So is the Hyperion Wharf project dead?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Ok first off this thread is hillarious.

Next I can understand the argument of the rowdiness of the visitors to the clubs. However, Disney had to understand what they were getting into with this idea. It is true the times have changed since 1989 but still they had to believe that people who visit clubs aren't always going to be nice and perfect and calm. They should have also planned for the future of the island. I know no one could predict this economic climate (well some of us could have) but Disney should of had a backup plan.

There a lot of problems in this "world." From the dismal state of PI to that horrid Flamingo's Crossing idea. Don't gete started on that darn 1,000 acres they sold off for a hotel that's not theirs.

Any "Rowdiness" of the clubs was CAUSED by Disney when they quit charging an admission into Pleasure Island.

Mouse Detective

I agree that this is the problem with Flamingo crossings. Location is key, and that area sees no traffic. People would have to go there really for the purpose of those hotels, restaurants, and shops.

Even a hotel chain that offers relatively low rates (Holiday Inn Express, Motel 6, Fairfield Inn, etc) would have to charge rates above $100/night in order to recover the costs of brand new construction. As long as Disney offers rooms "on property" at rates well-below that, no one is going to consider building out there.

Plowboy

That is only part of the 7 P principle

p*ss poor planning

promotes

p*ss poor performance

I learned it as "Prior planning prevents p*ss poor performance", never the less I understand where you are coming from and accept your variation.

The bottom line is Disney has done a very poor job with PI the last several years and now we as visitors/stock holders are suffering the aftermath.

Plutoguy

Every one rants only on this thread about PI and how great it was. Honestly PI was not so great and was more trouble to all than good. Drunken stoopers witnessed while walk through on a yearly basis and local yocals trying to pick up vacationers. Not to metion some of the people on the bus completely wrecked coming home from PI. The clubs being shut down and replaced is the best thing that could have happened. I hope Hyperion Wharf happens and completes the rest of DTD.

captainkidd

Every one rants only on this thread about PI and how great it was. Honestly PI was not so great and was more trouble to all than good. Drunken stoopers witnessed while walk through on a yearly basis and local yocals trying to pick up vacationers. Not to metion some of the people on the bus completely wrecked coming home from PI. The clubs being shut down and replaced is the best thing that could have happened. I hope Hyperion Wharf happens and completes the rest of DTD.

I tend to agree. I was never a huge fan of the clubs myself, but I'm not a club person. On the other hand, it gave the atmosphere a cool vibe, that is now obsolete. Sadly, that has fallen over to the West Side now as well. The only neat shop left is Magic Masters. The Marketplace is great as is. I think they should just open a bunch of themed restaurants at Pleasure Island. It's easy, safe, and would give people more dining options.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Have the clubs been replaced? Am I missing something? Or are there still abandoned buildings littering PI?

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
In all the countless trips I made to WDW when PI was opened my wife and I went once. I for one do not miss PI at all and I think that the night clubs did not appeal to the average WDW guest. The mix to local kids wanting a night on the town and the out of town adults wanting a drink and a meal after a day in the parks did not mix well.

But HW seems to be like every other project now underway at WDW - big public event to get things started - do a little - change the plans again - do a little - change the plans again - take forever getting it done.

Plowboy

We made it a point to go every trip. We'd go to the Comedy Warehouse and then "across the street" to the Adventurer's Club. Had a few drinks, laughed til our sides hurt :)ROFLOL:) and usually stayed til closing.

I do agree about the "hurry up and wait" thing regarding development.

slappy magoo

Seems like WDW ended PI much for the same reason they'll eventually abandon Disneyquest. Both of them are moneymakers, but not at the sort of profit margins they'd prefer, especially when they realized how often they would have to renovate or re-innovate or re-theme to keep it current. The philosophy seemed to be, let someone else take those risks while we reap the rewards, assuming retail or restaurant space at WDW would always be in demand. I think that's a decision, to a degree, they now regret.

I'm not much of a nightclub guy, and with kids now, going to PI, were it back, would be a moot point for me. But I did enjoy CW and AC quite a bit, and I'd usually step into 8-Trax and RnRBC for at least a little while. I can't honestly think of a way to unscrew that pooch.

For me Disney's biggest issue when it comes to non-theme-park related entertainment is their mixed messaging. You can even hear it, to a degree, if you dare tune in to Disney Radio or watch their programming on The Disney Channel. Everything is OFF THE HOOK! OUT OF CONTROL! LIKE THE FUNNEST THING EVAH!!! Except it's all meticulously controlled assembly-line-created fun for a premium price. They want things to be loud and crazy and fun, but also orderly and controlled. They want to provide a location for people to be impressed and wowed enough to open their wallet and spend more money, but they don't want to do the wow-ing.

Honestly, were it not for the fact that it would cannibalize another WDW location even more, I'd say the ideal solution would be to set up DTD like a Boardwalk district, with games of chance and skee-ball and Disneyfied carny rides (using the old ABCDE-ticket method of riding to keep admission to the area free), interspersed with restaurants and shops and lower-key nightclubs geared more towards comedy and the less-rowdy music genres (lounge, jazz, etc) as well as an all-ages venue or ampitheater for "concerts in the park" style entertainment.

TomHendricks

I was never a huge PI fan, I'd like to go once in a while but beyond that no so much. Am I sad that PI is gone, no. However I dont understand why they couldn't keep one club. I personally think one club, re-themed to fit in with HW would have worked at well. Maybe have it be a restaurant/bar until 11pm, then switch over to being a club. You would get a lot more use out of it.

slappy magoo

I was never a huge PI fan, I'd like to go once in a while but beyond that no so much. Am I sad that PI is gone, no. However I dont understand why they couldn't keep one club. I personally think one club, re-themed to fit in with HW would have worked at well. Maybe have it be a restaurant/bar until 11pm, then switch over to being a club. You would get a lot more use out of it.

I guess the question would be, what kind of club would it be? One of the marketing advantages to PI was that for one price, you had access to all these different clubs, dancing or entertainment, via DJ in some clubs and bands in another, to accommodate as many tastes as possible. This also allowed WDW the option to change the themes of certain clubs if demand for one genre rose while another genre ebbed. But to have just one club? That means a whole lot of tastes would be excluded, and of course it would be a non-family friendly area surrounded by non-non-family friendly areas, meaning people will be trying to tank up and get their swerve on in front of children, puking in front of families. They have a place for that kind of behavior, it's known as a "wedding reception." :D

I know people have talked (wished, really) that Adventurer's Club might be resurrected as some sort of dinner theater experience, ala Hoop De Do Revue. I honestly think dinner theaters would be a very good use of some of the real estate there. There is a market for that sort of thing throughout Orlando, especially since, with vacation time often so limited, the idea of having a dinner theater with two shows a night (perhaps a more family friendly one earlier in the evening) would have a decent shot. They could even have rotating types of shows, whether they're whodunits or old school vaudeville type shows. But of course, that would involve effort on WDW's part. So...yeah, good luck with that.

Captain Neo

They scraped hyperion wharf and are now deciding wether to use the land to build a fifth theme park or more timeshares. Guess which ones gonna win?

im j/k

71jason

I know people have talked (wished, really) that Adventurer's Club might be resurrected as some sort of dinner theater experience, ala Hoop De Do Revue. I honestly think dinner theaters would be a very good use of some of the real estate there. There is a market for that sort of thing throughout Orlando, especially since, with vacation time often so limited, the idea of having a dinner theater with two shows a night (perhaps a more family friendly one earlier in the evening) would have a decent shot. They could even have rotating types of shows, whether they're whodunits or old school vaudeville type shows. But of course, that would involve effort on WDW's part. So...yeah, good luck with that.

Unless you're getting like $200 a ticket, a dinner show will never work. Rent is a cool mil a year PLUS a third of the gross. There's a reason Raglan and T-Rex are the size of a supermarket--lots of guests, lots of turnover.

That's why the idea of stores going in there was always laughable. Outside of car dealerships, what merchandise can you push to cover margins like that?

flavious27

They scraped hyperion wharf and are now deciding wether to use the land to build a fifth theme park or more timeshares. Guess which ones gonna win?

im j/k

lol, nothing wrong with a waterside village in between two shopping areas. Just don't say it too loud because they might just do it.

MAF

Another project that JT claimed was 100% going to happen without a shadow of a doubt. :lol: Where has he been lately anyhow? Did the mods finally kick him to the curb?

flavious27

Unless you're getting like $200 a ticket, a dinner show will never work. Rent is a cool mil a year PLUS a third of the gross. There's a reason Raglan and T-Rex are the size of a supermarket--lots of guests, lots of turnover.

That's why the idea of stores going in there was always laughable. Outside of car dealerships, what merchandise can you push to cover margins like that?

Well if disney runs the shows, they don't pay rent to themselves. The AC is not setup to be run as a dinner show, so it would be hard for them to pull something like that off with the current building. I have thought that having an AC in the JC's temple would work out, and with a blank slate they could have that building as a combination dinner show / bar.

I guess folk need reminding that it was announced this project would take at least a few years. It is somewhat comparable to the time it is taking to redo DCA. There are just a lot of logistical issues when repurposing/reimagining/refurbishing etc, an area still accessable by the general public. Add in the added disadvantage of working with third parties (something they essentially don't have to deal with at DCA) and it is obvious this is no simple task they have undertaken.

OK, you all can resume your food fight now. :wave:

True, but did disney just keep announcing plans over and over again for dca and then stall on it? It is one thing to announce what you want to do and take a little bit of time to work out the contracts. It is another to announce plans, close down the existing attractions, wait, then announce more definitive plans, demo some of the closed attractions, wait, then make another announcement about what the news plans are. That path of actions reminds me of all of the failed proposals along the waterfront in philly.

Anyone think this is related to the perpetual delay in developing the Western Way "Flamingo Crossing" project? Perhaps there are not enough sponsors/companies willing to invest?? Both projects currently seem to be weed farms at the present.

Things that make you go hmmmmm...

I don't really think so. Both projects have different goals and different vendors that would be involved. Disney wants DTD to have unique shops and restaurants that aren't in every mall and or strip mall. FC would be just a nicer strip mall.

Wondering which is worse.
1. Flamingo Crossings idea
or

2. Close PI and try to get 3rd party's to pay for "Bold" new vision (Hyperion Wharf)

Well what option closed an unique part of wdw? fc isn't what people associate with disney and their quality. I think that they could do much more there. I threw out the idea on another thread about disney building an adults only resort out that way, it makes sense and would be where a new PI could be built.

Any "Rowdiness" of the clubs was CAUSED by Disney when they quit charging an admission into Pleasure Island.

popcorn, I need lots of popcorn. I believe the same thing, open gates had minors and the barely legal locals filling the island. PI was suppose to be for guests, adult guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom