So is the Hyperion Wharf project dead?

jt04

No need to name names. I thought this was a discussion forum, therefore we discuss opinions etc. I praise Disney when it is warranted. This is not one of those times. I gave my opinion at the topic at hand. To imply someone is "lowrent" is a tad personal dont you think? I didnt attack anyone with my opinion (other then TDO).

The comment was not aimed at you or anyone in particular. Well, not anyone who still contributes here.

I think you can't take much of what happens here personally. Even though we often trade punches I think it is always in the spirit of fun. You can't take yourself too seriously around here or it will be a bit less than magical. Just roll with it. :ROFLOL:

AEfx

/giggle

It was a joke, LOL. Kind of like, "Oh, there is a discussion/controversy about PI?" and also the fact I never found it remotely interesting so I personally wouldn't have known it closed had I not read about it here.

Next time I'll do better, I swear. ;)

flavious27

It's all semantics.

• The property formerly called Pleasure Island is closed.
  • The area formerly occupied by Pleasure Island is open.

Well it sounds like terminology for the first does not work now, it should be: The property briefly planned to be called Hyperion Wharf is closed.

markc

Others that work there have stated the opposite and Garcia quotes Disney officials as saying they have seen a recovery despite a worsening economy. So I choose to believe actual real people rather than an anonymous poster here who may have an agenda.

I have no agenda. Disney officials saying they've seen a "recovery" are the same "officials" who claimed Hyperion Wharf was moving along nicely and that they had a solid plan for PI. If the recovery was being seen, the AP discount for merchandise would've been pulled immediately - but it hasnt. Sales are still down.

And the AMC chain is adding food service at many locations so it has nothing to do with anything particular to DTD. Except being a great idea.

No they aren't. Very few locations got it. Business has been down - hence their ability to take down a few movie theaters at a time to refurbish them to their new concept. Flawed logic on your part JT - clearly your business sense is lacking or non-existant.

flavious27

I have no agenda. Disney officials saying they've seen a "recovery" are the same "officials" who claimed Hyperion Wharf was moving along nicely and that they had a solid plan for PI. If the recovery was being seen, the AP discount for merchandise would've been pulled immediately - but it hasnt. Sales are still down.

No they aren't. Very few locations got it. Business has been down - hence their ability to take down a few movie theaters at a time to refurbish them to their new concept. Flawed logic on your part JT - clearly your business sense is lacking or non-existant.

Agreed, http://www.amctheatres.com/dinein/. Only 8 locations are dine-in.

markc

Exactly 8 out of 378 movie theaters in the US. Or, to put it in a better perspective, 32 screens (which are dine in) out of 5,336. It's just JT talking out of his behind again...using poor logic and his lack of understanding of true business sense.

Then again, he's the only one in the world who believes Downtown Disney is on to bigger and better things. Not even those at Team Disney believe that at this point.

flavious27

Exactly 8 out of 378 movie theaters in the US. Or, to put it in a better perspective, 32 screens (which are dine in) out of 5,336. It's just JT talking out of his behind again...using poor logic and his lack of understanding of true business sense.

Then again, he's the only one in the world who believes Downtown Disney is on to bigger and better things. Not even those at Team Disney believe that at this point.

TDO has found who they can market to well in their blogs and press releases.

jt04

Except I never go there unless someone provides a link which sounds compelling whereas you spend time there spinning. That is a big difference.

Anyway, you both are right and I missed the boat on the AMC. I should have realized they wouldn't add something to DTD that did not add to the amazingly ecclectic blend that sets it apart as a unique "lifestyle center" with a mix only found at WDW that will only improve over time. I should have known better than to think it wasn't a rare addition and therefore making the area a bit more of a success. The pieces are adding up. Thanks for info! :wave:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Except I never go there unless someone provides a link which sounds compelling whereas you spend time there spinning. That is a big difference.

Anyway, you both are right and I missed the boat on the AMC. I should have realized they wouldn't add something to DTD that did not add to the amazingly ecclectic blend that sets it apart as a unique "lifestyle center" with a mix only found at WDW that will only improve over time. I should have known better than to think it wasn't a rare addition and therefore making the area a bit more of a success. The pieces are adding up. Thanks for info! :wave:

The spin doctor is in rare form tonight! :lol:

Tim_4

It's curious though, isn't it?

I can fully appreciate spending money on potential projects that may or may not ever see the light of day, but I can't fathom the logic of actually announcing (and at least somewhat promoting) such projects before they're finally given the go-ahead.

By the way, I'm new around here. I've lurked here for a bit and posted on some "other" fan sites. Not a big fan of those "Hi everyone" threads so I'll just throw a wave. :wave:

lazyboy97o

The idea is not limited or exclusive to AMC. While it may not be widespread at this moment, it is a slowly growing. Even if it only comes to major city centers, should Walt Disney World really be like a visit to Anycity, USA?

flavious27

The idea is not limited or exclusive to AMC. While it may not be widespread at this moment, it is a slowly growing. Even if it only comes to major city centers, should Walt Disney World really be like a visit to Anycity, USA?

As with the upscale bowling alleys, dine-in theaters are not going to be anything but a niche market. It makes sense that disney added this to dtd.

It's curious though, isn't it?

I can fully appreciate spending money on potential projects that may or may not ever see the light of day, but I can't fathom the logic of actually announcing (and at least somewhat promoting) such projects before they're finally given the go-ahead.

By the way, I'm new around here. I've lurked here for a bit and posted on some "other" fan sites. Not a big fan of those "Hi everyone" threads so I'll just throw a wave. :wave:

Welcome. A good thread to get into is the one with Eddie Sotto.

Mouse Detective

As with the upscale bowling alleys, dine-in theaters are not going to be anything but a niche market. It makes sense that disney added this to dtd.

Disney no doubt had to sign off on it but I doubt it was Disney's idea to add dine-in theaters to AMC. That would have been AMC's idea to improve their facility.

But the name change, from Pleasure Island 24 to Downtown Disney 24, surely THAT was Disney's idea. Disney probably paid the expenses for the change too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom