So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 16: Purists vs. Innovators (Official Hub Thread!)

Suchomimus

Hopping on this train and echoing spaces desire for actual feedback!! ;)
latest

Sorry! This train is only for the dead...but we can help you with that.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Seconded! It's so cool getting to watch live! Of course, I'm home for spring break now, so probably won't be able to watch live either way.

Well there goes the guy I was going to have co-host with me ;) :p Jacob's been weirdly dodgy about doing shows. I'm sure it's nothing personal but I can't guarantee he'll be on. Trying to get SandyClaws in as a special guest :)

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Just a warning, so far I haven't been able to find anyone to come on the podcast with me. It'll probably end up being a somewhat more professional version of the Elite Eight reveal. I promise I'll be more prepared this time. ;) (Still have no idea what's up with Jacob. He seems to fall off the earth every time I ask about recording... :confused: )

spacemt354

Chili's
Just a warning, so far I haven't been able to find anyone to come on the podcast with me. It'll probably end up being a somewhat more professional version of the Elite Eight reveal. I promise I'll be more prepared this time. ;) (Still have no idea what's up with Jacob. He seems to fall off the earth every time I ask about recording... :confused: )
If everyone would like when i get home i could provide some additional feedback reviews for each project. My laptop's video/microphone still doesnt work for a podcast but I've read all the projects and for what i personally thought were some of the best projects of the season, they deserve some recognition.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
If everyone would like when i get home i could provide some additional feedback reviews for each project. My laptop's video/microphone still doesnt work for a podcast but I've read all the projects and for what i personally thought were some of the best projects of the season, they deserve some recognition.

That'd be wonderful, I'd love to read that! I fully admit my capacity for given written feedback isn't as detailed as it used to be since switching over to podcasting for most of my "Review" coverage online.

spacemt354

Chili's
So I realized I had not been a judge for a big competition since 2015. I've done the One Sentence Comp twice, but those reviews are more based on the speed and endurance of getting reviews out rather than an in-depth look into more multifaceted and longer projects. Needless to say very few people around today have ever gotten a feel for my review style, as everyone has a different approach.

I'm grateful for this opportunity because not only can I say some of my thoughts on this very creative round, but it also is a sort of preview into how I am going to review the Sorcerer's Apprentice projects!

I tend to look at what I liked, sometimes didn't like, and what I think could be improved for the next project (though sadly four people including myself don't have a next project in this game:hilarious:) Also, I am probably going to have a habit of focusing on small details to projects, good or bad, so...anyway - on with the show!
-------------------------

First let's travel back to February 25th and look at what we're dealing with for the challenges!

Purists: Your goal will be to create a one-man show for any Disney park or resort. This show must use only a single cast member and a musical instrument of your choice. The challenge will be to craft the show around the performers personality, use the location to your advantage, and create a memorable off the beaten path experience that adds just a little something extra to the Disney Magic!

Innovators: Your goal will be to take the essentials of the Purists prompt and use it as a jumping off point to design a brand new Disney World resort that's anchored by your entertainment act. This means essentially making your act the mascot of the resort and crafting the theme of the resort around their personality.

I like listening to music when reading projects, sets the mood.

----------------------

@kmbmw777
Purists
Star Lord's Awesome Musical Adventure

To start I don't know if this was intentional or if this was just a fun coincidence after the inception of the concept - but SLAMA as the acronym for the entertainment is pretty on-point! It evokes a sense of musical fun, while at the same time making the title easier to say. I could very easily see guests saying 'hey SLAMA is at noon today!'

While most EPCOT Center purists would probably read this and immediately develop a hernia, especially when the Innoventions music changes to GotG tunes, your purpose to have this is well documented...so much so that something similar is actually coming to Epcot in May :eek:
https://blogmickey.com/2018/02/guardians-galaxy-dance-party-coming-epcot-may/

Some more positives, Star-Lord's personality was pretty well captured, great touch with the custom soundtrack playlist linked on YouTube, and your use of 3rd person embellishes well with the quirky humor of GotG.

Transitioning from that, while you do have a Q/A answering the concern I was going to address next, I'm still going to address it anyway. :p The crowd control of walking across the park with what will probably be a pseudo-Brazilian Tour group. Those are not fun...and are a pain for Cast Members. Also..
gotgdanceoff-139697.jpg

Lol I'm just picturing him constantly dancing like this walking all the way across Future World. To me, it works for a 2 minute intro to the film, and a funny moment in the movie, but it might get a bit boring and repetitive especially since it's such a long walk from Energy to Imagination.

So my thought to improve this would be, what if the location was in Innoventions East? Maybe you can use the former Universe of Energy Post-Show location - that used to be Energy Exchange? Or any location on the East Side of Innoventions that is a shorter walk. I could see that working for this entertainment a lot better (and it puts to use more of Innoventions which can't hurt).

Overall though, I think given that this type of Guardians entertainment is coming to Epcot, the popularity and in-character dialogue of Star Lord, and answers the prompt itself, despite some of my concerns about the distance traveled and locations, this nets a solid effort score of a B+ from me!

Grade Translation for SYWTBAI Scale:
Creativity: 8.5/10
Realism: 8.5/10
Detail: 8.5/10
Presentation: 9/10
Total: 34.5/40
-------------------------------------------

@AceAstro
Purists
Rowlf's Piano & Italiano

Having a character show centered around the Muppets, in Muppets Courtyard - is an excellent, low hanging fruit for this purist's prompt objectives. To create a show around a character's personality? The Muppets have personality in spades. Use the location to your advantage? Check. Muppets Courtyard can be so much more than it is, and Mama Melrose's bizarre placement in the Courtyard is a prime location to use for this entertainment option.

And while you could have gone with a more traditional Muppet musician that first comes to mind such as Animal or Dr. Teeth, you chose Rowlf, emblematic of the 'purist' angle of the prompt, but choosing the original 'star' Muppet on the Jimmy Dean show (a great fun fact btw) And I do think the analogy to Sonny Eclipse is a great example to have when reading this project. At first, once might think that an animatronic show wouldn't last...however Sonny and his Astro Organ is a prime example of what your show is attempting to represent.

To some things i might have cut, the hidden cameras and a Cast Member hidden backstage listening to your conversations about what you ordered and stuff sounds a little creepy haha. Though all restaurants do have cameras, this just read more invasive than it was probably intended. If you want interaction with the audience I think it could happen more naturally...for instance, similar to how Mr. Potato Head in Toy Story Midway Mania.

The way I might improve that part to get interactivity is rather than hide cameras everywhere, treat it like 50s Prime Time or Whispering Canyon where the waiters and waitresses are part of the show, and can interact with Rowlf who talks back and can say those lines. Perhaps the waiter can tell Rowlf 'hey he's having the meatballs again!' I also think it could have been a touch longer in terms of detail, however that's only because I wanted to read more! The prompt's objectives were answers without having to go into enormous detail. Overall, an A- from me!

Creativity: 9.5/10
Realism: 10/10
Detail: 8/10
Presentation: 8.5/10
Total: 36/40

---------------------------------

Okay taking a short break for dinner but will be back with the rest (including my own!) after - hope you enjoy it!

spacemt354

Chili's
I also just want to mention my scores obviously don't count...but the way I'm writing these reviews I felt it wouldn't make any sense to leave you all hanging without an actual score at the end. But just want to make that clear if it wasn't already (a lot of these were very close!)

Feedback Part 2!

@Pionmycake
Purists

Danni Spink and Chaplin's Big Break

Off the bat, this feels like a classic Disney-fied character personality, in a good way. For instance, her finding humor in naming a musical instrument after a movie star, since a movie with sound is ridiculous! It reminds me very much of the father John in Carousel of Progress saying the Wright Brothers will never make it or something like that. Very fitting to the time period her character takes place in, and very fitting in Hollywood Studios!

I also find it funny when you say her personality is compared to Meg from Hercules, I can see that, but I actually think for women of the time period, her personality is very progressive and nuanced in that respect! Her grit and determination (and looks from the reference photo) reminded me more of Dottie Hinson from A League of Their Own (again in a good way!)
leagueoftheirown-davis-hanks.jpg

Though perhaps Danni has a bit more sass and spunk. Which is put on display in an animation video! Holy cow that is great! Round of applause for the effort - and definitely when you have the time share how you did that in the Imagineer's Workshop thread if you want. Something I haven't seen before and would like to see you develop your skills in it more!

I also love the subtle tie in with the Dapper Dans and her father...it gives her character depth...and a backstory that revolves around her personality. Most casual guests won't understand the reference, but for the hard-core fans that will definitely be an 'ah-ha!' moment.

Chaplin the piano gag where she picks strong guests to move the piano, and then releases the lock, that is 100% classic Disney entertainment tropes. Spot on character act there...and I also like the variety of shows and how guests can come in and out regardless of the time and hopefully be able to see new things in the show. And can I just say that I am no proper judge of singing ability, but the fact that you had the courage to even put that out there as part of the presentation needs to be commended. I know I wouldn't have the guts to do that, so high praise from that.

My only concern with this is that there are already so many walk-around characters on Hollywood/Sunset that have a spunky personality, how would Danni stand out? While an auto-played piano in the 1920s is definitely a stand-out, there's a lot of this project that feels so real to me that it feels like she could blend right into the Citizens of Hollywood (which honestly I'm not sure if that's a criticism or not:hilarious:) So I'm going to go with an overall score of an A and call it a dapper day!

Creativity: 9/10
Realism: 10/10
Detail: 9/10
Presentation: 9.5/10
Total: 37.5/40

------------------

@DisneyManOne
Purists
Clef, Royal Minstrel of Fantasyland

Clef, not to be mistaken with Cleft The Boy Chin Wonder;)
latest

Clef is a character that fits in well in the medieval courtyard section of Fantasyland in the Magic Kingdom. And moreover, I appreciate the historical significance of a royal minstrel type character in medieval Fantasyland. Even though this is a bit out of order, while I liked the variety of locations I thought Clef would fit the best by the wishing well and Cinderella Castle in the backdrop. Fantasyland on most days is a stroller parking, wall to wall guest freeway, and while there are little areas that are out of the way, just in my personal preference if I wanted to go see a show by Clef, I would want to know the time and place so that I can see the narrative in full, and not be surprised to miss it or to show up halfway through a story.

Continuing on, I do think the variety of shows, and his eccentric character traits were the highlights. Unlike Mickey's Royal Friendship Faire, or the Royal Majesty Makers walk-around characters currently in Fantasyland, Clef focuses on telling the narratives of different stories told in Fantasyland, for a more intimate audience, and with an oral tradition that is unique to the time period itself.

The detail in the narrative as well should be commended. By far the most detailed of projects, while a do think some of the dialogue could have been trimmed, or an image inserted to get a better perspective on the locations for novice Magic Kingdom readers, Clef's personality of the changing character dialects and styles can be read through your script very well! (in both parts as well) Lastly, a small point that I will blow up into something worth noting...your very classical diction shines through...words such as festooned, ragamuffin, and so on, caught my attention!

Other than that, there isn't too much more I can either praise or nitpick...this is a very straightforward project that follows the prompt and evokes the narrative of the land, though I do think it could have taken advantage of a singular location a bit more. Nevertheless, an A- for a very well-elaborated concept!

Realism: 9/10
Detail: 10/10
Presentation: 7.5/10
Total: 36.5/40

---------------------

@D Hindley
Innovators
The Grid Hotel (Character - DJ.exe)

Taking the approximate location of the Persian Resort in the original Seven Seas Lagoon designs, The Grid Hotel blends in seamlessly with Tron Lightcycle Power Run and adds additional 'futuristic' vibes to Tomorrowland through DJ.exe. I really enjoy the complimentary design to the rest of Tomorrowland, Bay Lake Tower, and the Contemporary. It feels like a perfect location for another deluxe resort. (which I'm assuming this is, though it never said the specific category so I'm taking that assumption with a grain of salt)

Though, an issue I had is that guests approaching the hotel see a futuristic Zaha-Hadid edifice (great word btw), yet then enter a lobby themed to an abandoned industrial storehouse? Something about that feels a bit off to me. If I were approaching the resort, I would expect the interior to compliment the exterior. And since I already saw the futuristic exterior, the check-in transition to 'The Grid' is foreseen, which downplays the significance of the transition.

That being said the main part of the innovators show would be how the entertainer's personality transitioned into the entire resort. The End of the Line Club, ElecTRONica, and DJ.exe's synthesizer stage is a perfect transition that one would expect to find in a Tron themed hotel. Not that I personally frequent 'da club' I just appreciate the idea of a dark-light, neon raves of sorts to synthesizer music. Also always a fan of alliteration and rhymes; Chez Rez looks and sounds delightful and unique...something none of the other Magic Kingdom Resorts contain, trust me on that. Also...soothing CPU cooling...that phrase was well done;) And Bytes, your quick service spot, another nice locale.

Now to two things I think could be improved or expanded upon, one being the capsule rooms. Similar to the bunk-bed option in the Wilderness Lodge, or the bungalow rooms in the Polynesian, I would hope that the capsule rooms are a side-oddity for the hotel, and not every single room. It wasn't elaborated on, but that would be my hope. Secondly, while I love the idea of the Prism Rail, I feel like WDI would slash this and just make it a moving walkway...as the hotel is so close to the MK there would serve no purpose to have a train. If the Contemporary (2-3x the distance of The Grid) only has access via walk-ways, I think The Grid would as well. But nevertheless, there's a lot of positives in this project that to me outweigh most concerns, and for that, it nets a B+ from me.

Realism: 7.5/10
Presentation: 9/10
Total: 34/40

---------------

Final 3 coming up next!

spacemt354

Chili's
Part 3!

@Disney Dad 3000
Innovators
Buena Vista Hills Hotel & Spa (Character - Tommy Two Taps)

Heyy, how you doin'?

Okay, I will start by saying whenever someone finds a way to include a photoshop of a Disney Resort TV (in particular for Resort challenges) I just feel like it adds such a level of realism to the project. Regardless of photoshop ability, the fact that it's an attempt deserves praise!

Sorry that the video portion wasn't able to be used...from the sound of it, the video seemed pretty interesting (maybe one day down the road for a future project it can finally be implemented to its potential!) Nevertheless the narration of the video from the way it reads provides a lot of description and backstory to the Tommy Two Taps character, from his relationships with his family, to how he got the nickname, and how he eventually was connected to being an entertainer at the resort.

I will say though, just based on the guidelines of the prompt, this project was a bit inverted with how the character was related to the hotel. From my interpretation, the character entertainer's personality had to permeate the hotel, however in this case, it seems like the kid from Queens adapted to the laid back atmosphere of Beverly Hills. Almost like the hotel was the one with the personality that permeates to Tommy (is this a spawn of The Overlook?:eek::p) instead of the reverse as I interpreted the prompt.

That being said I loved the hotel itself. I would have liked to know exactly where the hotel was located in between Epcot and DHS, on a map or something, and if it would be connected to the waterway to DHS or close enough to walk to those parks, but that being said the lobby description, and the flowing dining and eventual Tropicana Lounge were all the highlights of the project for me. Which makes this one so tough because I'm sure the video for Tommy would have pushed me over the edge on it, and perhaps it would have better shown me a bit more on...which is why it's on the border of a B+/A-.

Realism: 8.5/10
Presentation: 9.5/10
Total: 35.5/40

--------------

@spacemt354
Innovators
Dreamers Resort (Character - Oliver Polymer)

I will be the first to admit that I could have done a lot more with this project. That being said, I would like to give a self-assessment of some good and bad aspects. For one, I do think a hotel at the front of Epcot, if done well, would really compliment Spaceship Earth and the surrounding pavilions...and would remove the 'tombstones' as they are called from the front plaza (even though I'm actually on one of the Leave a Legacy 'tombstones', but that's another story)

In addition, one park that would be an out of the box park to place a Society of Explorers and Adventurers in that could lead to unique storytelling, would be Epcot's Future World. Because S.E.A. as an organization is set mostly in 1899, but what if you told the story of the next generation of S.E.A.? That is featured in 'futuristic' lands of Disney Parks (Tomorrowland, Future World, ...even a time traveling Dinoland reference) could expand the lore of S.E.A. beyond just a certain time period. And a S.E.A. project written in the form of a letter (or in this case transmission) was an intended choice.

I also think I put a decent amount of effort into coming up with a backstory of Oliver Polymer (polymer is a macro-molecule bonded together by subunits) ....so his 'bond' with his father Emmanuel, who had to travel on a S.E.A mission to deep space, while Oliver built the Dreamers Resort in his father's honor, I thought that was pretty interesting...as well as the 50 second medley on the electronic piano I dabbled with called 'A Dream For Tomorrow'

But other than that -- I could have done better illustrations, those were clearly rushed. I could have been a bit more elaborate when it came to the hotel itself.. more details on the interior design, exterior, how it blended in with Future World, and much more....all of those aspects I feel would have made the project much more lively and vibrant. A hotel based around 'dreams' should have color and a sense of brightness to it that portrays hope for tomorrow. So all of that could have been conveyed much better. I'd give it a B-.

Creativity: 7/10
Realism: 8/10
Presentation: 7/10
Total: 30/40

----------------

@pixie_princess
Innovators
S.E.A.S. Resort (Character - Haley/Olivia)

Okay so Epcot Hotel, S.E.A. references, science topics...
2d3894d93b2f5423fcc37f83c8a6a41853e7cc8cc1fc8075002cdd40a4a87471.jpg

:hilarious:

The Society of Engineers, Adventurers, and Scientists (S.E.A.S.) off the bat I do think that would be repetitive with the The 'Seas' with Nemo and Friends just around the corner. While the acronym is very well thought out that does jump out to me as something that I might want to reconsider.

I think my favorite parts of this project was that you went into detail about how these science nerds designed the resort, and how they were tasked to do it. Regardless of the realism of that premise, (it feels very 'Disney Channel Original Movie to me' ;) ) it still is a core aspect of the prompt! How the character's personality is permeated throughout the resort.

The chemistry section, engineering section, astronomy section, all evoke the same 'nerdy' broke science girl themes that you were setting up with your character. I'm going to assume the main character was Haley. One thing I would work on for future projects is having a title at the top of the project -- not just your name and 'An Innovators Proposal' It will make it more streamlined for the reader to find out what your main purpose of the project is.

Also another concern I have is that if the map is to scale, the yellow portion could very well be right up against the show building to Guardians of the Galaxy attraction that is being build behind the pavilions. Also for the map I'm not sure what any of the colors mean lol I scanned the entire project and couldn't find any labels for it -- so while the visual representation does help give the lay of the land so to speak -- use labels! It helps the reader so much and can be done through any free photo editing software. I use paint.NET on windows, but if you have a mac or something else, I'm sure there is something for it! One more slight thing I would add (but obviously it wasn't a big deal since you're in the final four:p) but the prompt said 1 character and this very much felt like Haley and Olivia had an equal importance to the personality of the resort. While Haley was the performer, both provided the spunk and nerd fandom for science...so, idk, I would have just gone with the one character of Haley as the only voice for the resort....just to make sure with the prompt's guidelines I cross my i's and dot my t's (Michael Scott reference)

Overall though - a very strong creative performance and I think as you keep doing these imagineering projects and learning each time you will only get better and better! A very solid B for the effort!

Creativity: 10/10
Realism: 7.5/10
Presentation: 7.5/10
Total: 33/40

---------------------

There we have it -- hope everyone enjoyed this and at least found some of it useful in a way to apply to the future! Sorry for the delay in-between the parts as this was kind of an impromptu idea this afternoon haha

Good luck to the final four! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom