So is anyone not going anymore? (I'm still a fan. lol)

Phonedave

Well, we go to WDW pretty often - in fact we added on to our DVC contract just last year. However, we go to the parks a lot less.

My wife and I go for F&W, and clearly we need to get park admission for that, but it's no longer a park hopper.

When we go with the kids, it is no longer every year, and we do not buy park passes for every day we are there. We have days when we do other things.

Walt Disney WORLD itself still appeals to me - the water parks, Disney Springs, the DVC units, golf, etc. The 4 parks - not so much. Crowded beyond belief, shorter hours, broken rides, I could go on and on.

-dave

Nick Pappagiorgio

Walt Disney WORLD itself still appeals to me - the water parks, Disney Springs, the DVC units, golf, etc. The 4 parks - not so much. Crowded beyond belief, shorter hours, broken rides, I could go on and on.

-dave

That sums it up for myself as well. Still go, but the number of park days that I am buying is down significantly.

My AP expires on Friday and I'm not renewing this year. Lots of little things for me:

• I live 800 miles away
  • The crowds are never-ending now
  • The hotel prices are a wee bit too high for my taste
  • Lines are getting longer and longer (obviously related to the crowds)
  • Lots of new things coming, so lots of construction/closures -- I believe this is a GOOD thing!
I have friends/family in the Orlando area so I will still visit the area but from now on I will simply park at Disney Springs, take a nice walk, jump on a bus over to Boardwalk/Yacht Club/Beach Club, hang around that area, maybe walk between International Gateway and DHS, visit the other resorts and walk around and enjoy the atmosphere and a nice meal, etc.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
so with all the post on the parks being anything between "disappointing to bad" has anyone made the decision to not go back to WDW?

I've actually got two trips plan this year.

Made that decision back in 2015, did my last runDisney event in 2017 (no park visit) and sold my 800 DVC points in 2017, none of Disney's recent moves make me want to go back to WDW.

As I frequently note it will be a cold day in hell before I go back to WDW

rjohn03

so with all the post on the parks being anything between "disappointing to bad" has anyone made the decision to not go back to WDW?

I've actually got two trips plan this year.[/QUOTE

I also have two trips planned and am not changing anything. I find the reports interesting but unless they are made by some one I know and trust, I am not Certain of the validity of the report.

mikeanabean

Wish I could but cannot afford it anymore they have officially priced me out of the market. last trip in July of 17 broke the bank and it was not same. Might go back for Star Wars once completed. To many other places in the world too see

The Tuna

My last trip was in 2015 and we are going in May of this year. However for the first time I am not feeling the excitement I usually do. I don't like waiting in line and seeing how packed things are really doesn't appeal to me. I go to experience the rides, shows, and attractions, not to stand in line. Knowing they are intentionally increasing these wait times by having fewer staff or fewer trains running on rides really bugs me. There is no value for money at WDW and I don't think there has been for a long while but I have never cared about that. I have always cared about the experience and the ability to get on rides in a reasonable amount of time. Fastpass + is a downgrade from FP but I can still handle it if I can get on other rides. The dining plan is a waste of money now where it used to be a great bargain.

My hope is that all of my worries are unfounded and i know I will enjoy myself when I get there. My worry is I come back after two trips in a row thinking I didn't feel the way I should after the trip which is happy and fulfilled and feeling the Disney Magic!!!

monykalyn

We're going in early June (nervous about what to expect crowd-wise since we've always gone in the fall or May)
Early June is my favorite time, crowds will be up from May but I'm betting crowds in early June will be light as some peeps are waiting til TSL opens end of Junes.
My Disney loving girls are in/going into college and can't go as easily as before so it'll be a few years before I'll make it back
Have them apply for Disney College Program!

We got AP's last august as my oldest did the fall DCP. Family went August, Thanksgiving and we are going again in June (I also went on girls trip in October, and just DH and I went over NY-kids program ended Jan 4 so we went early). Having a CM in the family definitely made things more affordable! Especially her holiday discount. We stayed on property in August (8 days) October (4 days) off property Thanksgiving (our timeshare) and split on/off over New Years. June we are on property for 5 days (decent bounce back offer) then to beach for a few days, then week in our timeshare. Younger kids ( 12 yo boy, 15 yo girl) and DH are over Disney. We are mostly going as we have the tickets paid for (AP). Everyone wants Universal this time and DH wants to get AP there-we could get 2 trips out of those with minimal cost (after AP expense) as we have our timeshare week. I expect we are taking a few years break after this summer. We want to go to France in 2 years so the money we spend on these trips will go towards that trip.
Recent trips we have gone in 2014 (5 days), 2015 (2 weeks), skipped 2016 and then last year and this year, with planned several year break.

• I live 800 miles away
  • The crowds are never-ending now
  • The hotel prices are a wee bit too high for my taste
  • Lines are getting longer and longer (obviously related to the crowds)
  • Lots of new things coming, so lots of construction/closures -- I believe this is a GOOD thing!

I live 3500 miles away. It now costs an arm and a leg to do “Disney” stuff. This year we’re going in April/May but staying 3 nights Vero Beach, 2 nights St Augustine and 5 nights Hampton Inn Lake Buena Vista. First time ever no theme parks. Like others have said ..... crowds too big, queues too long, food prices too high etc.
In our last visit in November it felt as if the magic had gone. Short park hours coupled with almost every night at the MK kicking you out early due to MNSSHP made it a very low value for money holiday.
Have been a DVC member since 2007 and now considering selling. ☹️

Zipadeelady

Early June is my favorite time, crowds will be up from May but I'm betting crowds in early June will be light as some peeps are waiting til TSL opens end of Junes.

Have them apply for Disney College Program!
One of them is definitely going to! I never even thought of the benefits I could squeeze out of my daughter for being in the program! Nice.

danyoung56

It will be interesting, looking at the crowds on my next trip in mid-April. I usually circumvent the crowds, and don't see any reason why this won't still be the case. I've been to the parks where they've been totally uncrowded, and I've been there when it's wall to wall. I still manage to have a great time no matter what.

monykalyn

One of them is definitely going to! I never even thought of the benefits I could squeeze out of my daughter for being in the program! Nice.
free earned tickets at 150 hours, 300 hours and 900 hours, the fall kids also get a holiday booklet with extra tickets and holiday discounts. Plus CM discount on resort rooms - where available, and not all are great-no matter the discount I am not shelling out for CL at Yacht club! but her discount over new years at Coronado was very nice!
And my college kid applied for her 2nd program- summer alumni this summer. She is hoping for Disneyland this time, is unsure if she will go back to World if that is what she gets. Good luck to your girl!

Maverick9t

We have been going every year since my 7 year old was 6 months. Before that, have been a zillion times. Was on the college program back in 1999 as a monorail pilot. Typically would do a 6 night at pop century. This past year did things a bit differently. Had planned to do our thing in January. Ended up doing a 7 night cruise on carnival out of port canaveral in dec. We did one night at MK for the Christmas party. Found that this 8 night vaca was cheaper than a 6 night Disney trip. Disney prices are just getting a bit extreme. Don’t get me wrong - will always be a Disney Parks fan - just time to show my daughter more of the world. Prob plan our next big Disney trip around 2021 when all the new stuff is opened - with prob a few small 2 day trips to the parks.

DisDadWoz

We have two trips planned this year along with AP's. We moved closer than we were before so we may go for shorter time periods now that we can get there in less than a day driving. We did a trip a few years back where we stayed for 4 days and didn't go to a park. You can watch fireworks from resorts, still eat at nice places and enjoy the seasonal decorations without having to buy a park ticket. Even if we didn't go to a park I think I would go every year for Christmas time to enjoy the atmosphere.

I've actually got two trips plan this year.
We are just about done with our visits to WDW. The Magic is pretty much gone. Having been there 35 times over 33 years, I can tell you that the decline has been quite apparent. We just returned from a two week stay and the crowds were horrible. You don’t ride without a FP anymore. Not much bang for your buck either. And no consideration for the ambiance. So much construction. Too much security. Too many cast mishandlings of situations, rooms not clean, and a host of other issues. We feel nostalgic about Disney, as many have said, but there is just not enough to go back for. One more trip, just to make our annual passes worthwhile, and then we go on hiatus!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom