So is the Hyperion Wharf project dead?

71jason

Theres no way Disney is reopening the clubs as clubs again. I would figure they are going in and doing demo work on what needs to be removed in order to turn these buildings into things other than night clubs.

While I agree with your first point, I don't see any feasible use for these buildings other than nightclubs. This could be preparing them for third parties to use as nightclubs, or preparing them for demolition. Or maybe it's a general refurb to make the empty shells look pretty.

It doesn't have to be called 'Pleasure Island'. It just has to have the AC.

I'm a bigger AdvClub fanboi than just about anyone, but I still don't see it surviving, let alone thriving, as a stand-alone venue. Capacity would be too limited, and the humor was dependent on a steady stream of tipsy tourists wandering in with no idea what they were getting into. Babylonia or the Mask Room just aren't as funny with a fanboi-only crowd (observe the final weeks of the Club, where all the jokes became self-referential).

Also, you can't call yourself a "resort" if you don't offer nighttime dancing somewhere on property. And Club 626 doesn't count.

juniorthomas

Disney no doubt had to sign off on it but I doubt it was Disney's idea to add dine-in theaters to AMC. That would have been AMC's idea to improve their facility.

But the name change, from Pleasure Island 24 to Downtown Disney 24, surely THAT was Disney's idea. Disney probably paid the expenses for the change too.

Yeah they'd have to. After killing off the PI brand, it would be a mega fail to keep that property around. Downtown Disney is the better choice, branding wise.

Kamikaze

I'm a bigger AdvClub fanboi than just about anyone, but I still don't see it surviving, let alone thriving, as a stand-alone venue. Capacity would be too limited, and the humor was dependent on a steady stream of tipsy tourists wandering in with no idea what they were getting into. Babylonia or the Mask Room just aren't as funny with a fanboi-only crowd (observe the final weeks of the Club, where all the jokes became self-referential).

Also, you can't call yourself a "resort" if you don't offer nighttime dancing somewhere on property. And Club 626 doesn't count.

Who said anything about 'stand alone'. I would envision other things opening, other clubs, etc. Just it not being called 'Pleasure Island'. Thats all I said.

Also, Atlantic Dance Hall has dancing. On property.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
This is what King Bob had to say about the permits being filed for the clubs:

"Disney is going to refurbish the buildings. Disney is then going to rent them out. The information given to us is that third-parties leasing the buildings COULD reopen them as clubs. The clubs could be similar to what was there before but they would have to be different too. (new names, new themes?) This followed 3 years of the buildings being offered for lease as restaurants and stores and NO ONE doing so. So this is a plausible rumor. Time will tell."

njDizFan

Wow, this is such a mess. Same clubs new themes? And what about the HP section with the lights and ampitheater?

Steve was pretty positive about the progress, if you are out there any any updates?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Same clubs new themes is a very poor ending for this story. While I am squarely in the corner of bringing back nightlife options at DTD, I do not want to see 4 Dance clubs pop back up. TDO seems completely lost here.

Mouse Detective

This is what King Bob had to say about the permits being filed for the clubs:"Disney is going to refurbish the buildings. Disney is then going to rent them out. The information given to us is that third-parties leasing the buildings COULD reopen them as clubs. The clubs could be similar to what was there before but they would have to be different too. (new names, new themes?) This followed 3 years of the buildings being offered for lease as restaurants and stores and NO ONE doing so. So this is a plausible rumor. Time will tell."

He doesn't know either, that's just what one of his sources told him.

markc

Pretending that any changes that happened before the clubs closed had nothing to do with the reimagining of DTD is hopelessly naive. That is if you actually believe that and are not just spinning as you so obviously are with the remainder of your post.

This wasn't even a good effort on your part. Some of you obviously are writing before receiving your official talking points. At this rate Lee will have to chime in hisownself. :lol:

Are you really that dumb, or is this an act?

Those changes happened WAY BEFORE PI CLOSED! The whole process to secure a spot at DtD for 3rd parties takes close to 6 months minimum planning...

TRex was being built before PI closed! The balloon was in the works LONG before PI was even officially announced to be closed - there was always plans to get it to DtD just like it's at the Disney Village at Disneyland Paris. Mega Screens at AMC have NOTHING to do with Disney. This is just AMC's investment, and would've happened with or without PI closing. McD's replacement wasnt due to anything but McD's pulling out of Disney locations (IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH DTD's project!). Ridemakerz was the result of the awesome Virgin Megastore shutting down nationwide...and its only a pop-up store. a HUGE embarassment to DtD to have to accept temporary stores that only take up 1/4th of a HUGE building. Paradiso was just a refurb of old PI buildings that was in the works LONG before PI was closing as well.

JT - I really hope you just come on here to joke around. Because half of what you say, if you truly believe it, makes me worry about your intellect.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
And there they are.

Spoiler alert: Pleasure Island isn't coming back.

Hyperion Wharf isn't dead, but it's on life support.
It is indeed. Internally it`s the biggest mess since.... well, DCA comes to mind. Let alone the FLE debacle.

It`s safe to say what comes at the end of the story for DTD central will be a crisis-avert route to cover up the sorry state of affairs the project has become.

What we may or may not get could in the long run be worth waiting for, even if it has nothing to do with the original PI site. But what will come will be nothing to do with the original ill conceived, short-sighted and poorly planned idea that was HW.

djkidkaz

Original Poster
Dtd in Anaheim is getting a best buy express. That's worse than seed & mulch!

And does anyone know if the wharf artwork is still being displayed at PI?

jt04

Are you really that dumb, or is this an act?

Those changes happened WAY BEFORE PI CLOSED! The whole process to secure a spot at DtD for 3rd parties takes close to 6 months minimum planning...

TRex was being built before PI closed! The balloon was in the works LONG before PI was even officially announced to be closed - there was always plans to get it to DtD just like it's at the Disney Village at Disneyland Paris. Mega Screens at AMC have NOTHING to do with Disney. This is just AMC's investment, and would've happened with or without PI closing. McD's replacement wasnt due to anything but McD's pulling out of Disney locations (IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH DTD's project!). Ridemakerz was the result of the awesome Virgin Megastore shutting down nationwide...and its only a pop-up store. a HUGE embarassment to DtD to have to accept temporary stores that only take up 1/4th of a HUGE building. Paradiso was just a refurb of old PI buildings that was in the works LONG before PI was closing as well.

JT - I really hope you just come on here to joke around. Because half of what you say, if you truly believe it, makes me worry about your intellect.

Obviously you have not read post #426 and #429 of this thread which might be excusable if they wern't based on a direct response to a previous post you made. If you are going to participate please at least try to keep up with the thread.

And the mods frown on personal attacks. I won't insult you for deliberately mischaracterizing my posts but I will report the next pesonal attack. You have been warned.

Have a nice day.

jt04

Dtd in Anaheim is getting a best buy express. That's worse than seed & mulch!

And does anyone know if the wharf artwork is still being displayed at PI?

A Best Buy? :rolleyes: :lol: Nothing against the chain but I definitely hope TDO does not follow suit. What is up with TDA these days? Yikes.

71jason

A Best Buy? :rolleyes: :lol: Nothing against the chain but I definitely hope TDO does not follow suit. What is up with TDA these days? Yikes.

I rarely agree with JT on the DtD threads, but this time, 100%. Wow. A complete lack of understanding of what the Disney brand should represent.

On the flip side, never been to Anaheim, but I can't imagine there aren't easier places to get to/park than Disneyland if I want a new iPod or vaccuum.

Lee

Adventurer
Simmer down ya'll...

A "Best Buy Express" is not a store. It's an automated kiosk. They are popping up in quite a few places, including one at DTD in Anaheim.

No big deal.:shrug:

3557595721_a59f243c8f.jpg

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Simmer down ya'll...

A "Best Buy Express" is not a store. It's an automated kiosk. They are popping up in quite a few places, including one at DTD in Anaheim.

No big deal.:shrug:

3557595721_a59f243c8f.jpg

Beat me to it Lee.

Although the thought of people rolling 47 inch flat screens through DTD is pretty funny.

They've also become quite popular in many of the major airports, at least the ones on the East Coast I've seen.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom