So is the Hyperion Wharf project dead?

TP2000

A Best Buy? :rolleyes: :lol: Nothing against the chain but I definitely hope TDO does not follow suit. What is up with TDA these days? Yikes.

As noted, it's not a giant big-box Best Buy taking over the ESPN Zone in Anaheim. It's just a little Best Buy Express kiosk, as found in airports and on college campuses.

There are two of them in Anaheim's Downtown Disney actually. One between the AMC theaters and the monorail station, and one at the other end of Downtown Disney near the Nutella Crepe stand and the tram station. They sell iPods and iPhones and basic laptop computer accesories, and instead of the bright blue graphics like they use in airports, these have been placed in themed enclosures that match the rest of Downtown Disney's architecture and graphic design themes. The small Best Buy logo on the roof of each kiosk is the only way to know what it's selling from more than 5 feet away.

Ta-da!
5889717464_75e2dc3a3b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5236/5889717464_75e2dc3a3b.jpg

I've actually seen young folks buying stuff out of these kiosks. Who knew you would need a brand new iPhone when visiting Disneyland?

jt04

As noted, it's not a giant big-box Best Buy taking over the ESPN Zone in Anaheim. It's just a little Best Buy Express kiosk, as found in airports and on college campuses.

There are two of them in Anaheim's Downtown Disney actually. One between the AMC theaters and the monorail station, and one at the other end of Downtown Disney near the Nutella Crepe stand and the tram station. They sell iPods and iPhones and basic laptop computer accesories, and instead of the bright blue graphics like they use in airports, these have been placed in themed enclosures that match the rest of Downtown Disney's architecture and graphic design themes. The small Best Buy logo on the roof of each kiosk is the only way to know what it's selling from more than 5 feet away.

Ta-da!
5889717464_75e2dc3a3b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5236/5889717464_75e2dc3a3b.jpg

I've actually seen young folks buying stuff out of these kiosks. Who knew you would need a brand new iPhone when visiting Disneyland?

Yeah, this seems pretty cutting edge. Seems like a good add. I thought TDA was losing their touch for a second.

And wasn't there a kiosk looking deal in the HW concept art? Hmm.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Yeah, this seems pretty cutting edge. Seems like a good add. I thought TDA was losing their touch for a second.

So cutting edge it's going into over 100 airports around the country. And DCA.

There were a lot of colorful "kiosks" in the HW concept art. It doesn't translate into one from Best Buy any more than another retailer (or a DVC kiosk for that matter).

Cosmic Commando

They have at least one at MCO. Probably more, as the one I saw was in one of the outlier terminal building thingies where the actual gates are. It's a vending machine. No big deal, positive or negative. The prices were standard MSRP type prices, so it's very nice to be able to get electronics products without it being the equivalent of a $5 bottle of Coke. Dare I say WDW could use one.

Kamikaze

Yes, so cutting edge that they are in supermarkets and department stores.

djkidkaz

Original Poster
Yes, so cutting edge that they are in supermarkets and department stores.

People come to Disney to escape real life. I know if I was a best buy employee I would hate seeing that while on vacation!! That's what I love about disney world is that I'm not seeing businesses and branding that is smacked in my face all day when I'm not on vaca. It's what makes it feel like a special place where the outside world hasn't encroached upon. Today its a best buy kiosk, what's next??! to me it's a sign that Disney is cashing in on some easy marketing dollars by allowing this, so if this is ok then where is their boundary? I'm sorry I just think there should be no major businesses on Disney property other than Disney owned ones. I'm not even really a fan of all the non Disney restaurants at dtd.

MarkTwain

That was the part I found funny about the whole thing. I wonder how many people say to themselves, "Hmm, I've paid thousands of dollars to be here and be entertained around the clock by Disneyland and DCA, but y'know what I'm craving? A Nintendo DS." :lol:

Still, I could imagine some of those laptop accessories might come in handy in pinch...

TP2000

People come to Disney to escape real life. I know if I was a best buy employee I would hate seeing that while on vacation!! That's what I love about disney world is that I'm not seeing businesses and branding that is smacked in my face all day when I'm not on vaca. It's what makes it feel like a special place where the outside world hasn't encroached upon. Today its a best buy kiosk, what's next??! to me it's a sign that Disney is cashing in on some easy marketing dollars by allowing this, so if this is ok then where is their boundary? I'm sorry I just think there should be no major businesses on Disney property other than Disney owned ones. I'm not even really a fan of all the non Disney restaurants at dtd.

Hmm... So I stopped by Downtown Disney at Disneyland today on a gorgeous SoCal afternoon to get some of my own pictures of this Best Buy kiosk thing. I'm not sure what the big deal is here. There are two in Downtown Disney, and they both fit in perfectly with all the other kiosks in Downtown Disney.

Here's the Best Buy "Gadget Magic" kiosk at the east end of Downtown Disney, by the tram station and entrance to the two theme parks.

DLR August 2011 042 by TP1985, on Flickr

And here's the second one, on the west end of Downtown Disney by the Lego Store and the monorail station.

DLR August 2011 051 by TP1985, on Flickr

They blend right in, and don't seem to be much different than all the other kiosks that Disneyland's Downtown Disney has. I know it's a challenge with the Orlando climate and weather, but these open air kiosks really add to the festive atmosphere and if they can work more of them in to the scene at Hyperion Wharf (or whatever it's going to be called), then so much the better.

Lotso Kiosks N' Merch Stands at Downtown Disney!

DLR August 2011 048 by TP1985, on Flickr

As for the branding, I don't quite get that concern either. Downtown Disney has plenty of third party participants taking up retail and dining space. And both TDA and TDO appear to be going after more of the third party folks, instead of the opposite direction. Particularly in Anaheim, they've got a really nice balance and it works.

At Downtown Disney on both coasts there's already outside groups like Rainforest Cafe, ESPN Zone, Wolfgang Puck, Ridemakerz, Build-A-Bear, Fossil, Quicksilver, Sephora, Patina, AMC, etc., etc. Not to mention inside the parks since Walt Disney's day, with major American companies taking up prime marquee space with logos (and even snappy Sherman Brothers theme songs) for General Motors, Kraft, General Electric, Monsanto, Kodak, Coca-Cola, HP, Exxon, Sylvania, Honda, Chevron, Carnation, American Express, etc., etc.

Here's a Fossil store right next door to a Disney Vault 28 store, next to a D Street, across from the Uva Bar serving (gasp!) alcohol, with a fancy Catal restaurant on the balcony above. But it works. So why wouldn't an iPod and iPhone kiosk be able to mesh in with all of this 21st century retail and dining too? :confused:

DLR August 2011 053 by TP1985, on Flickr

71jason

What is so "un-Disney" about having a Nintendo 3DS, MP3 player, and ear bud vending machine?

Why do you need those at Disneyland? Isn't the point of going to be entertained by Disneyland itself?

Also, while it's not a clear line (sponsorships have been a part of the parks since 1955), there is that sense of what Djkadkaz mentioned, that "the real world" is slipping into what is supposed to be a carefully controlled idealized artifical environment. But Anaheim isn't Orlando, so maybe this isn't as jarring as I am imaging it would be.

Back on topic, has no one heard any rumor of what the PI/HW permits involve?

Kamikaze

Why do you need those at Disneyland? Isn't the point of going to be entertained by Disneyland itself?

Also, while it's not a clear line (sponsorships have been a part of the parks since 1955), there is that sense of what Djkadkaz mentioned, that "the real world" is slipping into what is supposed to be a carefully controlled idealized artifical environment. But Anaheim isn't Orlando, so maybe this isn't as jarring as I am imaging it would be.

Back on topic, has no one heard any rumor of what the PI/HW permits involve?

Its not in Disneyland. Its at Downtown Disney, Anaheim. Its pulling in rent, in their shopping district. Whats the problem with that?

TP2000

As has been mentioned, these kiosks are not at Disneyland itself. Nor are they inside California Adventure, or at the Disney Resort Hotels either. It's at Downtown Disney; a shopping mall with lots of stores and restaurants and nightclubs and pay-to-play activities and movie theaters to keep people entertained.

Now if these kiosks had popped up in Tomorrowland or Paradise Pier, then yeah, we'd have a problem and I'd be ringing the alarm bell too.

But at Downtown Disney? What's the big deal? I'm impressed that Disney made Best Buy go to the lengths they did to make the kiosks fit in with the garden district theme of Downtown Disney. The kiosks and all customer-facing equipment is sage green instead of bright blue, as one example.

flavious27

Theres no way Disney is reopening the clubs as clubs again. I would figure they are going in and doing demo work on what needs to be removed in order to turn these buildings into things other than night clubs.

It will be hard to use them for anything else without it looking like they just shoved something else in there. Opening as nightclubs again under 3rd parties would be dumb, and more egg on disney's face.

It is indeed. Internally it`s the biggest mess since.... well, DCA comes to mind. Let alone the FLE debacle.

It`s safe to say what comes at the end of the story for DTD central will be a crisis-avert route to cover up the sorry state of affairs the project has become.

What we may or may not get could in the long run be worth waiting for, even if it has nothing to do with the original PI site. But what will come will be nothing to do with the original ill conceived, short-sighted and poorly planned idea that was HW.

I would peg it somewhere between DCA and FC.

Same clubs new themes is a very poor ending for this story. While I am squarely in the corner of bringing back nightlife options at DTD, I do not want to see 4 Dance clubs pop back up. TDO seems completely lost here.

It seems like they have been lost for a while now, it just has finally caught up with them.

Yes. This.

But they are way too stubborn/dumb to ever realize that.

Well there just needs to be a refresh of tdo and dtd management.

Also, at a certain point, as the "Pleasure Island is closed" meme gains more and more traction, calling yourself the "AMC Pleasure Island" becomes a liability. I imagine the name change was a mutual decision, if not mostly the theater's. (Remember, in the Splitsville press release, management still referred to the area as "PI".)

It seems like at this point HW is a curse word that shouldn't be used unless to say it is on hold.

Simmer down ya'll...

A "Best Buy Express" is not a store. It's an automated kiosk. They are popping up in quite a few places, including one at DTD in Anaheim.

No big deal.:shrug:

3557595721_a59f243c8f.jpg

It is still out of place, and questionable about its actually need.

Beat me to it Lee.

Although the thought of people rolling 47 inch flat screens through DTD is pretty funny.

The really funny thing would be seeing someone try to get that screen onto one of the buses.

That was the part I found funny about the whole thing. I wonder how many people say to themselves, "Hmm, I've paid thousands of dollars to be here and be entertained around the clock by Disneyland and DCA, but y'know what I'm craving? A Nintendo DS." :lol:

Still, I could imagine some of those laptop accessories might come in handy in pinch...

I can only see a few items that would sell, laptop accessories, memory cards, and power adapters. Anything else is going to sit until a kid gets starts a meltdown because they saw something that they want.

Because Walt never shopped at Best Buy.

:ROFLOL:

Well why would he have a reason to ever travel to Minnesota?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom