So I'm watching the Christmas parade on TV...

Ringo8n24

I personally would like to see much more of the park decorated for Christmas than they show during the two hours. It would be to WDW's benefit to show more of the park as a marketing tool than to slap someone like Mariah Carey or the others in there to fill in time and I am sure that would be cheaper than some of those stars. I have never gotten to go there during Christmas and the short clips/shots during the parade along with pictures posted here are all I have seen and would love to see more in those two hours on Christmas Day.

Montu

Ringo8n24 said:
I personally would like to see much more of the park decorated for Christmas than they show during the two hours. It would be to WDW's benefit to show more of the park as a marketing tool than to slap someone like Mariah Carey or the others in there to fill in time and I am sure that would be cheaper than some of those stars. I have never gotten to go there during Christmas and the short clips/shots during the parade along with pictures posted here are all I have seen and would love to see more in those two hours on Christmas Day.

Um... there's not enough decorating in the Magic Kingdom to cover a two hour show. I mean, they basically did show all of the park decorated - as sad as that is. The Magic Kingdom just doesn't do a lot beyond Main Street USA in the way of Christmas (or any Holiday) decorating. It's discouraging when you look at pictures of what Disneyland Paris does, or what Tokyo Disneyland does.

Ringo8n24

Montu said:
Um... there's not enough decorating in the Magic Kingdom to cover a two hour show. I mean, they basically did show all of the park decorated - as sad as that is. The Magic Kingdom just doesn't do a lot beyond Main Street USA in the way of Christmas (or any Holiday) decorating. It's discouraging when you look at pictures of what Disneyland Paris does, or what Tokyo Disneyland does.

I am not saying the whole two hours be spent on showing the decorations, but there are areas they could hit more than they do for Christmas. I have been to WDW in the middle of November before and there are already some Christmas themed shows and decorations that they do not show on Christmas Day's parade time. I still want to see the parades, characters, etc on Christmas Day, but there sure seemed to be alot of fluff in between. I know, just find the time and go myself for Christmas one year... :xmas: :)

Montu

Ringo8n24 said:
I am not saying the whole two hours be spent on showing the decorations, but there are areas they could hit more than they do for Christmas. I have been to WDW in the middle of November before and there are already some Christmas themed shows and decorations that they do not show on Christmas Day's parade time. I still want to see the parades, characters, etc on Christmas Day, but there sure seemed to be alot of fluff in between. I know, just find the time and go myself for Christmas one year... :xmas: :)

No, honestly, that's what I'm trying to tell you - there's really not *a lot* of other Christmas stuff at the Magic Kingdom that wasn't shown. There is the Country Bear Christmas Special, which I couldn't tell you the last time that thing was mentioned ANYWHERE, and the little character christmas stage show in Tomorrowland. Very minimal decorating in Mickey's Toontown Fair, and that's about it!

I completely agree with you - It would be great to see more Christmas stuff to do at the Resort aired during the parade instead of all the Disney Channel concerts they fill space with - I just wish there actually WAS more Christmas stuff going on that they COULD show. One thing that would be nice is to have a very brief feature checking in from each Resort Hotel's lobbys before or after commercials. Each has a tree unique to its Resort - and many have really neat gingerbread displays. It's not a ride, or a park, or a show - but it's quiant and classy and a nice Christmas touch that people would probably enjoy.

Ringo8n24

Montu said:
One thing that would be nice is to have a very brief feature checking in from each Resort Hotel's lobbys before or after commercials. Each has a tree unique to its Resort - and many have really neat gingerbread displays. It's not a ride, or a park, or a show - but it's quiant and classy and a nice Christmas touch that people would probably enjoy.

See, that is what I was getting at. :) There is more to show...WL and GF lobbies could be beautiful to show during that time with short stories about the things the hotels do for Christmas. Did they even discuss Mickey's Very Merry Christmas events available to the guests?

Montu

Ringo8n24 said:
See, that is what I was getting at. :) There is more to show...WL and GF lobbies could be beautiful to show during that time with short stories about the things the hotels do for Christmas. Did they even discuss Mickey's Very Merry Christmas events available to the guests?

I do not believe they ever mentioned Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party - though they might have somewhere along in their brainwashing. Since the entire show was formatted as a commerical for the Walt Disney World Resort, it wouldn't particularly benefit them to advertise the event that ended on December 17th.

The decorations in the Resorts really are charming though. It's worth taking the time to just drive around and walk through the lobbys. Each definately has it's own flavor for the holiday season.

Ringo8n24

Montu said:
I do not believe they ever mentioned Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party - though they might have somewhere along in their brainwashing. Since the entire show was formatted as a commerical for the Walt Disney World Resort, it wouldn't particularly benefit them to advertise the event that ended on December 17th.

The decorations in the Resorts really are charming though. It's worth taking the time to just drive around and walk through the lobbys. Each definately has it's own flavor for the holiday season.

I am aware that MVMCP has ended by the time the parade officially airs on Christmas Day, but some families may be more inclined to begin planning for next year by seeing what they are missing at the holidays and some may need a year to save up to go during that time. :xmas:

Montu

Ringo8n24 said:
I am aware that MVMCP has ended by the time the parade officially airs on Christmas Day, but some families may be more inclined to begin planning for next year by seeing what they are missing at the holidays and some may need a year to save up to go during that time. :xmas:

Right - but one of the biggest highlights of Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party is seeing Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Parade at night. It actually does look a whole lot prettier too. In a sense, that is being "previewed" by watching the very same parade on tv in it's entirety. Aside from that, and the normal every day attractions - you get snow on Main Street which they show, and free christmas cookies and hot cocoa - about they only aspect of the party that they left out. Odd that they didn't show the holiday tag from Illuminations - It's less than four minutes. Definately not too long to air on a two hour program.

ISTCrew20

The show was for entertainment. I was entertained. I'm sure the majority of people on here were entertained. It's a tv special. I don't think it needs a scientific analysis.

The_CEO

Patrick, I'm gonna visit you this time when I come down in February... :) Last 2 times I visited I didn't seem to ever get to meet you. But now I get to buy popcorn from you :)

Congrats on the airtime btw.

Montu

ISTCrew20 said:
The show was for entertainment. I was entertained. I'm sure the majority of people on here were entertained. It's a tv special. I don't think it needs a scientific analysis.

True. Let's analize something else instead.

Oh, oh, I've got it! Let's analize how you got your head stuck behind a plaque at Mission: Space!

wannabeBelle

Montu said:
Right - but one of the biggest highlights of Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party is seeing Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Parade at night. It actually does look a whole lot prettier too. In a sense, that is being "previewed" by watching the very same parade on tv in it's entirety. Aside from that, and the normal every day attractions - you get snow on Main Street which they show, and free christmas cookies and hot cocoa - about they only aspect of the party that they left out. Odd that they didn't show the holiday tag from Illuminations - It's less than four minutes. Definately not too long to air on a two hour program.
I think a lot more could have been done woith EPCOT. Between the Lights of Winter Arches, the Holiday tree,the Candlelight Processional Santa in every country etc. I think they overlooked a big part of what I go to Disney for in December. Not to mention all of the entertainment doing some form of holiday songs. I know Off Kilter did Silent Night and We Three Kings of Orient Are in a rocked out format. I dont mind Disney selling Disney but I dont even think they did that particularly well this year!!! Disney is amazing especially during the holidays, so they should show it off a bit more!!! Belle

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Montu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISTCrew20

True. Let's analize something else instead.

Bottom line is love, like or hate it, everyone here WATCHED it, and that was the goal. For the many others that did, information was given. As far as entertainment, I agree with Belle that this is so much more that could have been highlighted while we're doing the infomercial. This year was also nothing new from recent years, possibly more entertaining.

Aren't we the ones that want more WDW infomercials on Disney Channel to give us our periodic fixes?

Anyway, Happy Holidays everyone...plan on a visit next year for the first weekend in Dec. and you might see yourself on TV as well. :xmas:

Montu

wannabeBelle said:
I think a lot more could have been done woith EPCOT. Between the Lights of Winter Arches, the Holiday tree,the Candlelight Processional Santa in every country etc. I think they overlooked a big part of what I go to Disney for in December. Not to mention all of the entertainment doing some form of holiday songs. I know Off Kilter did Silent Night and We Three Kings of Orient Are in a rocked out format. I dont mind Disney selling Disney but I dont even think they did that particularly well this year!!! Disney is amazing especially during the holidays, so they should show it off a bit more!!! Belle

You know, what's really funny here is that most everyone that has replied to this thread has things to add that they feel would have made the broadcast better or stronger - yet no one really argued back that "it was fine the way it was." Well, except the ISTCkid, but that was to be expected.

Thing is - if you have thread with that many people giving opinions - I mean it's up to what - six or seven pages already? How did Disney drop the ball so far with this year's show?

It'd be most interesting to see what a random selection of "non-obessed" Disney fans thought of the parade - to see if they shared a similar sentiment. My friend in California called me after he watched it to say how awful he thought it was. Now - he disliked it far more than myself - but the reasons he gave were the same ones I and a few others mentioned about the awful "celebrities" and all the teeny boppers and more commerical than Christmas. I really wonder if Disney turned more people off to Walt Disney World with this than they turned on to it.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Montu said:
You know, what's really funny here is that most everyone that has replied to this thread has things to add that they feel would have made the broadcast better or stronger - yet no one really argued back that "it was fine the way it was." Well, except the ISTCkid, but that was to be expected.

Thing is - if you have thread with that many people giving opinions - I mean it's up to what - six or seven pages already? How did Disney drop the ball so far with this year's show?

It'd be most interesting to see what a random selection of "non-obessed" Disney fans thought of the parade - to see if they shared a similar sentiment. My friend in California called me after he watched it to say how awful he thought it was. Now - he disliked it far more than myself - but the reasons he gave were the same ones I and a few others mentioned about the awful "celebrities" and all the teeny boppers and more commerical than Christmas. I really wonder if Disney turned more people off to Walt Disney World with this than they turned on to it.[/QUOTE]

Naah, we just have short memories. This same discussion was held after last year's parade, and the year before that. If anything, general feelings are that this telecast is a bit better than the last few years.

Lets face it, we all still watched it to get our Disney fix, we will watch it next year....bottom line, bad Disney is better than no Disney. Bring on those green army men! :eek:

donsullivan

Premium Member
ISTCrew20 said:

Finally a voice of reason in this sea of whine.

The parade broadcast on Christmas Day has always been about advertising for WDW and it always will be. It's about giving you a small taste of all that's new and upcoming, mixed in with a broad range of entertainment, a little silliness and a parade. Let's be realistic here, if they made any of the people here fully happy with what they saw, they'd make another 1 million unhappy with what they saw. There goal is to have a little bit of everything so that there is something for everyone. That's how you build a mass audience TV show like that. It's targetted at every potential new or ocassional visitor their might be, not the die hard who is going no matter what they put on that show, and for whom nothing they showed was new.

For those who are complaining about the aerial footage of the MK showing 2k lagoon and sky ride "SO WHAT!!". What is the big deal about using stock footage in a commercial transition like that? Would you rather complain that the ticket prices where raised because they hired a helicopter to go up and shoot 60 seconds of footage so you wouldn't have to see 2K Lagoon on Christmas Day.

Let's get real here folks. (SOAPBOX WARNING) This board is turning into nothing but complainers who want Walt Disney World to become a museum in which nothing ever changes and everything must match their tastes exactly or it's wrong. I personally like the fact that thing are constantly changing; it's what keeps it fresh and new. (END SOAPBOX WARNING)

General commentary of 'I'm not sure I liked that and here's why' is fine but it's moved way past that. God help the new person coming here for some help in planning a first trip, they'd think the place was a dump that's all screwed up and nobody should go there ever again.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against a good debate but does it always have to take such a negative tone?

wannabeBelle

I am trying not to be negative here and I hope I havent come off that way. I actually adore Disney at Christmas and think that they could simply showcase Disney better than they are doing. I can tell you I didnt even notice the 20K lagoon thing!! Then again, I dont usually get caught up in little stuff like that. I was just thinking how cool it would be to showcase other stuff say the group Jump 5 ( who I actually like BTW) doing a cool Christmas number ( very upbeat, complete with gymnastics!!) but do it under the Lights of Winter Arches in EPCOT!!!!! I think that would be so awesome!!! Then again I Am sometimes very easily amused so I dont know if that would please everyone, but I think it would showcase Disney's holiday variety better than they did. Belle

chris15358

Exp Ever Train Cars

Did anyone notice the drawings and models they showed during the parade of the Expedition Everest train cars? It looked as though the engine car was going to have 2 rows of seats in it. Anyone else see that?

donsullivan

Premium Member
chris15358 said:
Did anyone notice the drawings and models they showed during the parade of the Expedition Everest train cars? It looked as though the engine car was going to have 2 rows of seats in it. Anyone else see that?

Here's the model from the show. As I recall from many of the descriptions of the attraction, I think this one is the last car in the train.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom