So is the Hyperion Wharf project dead?

markc

The idea is not limited or exclusive to AMC. While it may not be widespread at this moment, it is a slowly growing. Even if it only comes to major city centers, should Walt Disney World really be like a visit to Anycity, USA?

True. The first theater to get this in central florida was actually the Plaza Theater downtown. However, its success was luke warm, to say the least- which is probably why this concept is moving very slow.

markc

Except I never go there unless someone provides a link which sounds compelling whereas you spend time there spinning. That is a big difference.

Speaking of spinning, havent you spun your wheels quite a bit around the idea that Downtown Disney is getting better, for the past 3 years, since PI closed only to look rather dumb and foolish? What's happened in the past 3 years....oh thats right. NOTHING. Unless of course an empty lot of land with newly planted green grass is your idea of an exciting "family friendly" DTD..:ROFLOL:

Anyway, you both are right and I missed the boat on the AMC. I should have realized they wouldn't add something to DTD that did not add to the amazingly ecclectic blend that sets it apart as a unique "lifestyle center" with a mix only found at WDW that will only improve over time. I should have known better than to think it wasn't a rare addition and therefore making the area a bit more of a success. The pieces are adding up. Thanks for info! :wave:

Uhh...its not an amazing ecclectic blend that sets it apart. The West Side/DTD is pi$$ poor compared to Hollywood's Universal City Walk and even pales in comparison to Orlando's City Walk at this point. And it's hardly a "lifestyle center" - and if thats what its trying to do, there are much better lifestyle centers all across the country that are doing it better. I'd hate to think of what your math skills are if "the pieces are adding up" as you say.

flavious27

Disney no doubt had to sign off on it but I doubt it was Disney's idea to add dine-in theaters to AMC. That would have been AMC's idea to improve their facility.

But the name change, from Pleasure Island 24 to Downtown Disney 24, surely THAT was Disney's idea. Disney probably paid the expenses for the change too.

Well I bet that the other tenants in DTD did not like it, who would see a movie and eat a meal, then go out to another restaurant? I could see disney not liking that scenario, it can disrupt their landlord business. At the same time, it would be an incentive for guests to see a movie at dtd that they wouldn't have.

The name change would be disney's because that was the point of hw and closing the clubs. Disney paying for the name change would also make sense because they would be requesting it; I think that some music amusement park in sc paid other businesses that were effected by the park's wish to change a street name.

jt04

Speaking of spinning, havent you spun your wheels quite a bit around the idea that Downtown Disney is getting better, for the past 3 years, since PI closed only to look rather dumb and foolish? What's happened in the past 3 years....oh thats right. NOTHING. Unless of course an empty lot of land with newly planted green grass is your idea of an exciting "family friendly" DTD..:ROFLOL:

Umm, T-Rex, the new balloon ride, mega screens at AMC, Ridemakerz, Lego expansion, McDs replacement. Plus Paridiso, refurbed Portifino etc etc. Right, sounds like "nothing" has changed :rolleyes:

And these were the 'easier' changes of a still ongoing project. Please at least try to apply some facts rather than just your opinion.

Uhh...its not an amazing ecclectic blend that sets it apart. The West Side/DTD is pi$$ poor compared to Hollywood's Universal City Walk and even pales in comparison to Orlando's City Walk at this point. And it's hardly a "lifestyle center" - and if thats what its trying to do, there are much better lifestyle centers all across the country that are doing it better. I'd hate to think of what your math skills are if "the pieces are adding up" as you say.

Purely subjective opinion. If I spun like this I would be accused of trolling. :lol:

71jason

Purely subjective opinion. If I spun like this I would be accused of trolling. :lol:

T-Rex, Paradiso and Characters in Flight were all in the works before the closing of PI 3 years ago. (Paradiso and CiF, in fact, were no doubt hurt by the closing of PI.)

The McDs change-over was necessitated by McDs pulling out at the end of their lease. Pollo Campero is certainly better than leaving another empty building, but I think ultimately we have to call it even.

The new AMC theaters are amazing, but they replaced existing theaters--another break-even. And there's no evidence this was TDO's idea rather than AMC's.

Ridemakerz is new. It's also an embarrassment that never should have been allowed to open in that form on WDW property.

One "new" thing, a "pop-up" store...and nothing to replace the profitable clubs that have now been shuttered almost 3 years.

71jason

The name change would be disney's because that was the point of hw and closing the clubs. Disney paying for the name change would also make sense because they would be requesting it; I think that some music amusement park in sc paid other businesses that were effected by the park's wish to change a street name.

Also, at a certain point, as the "Pleasure Island is closed" meme gains more and more traction, calling yourself the "AMC Pleasure Island" becomes a liability. I imagine the name change was a mutual decision, if not mostly the theater's. (Remember, in the Splitsville press release, management still referred to the area as "PI".)

jt04

T-Rex, Paradiso and Characters in Flight were all in the works before the closing of PI 3 years ago. (Paradiso and CiF, in fact, were no doubt hurt by the closing of PI.)

The McDs change-over was necessitated by McDs pulling out at the end of their lease. Pollo Campero is certainly better than leaving another empty building, but I think ultimately we have to call it even.

The new AMC theaters are amazing, but they replaced existing theaters--another break-even. And there's no evidence this was TDO's idea rather than AMC's.

Ridemakerz is new. It's also an embarrassment that never should have been allowed to open in that form on WDW property.

One "new" thing, a "pop-up" store...and nothing to replace the profitable clubs that have now been shuttered almost 3 years.

Pretending that any changes that happened before the clubs closed had nothing to do with the reimagining of DTD is hopelessly naive. That is if you actually believe that and are not just spinning as you so obviously are with the remainder of your post.

This wasn't even a good effort on your part. Some of you obviously are writing before receiving your official talking points. At this rate Lee will have to chime in hisownself. :lol:

Kamikaze

Pretending that any changes that happened before the clubs closed had nothing to do with the reimagining of DTD is hopelessly naive. That is if you actually believe that and are not just spinning as you so obviously are with the remainder of your post.

This wasn't even a good effort on your part. Some of you obviously are writing before receiving your official talking points. At this rate Lee will have to chime in hisownself. :lol:

There is no way to prove or disprove that any of the changes you are so proud of would have happened had PI stayed the way it was. In fact, had the Island still been full of operating clubs, I think it would have been easier to pull in some of those things you have mentioned. Just because they opened after they closed does not mean they couldn't have opened with the clubs open.

Tim_4

And there they are.

Spoiler alert: Pleasure Island isn't coming back.

Hyperion Wharf isn't dead, but it's on life support.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Yes. This.

But they are way too stubborn/dumb to ever realize that.

that doesn't give me much hope about the rest of the island then. I really hope they've come to their senses and at least are planning some sort of restaurant/ultra lounge concept at night with DANCING

djkidkaz

Original Poster
Theres no way Disney is reopening the clubs as clubs again. I would figure they are going in and doing demo work on what needs to be removed in order to turn these buildings into things other than night clubs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom