So What's The Mysterious "Third IP" Coming to DHS?

Goofyernmost

Yes, I understand what you are saying, but when we discuss "IP" based attractions around here it's generally understood that we are talking about attractions that are based on a pre-existing IP, like a book, movie or TV show, as opposed to Imagineerings being allowed to develop ideas and stories from scratch. Basing something on a pre-existing IP tends to tie your hands creatively to some extend, but developing and idea from scratch give you a much large canvas to work with.
I also understand what you all mean, and my opinion is that it is a homemade problem. Walt used other IP's almost constantly, he just put the Disney twist to them. He did do some originals as well, but, a lot were purchased rights. There is nothing wrong with using the ideas of others and then applying the Disney difference. I'll repeat my last couple of sentences.
If it's good and makes a good attraction, I don't give a rats behind who came up with it. It really doesn't matter at all. No corporation ever thought of anything by itself, it takes people and people can come from everywhere. That's how we get variety.
I have to wonder if we went back in time, what the ratio would be between 100% original ideas and borrowed base ideas with a Disney embellishment? I'm just saying that historically, there is no reason to have a concern. The difference now is that Disney has been buying the entire portfolio, instead of just paying for a concept.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I think there is VERY minimal chance Disney will create a new attraction anytime in the near future that isn't tied to an IP.

Are you referring to Disney in general or just the US parks? Grizzly Mountain and Mystic Manor in Hong Kong or Roaring Rapids in Shanghai are all great examples of recent, non-IP driven Disney creations. In particular, I thought Mystic Manor was a VERY solid new Disney creation and (if there was a logical place for it) I'd welcome a clone of it stateside.

dodgr98

In the Parks
No
fry-can-t-tell-meme-generator-can-t-tell-if-serious-or-trolling-on-a-whole-new-level-e76336.jpg
The ignore feature is your friend.

Voice of Disney sanity

Well I have to tell you, I've been hanging out here for years. I don't post that often because I don't have a lot to add. But you guys are professionals at this. This forum is the best I've seen at disseminating Disney world inside information. Bravo...bravo!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I have to wonder if we went back in time, what the ratio would be between 100% original ideas and borrowed base ideas with a Disney embellishment? I'm just saying that historically, there is no reason to have a concern. The difference now is that Disney has been buying the entire portfolio, instead of just paying for a concept.

We could look at Jungle Cruise, Pirates,Big Thunder, Space, Haunted Mansion, Grizzly, Mystic... themed without IP. And not exactly failures. Theme is the IP. Suggestion is the IP.

Its corporate synergy for cross market promotion that avoids it.

Goofyernmost

We could look at Jungle Cruise, Pirates,Big Thunder, Space, Haunted Mansion, Grizzly, Mystic... themed without IP. And not exactly failures. Theme is the IP. Suggestion is the IP.

Its corporate synergy for cross market promotion that avoids it.
I didn't mean to imply that those originals were failures. They were far from being failures, they are also not real current in when they were created. When you take into consideration that there are very few originals when the entire thing is looked at. Even if you say that those have shown up in other parks, wouldn't they then become a true IP, since they already exist. Even things like CoP, which we all agree is a Walt original, is really nothing more then a General Electric IP with a Disney story built around it.

My whole point is that there is nothing wrong with IP's and it is becoming pretty obvious that lately, if it weren't for the IP's there would be very little new happening and even those we have gotten recently, like Mermaid, 7DMT, Mission Space, Frozen are criticized to hell and back as being (to small), (not well themed) (in the wrong place) (done on the cheap) (take your pick or all of the above). It looks like it is the IP's that are going to rule the barn, so perhaps we should embrace them and stop trying to make a case that there is anything wrong with using properties that Disney owns. It's like saying that my car is junk because I bought it from another company instead of building it myself from scratch. Once it's mine, it's mine and it then needs to be judged on it's quality not it's origin.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
and it is becoming pretty obvious that lately, if it weren't for the IP's there would be very little new happening..

Not really. It would just mean the need for more creativity. Again, see Mystic Point and Grizzly.

IPs do fit - in the right place. I don't think anyone would say Mermaid - the IP - doesn't fit in FLE. Or even Seven Dwarfs. It's other documented reasons that there has been so much discussion about them.

There is no reason though why we should embrace thematic erosion. Quite the opposite.

Goofyernmost

Not really. It would just mean the need for more creativity. Again, see Mystic Point and Grizzly.

IPs do fit - in the right place. I don't think anyone would say Mermaid - the IP - doesn't fit in FLE. Or even Seven Dwarfs. It's other documented reasons that there has been so much discussion about them.

There is no reason though why we should embrace thematic erosion. Quite the opposite.
Well, Martin, if you continue to go and spend your money there for something that you allegedly do not embrace, the message is that you embrace it. We do not have any power individually to make those changes and when you consider the money that has already been spent for those alleged IP's they are here to stay, at least, for the foreseeable future, so I chose to enjoy what is there for what it is and not were the idea came from. It keeps me from growing ulcers. :) It boils down to one of my favorite answers when asked how I am! I'm better then nothing!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well, Martin, if you continue to go and spend your money there for something that you allegedly do not embrace, the message is that you embrace it. We do not have any power individually to make those changes and when you consider the money that has already been spent for those alleged IP's they are here to stay, at least, for the foreseeable future, so I chose to enjoy what is there for what it is and not were the idea came from. It keeps me from growing ulcers. :) It boils down to one of my favorite answers when asked how I am! I'm better then nothing!

I just don't spend as much money or time there as I used to.

Of the time I do spend there the majority is on the older attractions. We've done MILF once. That was enough. Dwarf coaster twice. That was enough. We didn't even do TSMM last year.

But SSE and HM get multiple rides each trip. For example.

Let me also add - as I have before - Frozen deserved a purpose built E ticket in an appropriate location. It got neither. I'm not opposed to the IP. Just the execution.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Are you referring to Disney in general or just the US parks? Grizzly Mountain and Mystic Manor in Hong Kong or Roaring Rapids in Shanghai are all great examples of recent, non-IP driven Disney creations. In particular, I thought Mystic Manor was a VERY solid new Disney creation and (if there was a logical place for it) I'd welcome a clone of it stateside.

I meant US parks.

Phroobar

Mystic Manor would be great as a Winchester mystery house for DCA's SF area.

MayorLionheart

I have a feeling a third land/ "IP" will be a villains inspired land. Studios has dabbled with Villains in the past, and most people who want a 5th gate want it to be a Villains Park (not gonna happen...). A Villains Land would make since. Either they start from scratch and invest, or retheme Sunset Blvd. (Fantasmic would fit in well, retheme Coaster, either keep or retheme TOT, and add a dark ride or M&G section).

DinoInstitute

We aren't even getting a phase 3 really. Its just an additional attraction and general updates around the park now.
I mean, isn't that better though? Or at least to me this phase three change was a positive. I think this way the park will be rounded out more and helped to be given a cohesive theme rather than just throwing full lands dedicated to a single IP (that will likely never be replaced, for that matter, if it's not popular) to try and hide the parks problems.

TheOrangeBird01

I have a feeling a third land/ "IP" will be a villains inspired land. Studios has dabbled with Villains in the past, and most people who want a 5th gate want it to be a Villains Park (not gonna happen...). A Villains Land would make since. Either they start from scratch and invest, or retheme Sunset Blvd. (Fantasmic would fit in well, retheme Coaster, either keep or retheme TOT, and add a dark ride or M&G section).

I could totally see something like that happening. Maybe replace the Beauty and the Beast theater with a Villains dark ride (if it would fit), retheme RnRC with a villains overlay and voilà, Villains land or whatever you want to call it is there!

Magenta Panther

I think this idea is brilliant, and therefore, won't happen. :(

DinoInstitute

Any chance the Disney-Pixar Short Film Festival in the Magic Eye Theater makes its way over to DHS? In a park that needs as many attractions as it can get, it seems like this show would be a perfect (and relatively cheap/easy) fit. I could see it working really well on either Hollywood/Sunset Blvd., or if they don't want to build a brand new theater, then maybe to replace Voyage of the Little Mermaid (though I have no idea what the heck the intended future of Animation Courtyard...).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Any chance the Disney-Pixar Short Film Festival in the Magic Eye Theater makes its way over to DHS? In a park that needs as many attractions as it can get, it seems like this show would be a perfect (and relatively cheap/easy) fit. I could see it working really well on either Hollywood/Sunset Blvd., or if they don't want to build a brand new theater, then maybe to replace Voyage of the Little Mermaid (though I have no idea what the heck the intended future of Animation Courtyard...).
Why replace? Mermaid still plays to packed houses.

Superstar Theatre? Sound Theatre (one advertisement for another)?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom