So What's The Mysterious "Third IP" Coming to DHS?

DinoInstitute

Why replace? Mermaid still plays to packed houses.
So does Stitch's Great Escape. Not that I think Little Mermaid is as bad, but IMO isn't really anything special at all, kind of getting old, plus feels like it's only telling half a story.

But yeah I see your point, honestly I don't care where it goes but I think it would be a good fit in that park.

DinoInstitute

The Short Film Festival isn't even good. I can watch those shorts on my computer whenever I want.
I think the first one in the show is good, the two Pixar ones not so much for that exact reason. But the first Disney one I think is nice as it's different than just the basic show and makes use of several 4D effects. I'd like to see the rest of it improved to the same level.

Goofyernmost

I just don't spend as much money or time there as I used to.

Of the time I do spend there the majority is on the older attractions. We've done MILF once. That was enough. Dwarf coaster twice. That was enough. We didn't even do TSMM last year.

But SSE and HM get multiple rides each trip. For example.

Let me also add - as I have before - Frozen deserved a purpose built E ticket in an appropriate location. It got neither. I'm not opposed to the IP. Just the execution.
Yes, Martin I know that and I also know that you may be spending time on the old rides instead of the new ones, so do I, but, it really doesn't matter. You pay one price for everything there and you are not the only one that goes there. If the others do not draw they will be eliminated, but, it doesn't appear that is happening. I understand that you and others, heck even me, the people that remember fondly our good old days, are swiftly becoming, if not already, the minority of guests at the parks. That isn't just because we are not happy with what the new stuff is or where it is located, it is because... well, honestly we are dying off or becoming physically unable to go to places that we did 20 or 30 years ago. What we enjoyed back then, is slowly, but, surely being replaced by what the current "young", for lack of a better word, guest is interested in and nostalgic about. We do not have a big enough number to make a difference if we complain all day long. It really isn't going to matter.

In the meantime, I am getting steadily older every single day and I can see a day, not that far away, when I cannot attend that place, with all it's flaws. I refuse to spend my time complaining about what is there because it doesn't conform with my tastes based on a feeling in my memory. I am going to try and adapt to enjoy what is there and what it can offer me in the form of entertainment. I don't care where it is, I don't care if it's shorter then I would like it to be, I don't even care if it is themed less then spectacularly. I do not have the power anymore to affect change. You don't really either because although your "tributes" are great, detailed and very informative, they are really very upbeat without that word even being used in any of them. You still are focusing on what was, history, it tells a nice story of times that seemed more detailed and wonderful, but, it only reflects what has changed not if it was better without having to read between the lines and most people aren't going to do that.

Look at the excitement generated by Star Wars alone. How can we be against an IP if it will stimulate the parks by appealing to those that are younger, or even the same age that we are. How can that be a bad thing no matter if George Lucas came up with it originally or Tony Baxter. It still is something that will be loved. Why is that bad? As long as the Disney Imagineers are able to build a story around that IP that is interesting and fun, why is that a problem? Where would Mary Poppins be without the original author. Where would it be if Walt hadn't been able to put his twist on an old idea that wasn't his and make it into the success it became. Why is that something to be considered a foolish move?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Look at the excitement generated by Star Wars alone. How can we be against an IP if it will stimulate the parks by appealing to those that are younger?

Like I said, correctly done IP integration works. I'm not saying it doesn't. You may have me confused with someone else.

By all means don't complain if you don't want to. But those that do are also right in voicing their opinion too.

Goofyernmost

Like I said, correctly done IP integration works. I'm not saying it doesn't. You may have me confused with someone else.

By all means don't complain if you don't want to. But those that do are also right in voicing their opinion too.
Of course they are, but, I can disagree as well and one of the things that I always try and do is explain my feelings, that is why I get a little to wordy sometimes, I apologize for that, but, I am a real believer in having all opinions out there. Of all the alleged and/or real, insiders we have you are the one that I think knows the most, but, you are also willing to see the other side and not start name calling if not everyone agrees. I do not keep track of who says what, I only respond to whatever an individual posts. Whether of not you think that you do not oppose the use of IP's it does come across that way in some of your posts. All I am doing is countering that thought with what I consider to be reality. For whatever that is worth.

brb1006

I have a feeling a third land/ "IP" will be a villains inspired land. Studios has dabbled with Villains in the past, and most people who want a 5th gate want it to be a Villains Park (not gonna happen...). A Villains Land would make since. Either they start from scratch and invest, or retheme Sunset Blvd. (Fantasmic would fit in well, retheme Coaster, either keep or retheme TOT, and add a dark ride or M&G section).
That would make the perfect park for the Halloween seasons and finding villains.

No Name

@Goofyernmost , you are getting at a good point that I like. At least I think you are. Every attraction has based itself on something that appeals to audiences. In a non-legal sense, every attraction is based on an IP. Mission Space takes advantage of people's curiosity and interest in space and Mars. And in the end, I wonder, what's more popular? Guardians of the Galaxy, or space? I think an even stronger argument could be made for yetis vs Avatar. Or dragons, unicorns, dinosaurs... anything vs. Avatar. What's more popular? What would be a bigger draw?

There are certain ones like Frozen and Star Wars where the IP is so strong that a comparison like that couldn't be made. But much of the time, I don't think the movie IP is any stronger than, for lack of better wording, a more generic idea.

But I think the real difference is that back then, Disney often ensured that the "IP" fit that part of the park. Location was the prime factor, then IP. So for example, they'd think "oh, we want to add a new ride in Frontierland. Lets come up with what we could do." And then Thunder or Splash Mountain was the result. Location came first.

Now, the IP has taken such a priority that it often comes before location. For example, they wanted to have a Frozen ride. Then they thought, where should we put it? Or they want a GotG ride. Recently they thought, where should we put it? The IP comes first.

And alas, I suppose that wouldn't be such a problem if they actually did choose the best location for said IP. But recently, that hasn't always been the case.

I could provide some exceptions to both of those, but to me, that seems to be the trend and a key difference between then and now.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom