So is anyone not going anymore? (I'm still a fan. lol)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Real world - 1 education system can not possibly prepare individuals for a workforce with multiple facets - We need a multi prong approach depending on each student's strengths and weakness' - - right now we have a single broad approach to teaching and evaluating.
We are still grouping children by age and not ability - - - that is our first Western mistake.

It sounded like you were trying to say that people who take vacations were the reason for falling scores compared to the world.

Changing the education system - especially the publicly funded systems is much harder than simple ideas and theories. I know this I have been an educator on Canada for the past 12 years.

In many ways the old 'One Room' schoolhouse was better adapted as kids self grouped according to ability and the more able tutored the rest.

nolatron

Still going and still enjoying it with the kids. Our next trip is set for next March. Actually that will be before SW:GE opens so it's not a zoo at DHS and we can visit Toy Story Land. Then we can visit again 1-2 years later after the SW:GE hopefully crowds settle in.

NelleBelle

In most cases public school teachers are paid MORE than their private school equivalents, The big problem with public schooling is that most of the money spent by the taxpayer NEVER makes it to the classroom, It's spent on the educrats who supposedly run the school districts who need to go to conventions in Hawaii and other pleasant destinations. Kids need pencils and paper, Well the teachers buy those for the kids out of their pay.

In my district schools are failing overcrowded etc, yet what is the priority of the district the construction of a new administrative office building to house all the educrats for a few tens of millions of dollars.

Full disclosure DW is a teacher.

Your wife does not have an easy job--my hat's off to her! I love our teachers dearly and know they totally make a lot of sacrifices (especially at our school, which is located in a very expensive part of town where the majority of teachers can't afford to live. The school was built at it's location back in 1939, well before Microsoft moved in and raised housing over 200%).

Totally makes me angry with all financial BS you just mentioned above. WA state currently has huge budget issues from a lawsuit brought against it back in 2007 stating that the board of education was not providing basic education promised in the state constitution. Now the state supreme court has mandated that all public schools be brought up to "snuff" by 2018 (which of course is not happening). It's a huge mess!! But I digress...you made excellent points in your post!

OneofThree

Real world - 1 education system can not possibly prepare individuals for a workforce with multiple facets

They're speaking in relative terms, obviously. In the same way, we did not always occupy our current position in relation to other nations.

It sounded like you were trying to say that people who take vacations were the reason for falling scores compared to the world.

Symptom of a problem.

Kingtut

I didn't reference the system specifically. We author, approve, and fund. As far as metrics go? Let's talk real-world. Any idea how many HR officers will tell you that new hires simply aren't prepared anymore? This is evidenced by firms' reliance upon talent from foreign countries, particularly in STEM. We continue to fall behind -and it's not because our kids are working too hard, promise.
BS BS BS BS and more BS. All of the crap that business can't find qualified workers in nothing but BS. The real thing they don't say is

" We can't find qualified workers FOR WHAT WE WANT TO PAY" -

I have been hearing this sob story we can't find engineers for over 40 years - when what they really mean is we can't find CHEAP engineers. I am in technology development and I'll tell you I didn't want my older kids going into it because it is always a boom or bust cycle. Why pay more for an experienced engineer/programmer when I can get some new grad or H1B worker for cheap? Are you 35 years old then you are over the hill and cost too much money. So you get the new engineers and they make all of the new engineer mistakes ( over and over again) The MBA's running corporations can't put a price on getting something done correctly or in a way that will last so there must not be any value to it. Until your customers data is compromised, you lose all past transaction data, or your Yeti doesn't work. But by then the MBA's have moved on and it's somebody else's problem.

Rant over - returning to our normally scheduled program.

OneofThree

BS BS BS BS and more BS. All of the crap that business can't find qualified workers in nothing but BS. The real thing they don't say is

" We can't find qualified workers FOR WHAT WE WANT TO PAY" -

I have been hearing this sob story we can't find engineers for over 40 years - when what they really mean is we can't find CHEAP engineers. I am in technology development and I'll tell you I didn't want my older kids going into it because it is always a boom or bust cycle. Why pay more for an experienced engineer/programmer when I can get some new grad or H1B worker for cheap? Are you 35 years old then you are over the hill and cost too much money. So you get the new engineers and they make all of the new engineer mistakes ( over and over again) The MBA's running corporations can't put a price on getting something done correctly or in a way that will last so there must not be any value to it. Until your customers data is compromised, you lose all past transaction data, or your Yeti doesn't work. But by then the MBA's have moved on and it's somebody else's problem.

Rant over - returning to our normally scheduled program.

We're dependent on these grads now more than ever. Not only is this where growth is, but we're faced with an enormous amount of talent retiring.

Kingtut

We're dependent on these grads now more than ever. Not only is this where growth is, but we're faced with an enormous amount of talent retiring.
Really - try telling that to the math major working at Walmart as a cashier or the new engineer working in inside sales.

Yes there is older talent retiring but nowhere near as much as is simply being forced out for cheaper , less experienced, less qualified bodies.

Not at all I was just interested in knowing if the folks complaining were going else where.

It seems an interesting dichotomy, the major reason for dissatisfaction seems to be the actual success of Disney.
A businesses objective is usually to bring in more customers.

Disney is damned if they do and damned if they don't
Business objectives and consumer objectives, while both indicate a success, are by no means the same.

Nsaudra

As much as we love Disney my husband is very upset with some of the choices they are making these days... most recent andi mack, so he told me that we shouldnt support them. So unless i change his mind we wont.

When we went and didn't have children I would return and tell family and friends about the mind blowing things to see and do, like Sea base Alpha, The swim with Sharks at typhoon, Journey into imagination with figment, Horizons, Soarin California and just the atmosphere like the queue at imagination with the dancing waters ( which is now a joke). So after taking my 6 year old and going on rides like nemo at living seas her reaction was less than thrilled. So for the first time in so many years my answer is I' Don't Know, we live about 1000 miles away and I'm waiting to see if they can return the magic that once was.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom