So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 16: Purists vs. Innovators (Official Hub Thread!)

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Pix
Creativity:
8/10
Detail: 7/10
Realism: 9/10
Presentation: 9.5/10
Total: 33.5/40

KMB
Creativity:
8/10
Detail: 8/10
Realism: 8/10
Presentation: 9/10
Total: 33/40

DisneyManOne
Creativity:
10/10
Detail: 9/10
Presentation: 8/10
Total: 35/40

Disney Dad
Creativity:
8/10
Detail: 9.5/10
Realism: 9.5/10
Presentation: 10/10
Total: 37/40

Which gives us a final two of @Disney Dad 3000 vs. @pixie_princess

Since Disney Dad had the most points in the penultimate project, he gets first dibs on who does what prompt. Disney Dad, please announce your choices in this thread ASAP.

Final Project: The International Edition
poster_940x460_34.jpg

This is it. The big one. The one for all the marbles. The coveted title of So, You Want to be an Imagineer winner...a title only 13 other people on the internet have achieved, is on the line. For this project we set our sights to the future and theme of season 17 and head across the pond to international waters.

Purist: The purist prompt will be to create a "Castle" park for a foreign country that currently does not have a tent-pole Disney Parks resort. This castle park should use the same classic hub-and-spoke design. You may include details about the resort itself but it's the park that should be the main focus. Make this the best darn "Magic Kingdom" style park we've ever seen!

Innovator: The Innovator prompt will be a bit more challenging but leads to perhaps more potential. You must design a resort for a foreign country (same stipulations as Purist) only this time you must design TWO parks, and neither of them can be a standard "Castle"/"Magic Kingdom" style park. The goal of this prompt will be to push the Disney Parks brand into the future and ensure that recycling Disneyland's formula over and over is not all the company can excel at when it comes to creating a top of the industry theme park destination.

Good luck finalists. This project is due Thursday, March 22nd at 11:59PM Eastern.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
I counted a 33.5 for Pixie and a 33 for kmb

And we have the Moonlight/La La Land moment of the season folks. That's what I get for rushing to get to the podcast right after I finish the last one. So sorry. Between this and not knowing what effing PARK Pixie's hotel was attached to are not my finest moments as a judge. Frankly I'm rather ashamed of myself. Not to get into a pity party or anything.

So yea, double checking the math and indeed it's Pixie who beat out KMB by half a point (I really need to make it a personal rule to not use half-points next season. It does nothing but throw off the math.)

In my defense, I still feel left out in the cold by Jacob a bit when it comes to judging. Don't want to get personal with it but it's been a bit frustrating and somewhat overwhelming being the one guy controlling the numbers the best few rounds.

BIG congrats to Pixie and Disney Dad, and a HUGE sorry to @kmbmw777 for pulling a Beatty/Dunnaway on you.

Disney Dad 3000

Final Two reveal happening now!

I wish I could take credit for Dream mountain. That was actually a proposal done by Team Pixar during the Great movie Ride competition that I hosted last summer.
I'd tag folks who were on it, but can't remember all of the top of my head and don't want to leave anyone out. If you get a chance and time, I highly suggest looking over that comp. There were some really amazing team projects done over those 8 weeks, like Dream mtn.

I have no idea where I'd put one castle park, let alone 2 non-castle parks, but what the heck I'll take the innovators proposal. Congrats @pixie_princess ! And thank you to @kmbmw777 and @DisneyManOne for a super challenging round

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Okay, as promised let's get into some written reviews starting with our dearly departed @kmbmw777 and Glacier Bay. This project definitely had high peaks and low valleys, all in the same elements at times. First off, I think it was a mistake to use Guardians as the basis for a second project in a row. I know the whole park doesn't revolve around them but they're certainly at the forefront of the marketing. If their pressence had been toned down I can definitely imagine a scenario of you beating Pixie. I love the unified theme of this park in its expansive nature and ability to capture a bunch of different tones under one signature stylistic umbrella. Blizzard Beach was a nice touch, but having been to the actual park and seeing how well the world-building of that park comes together I'm not sure it would work all that well downsized and dropped within a larger overall "world".

Frozen is a natural inclusion here, but would it really only be a play area? I also feel like there were some missed opprotunities with some of the more naturalistic takes you could have done on this theme. Doing something with Alaska and the Northern Lights would have been spectacular. The alpine village was a step in the right direction in terms of mixing IPs with original Disney charm, but I simply don't think there was enough there. As noted in the video, it was very nice to see a website done for this even if it is just using the Google Doc template, so you got some bonus points for presentation there. Overall this is a very nice park and I think even if you used the same general IPs but reordered the priorities (never thought I'd want MORE Frozen than Guardians, but alas haha) you could have really been a contender. As it stands now it was still good enough to fool me into advancing you into the finals momentarily (thanks for being such a good sport about that ;) ) and serves as a very worthy final project for your 4th place finish in the season's overall rankings.

I'm struggling through a migraine to get these out, so if I stop rolling them out in a timely fashion it's just that the pain has gotten too overwhelming. Apologies in advance for the likely snails pace of the reviews haha.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Now let's move on to one of the most winning-est "losing" projects in the game history. Calling @DisneyManOne's Pirate's Cove a losing project at all is a bit of a slap in the face considering the platinum chunk of quality the proposal really is. As noted in the reveal show last night, the ONE thing that stopped DisneyMan dead in his tracks and shot him down in third place was the Goliath that was Disney Dad in the particular situation of coming back with a vengance after a technical glitch last project barely got him into this round. Disney Dad's project casts a big shadow, but Pirate's Cove stands up to it and almost edges out. This is truly the type of match-up I dreamed of when I went tournament style this season. While Season 17 will be a return to form for the team-based gameplay of Seasons 13 and 14, rest assured the Elite Eight format WILL return in the future, likely as soon as Season 18.

Breaking down what I love about the actual project...it's the scale and ambition that really sells this thing! This absolutely does what I wanted the namesake of the prompt to do...give a direct middle finger to Volcano Bay and say triumphantly "We Can Do Better" with all the cadence of a motivational poster. The live action RPG element you have in place here really makes the park pop, and the slides themselves stand above and beyond. I especially love the scary as heck take on a lazy river with the mermaids. That sounds like something that would definitely get my blood pumping as a thrill junkie considering a type of ride that's known for being serene and tranquil. Also major points for the Neverland Pool recreation. Words cannot describe the childhood attachment I have to that thing. Overall you did a stellar job of using base line water park elements and truly turning it into an experience. In spite of this technically being a "losing" project, it still stands as one of my favorites of the season and cements this as one of your greatest runs in your times playing the game!

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
And without further aideu, let's get into the final two and their winning projects. I'll give written reviews of both the semi-finals projects as well as a quick analysis of their gameplay as a whole and odds of winning going into the final project. Give it up for @pixie_princess and @Disney Dad 3000. As fate would have it this project and the final project has the Purist going up against the Innovator in a big way.

Starting with Disney Dad and his incredible Hyper Space Falls project. Of course we've all seen Star Wars projects before, so your competition in Disney Man definitely got the edge creativity-wise. However, I'll use my vanilla analogy once more. Star Wars might be a vanilla concept at this point, but this project is hand-churned, rich home-made french vanilla. In a season where presentation keeps pushing the envelope, this is perhaps the most impressive thing visually we've seen yet. The only thing I would have liked is the text on the pictures to be slightly bigger and easier to read, but that's a gripe so tiny it doesn't come close to affecting the perfect 10/10 presentation score.

You'll excuse me if I didn't at first grasp if this was supposed to be a Purist or an Innovator proposal, because it blends the concepts of the two prompts together in a really impressive way that blurred the line between the two. A natural fit for the winning project going into the final prompt. This definitely feels like more of a boutique park, but I say that as a compliment. It fits the bill of something that would be attached to a Star Wars resort and have guests staying there even more pumped about the idea of booking a room. Sorry to stay fixated on it, but Imagination Mountain still captures my, well...Imagination. As I said, the visual cues throughout the project go a long way towards enhancing it and making it stand out.

Now let's talk about Pix and her Art of Animation Park. This was certainly the most "Purist"-y of the proposals and the one true Purist project this round, so I love how fate works itself out that we've got the Purist vs. Innovator thing going on down to its rawest form. At its heart, this is a very simple project, but that's exactly what the prompt calls for and you executed it to a really good degree. While I would have liked to have seen a bit more than just rough concepts for each of the lands of the park, it is a very small and closed in park for good reason following the guidelines of what I was looking for, and you hit the nail on the head of coming up with something small enough to not draw huge crowds but cool enough to entice a stay at the resort even more than the value already offers.

Of course it's the family angle that was really cool to see in this project which elevated you to that infamous 9.5 and got you into the finals to begin with. Throughout my whole time hosting the game it's been my sincere pleasure to see people of all ages get into it and in some ways use it as an avenue for escapism and unleashing their creative potential. I mean, at the heart of it So, You Want to be an Imagineer has and always will be a creative writing comeptition more than anything else, so really all it comes down to is super fun extra credit homework in someways. To see not just Pix but her siblings embracing the game and coming up with the project together was something truly heartwarming and unique to my entire time as a host and makes the Oscar folly of last night worth it.

Naturally, as has been the case the entire season...Pix enters this round as an underdog. Disney Dad has managed time and time again to impress us. He's sat out a few rounds, but by that extent his username says it all. If Disney dad wins, he'll have the distinct honor of being the first parent to win So, You Want to be an Imagineer. If Pix wins, she'll have the honor of perhaps being the biggest underdog the game has ever seen and conquering more Goliaths than anyone else in the entire run of the competition. No matter who wins, this has been an unexpected final two regardless and two VERY deserving finalists. I absolutely cannot wait to see the results and I'd like to thank each and every one of you, from spectators to players for making this season truly blossom into one of my all time personal favorite experiences as a host! You all rock. :D

pixie_princess

And without further aideu, let's get into the final two and their winning projects. I'll give written reviews of both the semi-finals projects as well as a quick analysis of their gameplay as a whole and odds of winning going into the final project. Give it up for @pixie_princess and @Disney Dad 3000. As fate would have it this project and the final project has the Purist going up against the Innovator in a big way.

Starting with Disney Dad and his incredible Hyper Space Falls project. Of course we've all seen Star Wars projects before, so your competition in Disney Man definitely got the edge creativity-wise. However, I'll use my vanilla analogy once more. Star Wars might be a vanilla concept at this point, but this project is hand-churned, rich home-made french vanilla. In a season where presentation keeps pushing the envelope, this is perhaps the most impressive thing visually we've seen yet. The only thing I would have liked is the text on the pictures to be slightly bigger and easier to read, but that's a gripe so tiny it doesn't come close to affecting the perfect 10/10 presentation score.

You'll excuse me if I didn't at first grasp if this was supposed to be a Purist or an Innovator proposal, because it blends the concepts of the two prompts together in a really impressive way that blurred the line between the two. A natural fit for the winning project going into the final prompt. This definitely feels like more of a boutique park, but I say that as a compliment. It fits the bill of something that would be attached to a Star Wars resort and have guests staying there even more pumped about the idea of booking a room. Sorry to stay fixated on it, but Imagination Mountain still captures my, well...Imagination. As I said, the visual cues throughout the project go a long way towards enhancing it and making it stand out.

Now let's talk about Pix and her Art of Animation Park. This was certainly the most "Purist"-y of the proposals and the one true Purist project this round, so I love how fate works itself out that we've got the Purist vs. Innovator thing going on down to its rawest form. At its heart, this is a very simple project, but that's exactly what the prompt calls for and you executed it to a really good degree. While I would have liked to have seen a bit more than just rough concepts for each of the lands of the park, it is a very small and closed in park for good reason following the guidelines of what I was looking for, and you hit the nail on the head of coming up with something small enough to not draw huge crowds but cool enough to entice a stay at the resort even more than the value already offers.

Of course it's the family angle that was really cool to see in this project which elevated you to that infamous 9.5 and got you into the finals to begin with. Throughout my whole time hosting the game it's been my sincere pleasure to see people of all ages get into it and in some ways use it as an avenue for escapism and unleashing their creative potential. I mean, at the heart of it So, You Want to be an Imagineer has and always will be a creative writing comeptition more than anything else, so really all it comes down to is super fun extra credit homework in someways. To see not just Pix but her siblings embracing the game and coming up with the project together was something truly heartwarming and unique to my entire time as a host and makes the Oscar folly of last night worth it.

Naturally, as has been the case the entire season...Pix enters this round as an underdog. Disney Dad has managed time and time again to impress us. He's sat out a few rounds, but by that extent his username says it all. If Disney dad wins, he'll have the distinct honor of being the first parent to win So, You Want to be an Imagineer. If Pix wins, she'll have the honor of perhaps being the biggest underdog the game has ever seen and conquering more Goliaths than anyone else in the entire run of the competition. No matter who wins, this has been an unexpected final two regardless and two VERY deserving finalists. I absolutely cannot wait to see the results and I'd like to thank each and every one of you, from spectators to players for making this season truly blossom into one of my all time personal favorite experiences as a host! You all rock. :D

Thank you Tiki for all the kind words. To be honest, my family helps me every round. They ADORE this and love hearing what the new things are and even though I don't use many, everyone in my family throws out ideas when new prompts come out. My write up was rushed and not polished cause I ended up babysitting duty last minute and between homework, dinner, and chores them helping was the only was they stayed calm enough for me to finish in the first place. So these small humans are the winners this round.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
@TheOriginalTiki I am very very very interested to know what your headcannon is regarding my story arc! Please if you have the time and desire write my story as me I would adore that and probably print it out and hang it on my wall no lie.

Your "arc" probably contains the least amount of head cannon. You came in midway through, took advantage of the wild card position and have essentially become the big champion underdog of the Elite Eight. Really your accomplishments of beating Space and KMB speak for themselves and don't require me fictionalizing it, haha.

Disney Dad though...let me tell you just how much cold-blooded revenge was in his heart when he came up with his final four project :p ;)

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
-SYWTBAI Season 16 Recap for @Disney Dad 3000-

1521570024287.png

Disney Dad has been active since the very first round of the competition and has constantly impressed with amazing entries in nearly every round! If he wins, he will be the first parent to ever win SYWTBAI. Let's take a look at his projects this season!

----------

-Round One: So... Ya like Star Wars?!?! - Innovator-

1521570147933.png

Kashyyyk

A new land themed to the planet of the Wookies was proposed for Animal Kingdom. This land was truly innovative and unique. An exciting E-ticket would take guests to a previously unexplored section of the planet (The Shadowlands) expanding on the Star Wars mythos in an exciting and creative way. Unfortunately, timing issues resulted in the project not being 100% completed, but even unfinished it was a true stand out!

Tiki's Scores
Creativity:
9.5/10
Realism: 7.5/10

----------

-Round Two: Black Lights and Bus Bars - Purist-

1521570659989.png

Cinderella's Royal Carriage, Merlin's Magic Ride, and Mickey's Fairytale Ending

Disney Dad proposed a whole new set of opening day dark rides for Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom! A traditional book report style dark ride themed to Cinderella. A mad cap crazy adventure in the vein of Mr. Toad's themed to Merlin and the Sword in the Stone. And a whimsical suspended dark ride themed to Mickey Mouse in an adventure to save Minnie Mouse. Three fantastic rides that would have made a great line up for the Magic Kingdom!

Tiki's Scores
Creativity:
9/10
Detail: 10/10

----------

-Round Three: Virtually Magic Kingdom - Purist-

1521571280441.png

Tron: Escape the Grid

The sole team based project of the season saw Disney Dad's team create an interactive ride themed to the original Tron where guests would shoot targets to speed up their vehicles in a race to the finish! Unfortunately, Disney Dad spent much of this round sick with the flu and wasn't the most active. But he did make some important contributions to the team brainstorming!

Tiki's Scores
Creativity:
8/10
Detail: 10/10

----------

-Round Seven: New Frontiers - Innovators-

1521571666135.png

Wild Wagon Express

After missing a couple of rounds, Disney Dad came back with a vengence with an incredible and very detailed new attraction for Frontirland! Utilizing many truly innovative ideas and the wonderful ride system seen in Dinosaur/Indiana Jones, this attraction was, in my opinion, one of the most innovative in the whole season!

Tiki's Scores
Creativity:
10/10
Realism: 7/10

----------

-Round Nine: That's Entertainment - Innovators-

1521572655150.png

Tommy Two Taps and the Buena Vista Hotel & Spa

After some technical issues nearly caused Disney Dad to have to forfeit the round (which was the very first round of the Elite Eight), Disney Dad recovered with a last minute write up! Despite the technical issues and the rushed final product, the hotel and the performer both came across very nicely and earned Disney Dad his position in the final Four!

Tiki's Scores
Creativity: 9
/10
Realism: 10/10

----------

-Round Ten: Volcano who? - Innovators-

1521573275671.png

Hyperspace Falls

Disney Dad earned his place in the finals with an innovative Star Wars themed Water Park. While incredible enough already, what really set this project apart from the rest was the presentation! A truly fabulous write up, great visuals, and a creative use of photoshopped screenshots to create a very realistic Orlando Sentinel article on the project!

Tiki's Scores
Creativity:
8/10
Detail: 9.5/10
Realism: 9.5/10
Presentation: 10/10

----------

Now, heading into the final, @Disney Dad 3000 is tasked with creating not one, not three, but two new parks in a brand new international resort. Neither of which can be a traditional castle park. His choice of an innovators project for the final round makes sense considering he has done the innovators prompt on four out of the six projects he has completed this season.

Only one question remains, will he be able to win it all?​

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
-SYWTBAI Season 16 Recap for @pixie_princess-

1521574889142.png

Pixie Princess is a relative new comer to the boards. Before these games she had only ever done the one sentence competition. She joined the game rather late in the season. While she was at first hindered by her lack of experience, Pix grew at an incredible rate and quickly became talented enough to stand up among the best imagineers on the board. Even beating power houses to earn her way to the finals! An incredible under dog story and a great display of progress. If she wins the last round, it might be the greatest underdog story this game has ever seen. Let's take a look at her projects this season!

----------

-Round Six: The Simple Things - Purists-

1521575163414.png

The Purple Wall

Pix's first project was a short but sweet one. Taking the bizarrely popular (among locals at least) photo spot of the plain purple wall in Tomorrowland and making it something special. It has the distinction of being one of the few projects this season where, after it was posted, it was announced that a similar thing is actually happening at Disney. It's unknown right now what the enhancements are, but it is being enhanced.

Tiki's Scores
Creativity:
8/10
Realism: 10/10

----------

-Round Seven: New Frontiers - Innovators-

1521575640646.png

Rainbow Ridge Rapids

While still a bit light on detail, Pixie's second project was already a big improvement on her first. A clever rapids ride in Frontierland using some cleverly designed and likable original new characters, Haley and Olivia. Part of a new version of S.E.A. set in modern day, Pix seems to have loved working on these characters and returned to them for a future project as well as having a separate thread she made after this project to post future stories about them.

Tiki's Scores
Creativity:
10/10
Detail: 6/10
Total: 32/40

----------

-Round Eight: The Promise of Progress City - Innovators-

1521576010937.png

New Horizons: Space/Ocean

While perhaps a slight step back from her Frontierland project, Pix created a truly creative and unique update of the Horizons concept into a new interactive ride. It even evolves the two sides with two unique experiences concept from Mission Space with the option to explore either deep space or the deep ocean.

Tiki's Scores
Total:
30/40

----------

-Round Nine: That's Entertainment - Innovators-

1521576350672.png

Olivia and Haley and the S.E.A.S. Resort

Returning to her original characters from the Frontierland project and refining her update version of S.E.A., Pix created a new science themed resort right at the entrance to EPCOT. Done in the vein of the value resorts with each building themed to a different branch of scientific study and featuring a show in the bar hosted by Olivia, this resort was easily Pix's best yet and truly earned her place in the final four with its presentation that was just bursting with personality. Pix went from an inexperienced newcomer to winning against one of the most experienced and talented members on the board in her match up against Space. Truly an exciting underdog story.

Space's Scores (Tiki decided not to do numerical scores as Space and Pixie had such similar projects. But @spacemt354 provided his own reviews for this round, so I can include his score here)
Creativity:
10/10
Realism: 7.5/10
Presentation: 7.5/10

----------

-Round Ten: Volcano who? - Purists-

1521576895427.png

Art of Animation Resort Water Park

Pixie continued her strong streak with the sole purist project of the last round. Tying her water park to the Art of animation resort and themeing the simple park to the movies represented by the resort. Over all a simple project. Very well done, but the project itself may not be the most stand out. What really helped elevate it was the incredibly fun and unique presentation style. All the artwork for the project was drawn by Pixie's younger siblings resulting in a really special feeling projects. Plus, who doesn't love some adorable tiny human artwork. This project earned @kmbmw777 @pixie_princess her spot in the finals!

1521577182829.png

Tiki's Scores
Creativity:
8/10
Presentation: 9.5/10
Total: 33.5/40

----------

Now, heading into the final, @pixie_princess is tasked with creating the best ever castle park for a brand new international resort. This purist project will see Pixie putting a new spin on the well worn classic concept. With three of her previous five projects being innovators, this sixth and final round of her's for the season will result in Pixie being possibly the only contestant to have an exactly even number of purist and innovator projects.

Only one question remains, will she be able to win it all?​

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom