So... What is for Dinner?..:)

Uponastar

I *love* gourmet foot!:lol:

This made me laugh especially because my grandmother used to make gourmet foot! Feet, actually!

Real traditional Polish "zimne nogi". It's made by boiling pork feet (which you can get really cheap at a butcher shop) then pulling the meat off the bone (like you do to make "pulled pork") and adding tons of spices (especially garlic) and cooking it some more, then chilling it in a gelatin (made from the water you boiled it in - as fatty as pork feet are, you may not even have to add gelatin - I can't remember - I helped her make it a few times, but I was pretty little).

Oh, how I miss Nana's zimne nogi! You can buy it in a polish butcher shop, but Nana made her own from scratch, and there was nothing like it!

My grandmom used to make that too! It was eaten cold (zimne), of course, since it's in gelatin (like an aspic) and it was served with a bit of vinegar poured over it. Definitely an acquired taste.
I haven't had that since Grandmom's been gone, but I still love a lot of Polish dishes. Cooking isn't really my thing, but I do make good golabki (stuffed cabbage). Grandmom made the best pierogi ever. I miss those.

MouseMadness

They should still turn even if they don't get all day sun, they just do much better if they do. I wouldn't give up yet a few really sunny days may still do the trick. I was convinced ours were not going to turn it had been so cloudy this year I usually always have my first tomatoes by July 4th but this year it was the first of August. I do have enough now to can so that is good and they are huge tomatoes because it did take so long to turn, even the Romas are way bigger than normal.
Good luck! :)

Today we are having Pork Chops, Macaroni, and more beans lol.. I love them!

Well, no harm in letting them sit out there the rest of the summer. :lol: Maybe I'll get a ripe one out of the bunch yet :hammer:

Now the basil beside them is just going crazy!

KingStefan

Well, no harm in letting them sit out there the rest of the summer. :lol: Maybe I'll get a ripe one out of the bunch yet :hammer:

Now the basil beside them is just going crazy!

You know, if you want to harvest a few of them early, you can always slice a green one, cover it with seasoned bread crumbs, and pan fry them! My dad used to do this when I was little. They're a bit bitter, but good if you use a little extra salt.

Phonedave

You wouldn't happen to be able to tell me why my tomatoes refuse to turn red, would you? :lookaroun

They grow and grow, but there are a couple on there that for weeks now have looked like they are big enough, but never turn red! I wonder if I didn't plant them in enough sun or something :shrug:

Not enought sun, too much rain. They will ripen eventualy.

Too much water is really bad, thats what causes them to split.

-dave

Phonedave

Ours turned a little late this year too. You need to plant them in direct bright all day sunlight but it has been so rainy and cloudy here that ours took forever to turn too. Now that they have I am loaded down with them so hopefully that will be the case for you too.

Lime is also great for your garden we do it before we plant and then a few times after. :wave:

Well, lime may be great for YOUR garden, but not for all.

Adding lime raises the pH of the soil - making it more alkaline. If you have acidic soil, or are rasing alkaline loving plants, then this is a good thing.

Tomatoes like a pretty much normal soil (pH 7) or maybe a little on the alkaline side. Many vegtable garden standards like alkaline soil -corn, bean, lettuces, carrot, cucumbers

Most fruits do better in slighty acidic soils.

The best thing to do contact your local state college agricultural extension and have a soil test done. Its not expensive. Rutgers charges about 10 bucks. You put your soil in a bag (they tell you how to sample) and what you are trying to grow (flowers, turf, vegatables, etc) and they will tell you what your soil analysis is, and what to add to make it ideal.

-dave

Phonedave

Tonight was bunge some stuff together night.

Regensburger Sausages with sauerkraut flavored with gin - hey I was out of juniper berries

Green beans - the measly handfull that the garden produced this season

Chopped tomatoes with English Sage Derby cheese I had laying around. Some salt, pepper, balsamic, and oil. Sort of like a tomato cheese salad/compote thing.

-dave

DisneyGigi

Well, lime may be great for YOUR garden, but not for all.

Adding lime raises the pH of the soil - making it more alkaline. If you have acidic soil, or are rasing alkaline loving plants, then this is a good thing.

Tomatoes like a pretty much normal soil (pH 7) or maybe a little on the alkaline side. Many vegtable garden standards like alkaline soil -corn, bean, lettuces, carrot, cucumbers

Most fruits do better in slighty acidic soils.

The best thing to do contact your local state college agricultural extension and have a soil test done. Its not expensive. Rutgers charges about 10 bucks. You put your soil in a bag (they tell you how to sample) and what you are trying to grow (flowers, turf, vegatables, etc) and they will tell you what your soil analysis is, and what to add to make it ideal.

-dave

The soil here seems to need the lime. We have lived in the 3 different places in the area over the years and each time have had to use the lime, it also helps prevent blossom rot. Last year we did not use it and lost the entire first batch of tomatoes almost. After we added it to the soil the reamining tomatoes were fine after that. My garden does love it..lol I have more beans this year than I have ever had and tomatoes too now that they are ripe.

Oh and you mentioned the splits in the tomatoes that can also be from growing so large in between vines if you are growing heirloom tomatoes because they grow in such weird shapes the pressure of the way they are growing on the vine caues them to split. It is a total pain in the rear that they do that but they taste a kazillion times better. A Black Cherokee cannot be beat in flavor. :)

edit oops forgot the dinner part.....

Hamburgers & fries here tonight we are painting again. Ugh!

Auroragirl

Grilled Chicken :slurp:
Grilled Corn on the Cob :slurp:
Green Beans :slurp:
Arroz con Gandules (spanish rice dish: rice w/ chick peas) :slurp:

YUM!!!!:D

Tater48

Tonight it's going to be BBQ from Spring Creek Barbecue. Mmmmmm...brisket, chicken, turkey, sausage, potato salad, beans....and fresh made bread...:slurp::slurp:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom