So is anyone not going anymore? (I'm still a fan. lol)

Gary S. Ownsby

Each to their own decision; however, asking that type question is like saying "are you going to any more baseball games because it rained the last time?" Disney isn't perfect because humans are involved both as customers and cast members but it remains a great place to go and enjoy in spite of the occasional "hiccup" with something or someone.

Bpmorley

I will be in disney in a few weeks. No plans on doing any parks. Going for a week around Halloween and only doing 1 food and wine day(DW's birthday). Normally by now we have our 10 day - 2 week trip planned for late Nov - early Dec. But not this year. I'd rather get more for dollar somewhere else. Shame, we loved it since our first trip together in 2000, but come on anymore.

I have not been in going on two years now. For me, it is the crowds, followed by the buses. Just not something I am up for annually anymore.

Will I go again? Sure, very likely. It just takes more time to build up a tolerance. :p
Isn’t it sad when you have to build up a tolerance for what should be the happiest place on earth?

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
Each to their own decision; however, asking that type question is like saying "are you going to any more baseball games because it rained the last time?" Disney isn't perfect because humans are involved both as customers and cast members but it remains a great place to go and enjoy in spite of the occasional "hiccup" with something or someone.

Not at all I was just interested in knowing if the folks complaining were going else where.

It seems an interesting dichotomy, the major reason for dissatisfaction seems to be the actual success of Disney.
A businesses objective is usually to bring in more customers.

Disney is damned if they do and damned if they don't

Dunston

It's become so expensive I feel I can only justify returning to Orlando in like 2020 or 2021 once there is plenty of new (albeit crowded) experiences to be had. I don't place myself in the doom and gloom camp that many others riotously join, but it's just really expensive and I'd like to wait to go there with my girlfriend when it wouldn't break the bank.
In the meantime, it makes more financial and reasonable sense to take a trip or two in "real places" that are closer to home and are more relaxed than a theme park vacation.

Bob Pescatore

We were at WDW last week (2/18-2/24) stayed at the French Quarter and cannot say nicer things about that moderate. As for the parks they were packed. We figured go in Jan-Feb as in the past (This is our 23rd trip) and have low crowds, were we wrong there was 45 Minute wait for Small World, 105 minute wait for Peter Pan, an actual wait for the people mover. We used fast pass as well as we could but even then had a wait to get to the scanner for fast pass then wait once inside. We enjoyed ourselves despite the crowds but being loyal Disney goers it would be nice if they could do more for us as far as fast passes and quicker access as we get mixed in with the one and done visitors.

amjt660

Premium Member
I will wade on this one.

For those that do not know me (most of my time is in the TR forum) I have been very fortunate through my work to travel to Japan multiple times in the last two years.
From Dec 2016 to Nov 2017 I visited 5 of the 6 resorts (missed Paris - have done it once in 2011).
3 solo trips to the Asian parks and 2 family trips to the US parks.

My least enjoyable experience was WDW in Florida.

Same reasons as most
1) Large crowds - not well mannered at that
2) Management of the parks - cutbacks in services, hours & inability to control said crowds
3) Drop in value - I am okay with a cost increase if I believe I am getting value but the Disney hotels charge a deluxe rate for a hotel that is not deluxe.
4) Construction - the speed at which they update/refurb is sloth like - obviously for cost purposes

I will continue to visit Disney but no plan to return to WDW for now.
I keep telling myself to go back for the 50th so I guess 2021 would be my next visit as of now.

Max

Club Cooloholic

We were at WDW last week (2/18-2/24) stayed at the French Quarter and cannot say nicer things about that moderate. As for the parks they were packed. We figured go in Jan-Feb as in the past (This is our 23rd trip) and have low crowds, were we wrong there was 45 Minute wait for Small World, 105 minute wait for Peter Pan, an actual wait for the people mover. We used fast pass as well as we could but even then had a wait to get to the scanner for fast pass then wait once inside. We enjoyed ourselves despite the crowds but being loyal Disney goers it would be nice if they could do more for us as far as fast passes and quicker access as we get mixed in with the one and done visitors.
We all started as one before we were repeat visitors. This is the kind of thing that would keep me away, and I have been plenty of times. In a nutshell, things went south for me with the fastpass plus. I hate planning what I will ride, months in advance, it goes oppsite of what visiting a theme park should be, a fun fairly spontaneous thing. " Hey thatvridevwas fun, should we go again?

4U2NVME

We are going in September for Food and Wine and that will be our last visit. The prices are so high and with all the construction including Paris, France the price are going to continue to sky rocket even higher, not just the normal price increases. Just can't justify the prices. Unfortunately Disney counts on your feelings and they take advantage of that. But I hope all you die hard fans have fun. I want to see different places and the parks are just not taken care of like they used to be. I hate seeing things falling apart like they are now. We went in November last year and was disappointed on how things look.

Tk0021

We are going on our third trip in three years this December, but this will be our last for while. We wanted to go a few times while our daughters are in the loving the princesses range, but my 6 year old is already over them. She loves the rides, but really we have plenty of places we can ride rides for a lot less. It is just to expensive. I am just glad we had a chance to go and take our girls and these last two trips my parents are able to go as well. My parents love Disney and I am glad they get to see their granddaughters have fun there.

ninalinda1023

so with all the post on the parks being anything between "disappointing to bad" has anyone made the decision to not go back to WDW?

I've actually got two trips plan this year.
I will always go to WDW. Never been disappointed. I truly love it. My whole family loves it also we go about 3-4 times a year. Next trip May 2018 Mother's Day Week Vacation. Hope you enjoy your stay.

ninalinda1023

I plan to go in May 2019 (we do a WDW trip every other year). I still love going and would rather be there than just about any place else. Also, I come to these boards not to complain, but mostly to try to gain information about changes that may be happening (the insiders on this board are really good).
Perfectly said! Enjoy your trip.

nj_to_wdw

Since our honeymoon at WDW in 1978 I estimate we've visited 15 times (didn't keep track). We actually started liking it more once the "kids" were adults and my wife and I just went by ourselves. Plus we had more disposable income and tended to stay within the park (usually Poly or GF). I have taken the Behind the Scenes tours, and the Segway Tour. I have always enjoyed the Illuminations and have many videos.

But alas, I think WDW is turning into an assembly line. Just push the people through, FP+ to control access and minimize flexibility. As much security as an airport. Lots of construction, and a general "bloom is off the rose" feeling. I especially think that is so with the dining. The food at some places is good quality (Raglan Road, the Land, Narcossees) but in general I would say it runs from fast food to lower quality than you would find in a good neighborhood restaurant here in New Jersey.

I mean, there are things I enjoyed during our last trip: GF fitness center, walking around the lagoon with my wife, listening to music in the Grand Floridian main building, the overall buzz and night life of Disney Springs. But it's just not worth the 1000 mile trip, and the $$$$ for the things I named. At least that's the direction I am leaning, my wife may still wish to go again. I am thinking we could spend the same money for a more upscale vacation near home.

winstongator

We are going in September for Food and Wine and that will be our last visit. The prices are so high and with all the construction including Paris, France the price are going to continue to sky rocket even higher, not just the normal price increases. Just can't justify the prices. Unfortunately Disney counts on your feelings and they take advantage of that. But I hope all you die hard fans have fun. I want to see different places and the parks are just not taken care of like they used to be. I hate seeing things falling apart like they are now. We went in November last year and was disappointed on how things look.
Disney charges what the market (us) will pay. Even with price increases they keep getting more guests. What would prices have to rise to to get park attendance back to 2000 levels?

Second point is that the parks and resorts margins aren’t big enough that they could roll back to early 90’s era pricing, adjusted for inflation, and still make a profit. Not sure exactly how but their costs have gone way up.

I deal with the crowds by rope dropping and fp+. I still love the parks and my family’s memories there. We are slowing down, and not renewing our passes, but that’s due to travel8ng elsewhere and overdone it a little the past 3 years.

amjt660

Premium Member
But isn't Tokyo crowded and expensive. From your perspective what makes Tokyo Disney Land so much better even if crowded and expensive.
Value
Tokyo is well run, has new / unique attractions, and includes the most stunning park in Disney Sea
It is run by a company that cares

So even though it is busy and expensive you walk out saying you got your monies worth

Note: Value is subjective of course so this is my perception

Max

jimbojones

Disney charges what the market (us) will pay. Even with price increases they keep getting more guests. What would prices have to rise to to get park attendance back to 2000 levels?
My guess is that park ticket prices would need to double to get crowds back under control, the hotels are already appropriately priced it seems to me, but the park tickets could reasonably be doubled to get crowds under control. It can cost $150 for a lift ticket at a ski resort, WDW could charge $200 a day and make as much if not more money off of thinner crowds and although it would mean complaints from lots of people those folks would still go and just make shorter visits. Ultimately the only cure for over crowding is higher prices. I know I'd pay 200 a a day if it meant early 2000s crowds levels. I'd make shorter visits but if you can ride twice as many rides per day its worth paying twice as much.

Its not the ticket price you need to consider but the price per ride, and if you can get smaller crowds a more expensive ticket price may actually end up as the same or less per ride. ALthough no one wants to pay more, WDW is too inexpensive, the demand for the parks is exceeding supply the only solution is higher prices.

Last edited:

OneofThree

ALthough no one wants to pay more WDW is too inexpensive, the demand for the parks is exceeding supply the only solution is higher prices.

So glad someone else gets this. Disney is, in part, renting "space". They have been overselling this space for some time. Like you, I'd rather go less and enjoy it more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom