So what changes will we see at DHS GE based on DL GE?

gerarar

Premium Member
I posted this in the main thread, but just to put it here as well, here's a comparison of the marketplace seating thingy.
DHS on left, DL on right;

TP2000

Is there any reason to believe that they ACTUALLY have droids "ready to go"?

Exactly. They don't have droids ready to go. They may not even have droids in active development. o_O

Another website has several Disneyland CM's posting about all the stuff that Mr. Chapek cut from the Star Wars Land budget over the last several years, and the droids were one of those cuts. According to the Disneyland CM's the droids were designed to be operated by CM's classified as "puppeteers" and they get a higher pay rate, so Mr. Chapek cut them out several years ago to save on labor costs.

Those Disneyland CM's dished a lot of other dirt on stuff Mr. Chapek cut from the budget and how little respect he gets from Disneyland management, but suffice it to say the cutting out of the droids was just one of Mr. Chapek's dastardly deeds.

The whole line of thinking that there are interactive droids sitting somewhere on a shelf ready to be deployed into the land "when crowds die down" is a crock. The crowds never showed up in Disneyland, and they could use all the PR help they can get. The preview crowds this week at DHS are very light and controlled. And there is not a single droid in sight on either coast.

Plenty of room for some droids in these light preview crowds at DHS!

EA6ulsyVUAAntb-

But there are no droids in DHS because the droids don't actually exist, and they are certainly not "ready to go" waiting for some mythical crowd level. The video we've seen today of the first DHS preview shows that it's operating exactly like the Disneyland version; aesthetically impressive, but silent and dead and lifeless. No music. No droids. Just a lot of snack bar CM's yelling "Bright Suns!" at you. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

J. D.

Ok, one more time. At the studios, they have had R2 units for many years doing meet and greets. They can very easily move them to GE.
R2-D2 would meet occasionly during SW Weekends. All the other R2 units have only been out during Galactic Nights events and they were provided by a Droid Building fan community, kind of like how the 501st used to participate in SW Weekends.

Last edited:

TP2000

R2 would meet occasionly during SW Weekends. All the other R2 units have only been out during Galactic Nights events and they were provided by a Droid Building fan community, kind of like how the 501st used to participate in SW Weekends.

Ohhh! I got it. So there's no R2D2 meet n' greet in DHS Star Wars Land, nor is R2D2 roaming around the DHS land. 🧐

Any word that the DHS version has improved on Disneyland's underwhelming entertainment lineup will be welcome.

I must say, all the adorable DHS snack bar and shopclerk CM's yelling Bright Suns! at everyone as they walked in gave me a good chuckle. Who needs professional entertainment when you've got snack bar hostesses yelling Bright Suns! every two minutes? :cool:

Last edited:

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Ohhh! I got it. So there's no R2D2 meet n' greet in DHS Star Wars Land, nor is R2D2 roaming around the DHS land. 🧐

Any word that the DHS version has improved on Disneyland's underwhelming entertainment lineup will be welcome.

I must say, all the adorable DHS snack bar and shopclerk CM's yelling Bright Suns! at everyone as they walked in gave me a good chuckle. Who needs professional entertainment when you've got snack bar hostesses yelling Bright Suns! every two minutes? :cool:
Here .... Have at it.

38C01CD9-26A7-4ADE-B819-242E5D155466.jpeg

britain

As far as my kids were concerned, this counted as an R2 meet n greet. Even better, it wasn’t advertised as one.

Attachments

• FB531831-5FA4-4400-9773-5BEFA8CA522F.jpeg
    FB531831-5FA4-4400-9773-5BEFA8CA522F.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 138

TrojanUSC

I'm about 100% certan that it will open in WDW the same way it opened in DL. Disney messed up royally by opening the California location first. It might be the happiest place on earth, but DL is still a regional/commuter park. There are a significant number of AP holders who go to the park regularly. By locking them out, they cut their potential audience. Same goes with Cast Members. WDW doesn't have that as a vacation destination. They'll get the crowds they anticipated in California with the same rollout plan. Yes, they may make some slight adjustments after lessons learned at DL, but I doubt we will see any significant additions in terms of live actors or droids.

Sort of. Disneyland is a commuter park, but this is part of the reason it was believed it would be a better opening. They're going for young adults with this land and Southern California is a massive metropolitan area, with tens of millions of people. The hope was the place would be over-run with Star Wars fans dying to see the new land, many of whom never would have considered a trip to Disneyland otherwise or those who visit every few years.

Alas, the opening was a dud. It underwhelmed expectations by nearly every metric, which is why you saw Disney making quiet moves to compensate for this. During the initial reservations window, when only 40% of people with reservations were showing up they told Guest Relations to offer admission to anybody that had a service issue in the park, then they sent emails for people who had reservations to bring extra guests with them. The hope was that the issues would self-correct when the land went "public" at the end of June. They spent millions on a virtual queue system which was used for two hours for exactly one day. Then, they quietly unblocked cast members and offered APs the chance to bring friends in at a steeply discounted price.

At WDW, they assumed people would come but not on the same scale as at DL. It will certainly redirect crowds to DHS, that's for sure. Heck you can even see the fear there as they have been adding solid AP hotel discounts even during the "opening month." I don't think anybody is happy to be doing that.

solidyne

Is that a bowl of corn flakes? What's the significance there? (Full Disclosure: I can be dense sometimes)
You're not the only one. I've been searching my brain for Corn Flakes idioms or clichés (and Google for cereal memes). I think if this witty reply had quoted just one of your paragraphs, not your entire post, our job would be easier.

I'm trying to decide if the emphasis is on corn (as in corny) or flakes (as in snowflake). Perhaps these are Frosted Flakes. I can't tell.

drod1985

Here's a recap of the new booze at DHS, per Disney World's website menus.
  • Docking Bay 7
    • Takodana Quencher - $15
      Bacardi Dragon Berry Rum, Blue Curaçao, Simple Orange with Pineapple, Kiwi
    • Gold Squadron Lager - Blue Point Brewing Co. - $13.25
      16 oz draft - Golden Lager with Lavender and Plum flavors
  • Ronto Roasters
    • Coruscant Cooler - $15
      Maker's Mark Bourbon, Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur, Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth, Cranberry, Lime Juice
    • Trandoshan Ale - Concrete Beach Brewery - $13
      16 oz draft Spiced Wheat Ale
  • Milk Stand
    • Blue Milk Cooler - $14
      Plant-based Dairy blend of Coconut and Rice Milk with alluring fruity characteristics featuring Bacardi Rum
    • Green Milk Cooler - $14
      Plant-based Dairy blend of Coconut and Rice Milk with zippy Citrus and tropical characteristics featuring Corazon Blanco Tequila

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom