So is the Hyperion Wharf project dead?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Here is what I think would go over big in the area that was PI. A Boardway type show that brings many of the traveling Disney shows to WDW. I know I would go every time there was a new show.

I also agree that Disney needs another dinner show. Love HDDR, but would be nice to have something new.

There are three dinner shows (at least) - HDDR, the Luau, and Mickey's Backyard BBQ. Not that I'm saying we're oversaturated with diner shows, but HDDR isn't the only one.

menamechris

No, but I don't like the rule that children under 10 aren't allowed. I can't imagine anyone WANTING to bring their kids there, but if they did, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to do so.

I think the majority of parents understand why they can't take their 4 year old to a Five Diamond restaurant. The same as I think the majority of parents would be smart enough to have their young children in bed at midnight as opposed to trying to get them into a bar or club at Downtown Disney.

wizards8507

I think the majority of parents understand why they can't take their 4 year old to a Five Diamond restaurant. The same as I think the majority of parents would be smart enough to have their young children in bed at midnight as opposed to trying to get them into a bar or club at Downtown Disney.

Haha well I certainly agree with you in principle. I guess I just don't have as much faith as you do in the parents of the world. There's a big stretch from "reasonable parent" to "average parent," and an even bigger stretch to "every parent."

menamechris

Haha well I certainly agree with you in principle. I guess I just don't have as much faith as you do in the parents of the world. There's a big stretch from "reasonable parent" to "average parent," and an even bigger stretch to "every parent."

Well, call me selfish, but I personally don't want Disney running the resort trying to help parents parent their children. There needs to (and should be at a resort of its size) a balance of entertainment and activities for all types of guests. Whether PI was your cup of tea or not, its absence leaves a void at the resort for anyone who's bedtime isnt 10:00.

devoy1701

wow, a thread talking about alcohol, clubs, what Walt would do, and what should and shouldn't be allowed in WDW...didn't we just have one of these?

I can't imagine in "Walt's mission/vision for WDW" (which was that of a city) that there was no plans to have bars/night clubs, adult life. Especially from a guy who enjoyed vaudeville type shows at like 14 and a glass of scotch at the end of every work day.

whoops.

CJR

I really have no clue, but my guess is that the halt could be related to Harley-Davidson moving to West Side. I'm not sure why construction would stop over that though. That's the only guess I have if the project's still on.

flavious27

It isn't difficult to figure out IMO. Disney wants out of the modern club business because it does not reflect the traditional values of the company and is not a net plus for the company. What small profit it made was lost with every negative story that generated bad publicity for the company.

Disney wants a thriving entertainment scene close by because tourists coming to Orlando for that will also likely visit WDW. There was a time when it made since for WDW to compete directly with offerings such as Church Street Station. That was then. Now it makes more since if central Florida has a strong draw for younger demographics. Orlando can possibly provide that.

The SavePI blog is starting to understand this I think and has commented how downtown Orlando is really starting to improve in the area of nightly entertainment. With the new arena and other facilities opening soon that just makes sense. This is all my opinion but I think in a couple years PI would not have been able to compete with Orlando's clubs anyway. This way everyone wins. Simple as that.

Orlando is a draw for gen y? younger guests that club are not going to be going to wdw, they are going to a place on either coast.

PI was never really part of the modern club scene because its demos were different. As for the profit margins, they made more when they sold passes instead of keeping the gates open. The only bad PR that disney has gotten from PI is from opening the gates and closing down the island.

No, but I don't like the rule that children under 10 aren't allowed. I can't imagine anyone WANTING to bring their kids there, but if they did, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to do so.

Because it was not designed for kids, it was a place for adults only. It is the same as Serenity Bay.

71jason

With the artwork down and Apricot Lane opening where there was clearly supposed to be a restaurant (remember Zach Divine's?), I'm calling Hyperion Wharf. DOA.

menamechris

To answer the thread question. Not only do I think HW is dead, I think everyone has had a turn kicking the dead horse. Thankfully for them, the rest of the world has probably already forgotten about it.

JustInTime

Ok. So we know that the chances of the Clubs opening back up are slim. That leaves the options of what can go in the old Pleasure Island area pretty scarce. I think it's clear what Disney is looking to do here. They wanted to put more shopping and dinning covered in a beautiful Warf theme. Now, I know the loss of the clubs were hard to swallow. But the way it's looking now is this: we are still losing the clubs. Only now, because everyone hated the Hyperion Warf idea, that is scrapped too. My guess is now that everyone has complained about the themeing that we were getting, TDO is scrapping all the $$$ they were going to spend on themeing the area and are just going to allow standard stores to build in that location. They could care less if we want our clubs back. But if the fans hate all the themeing, then why do it? Cutting the Hyperon there will save million. Fans will still complain either way and they are still getting what they want. In TDO's eyes it's a win/win. When a project gets approved and fans complain, it's TDO's way to justify spending money. This is just speculation on my part. But If we do get a bland strip mall we only have ourselves to blame.

Wilt Dasney

Only now, because everyone hated the Hyperion Warf idea, that is scrapped too. My guess is now that everyone has complained about the themeing that we were getting, TDO is scrapping all the $$$ they were going to spend on themeing the area and are just going to allow standard stores to build in that location.

I hope this isn't true. If online fans can't persuade them to bring back the clubs because we're all "a bunch of whiny fanboys" and don't represent the average guest (as I see expressed so often), it would be pretty cynical for them to trash an effort to re-theme a new area because of complaints from those same online fans. :0/

JustInTime

I hope this isn't true. If online fans can't persuade them to bring back the clubs because we're all "a bunch of whiny fanboys" and don't represent the average guest (as I see expressed so often), it would be pretty cynical for them to trash an effort to re-theme a new area because of complaints from those same online fans. :0/

Well, look at it as bringing the Clubs back as a non-option in TDO's eyes. For them it's not even on the table. They are gone and not a thing we can do about it. If you look at it that way, cutting the theme because of complaints would be easy. For TDO it's a lose/lose and win/win. And they actually use this sentiment all the time for budget cuts. They have already gutted the clubs and the decision has been made to bring in more retail and dinning. The fans are going to be ed either way. So why spend an extra million or two when the average guest could care less about the themeing of a shopping mall? I hate that more people didn't support the Hyperion Warf idea. i understand that the idea of losing Club to shopping is a hard loss. But now it very well may be worse off than we started.

lebeau

Well, look at it as bringing the Clubs back as a non-option in TDO's eyes. For them it's not even on the table. They are gone and not a thing we can do about it. If you look at it that way, cutting the theme because of complaints would be easy. For TDO is a lose/lose and win/win. They have already gutted the clubs and the decision has been made to bring in more retail and dinning. The fans are going to be ed either way. So why spend an extra million or two when the average guest could care less about the themeing of a shopping mall? I hate that more people didn't support the Hyperion Warf idea. i understand that the idea of losing Club to shopping is a hard loss. But now it very well may be worse off than we started.

Do I beleive that Disney finally decided to listen to the fans in order to cut the budget? Or do I believe that Disney cheaped out - again?

Hmmmm. Which of these is more likely. Let me think...

JustInTime

Do I beleive that Disney finally decided to listen to the fans in order to cut the budget? Or do I believe that Disney cheaped out - again?

Hmmmm. Which of these is more likely. Let me think...

They cheaped out (again) and used fanboys (again) to justify the cuts.

lebeau

They cheaped out (again) and used fanboys (again) to justify the cuts.

Justify it to whom? Not us. They don't care what we think. To the shareholders? Nope. The shareholders don't care what we think either.

I think it's more likely potential renters would only come in at a lower price than what Disney was asking for so they cut the budget.

JustInTime

Justify it to whom? Not us. They don't care what we think. To the shareholders? Nope. The shareholders don't care what we think either.

I think it's more likely potential renters would only come in at a lower price than what Disney was asking for so they cut the budget.

They quite often refer to fans opinions on future projects. Which is why they send frequent quests surveys. Another example is the Fantasyland changes. So they may not "care" about us the way Mommy does, but they certainly snoop around fan forums and ask guests opinions. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom