriving RCT2 forum community. My proboards stuff I mostly did with @Snoopy, and my "flagship" site was UTR aka UnderTheSun, a place to talk about anything, well...Under the Sun in the realm of pop culture. Snoopy and I basically carried UTR on our backs with a number of people who would come and go for about five freaking years before I gave up on it. As for the RCT sites, I found some success by posting a series of short stories using RCT screenshots, but controversy came when a hub site in the community went up for sale and I caused a stink about a new person buying the site out who we didn't know because someone else who I did know was in the running to buy out the site. That caused the whole site to shutdown, so if I'm being honest with myself, I probably am somewhat to blame for the death of the RCT2 forum community in general. Not my proudest moment :p

Anyways, around that time I was frequenting a Disney site called MouseTimes and had created an Armchair Imagineering competition called "The Imagineer". Much like The Sole Imagineer, it was directly inspired by The Apprentice. The competition became so sucessful that it was actually advertised on the front page of the site in subsequent seasons with prizes such as Imagineering books to those who won, but The Imagineer never really took off.

What did take off though, was a game I was invited to be a guest host on within a site called VisionsFantastic. That game was So, You Want to be an Imagineer. Indeed, the first season really wasn't anything to write home about with the exception of a couple key events. The first was obvious frontrunner @Basketbuddy101 being eliminated in fourth place for designing a roller coaster in the place of Redwood Creek Challenge Trail that I thought crossed a line of realism. This elimination helped CostaFreak become the first true underdog of the game, led the way to DisneyFreak59 winning the first season in style with the iconic Legends of the Lost Army project under her belt, and the notion that anyone could win SWYTBAI in play going forward.

The first couple seasons where I was officially co-host were hot messes due to the fact that my co-host was posing as an Imagineer but came forward at the end of season three to announce he was basically living a lie and wasn't in any way affiliated with Disney. Yea...that put a damper on things, especially because for some reason he had a huge issue with Basketbuddy's length of projects which led to what I believe to be the most lopsided season ever of SYWTBAI...no offense intended to winner MadAboutMickey, of course.

Season Four was actually a home run which I was free to run on my own, and to this day I attest that if season four hadn't been the success it was I'm not sure Armchair Imagineering as a whole would be where it is now. Season four saw the first full cast of 13 players, plus the epic rivalry between Basketbuddy and @KingMickey which lasted all the way until the final two with a very close victory for Basketbuddy. After a really rocky 5th season the rest was history when season six introduced team dymanics.

To make a long story short, after season ten VisionsFantastic essentially left us to our own devices. They were gracious enough to host a forum for us to continue for two more (rather wonky...) seasons of the game before the forum we were left with was overrun with bots and the community was forced to migrate over here as the best option to continue the game.

And I guess the rest is history, haha. I will say this is BY FAR the most active and thriving community I've been a part of in my long history. What others have said about how supportive and positive people here are is completely true. The hype for season 18 is absolutely palatable, and I can't wait to see where this community takes my game in future seasons! :D :D

spacemt354

Chili's
I always enjoyed imagineering in spare time. How the rides were made was just as interesting to me as the rides themselves; I remember in 2005/6 watching the Discovery Channel Expedition Everest special, or Modern Marvels on the History Channel (this was back before YouTube took off)

But I didn't really know about these kind of sites back in those days. I joined wdwmagic because I had my wisdom teeth taken out and was bedridden for a few days in 2012. Sometimes long-term decisions happen at the most random of times.

Even then the first thing I did with imagineering was the WEDCAR competition in 2014 - I only did one round, and then joined as a co-host of The Creator Games in 2015. At the time it was a bit unorthodox for someone to be involved with hosting the comp if they hadn't consistently played and/or won a competition, so that did ruffle some feathers initially, but with that I made it a challenge to myself to try and prove myself in a way through competitions after that.

So, You Want To Be An Imagineer was my 'white whale' in a sense - because of its historical value and longevity, and I was fortunate enough last season to be able to do that. The passion for competitions though since 2016ish also moreover turned into a motivation along with many others, to help stay and contribute to a community here which gives us all a platform to create and work together.

It's why I get excited to see new members join and old members return because it shows the long arms of this community where we have folks from all over the US, Netherlands, England, Japan, Canada, Mexico, Australia, and more chat about imagineering.

We've had actual imagineers chime in and help on projects on occasion, we've had members go on to actually work for Disney, we've seen people from all walks of life from authors to engineers to music to law to medicine all come here for the common goal. It's why I keep coming back!

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
I always enjoyed imagineering in spare time. How the rides were made was just as interesting to me as the rides themselves; I remember in 2005/6 watching the Discovery Channel Expedition Everest special, or Modern Marvels on the History Channel (this was back before YouTube took off)

But I didn't really know about these kind of sites back in those days. I joined wdwmagic because I had my wisdom teeth taken out and was bedridden for a few days in 2012. Sometimes long-term decisions happen at the most random of times.

Even then the first thing I did with imagineering was the WEDCAR competition in 2014 - I only did one round, and then joined as a co-host of The Creator Games in 2015. At the time it was a bit unorthodox for someone to be involved with hosting the comp if they hadn't consistently played and/or won a competition, so that did ruffle some feathers initially, but with that I made it a challenge to myself to try and prove myself in a way through competitions after that.

So, You Want To Be An Imagineer was my 'white whale' in a sense - because of its historical value and longevity, and I was fortunate enough last season to be able to do that. The passion for competitions though since 2016ish also moreover turned into a motivation along with many others, to help stay and contribute to a community here which gives us all a platform to create and work together.

It's why I get excited to see new members join and old members return because it shows the long arms of this community where we have folks from all over the US, Netherlands, England, Japan, Canada, Mexico, Australia, and more chat about imagineering.

We've had actual imagineers chime in and help on projects on occasion, we've had members go on to actually work for Disney, we've seen people from all walks of life from authors to engineers to music to law to medicine all come here for the common goal. It's why I keep coming back!

Yea, when you first joined I will admit there was a certain bit of elitism on this board that I'm really glad has since gone away. It's nothing that killed the community, but you're really right in the sense that there was a certain aspect of gate-keeping in those days that I'm not proud of that has long since ceased to exist on here. One of the big reasons I'm optimistic this season can be the best yet.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Um wait...........................what is this Season 2 host drama that I’m not aware of?

Oh god, this is ancient history. Remember Enlight? He was my cohost in seasons two and three. He was always really harsh on the realism score because he claimed to be a real life Imagineer. Yea, a bit of a piece of work tbh. He would constantly go off to me in PMs about his personal drama and he ranted about how much he hated reading Basketbuddy's projects in season three because they were so long. He was very much a gate-keeper in the realism department and would often shun projects for things like not exactly fitting a footprint even if the actual idea behind the concept was really creative. Fortunately between seasons three and four he came clean as to having nothing to do with Imagineering, left VisionsFantastic with his tail tucked between his legs, and season four happened which as you know set a great benchmark for the game to come. Like I said, without season four being the big success it was I don't think the game would have had the long lasting appeal it ultimately did. :)

BTW, how much do I have to bribe you to play again?? 🤣 🤣

spacemt354

Chili's
Yea, when you first joined I will admit there was a certain bit of elitism on this board that I'm really glad has since gone away. It's nothing that killed the community, but you're really right in the sense that there was a certain aspect of gate-keeping in those days that I'm not proud of that has long since ceased to exist on here. One of the big reasons I'm optimistic this season can be the best yet.
Long term the merger of the SYWTBAI community with wdwmagic in late-2014 I think saved this place in a sense because it kept the engine going with podcasts and players before things really took off in 2016. There have been some activity lulls here and there but those mostly have to do with obligations in real life rather than anything else. I'm glad we have a community that offers a chance to everyone!

JokersWild

Yeah that’s a lot of the reason that I left for a few years. I got way too invested in the community which caused me to be a part of a few undesirable situations. I still don’t regret my actions during that time for the most part, but it made me generally uncomfortable participating for a short time and then I just kinda fell out with real life getting in the way.

Not to dig up old stuff, nor do I want to turn this into a discussion, but I figured I’d mention since we were here. This is the last I’ll mention it.

Um wait Tiki...........................what is this Season 2 host drama that I’m not aware of?
Never leave.

KingMickey

In the Parks
Yes
Ohhh Enlight. I honestly completely forgot until you mentioned him lol. To be honest, I didn’t know too much about the game before Season Four. The only project that I remember seeing was the season 2 finale with basketbuddy and MadAboutMickey, but I didn’t know about the drama!

Didn’t Enlight come back to play a season though? I’m 1000% sure we were in a season together at some point.

I’ll only ever play the game again if I have Mater and TrevorA to form a powerhouse alliance with. 👀👀👀

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom