So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 18 HYPE THREAD!

NateD1226

NigelChanning

Honestly, I wasn't planning on submitting anything as we just got a new lion in at work and I've had zero time to imagineer this week, but I had something pop into my head today and it stuck around, so I figured, hey, at least I could submit it. So anyway, here's my proposal.

View attachment 467711
Phineas and Ferb: Doof's Sing-Along Spectacular-inator
Well I'll be honest I don't really understand
But I fell down this hill and I got glue on my hands
Now I got records on my fingers
Kids: Whaaaat?
Records on my fingers
I got records on my fingers and I just can't stop

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
QotD: What is your favorite type of Imagineering project? What kind of prompt makes your mind go into overdrive?
I tend to enjoy really small stuff that I can go all in on. Some of my favorite things I've made are a song, a Tangled dark ride that could've been built in 1955, and a themed bathroom lol. I'd love something like the infamous bench project from SA.

Other than that, I love more out there or uncommon prompts like Halloween Horror Night Mazes or a video game or an ad campaign. Of course, they only work if they're a small part of a game. But they're always a treat.

Also, welcome back @Basketbuddy101! One of the most talented people on the board!

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Weekly Challenge Two: Snackstory
Untitled-design-6.jpg

For the second weekly challenge, you're tasked with creating a brand new snack for a Disney park of your choosing. Be very careful about where you place this snack, because the cart you sell the snack out of also has to be themed. Please be as original as you can with your snack concept. EG: A different twist on a traditional Churro is acceptable, just coming up with a new flavor of Churro is not. We'll be grading based on how creative and effective the actual snack is as well as how well implemented the snack and cart are into the land you've chosen. Good luck, players. This project is due Friday, May 8th at 11:59PM Eastern.​

mickeyfan5534

Got delayed because it is my cousin's birthday, so I missed the podcast. But I still got my project done!

Pi Presents:

View attachment 467726

Coming Soon to the Nintendo Switch, a 3D platformer inviting you to explore the world of the iconic series!
When we say blue sky, we mean the sky's the limit and you really went to the sky with this one on the sheer concept alone. I really appreciate the idea of making it a 3D Platformer since I absolutely see that working with DuckTales and I love the idea of each level. It really reminds me of Battle for Bikini Bottom in the best possible way.
My only question: when can I play it?

Creativity: 9/10 - It's a licensed IP 3D platformer but its a good licensed IP 3D platformer. The addition of other game genres via the mini-games helped to elevate it here as well. You took an oddball, out-of-the-box idea and made it work.
Detail: 9/10 - This was the perfect amount of detail. Everything was laid out really well. I think the only thing you could have potentially added was a map of each area and even that sounds like it may be too much.
Realism: 9/10 - I can just absolutely see this happening. I knocked off a point purely because Disney and video games aren't always the best of friends.
Presentation: 9/10 - A really nicely formatted and organized document. I can't really complain about anything.
Total: 36/40 - Just a really, really, really solid project.

NigelChanning

The projects have already been graded, but if you want to throw one more out for fun, that'll be fine and I'll try to give some feedback.
Journey Into Imagination (Movie)
This movie is a darker take on the ride and is meant to reflect on the ideals of what the pavilion is all about.

The movie begins with an introduction to a dystopian world. Think of Earth in Wall-e, except for the company responsible isn’t BNL, it’s The Imagination Institute. The world is abandoned. There’s no one to be seen except for Nigel Channing, founder and CEO of the institute, and those who remain loyal to him. The movie’s protagonist, a teenager named Jackson, lives on his own sleeping in rustic cars and under trash while trying to avoid capture. The movie only gives hints as to what happened to the planet and it’s inhabitants. Institute Drones fly around 24/7 searching for any sign of life. Jackson barely gets by every day and despises the institute. After months of planning, he decides to break into the headquarters of the Imagination Institute. He avoids capture by the drones and guards and learns a shocking secret, millions of people are being held inside the institute in small pods with what looks like VR headsets on their faces. After a brief action sequence, Jackson gets apprehended by the guards and forced into a pod. After the headset gets put on, he enters the DreamScape (think the Oasis from Ready Player One). The DreamScape is a vast virtual world where anything is possible and anyone can be anything. The hub of this world is similar to EPCOT where people are using their imaginations all around. The DreamScape is meant to be a perfect place where innovation and creativity are one. Nobody inside is aware of the destruction of the planet however. As, Jackson, who is aware of the lies being told by the institute, tries to escape, he ends up making quite the scene. He’s arrested by the security of the virtual world and taken to what is called the WasteLand. The WasteLand is where “disturbances” are taken. Old remnants of extinct EPCOT attractions like Buzzy, the robot butler from Horizons, and Bonnie Appetite make cameos in his scene. Jackson meets a purple dragon named Figment, who needs help finding the Dream Finder, Figment’s owner. Jackson begrudgingly agrees to help as long as Figment helps him escape. Along the journey, Figment teaches Jackson about the power of imagination and they share a fun moment together as they venture through the rainbow tunnel. Figment shares how much the Dream Finder, who is said to be able to bring an eternal peace, means to him. Jackson and Figment avoid capture by the institute multiple times and at one point, riding the Dream-Mobile. After finally finding the Dream Finder, he gives a speech about imagination and shortly glitches out and disappears. The Dream Finder was a fictional character within the DreamScape. Figment is a rogue code who was abandoned in the Waste Land. He was trying to find Dream Finder because that was part of his programming/ backstory. Figment was meant to be part of a funny intro to the DreamScape (as seen in Journey into Imagination with Figment). Jackson is furious and runs off. He discovers in abandoned archives that the institute viewed Imagination as something that shouldn’t be available to everybody and sealed it off within the DreamScape, letting the outside world rot. Jackson returns with a new goal in mind, taking down the institute. They gather others to help take down the barriers and escape into reality. Figment is deleted by Nigel Channing and as he fades away, sings One Little Spark in an emotional moment. Nigel is banished to the WasteLand as Jackson unites the rest of the people to use their imaginations and rebuild the world. The Imagination Institute is turned into ImageWorks, a place where imagination is everywhere and expanded upon. THE END

CookieMouse

Weekly Challenge Two: Snackstory
Untitled-design-6.jpg

For the second weekly challenge, you're tasked with creating a brand new snack for a Disney park of your choosing. Be very careful about where you place this snack, because the cart you sell the snack out of also has to be themed. Please be as original as you can with your snack concept. EG: A different twist on a traditional Churro is acceptable, just coming up with a new flavor of Churro is not. We'll be grading based on how creative and effective the actual snack is as well as how well implemented the snack and cart are into the land you've chosen. Good luck, players. This project is due Friday, May 8th at 11:59PM Eastern.​
I’m going to expand upon my Walle liquid food idea!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
It really reminds me of Battle for Bikini Bottom in the best possible way.

Battle for Bikini Bottom is legitimately in my top 10 favorite video games of all time, the influence was not by accident lol. I had to change a few things just because it was feeling too much like I was just a copy paste haha.

Sidenote, I cannot wait for the remaster! Between that and the Artemis Fowl movie both coming out right around my birthday and quarantine meaning I'll probably be hanging at home for it with family, my 25th is gonna feel a lot like my 12th birthday lol

Suchomimus

Battle for Bikini Bottom is legitimately in my top 10 favorite video games of all time, the influence was not by accident lol. I had to change a few things just because it was feeling too much like I was just a copy paste haha.
I got "Lights, Camera, Pants!" and Employee of the Month for my PC, so I never knew; and still don't; what BfBB was like though it does sound fun and I got a switch, so I'm hoping to get it for my birthday or Christmas.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I got "Lights, Camera, Pants!" and Employee of the Month for my PC, so I never knew; and still don't; what BfBB was like though it does sound fun and I got a switch, so I'm hoping to get it for my birthday or Christmas.
Lights Camera Pants was also pretty fun. BfBB is a lot like a Banja Kazooie/Mario 64/Donkey Kong 64 type game. But with three playable characters and some really large levels.

NigelChanning

Coming off of yesterday's podcast and the first reviews, what got you into Armchair Imagineering? What about this little community attracted you to join in?
I’ve always been a huge fan of the Disney Parks so thats where a lot of my creativity went to. I’ve always wanted to be an imagineer and I’ve been aware of this forum for a while before I decided to become a member. It’s a great community!

mickeyfan5534

Journey Into Imagination (Movie)
This movie is a darker take on the ride and is meant to reflect on the ideals of what the pavilion is all about.

The movie begins with an introduction to a dystopian world. Think of Earth in Wall-e, except for the company responsible isn’t BNL, it’s The Imagination Institute. The world is abandoned. There’s no one to be seen except for Nigel Channing, founder and CEO of the institute, and those who remain loyal to him. The movie’s protagonist, a teenager named Jackson, lives on his own sleeping in rustic cars and under trash while trying to avoid capture. The movie only gives hints as to what happened to the planet and it’s inhabitants. Institute Drones fly around 24/7 searching for any sign of life. Jackson barely gets by every day and despises the institute. After months of planning, he decides to break into the headquarters of the Imagination Institute. He avoids capture by the drones and guards and learns a shocking secret, millions of people are being held inside the institute in small pods with what looks like VR headsets on their faces. After a brief action sequence, Jackson gets apprehended by the guards and forced into a pod. After the headset gets put on, he enters the DreamScape (think the Oasis from Ready Player One). The DreamScape is a vast virtual world where anything is possible and anyone can be anything. The hub of this world is similar to EPCOT where people are using their imaginations all around. The DreamScape is meant to be a perfect place where innovation and creativity are one. Nobody inside is aware of the destruction of the planet however. As, Jackson, who is aware of the lies being told by the institute, tries to escape, he ends up making quite the scene. He’s arrested by the security of the virtual world and taken to what is called the WasteLand. The WasteLand is where “disturbances” are taken. Old remnants of extinct EPCOT attractions like Buzzy, the robot butler from Horizons, and Bonnie Appetite make cameos in his scene. Jackson meets a purple dragon named Figment, who needs help finding the Dream Finder, Figment’s owner. Jackson begrudgingly agrees to help as long as Figment helps him escape. Along the journey, Figment teaches Jackson about the power of imagination and they share a fun moment together as they venture through the rainbow tunnel. Figment shares how much the Dream Finder, who is said to be able to bring an eternal peace, means to him. Jackson and Figment avoid capture by the institute multiple times and at one point, riding the Dream-Mobile. After finally finding the Dream Finder, he gives a speech about imagination and shortly glitches out and disappears. The Dream Finder was a fictional character within the DreamScape. Figment is a rogue code who was abandoned in the Waste Land. He was trying to find Dream Finder because that was part of his programming/ backstory. Figment was meant to be part of a funny intro to the DreamScape (as seen in Journey into Imagination with Figment). Jackson is furious and runs off. He discovers in abandoned archives that the institute viewed Imagination as something that shouldn’t be available to everybody and sealed it off within the DreamScape, letting the outside world rot. Jackson returns with a new goal in mind, taking down the institute. They gather others to help take down the barriers and escape into reality. Figment is deleted by Nigel Channing and as he fades away, sings One Little Spark in an emotional moment. Nigel is banished to the WasteLand as Jackson unites the rest of the people to use their imaginations and rebuild the world. The Imagination Institute is turned into ImageWorks, a place where imagination is everywhere and expanded upon. THE END
Okay I wasn't planning on doing some feedback but I have thoughts for this.

I appreciate you trying to do something new and different with Journey Into Imagination idea and Dreamfinder and Figment but... to be blunt, I really don't like this Matrix/Ready Player One concept you're using because dystopia and Figment really don't belong together. One of my biggest pet peeves with adaptation is making things dark and edgy for no reason, which you did here. Of course you can make things darker but give me a reason for them to be darker. Overall, I like the general plot you set out but not for Journey Into Imagination because it feels like none of the themes that made the ride so beloved are there. The celebration of creativity, the ideas of human achievement being the result of "one little spark of inspiration" and the overall optimistic and hopeful tone of Journey Into Imagination just feel like they're missing.

Bottom line: You have the same problem that movies like The Haunted Mansion and The Country Bears had: a decent plot but it's a plot that doesn't fit the ride you're turning into a movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom