So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 18 HYPE THREAD!

mickeyfan5534

QotD: What is your favorite type of Imagineering project? What kind of prompt makes your mind go into overdrive?
These are actually two different questions for me personally.

My favorite type of project is one that really doesn't constrain you. I remember one season as a contestant where I was eliminated at the semi-finals due to the project prompt to create a Breaking Bad area, a show I was (and still am) unfamiliar with. Were I not caged in to work with an unfamiliar IP, would I have done better? Who knows. Regardless, what happened happened.

A prompt that makes my mind go into overdrive is an out of the box entertainment project. Some of my favorite works have been the creation of some really out of the box pieces of entertainment. Some of these were a Cirque du Soleil co-produced Fantasia-themed replacement for Beauty and the Beast: Live on Stage that was presented as a rumor thread, a Hollywood tribute starring Goofy, and a nighttime spectacular version of The Golden Mickeys.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Strangely enough, parade prompts. Because there mainly about visuals, & I think that I’m much better at artwork than writing, so... Yeah

Oh god, I'm the exact opposite. I don't think I've ever designed a parade I'm truly proud of, except MAYBE the Daft Punk/TRON one I designed back a few years ago. I'm just not a fan of parades in general. I have a foot condition that makes it physically painful to stand in one place for more than a minute or two at a time, so they're usually towards the bottom of my "must do" list.

That being said, I vividly remember waiting 45 minutes for the Christmas parade during Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and literally shedding tears at the float with all the princes and princesses on them. I don't know why that got to me exactly, probably something to the effect of "this company has had SUCH a big impact on my life and will always be there for me!" haha.

mickeyfan5534

I vividly remember waiting 45 minutes for the Christmas parade during Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and literally shedding tears at the float with all the princes and princesses on them. I don't know why that got to me exactly, probably something to the effect of "this company has had SUCH a big impact on my life and will always be there for me!"

Big mood right here. I think that unit in itself, regardless of whether or not the Crystal Castle should be burned (it should), is just so well put together that it's hard to not get emotional seeing it. It's shockingly hard to do that.
If I get emotional during a piece of entertainment, it's probably because either the message hit me like a brick wall (Happily Ever After, Reflections of Earth) or the nostalgia hit me like a brick wall (Mickey and the Magician which broke me multiple times every time I saw it)

Outbound

QotD: What is your favorite type of Imagineering project? What kind of prompt makes your mind go into overdrive?

My favorite projects are land prompts. I think it's a great combination of blue-sky, but with enough constraints to inspire me into doing something different. A lot of great ideas come as solutions to problems. Second, everything you do in a land prompt adds to a bigger whole. The restaurant, for instance, might not seem like much when you do it without any context, but as part of a land prompt, you can use that to sell your theme, incorporate it via lore to a nearby attraction, etc.

Similarly, I enjoy park prompts, but those are so massive it's rare you can get enough people to complete them in fast timing before your head explodes.

CookieMouse

Wall-e: Cosmic Voyage (Final)
Taking the place of the galaxy palace theater and the carousel of progress is wall-e: cosmic voyage; a massive, E ticket trackless dark ride. Dont worry about COP, because it is being relocated to a new show building on part of the tomorrow land speedway.

Layout:
130F04FA-2818-4738-80C9-C6C7061D92A7.png

Queue:
The Queue Begins at the location of the galaxy palace theater, where the wall is shown.
A539C6E5-E54D-4572-8D6E-E65C46870839.png

To Keep Cohesion With the rest of the land, the exterior will look sleek and futuristic, but as guests go further into the queue, it begins to transition to a much more rusty and derelict look. An instrumental version of “put on your Sunday clothes” from "hello dolly" echos throughout the queue, creating a haunting atmosphere, as the guests walk through a rusted hallway, littered with bnl merchandise. At one point there is a screen like the one from the movie, that plays an ad for the axiom, using holographic technology. The hello dolly music fades out, as the guests reach the loading station, and eerie silence takes its place. The guests are in a abandoned alleyway, with rusty looking vehicles labeled omtu: organic matter transportation unit. They are trackless rectangular shaped cars, with a grey color scheme, and have motion capability
Ride Through:
The ride begins with wall-e in his trailer, watching hello dolly, with his “hands” together, showing his desire for love.
A2E024B9-3C4A-4A31-8B4A-E3FC1EADA570.jpeg

the next room shows eve has arrived on earth, with wall-e watching her, captivated.in the next room
the vehicles are then trapped in a sandstorm, which is achieved by using fog. The vehicles scurry around the room, with wall-e and eve animatronics hidden behind the fog. This is based off the sandstorm scene from the movie.
After trying to find shelter, the vehicles finally enter wall-es trailer, where they witness wall-e showing eve the plant, which causes her to shut down. The vehicles go into darkness, and then find themselves in space, passing by wall-e on his spaceship, taking in the sun, and touching the rings of Saturn.
15668997-8332-48C5-B302-46A5229DA97D.jpeg

We then arrive at the axiom, and wall-e explores the place, but after that comes the highlight of the ride; the define dancing scene.

839B1C4B-19A0-4D2C-A0C4-6BA708CEA542.jpeg

This room is similar to the sandstorm scene in that it features free movement around the space, but it differs in that it is far grander in scale. The vehicles Dance around wall-e and eve, flying on the walls of the room, similar to what was done in the Shanghai Disneyland Peter Pan. Now, I could detail the rest of the attraction, but it essentially follows the story of the movie, so to save time, I’ll skim over it.
Post show:
The Ride exits into a gift shop themed to wall-e’s garage, and outside of the attraction is a meet and greet for wall-e and eve animatronics. In the gift shop, you can even get a cupcake in a cup, or other various liquid foods. Don’t worry, these don’t contain any human flesh, unlike what a certain “Game theorist” may tell you.... they are probably going to be milkshakes, or something like that.

NigelChanning

Wall-e: Cosmic Voyage (Final)
Taking the place of the galaxy palace theater and the carousel of progress is wall-e: cosmic voyage; a massive, E ticket trackless dark ride. Dont worry about COP, because it is being relocated to a new show building on part of the tomorrow land speedway.

Layout:
View attachment 467702
Queue:
The Queue Begins at the location of the galaxy palace theater, where the wall is shown.
View attachment 467703
To Keep Cohesion With the rest of the land, the exterior will look sleek and futuristic, but as guests go further into the queue, it begins to transition to a much more rusty and derelict look. An instrumental version of “put on your Sunday clothes” from "hello dolly" echos throughout the queue, creating a haunting atmosphere, as the guests walk through a rusted hallway, littered with bnl merchandise. At one point there is a screen like the one from the movie, that plays an ad for the axiom, using holographic technology. The hello dolly music fades out, as the guests reach the loading station, and eerie silence takes its place. The guests are in a abandoned alleyway, with rusty looking vehicles labeled omtu: organic matter transportation unit. They are trackless rectangular shaped cars, with a grey color scheme, and have motion capability
Ride Through:
The ride begins with wall-e in his trailer, watching hello dolly, with his “hands” together, showing his desire for love.
View attachment 467704
the next room shows eve has arrived on earth, with wall-e watching her, captivated.in the next room
the vehicles are then trapped in a sandstorm, which is achieved by using fog. The vehicles scurry around the room, with wall-e and eve animatronics hidden behind the fog. This is based off the sandstorm scene from the movie.
After trying to find shelter, the vehicles finally enter wall-es trailer, where they witness wall-e showing eve the plant, which causes her to shut down. The vehicles go into darkness, and then find themselves in space, passing by wall-e on his spaceship, taking in the sun, and touching the rings of Saturn.
View attachment 467705
We then arrive at the axiom, and wall-e explores the place, but after that comes the highlight of the ride; the define dancing scene.

View attachment 467706
This room is similar to the sandstorm scene in that it features free movement around the space, but it differs in that it is far grander in scale. The vehicles Dance around wall-e and eve, flying on the walls of the room, similar to what was done in the Shanghai Disneyland Peter Pan. Now, I could detail the rest of the attraction, but it essentially follows the story of the movie, so to save time, I’ll skim over it.
Post show:
The Ride exits into a gift shop themed to wall-e’s garage, and outside of the attraction is a meet and greet for wall-e and eve animatronics. In the gift shop, you can even get a cupcake in a cup, or other various liquid foods. Don’t worry, these don’t contain any human flesh, unlike what a certain “Game theorist” may tell you.... they are probably going to be milkshakes, or something like that.
Love this!!! Quick question, how did you make the layout?

Basketbuddy101

Good to be back. I hope I'll be able to stick around for the full season. In the meantime, I present my submission.

0bPTbNe.jpg

As charming and well-designed as Mickey's Toontown may be, there is no question that the land could benefit from some major additions, and possibly subtractions. It's apparent that Team Disney Anaheim is willing to invest in Toontown's development, as evidenced by its recent announcement of 'Mickey's Runaway Railway,' and 'Hover Ducks' would represent a continuation of this initiative. Utilizing a tried-and-true ride system currently in use at Tokyo DisneySea, Hover Ducks would send guests on a 3 minute boat cruise along the banks of the newly-expanded 'Toon Lake,' which up until now encompassed only Donald's Boat and part of Gadget's Go-Coaster. The nearby Goofy's Playhouse would be demolished and subsequently replaced by the attraction, a sad but necessary loss, as it has long been a feature of Toontown that, aside from its aesthetic qualities, has never been a popular attraction that families could enjoy together. Aside from upping Toontown's ride count, the revamp would help bring Mickey's Toontown into the 21st Century, with the aesthetic of the attraction matching that of its 'Runaway Railway' counterpart; the new attraction would thus blend seamlessly with the aesthetic of the 2017 Ducktales reboot, of which it is based off of.

Attraction Footprint:

PtVucj9.png

Attraction Concept & Technology

WyGZbj4.jpg
The concept of a 'Hover Ducks' attraction is not new to the Walt Disney Company. As Disneyland was being developed in 1954, there was an idea to create a bumper boats style attraction for Fantasyland known as 'Duck Bumps.' There might've been technical or financial challenges preventing the concept from being realized, but in today's theme park world, neither would pose such a serious challenge to its creation. Much like its 'Aquatopia' cousin at Tokyo DisneySea, Hover Ducks utilizes the familiar LPS 'trackless' technology, This technology sends the vehicles along a predetermined course, spinning and gliding in an apparently-autonomous fashion. There is no doubt that the attraction will suffer occasionally from the expected breakdown given the relatively-new technology, but given that current areas draw little to no crowds to begin with, the new attraction will command heavy foot traffic, offsetting wait times from Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin and Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway.

Queue and Ride Experience

tE8KyVN.jpg
The entrance to the attraction is located at the foot of the S.S. Daisy, which would be modified to accommodate some queue space. The second floor to the boat would be repurposed as the attraction's control tower, where cast members would monitor the attraction in conjunction with dispatch down below. Guests travel underneath the new marquee and into the familiar boat, where the familiar cabin awaits them, mostly intact, all of the elements preserved to reduce costs as much as possible. A nearby radio delivers a broadcast explaining most of the attraction's back-story.

Broadcast Loop: And in other news, local inventor Gyro Gearloose is debuting his latest invention, the 'Hover Duck,' funded by a generous loan from Mr. Scrooge McDuck himself. Here's to hoping Gyro can pay Mr. McDuck back with that 99.9% interest rate! We asked Mr. McDuck what compelled him to commit to such a quacky-wacky concept. Mr. McDuck says innovation is on the 'duckline,' and this was his chance to inspire the great minds of Mickey's Toontown. Whatever floats your boat, Mr. McDuck! We always thought you were a tough nut to quack! All hands on deck, friends, now you too can rent your very own 'Hover Duck' for a crazy cruise along Toon Lake! Don't be shy, don't be a lame duck, if you're in ToonTown, you're in great luck!

tBLHVTn.jpg

After passing through the S.S. Daisy, guests are led along the red rocks located just north of the boat, the familiar waterfall glistening in the sunlight. A series of carefully-woven switchback rails guide guests along the perimeter of the attraction, with the rockwork being expanded west of the boat towards the area formerly-known as 'Toon Park.' It's at this point that guests can enjoy scenic views of the attraction, all under the shade and comfort of the preserved foliage. After making a u-turn at the far end of the lake, guests board their own 'Hover Duck,' a steampunk-inspired vessel tooting, huffing, and chugging its way along the 2" 'lake,' a hidden speaker system completing the effect, along with thick clouds of 'steam' emerging from the 'exhaust pipe,' which also doubles as an antenna for each vehicle. Upon boarding, up to two guests may take in the safety spiel, delivered by Gyro himself. "This is Dr. Gearloose! For your safety, keep your hands arms, feet, and feathers inside the Hover Duck, and keep a good eye on your little ducklings. Ride the winds, folks!" The boats move forward and away from 'Dewey's Dock' and along the predetermined course, passing soft blue rocks, lily pads, and thick blades of stylized grass. Familiar frogs shoot jets of water in the air as the boats careen through the lake. A large steering wheel located at the helm allows for guest to take control of the water cannon attached to the front of the boat, while a manual nearby pump allows them to strategically soak nearby boats. The three minute experience, while reasonably-simple in its design and execution, will provide some much-needed kinetic energy, fun, and excitement to Mickey's Toontown,

Attraction Concept Art:
NgSrUrJ.png

'

JokersWild

Phishing for prompt ideas, I see :p

In all seriousness, I usually prefer dark rides or land expansions. I love being able to get super weird with ideas, but I really hate the “5 year plan” or “marketing campaign” prompts that have become more popular in the last five years. I’d really rather write creatively and mostly unhindered than have to think about marketing strategies and hard attendance numbers.

Also, @TheOriginalTiki, the only worthwhile parades are the party parades. The only parade that I’ll actively watch is the Boo To You Parade (and MSEP, but that’s different.)

Welcome surprise to see you out and about, @Basketbuddy101. Great to have you back.

Basketbuddy101

Phishing for prompt ideas, I see :p

In all seriousness, I usually prefer dark rides or land expansions. I love being able to get super weird with ideas, but I really hate the “5 year plan” or “marketing campaign” prompts that have become more popular in the last five years. I’d really rather write creatively and mostly unhindered than have to think about marketing strategies and hard attendance numbers.

Also, @TheOriginalTiki, the only worthwhile parades are the party parades. The only parade that I’ll actively watch is the Boo To You Parade (and MSEP, but that’s different.)

Welcome surprise to see you out and about, @Basketbuddy101. Great to have you back.
Thanks! It has been too long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom