So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 16: Purists vs. Innovators (Official Hub Thread!)

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Welcome one and all to the latest and greatest season of the legendary "So, You Want to be an Imagineer" competition. This is a game that originated on the VisionsFantastic forums and found their way over to these parts last year with the explosive and controversial Season 13: Get a Clue. After a great return to form in Season 14: Greatest Hits which got capped off with @Basketbuddy101 becoming the game's first two time winner and the unconventional mega-brainstorming session that was "Uniting Universal", it's time to truly return the game to its roots.

"Purists vs. Innovators" will be a highly competitive "leaderboard" style season that brings the game back to its basic roots of the first four seasons. This means NO non-Disney IPs, NO vote-outs, NO PoMVP, and generally no big twists or strategy. Were bringing the game back to its purest form of being a really accessible and fun creative writing competition. Anyone can compete in any round, but competing in every round will give you a competitive edge if you're going for the title of the season's winner and want a spot in the Final Five.

Here's how it works...each round will be graded on the usual rubric of Creativity, Realism, Detail, and Presentation with Group Work mixed in when we do team projects. Each of these categories will be scored out of ten. A leaderboard will be kept throughout the first ten rounds of the game charting the points of each person who has submitted a project. The top 16 will get onto the official rankings for the season (16th Place-1st Place) while everyone else on the leaderboard will get special honorable mentions for their specific contributions. After ten rounds, the top five players on the leaderboard advance to the Semi-Finals and for there will duke it out for two rounds to be crowned the champion of Season 16.

And your first project begins...Right now! Midnight on Christmas Eve as a matter of fact!

Project One: So...Ya Like Star Wars?!?!?

galaxys-edge-millennium-falcon.jpg

Star Wars will be one of the VERY few acquired IPs not originally created by Disney to be featured this season, but since The Last Jedi has become the most divisive film in the long history of the series I figured this would be a good subject to start with. You might be wondering...(picture this in BlueDragonFive's voice if you're familiar with it...) "But Tiki, where does the Purists vs. Innovators theme come into play?"

Why, that's a great question! Each project this season will essentially be different riffs on the same prompt, with one being catered more to the traditional side of things, and the other with an eye towards the future of Imagineering. Many of the projects on the "Purists" side of things will include an alternate timeline element...including this one!

Purists...your goal is to create a hypothetical alternative Star Wars attraction to replace Star Tours in the timeline. By this, I mean something with full blown AAs and sets. Something that would essentially be a predecessor to the scale of AAs and set pieces were going to be seeing with Battle Escape when that E Ticket adventure opens with the rest of Galaxy's Edge. The only catch is you can only use technology available prior to 1990 to keep with the "Alternate Timeline" angle. It does NOT matter where this is placed. You can place it in the original Star Tours spot replacing Disneyland's Adventure Through Inner Space, or you can place it in an entirely different resort and park as long as it follows the pre-1990 criteria.

Innovators...With Galaxy's Edge not even open yet and only rough concepts of what the experience will be like to go off of, you must use that knowledge to craft a second phase to the famed "Star Wars Land". This means an entirely new "Galaxy's Edge" in either California Adventure or Epcot/Animal Kingdom/Magic Kingdom connected to Galaxy's Edge in Disneyland or Hollywood Studios. This new land must feature two attractions and a recreation of a Star Wars planet. One of the attractions must double as transportation between the two parks.

If the answer to the question posed by the title of the prompt isn't yes...don't worry, you can still participate! If you flat out don't like Star Wars then you can turn in an alternate project designing an E Ticket thrill ride for Tomorrowland NOT based on a pre-existing IP.

All the prompts will be graded on the same rubric and all of them come with their own set of challenges. You may only turn in ONE prompt per round to be counted towards your leaderboard. If you wish you may turn in projects for all three prompts, but if that's the case please specify ONE to be graded towards your overall leaderboard score.

Good luck, fellow Armchair Imagineers. This project is due Tuesday, January 2nd at 11:59PM Eastern. Feel free to ask and questions.

Completed Work

Project One: So, Ya Like Star Wars??!!??!

@Pionmycake's "Star Wars: Rebel Heroes" (Purists)
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...tors-official-hub-thread.936734/#post-8007507

@spacemt354's "Ahch-To Island" (Innovators)

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...fficial-hub-thread.936734/page-2#post-8009145

@kmbmw777's "Star Wars: Imperial Outpost" (Innovators)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VfKKu7bCPMhqAGCZM05UoOPruDY53GXdezR6QcKXBRU/edit

@AceAstro's "Path of the Sith" (Purists)
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...fficial-hub-thread.936734/page-4#post-8015519

@Disney Dad 3000's "Kashyyyk" (Innovators)
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...fficial-hub-thread.936734/page-4#post-8015733

@DisneyManOne's "Battle of the Force" (Purists)
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...fficial-hub-thread.936734/page-4#post-8016726

@tcool123's "Fragments of the Empire" (Purists)
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...fficial-hub-thread.936734/page-5#post-8019508

@Magic Feather's "Galactic Journey" (Purists)
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...fficial-hub-thread.936734/page-5#post-8021049

Last edited:

Suchomimus

Welcome one and all to the latest and greatest season of the legendary "So, You Want to be an Imagineer" competition. This is a game that originated on the VisionsFantastic forums and found their way over to these parts last year with the explosive and controversial Season 13: Get a Clue. After a great return to form in Season 14: Greatest Hits which got capped off with @Basketbuddy101 becoming the game's first two time winner and the unconventional mega-brainstorming session that was "Uniting Universal", it's time to truly return the game to its roots.

"Purists vs. Innovators" will be a highly competitive "leaderboard" style season that brings the game back to its basic roots of the first four seasons. This means NO non-Disney IPs, NO vote-outs, NO PoMVP, and generally no big twists or strategy. Were bringing the game back to its purest form of being a really accessible and fun creative writing competition. Anyone can compete in any round, but competing in every round will give you a competitive edge if you're going for the title of the season's winner and want a spot in the Final Five.

Here's how it works...each round will be graded on the usual rubric of Creativity, Realism, Detail, and Presentation with Group Work mixed in when we do team projects. Each of these categories will be scored out of ten. A leaderboard will be kept throughout the first ten rounds of the game charting the points of each person who has submitted a project. The top 16 will get onto the official rankings for the season (16th Place-1st Place) while everyone else on the leaderboard will get special honorable mentions for their specific contributions. After ten rounds, the top five players on the leaderboard advance to the Semi-Finals and for there will duke it out for two rounds to be crowned the champion of Season 16.

And your first project begins...Right now! Midnight on Christmas Eve as a matter of fact!

Project One: So...Ya Like Star Wars?!?!?

galaxys-edge-millennium-falcon.jpg

Star Wars will be one of the VERY few acquired IPs not originally created by Disney to be featured this season, but since The Last Jedi has become the most divisive film in the long history of the series I figured this would be a good subject to start with. You might be wondering...(picture this in BlueDragonFive's voice if you're familiar with it...) "But Tiki, where does the Purists vs. Innovators theme come into play?"

Why, that's a great question! Each project this season will essentially be different riffs on the same prompt, with one being catered more to the traditional side of things, and the other with an eye towards the future of Imagineering. Many of the projects on the "Purists" side of things will include an alternate timeline element...including this one!

Purists...your goal is to create a hypothetical alternative Star Wars attraction to replace Star Tours in the timeline. By this, I mean something with full blown AAs and sets. Something that would essentially be a predecessor to the scale of AAs and set pieces were going to be seeing with Battle Escape when that E Ticket adventure opens with the rest of Galaxy's Edge. The only catch is you can only use technology available prior to 1990 to keep with the "Alternate Timeline" angle. It does NOT matter where this is placed. You can place it in the original Star Tours spot replacing Disneyland's Adventure Through Inner Space, or you can place it in an entirely different resort and park as long as it follows the pre-1990 criteria.

Innovators...With Galaxy's Edge not even open yet and only rough concepts of what the experience will be like to go off of, you must use that knowledge to craft a second phase to the famed "Star Wars Land". This means an entirely new "Galaxy's Edge" in either California Adventure or Epcot/Animal Kingdom/Magic Kingdom connected to Galaxy's Edge in Disneyland or Hollywood Studios. This new land must feature two attractions and a recreation of a Star Wars planet. One of the attractions must double as transportation between the two parks.

If the answer to the question posed by the title of the prompt isn't yes...don't worry, you can still participate! If you flat out don't like Star Wars then you can turn in an alternate project designing an E Ticket thrill ride for Tomorrowland NOT based on a pre-existing IP.

All the prompts will be graded on the same rubric and all of them come with their own set of challenges. You may only turn in ONE prompt per round to be counted towards your leaderboard. If you wish you may turn in projects for all three prompts, but if that's the case please specify ONE to be graded towards your overall leaderboard score.

Good luck, fellow Armchair Imagineers. This project is due Tuesday, January 2nd at 11:59PM Eastern. Feel free to ask and questions.
Did you just change you avatar to a screenshot from The Star Wars Holiday Special?

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
I am going away for the holidays, I didn't think it was starting so soon. Oh well, I'll do the next challenge.

Sorry about the scheduling conflict. I know there was some confusion with that. When I said the game was starting around New Years, I meant that's when the first project would be due. Definitely could have been more clear. At any rate, I'd be more than happy to take a Star Wars project past the due date and add it to the leaderboard without any point deduction since it is the holidays. I figured more people would be out of school so that's why I wanted to start early, but if other people are having scheduling conflicts I'll happily push the date up.

kmbmw777

Sorry about the scheduling conflict. I know there was some confusion with that. When I said the game was starting around New Years, I meant that's when the first project would be due. Definitely could have been more clear. At any rate, I'd be more than happy to take a Star Wars project past the due date and add it to the leaderboard without any point deduction since it is the holidays. I figured more people would be out of school so that's why I wanted to start early, but if other people are having scheduling conflicts I'll happily push the date up.
The deferral of the date would be much appreciated.

spacemt354

Chili's
After some discussion with Tiki -- I've decided to throw my hat in the ring, at least for this project in particular, and go from there.

The Star Wars fan in me could not resist
it-is-useless-to-resist.jpg

Yes, thanks Darth -- anyways for the Innovators assignment
This new land must feature two attractions and a recreation of a Star Wars planet. One of the attractions must double as transportation between the two parks.
For any of the WDW parks, based on the sheer distance between the parks, and DCA with the configuration of Disneyland, how would a transportation route be possible? I could assume an answer to that would be ...innovate it:p, but it works in Universal Orlando between the Harry Potter lands because the parks are very close and have access to each other via backstage. None of the other parks really have that luxury to Hollywood Studios or Disneyland location wise, so just some clarification on this would help:) Thanks!

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
For any of the WDW parks, based on the sheer distance between the parks, and DCA with the configuration of Disneyland, how would a transportation route be possible? I could assume an answer to that would be ...innovate it:p, but it works in Universal Orlando between the Harry Potter lands because the parks are very close and have access to each other via backstage. None of the other parks really have that luxury to Hollywood Studios or Disneyland location wise, so just some clarification on this would help:) Thanks!

Yea, this is a very good point. I just thought it'd be neat given the Potter factor but I didn't really consider the practicality of the transportation, not to mention I have no bearing on the actual distance between the WDW parks (at least not until late February!) I'll go ahead and just add the transportation element as a bonus if you can figure it out...you're right, the only answer is sheer innovation :p Really just looking for two attractions and a new or recreated planet.

Projects are going to be extended to be due Friday, January 5th. Hopefully that gives everyone enough time to complete it.

spacemt354

Chili's
Yea, this is a very good point. I just thought it'd be neat given the Potter factor but I didn't really consider the practicality of the transportation, not to mention I have no bearing on the actual distance between the WDW parks (at least not until late February!) I'll go ahead and just add the transportation element as a bonus if you can figure it out...you're right, the only answer is sheer innovation :p Really just looking for two attractions and a new or recreated planet.

Projects are going to be extended to be due Friday, January 5th. Hopefully that gives everyone enough time to complete it.
Oh man haha have a fun time! Have you downloaded the MyDisneyExperience app? For a first-timer you'll definitely want that to reserve your FastPasses and stuff. And if you need any help planning feel free to ask especially us who've frequented Disney World more than other Disney parks -- be happy to help!

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
@TheOriginalTiki , for the Purist challenge...
1. Does the ride have to be a late scale dark ride, or just not a simulator?

2. Can the project involve things outside of the main ride?

It can be whatever you want it to be as long as it's an E Ticket that uses physical sets and AAs. The ride system is entirely up to you as long as it fits within the timeline of when Star Tours was created.

@spacemt354 I actually believe our 60 days is coming up this week if the math works out right. Leaving on Feb. 26th, first day at the parks would be Feb 27th so I'm guessing December 27 would be the 60 day point. We've had the resort (Port Orleans Riverside!) booked for months, but can you clarify when buying tickets how to connect them to your resort reservations since we didn't get the tickets as part of the package with the resort. I'm incredibly stoked! We'll be in Orlando a week not counting the days flying in and out.

Our general itinerary looks like this, with two days at Universal to be worked in depending on the scheduling of Extra Magic Hours (we'll probably do Universal on days when DHS is doing Extra Magic :p )

Day One: Magic Kingdom full day marathon. This park will probably be the most time consuming to crack out just because of the sheer number of attractions, so this will be the one day where we won't have a break since our energy will be at peak (plus the state of my feet ;) ) Also figured it'd be a nice way to adjust to the newness of the resort, with a park that's familiar but still very different from the Disneyland that I'm used to. On a side note, the Tiki Room over there is going to be utterly BIZARRE since my whole personality is pretty much indirectly inspired from Disneyland's version. I know it's generally the same show, but the minor differences are going to be utterly surreal.

Day Two will be Animal Kingdom during the day, Epcot during the evening. We'll probably be repeating this for the next three days as Epcot and Animal Kingdom are definitely our priorities. Rotating which parks we visit during the day and night, with two evening trips to Epcot and one evening trip to Animal Kingdom.

The last day will be Magic Kingdom during the day, and saving Hollywood Studios for the final evening (figured that makes sense beings as though Rock N', Tower, and the night time entertainment are the only things I'm interested in...)

As I said, Extra Magic Hours will also affect this itinerary but these are the basics so far.

spacemt354

Chili's
It can be whatever you want it to be as long as it's an E Ticket that uses physical sets and AAs. The ride system is entirely up to you as long as it fits within the timeline of when Star Tours was created.

@spacemt354 I actually believe our 60 days is coming up this week if the math works out right. Leaving on Feb. 26th, first day at the parks would be Feb 27th so I'm guessing December 27 would be the 60 day point. We've had the resort (Port Orleans Riverside!) booked for months, but can you clarify when buying tickets how to connect them to your resort reservations since we didn't get the tickets as part of the package with the resort. I'm incredibly stoked! We'll be in Orlando a week not counting the days flying in and out.

Our general itinerary looks like this, with two days at Universal to be worked in depending on the scheduling of Extra Magic Hours (we'll probably do Universal on days when DHS is doing Extra Magic :p )

Day One: Magic Kingdom full day marathon. This park will probably be the most time consuming to crack out just because of the sheer number of attractions, so this will be the one day where we won't have a break since our energy will be at peak (plus the state of my feet ;) ) Also figured it'd be a nice way to adjust to the newness of the resort, with a park that's familiar but still very different from the Disneyland that I'm used to. On a side note, the Tiki Room over there is going to be utterly BIZARRE since my whole personality is pretty much indirectly inspired from Disneyland's version. I know it's generally the same show, but the minor differences are going to be utterly surreal.

Day Two will be Animal Kingdom during the day, Epcot during the evening. We'll probably be repeating this for the next three days as Epcot and Animal Kingdom are definitely our priorities. Rotating which parks we visit during the day and night, with two evening trips to Epcot and one evening trip to Animal Kingdom.

The last day will be Magic Kingdom during the day, and saving Hollywood Studios for the final evening (figured that makes sense beings as though Rock N', Tower, and the night time entertainment are the only things I'm interested in...)

As I said, Extra Magic Hours will also affect this itinerary but these are the basics so far.
The tickets themselves can be linked to your MagicBand which will also be your room key to Port Orleans Riverside -- if you plan on getting the tickets in advance so you can make the fastpasses (you need theme park tickets to make those in advance) you can call (407) 939-5277 - and they should be able to help link them.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/tickets/

I'm pretty sure there is a way to link them via the MyDisneyExperience app, but any time we've gotten them separate we always call just to make sure it's done right.

If you can, DHS is a great park to visit at rope drop. Especially if your interest is in Tower and Rock n' -- at 9am you ride Rock n' for a 5 min wait, then jump on Tower at a 10 min wait -- and you're done before 10am and have the whole day left to do other things! That can also save you because you can only make Fastpasses for one park per day, so you could make afternoon/evening fastpasses for that day and get a ton of stuff done.

As a Disneyland traveler, most of the MK is skippable to be honest:p Pirates will probably aggravate a DL fan. Space Mountain, the music will be better, but it will be more rickety like Matterhorn. Though I'd say Haunted Mansion, Mine Train, Peoplemover, Carousel of Progress, and Splash Mountain are absolute must do's for a first time Disney World traveler. So if you're getting fastpasses try for those! (minus peoplemover/CoP, those are walk-ons)

DAK -- Pandora attractions need to be done in the morning -- otherwise they'll be way too long. You'll appreciate the boat ride much more if you don't have to wait for it. Flight of Passage is worth the wait, but still it's best to just skip as much line as possible so you have a chance to explore DAK through all the walking trails and stuff like that.

Epcot despite some of the negative fan backlash from the 80s/90s is still my favorite park because it's so different than every other theme park. It's less about the attractions and more about walking around, stopping in the pavilions, going through the countries, etc -- you'll have a great time there! (as you will everywhere in WDW because it's a really awesome bucket list resort for any Disney fan.) :)

Universal is fun as well -- I mostly enjoy it for Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Mummy, and Transformers -- the rest for me at least doesn't compare to Disney at all.

Last edited:

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Star Wars:
Rebel Heroes

rebel-alliance-wallpaper-desktop-background-On-wallpaper-hd.jpg

-Introduction-
Opened around this same time of year (Christmas) in 1986, Star Wars: Rebel Heroes was a landmark, high tech, E-ticket attraction that holds up still to this day. Not only a first of it's kind attraction, but an only of it's kind interactive attraction like none other.

-Ride System-
The ride vehicles essentially work just like the WEDway People Mover. Except the seats are sideways and the sides are enclosed (like the Doom Buggies from Haunted Mansion). This ride system was used because of how easily it can go from a brisk pace to slow and steady. Laser turrets are attached to the front of each seat for guests to control. Unlike the more modern Buzz Lightyear rides, these laser guns are simple light guns like from old arcade machines or the recent hit video game Duck Hunt for the NES.
duck-hunt-box.jpg

Some sections of the ride the cars rush through, other are more slow dark ride sections, and others are gently movie past tv screens that work like interactive arcade shooting games.

Unfortunately, the technology for individual score keeping on a continuously moving attraction of this scale wasn't available in 1986. So, the shooting is not for points, just for fun. Thus, unlike the Buzz Lightyear rides, the shooting and the game element is not the focus, just another immersive aspect helping to improve the ride and complementing the other effects.

1/3 quick dashing, 1/3 E-ticket level dark ride, and 1/3 interactive arcade attraction.

-Queue/Facade-

250px-Star_Tours_Entrance_DLR.jpg

The facade is relatively unchanged from the Star Tours facade in Disneyland. The addition of a few Rebel Alliance logos make the facade look more like a Rebel base.

The inside and the queue are all themed to a Rebel base. Animatronic R2-D2 and C3PO are seen working on an X-Wing discussing the dangerous Rebel plan to take on the rebuilt Death Star. A safety video from Mon Martha tells guests that, as members of the rebel alliance, they'll be piloting the all new Z-Wing space crafts in a mission to help take out the Death Star Shield Generator and destroy the Death Star itself. Just remember, no flash photography or the Empire wins.
monmothma-684156.jpg

-Scene 1: Space battle-
maxresdefault.jpg

After boarding the continuously loading ride vehicles, Mon Martha can be heard telling us to get ready for the jump to lightspeed. The cars speed up and the lightspeed tunnel effect is achieved practically with lighting tricks. The vehicles enter into a space battle! All the ships involved are models that have simple motion and effects. Bigger Star Destroyers hardly move other than some lights and sound effects. Tie fighters and Rebel ships zip around on tracks and mobiles. The machinery is hidden in the dark space environment where just twinkling starlight can be seen in the distance other than the ships.

Mon Martha can then be heard telling guests to turn on their targeting computers as the vehicles move in front of the arcade screens. The set up of the targeting computers works as an in universe explanation for the 1986 video game graphics in the arcade segments. Plenty of Tie Fighters and other enemy ships can be seen flying around the distant Death Star as targets for guests to have fun shooting at. After a bit, Mon Martha congratulates guests, but says their work isn't done. The troops on the Moon of Endor needs their help! Jump to lightspeed!

-Scene 2: Endor Moon Forest-
latest

Another brisk lightspeed tunnel! This one let's the ride vehicles out in the Endor moon Forest. Adorable animatronic Ewoks can be seen in their village. Stormtroopers can be seen on speeder bikes racing with Luke and Leia. AT-ST walkers can be small as miniatures in the distance as well as giant mechanical feet inches from the ride vehicles.
maxresdefault.jpg

Mon Martha tells guests to activate the targeting computers again to help destroy the shield generators. This leads to another arcade segment battling Storm troopers on speeder bikes and AT-ST walkers. After a bit, Mon Martha tells guest that they're needed on the front lines for the final attack on the Death Star. Jump to Lightspeed!

-Scene 3: Death Star-
ds2core.jpg

After another speedy lightspeed segment, guests join Lando in the Millennium Falcon flying into the Death Star Core like the climax of Return of the Jedi. Targeting computers turn on one last time as guest enter the Death Star Core. Guests battle against Tie Fighters and all kinds of enemy ships alongside the Millennium Falcon in a climactic battle while firing on the core itself. Leasing to a jump to lightspeed to escape the Death Star before it blows. Guests return to the rebel base as heroes. Animatronic Mon Martha, Han Solo, Princess Leia, and Luke Skywalker congratulates them as the ride vehicles slow down and return to the station.

-2005 Battlefront Update-
220px-StarWarsBattlefront2_PC.jpg

In 2005, the graphics of the arcade sections received a major update by Lucas Arts to coincide with the release of Star Wars Battlefront 2 (the original Battlefront 2). Using assets from the game, this update bring the attraction to the modern era. The rest of the ride received minor updates and refurbishments. Nothing major though.

-2011 Update: Republic Hero-
0c8965ef4383f85358d3568b513745dd.jpg

Just like how the real life Star Tours received an overall to Star Tours 2 in 2011, Star Wars: Rebel Hero is upgraded into Star Wars: Republic Hero. Based more on Episode 3 and the prequel era, this ride uses new state of the art technology. The arcade sections are again brought into the modern era with state of the art games. The effects throughout the attraction receive updates. The Space Battle scene is now very similar opening scene from Episode 3. The Forest scene is now Kashykk (the Wookie planet). The climax is now on Courascant. Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker are your narrators. The story is now about destroying General Grievous's ship full of Battle Droids ready to attack the Senate. Point counters are added to the games. New high definition screens are added to the arcade sections. A reinvigorated experience that reuses much of the sets and effect from the original to create an exciting new experience.​

Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
The tickets themselves can be linked to your MagicBand which will also be your room key to Port Orleans Riverside -- if you plan on getting the tickets in advance so you can make the fastpasses (you need theme park tickets to make those in advance) you can call (407) 939-5277 - and they should be able to help link them.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/tickets/

I'm pretty sure there is a way to link them via the MyDisneyExperience app, but any time we've gotten them separate we always call just to make sure it's done right.

If you can, DHS is a great park to visit at rope drop. Especially if your interest is in Tower and Rock n' -- at 9am you ride Rock n' for a 5 min wait, then jump on Tower at a 10 min wait -- and you're done before 10am and have the whole day left to do other things! That can also save you because you can only make Fastpasses for one park per day, so you could make afternoon/evening fastpasses for that day and get a ton of stuff done.

As a Disneyland traveler, most of the MK is skippable to be honest:p Pirates will probably aggravate a DL fan. Space Mountain, the music will be better, but it will be more rickety like Matterhorn. Though I'd say Haunted Mansion, Mine Train, Peoplemover, Carousel of Progress, and Splash Mountain are absolute must do's for a first time Disney World traveler. So if you're getting fastpasses try for those! (minus peoplemover/CoP, those are walk-ons)

DAK -- Pandora attractions need to be done in the morning -- otherwise they'll be way too long. You'll appreciate the boat ride much more if you don't have to wait for it. Flight of Passage is worth the wait, but still it's best to just skip as much line as possible so you have a chance to explore DAK through all the walking trails and stuff like that.

Epcot despite some of the negative fan backlash from the 80s/90s is still my favorite park because it's so different than every other theme park. It's less about the attractions and more about walking around, stopping in the pavilions, going through the countries, etc -- you'll have a great time there! (as you will everywhere in WDW because it's a really awesome bucket list resort for any Disney fan.) :)

Universal is fun as well -- I mostly enjoy it for Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Mummy, and Transformers -- the rest for me at least doesn't compare to Disney at all.

Thanks for the advice regarding DHS in the morning. That sounds really logical. We'll probably do a little more than just Tower and Rock N' so it'll still probably be a half-day thing (MuppetVision is an absolute MUST, for example...as is Prime Time Cafe). If that's the case, I'm guessing we'll do Magic Kingdom in the evening of the last night as a way to bookend the trip.

Pirates will be closed, which is unfortunate because I KNOW it's lackluster but I was really looking forward to experiencing the mediocrity just from a morbid curiosity standpoint. Plus it'd be a great last way to experience the auction scene in its original form. The ride actually closes two days before we get there. @JokersWild is a strong advocate for Space Mountain being better in Florida, but I'm pretty sure he's the only one I've talked to with that opinion. ;) It will be nice to do "Classic" Space Mountain again though as I haven't done that since 2009. My recent trips to Disneyland have all either been Hyperspace or Ghost Galaxy.

I'm STOKED for Carousel of Progress, Country Bears, and the PeopleMover. Three iconic Disney experiences my childhood was ROBBED of. Especially Country Bears as that closed mere months before my first Disneyland visit. Also generally curious to experience the "clone" rides from Disneyland like Pooh, Peter Pan, Jungle Cruise, Small World, Thunder, etc. and see how they stack up. I've heard several people tell me Splash is far superior in Florida so I'm avoiding all video of it and going in blind. Very excited for that! Generally speaking I'm fascinated by the "mirror" element of Magic Kingdom compared to Disneyland. It's far larger, has differences all over the places, and yet is generally the same layout with the same attractions.

Animal Kingdom our strategy is to show up at Rope Drop, crack out both Pandora attractions in the first hour, and then have a Fastpass booked for a reride of a Pandora attraction for later in the morning. Most likely Flight of Passage rerides both times unless Navii River Journey really amazes me. Really I'm only interested in that for the stand-alone AA. Very much stoked for all the walking trails and unorthodox layout of Animal Kingdom. Animals have always been a big part of our family so that's going to really strike a chord. Plus, Disco Yeti or not Everest might be my #1 most anticipated attraction bar-none.

Epcot I've got to admit I'm a bit worried it won't live up to my personal hype I've had for the place. For many years it was my holy grail of theme parks but now I'm trying not to set expectations that high. Frankly I think the attraction roster is mediocre on paper, especially since I'm one of the people who absolutely CAN'T STAND Soarin' and refuse to wait in line or waste a Fastpass or rope drop on it. (I have my reasons... ;) Mostly the damn seating arrangement which I hope to god Flight of Passage improves on)

Spaceship Earth, Test Track, Frozen, and Living With the Land are the big must-dos for us there. Mission Space I'm most likely going to skip just because of the claustrophobia factor. Excited for The Living Seas because my family is also way big into aquariums. Aquarium installation was actually my dad's job for a while. And of course I'm stoked for World Showcase for the exploratory nature of that. Recommendations for Drinking Around the World that aren't beer? We'll probably skip Germany as I'm not a beer guy but are generally planning on getting a drink at every country. Granted probably not all in one night.

Universal there's a few factors that make me want to spend two days there. ET is honestly a HUGE one. Being right next to the Nintendo World footprint I think it's totally endangered and I want to reride the heck out of it as this trip will in all probability be the one and only chance I get to ride it. I've also heard wonderful things about Spider-Man. Forbidden Journey is honesty my all-time favorite theme park attraction based on my experience at Universal Hollywood so I'm excited to see a grander scale Hogsmeade and of course the Diagon Alley. My expectations are freaking DIRT LOW for Gringotts though.

I'm expecting an amazing queue and to be utterly and completely bored by the actual ride. Same with Kong. Honestly Transformers at Hollywood was one of the most dull, lifeless "thrill" rides I've ever been on just because it was nothing but screens. That's why Forbidden Journey blew me away. I was literally expecting nothing but screens and the combination of screens, sets, and AAs on that ride is just absolutely incredible. Also will probably make a point to do mini-golf at CityWalk. Miiiiiightt leave early one day and go to Fun Spot to marathon White Lightning for a couple hours. That's a bit out of the way but I'm itching to get on a really good old school wooden coaster since most of them are being converted into RMCs.

spacemt354

Chili's
Thanks for the advice regarding DHS in the morning. That sounds really logical. We'll probably do a little more than just Tower and Rock N' so it'll still probably be a half-day thing (MuppetVision is an absolute MUST, for example...as is Prime Time Cafe). If that's the case, I'm guessing we'll do Magic Kingdom in the evening of the last night as a way to bookend the trip.

Pirates will be closed, which is unfortunate because I KNOW it's lackluster but I was really looking forward to experiencing the mediocrity just from a morbid curiosity standpoint. Plus it'd be a great last way to experience the auction scene in its original form. The ride actually closes two days before we get there. @JokersWild is a strong advocate for Space Mountain being better in Florida, but I'm pretty sure he's the only one I've talked to with that opinion. ;) It will be nice to do "Classic" Space Mountain again though as I haven't done that since 2009. My recent trips to Disneyland have all either been Hyperspace or Ghost Galaxy.

I'm STOKED for Carousel of Progress, Country Bears, and the PeopleMover. Three iconic Disney experiences my childhood was ROBBED of. Especially Country Bears as that closed mere months before my first Disneyland visit. Also generally curious to experience the "clone" rides from Disneyland like Pooh, Peter Pan, Jungle Cruise, Small World, Thunder, etc. and see how they stack up. I've heard several people tell me Splash is far superior in Florida so I'm avoiding all video of it and going in blind. Very excited for that! Generally speaking I'm fascinated by the "mirror" element of Magic Kingdom compared to Disneyland. It's far larger, has differences all over the places, and yet is generally the same layout with the same attractions.

Animal Kingdom our strategy is to show up at Rope Drop, crack out both Pandora attractions in the first hour, and then have a Fastpass booked for a reride of a Pandora attraction for later in the morning. Most likely Flight of Passage rerides both times unless Navii River Journey really amazes me. Really I'm only interested in that for the stand-alone AA. Very much stoked for all the walking trails and unorthodox layout of Animal Kingdom. Animals have always been a big part of our family so that's going to really strike a chord. Plus, Disco Yeti or not Everest might be my #1 most anticipated attraction bar-none.

Epcot I've got to admit I'm a bit worried it won't live up to my personal hype I've had for the place. For many years it was my holy grail of theme parks but now I'm trying not to set expectations that high. Frankly I think the attraction roster is mediocre on paper, especially since I'm one of the people who absolutely CAN'T STAND Soarin' and refuse to wait in line or waste a Fastpass or rope drop on it. (I have my reasons... ;) Mostly the damn seating arrangement which I hope to god Flight of Passage improves on)

Spaceship Earth, Test Track, Frozen, and Living With the Land are the big must-dos for us there. Mission Space I'm most likely going to skip just because of the claustrophobia factor. Excited for The Living Seas because my family is also way big into aquariums. Aquarium installation was actually my dad's job for a while. And of course I'm stoked for World Showcase for the exploratory nature of that. Recommendations for Drinking Around the World that aren't beer? We'll probably skip Germany as I'm not a beer guy but are generally planning on getting a drink at every country. Granted probably not all in one night.

Universal there's a few factors that make me want to spend two days there. ET is honestly a HUGE one. Being right next to the Nintendo World footprint I think it's totally endangered and I want to reride the heck out of it as this trip will in all probability be the one and only chance I get to ride it. I've also heard wonderful things about Spider-Man. Forbidden Journey is honesty my all-time favorite theme park attraction based on my experience at Universal Hollywood so I'm excited to see a grander scale Hogsmeade and of course the Diagon Alley. My expectations are freaking DIRT LOW for Gringotts though.

I'm expecting an amazing queue and to be utterly and completely bored by the actual ride. Same with Kong. Honestly Transformers at Hollywood was one of the most dull, lifeless "thrill" rides I've ever been on just because it was nothing but screens. That's why Forbidden Journey blew me away. I was literally expecting nothing but screens and the combination of screens, sets, and AAs on that ride is just absolutely incredible. Also will probably make a point to do mini-golf at CityWalk. Miiiiiightt leave early one day and go to Fun Spot to marathon White Lightning for a couple hours. That's a bit out of the way but I'm itching to get on a really good old school wooden coaster since most of them are being converted into RMCs.
Well I'm in the camp that prefers the WDW Space Mountain as well haha... I mean look at my username and avatar:p I just know that's the minority opinion and many prefer the smoothness of DL's version. However WDW's has bigger drops, tighter turns, and an old fashioned style to it since its the original Space Mountain.

For MK, Splash is a definite step up for me, the clones for DL vs MK are 50/50 for me, the facades/queues/etc make the difference most of the time because the rides are so similar.

If you don't like the seating arrangement of Soarin' -- you will be impressed by Flight of Passage lol you have to seriously make an effort to turn and look for the other seats, which is tough when you're so immersed in the scenes. And I'm curious for your reaction to Disco Yeti. Honestly, you go by it so fast that the last time riding it, the light hit it just right it looked like it was moving.

Epcot I would probably not go in expecting too much (Universe of Energy closed, Innoventions not what it used to be, etc) But the park still has such a unique offering especially for a first time visitor.

If you're looking for the classic Epcot feel -- do Spaceship Earth first, it's the closest attraction to the old Epcot. Other than that you've got a pretty good list -- though try to do Club Cool if its open in innoventions...free soda samples from around the world (drink the Beverly :p) no I'm just kidding don't drink the Beverly...:hilarious:

If you don't like beer -- Mexico and France are probably some good options for other drinks, especially if its warm out when you go. Sangrias, margaritas, orange slushes, and stuff in that ballpark.

As for Uni -- I never got the chance to ride Spider-Man, but the rest -- Forbidden Journey's my favorite -- oh yeah I forgot you like coasters...curious to think what you like of The Hulk and Rip Ride. :geek:

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes

For Islands of Adventure, bring a change of clothes. The three water rides (Dudley do right log flume, Popeyes rapids, and Jurassic Park) are three of my presonal favorite rides in the parks and some of the best water rides I've ever done. They get you very soaked though.

Unpopular opinion: the Jimmy Fallon ride is really fun. It's just some goofy fun.

The parade in Universal Studios is really bad.
(I suppose I could've just caught an off performance maybe). But it was a great So-Bad-Its-good experience to make fun of with some disney college program buddies while tipsy.

The rapid refill cups at Universal are a great deal if you don't mind splitting a cup. You can use them for soda or icee. Me and my one friend have a record of 8 icees in one day lol

All the Disney advice you've been given is solid. I think the three cabelleros ride in Epcot is severely underrated. Not that it's the best ride, but still very much worth doing and often forgotten. Same with Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor in Tomorrowland.

I assume this is the same at Disneyland, but get a button. I'm celebrating, happy birthday. Some kind of button. You're much more likely to get free stuff or extra stuff. I can't tell you how many chocolate Mickey ears or extra whip cream I gave people when I worked at the main Street ice cream shop just because they had a button.

spacemt354

Chili's
For Islands of Adventure, bring a change of clothes. The three water rides (Dudley do right log flume, Popeyes rapids, and Jurassic Park) are three of my presonal favorite rides in the parks and some of the best water rides I've ever done. They get you very soaked though.

Unpopular opinion: the Jimmy Fallon ride is really fun. It's just some goofy fun.

The parade in Universal Studios is really bad.
(I suppose I could've just caught an off performance maybe). But it was a great So-Bad-Its-good experience to make fun of with some disney college program buddies while tipsy.

The rapid refill cups at Universal are a great deal if you don't mind splitting a cup. You can use them for soda or icee. Me and my one friend have a record of 8 icees in one day lol

All the Disney advice you've been given is solid. I think the three cabelleros ride in Epcot is severely underrated. Not that it's the best ride, but still very much worth doing and often forgotten. Same with Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor in Tomorrowland.

I assume this is the same at Disneyland, but get a button. I'm celebrating, happy birthday. Some kind of button. You're much more likely to get free stuff or extra stuff. I can't tell you how many chocolate Mickey ears or extra whip cream I gave people when I worked at the main Street ice cream shop just because they had a button.
Yes! A 'My First Visit' button or something like that. Free stuff ftw :D

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes

Also, most places at Disney, the kid meals are filling enough (and I'm fat) an they cost less AND cone with the drink. I usually try to do things like that or packing food to save money for bigger treat meals.

And in Epcot they have kidcot stations in every country. You can color a mask and get it stamped in every country. It's a cool excuse to explore every country and give you something to do in each one. Aslo makes a great alternative to drinking around the world. Or something fun to do while drunk from drinking around the world lol

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom