So I'm watching the Christmas parade on TV...

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
While I can certainly read the sarcasm, and even understand it, I personally don't have a problem with it. That's what all of television is about these days. It just so happens as with most things that Disney does, they happen to do it more, and better, than everyone else.

aimster said:
And I love how they make you think the whole thing is live. Yeah it's sunny in Orlando today.... NOT! It's cold and raining! LOL!

Okay I'm done ranting. Off to go watch the rest of the parade. :lol: :xmas:

They never say it's live.

MouseMadness

I am LOOOOOOOOOVING the commercials!! Especially the one with the dogs set to "So this is Love" :lol: I dunno why that made me giggle so much... I had tears rolling down my cheeks. :eek: :lol:

xfkirsten

Well, I've just caught the last half hour or so since I got home from work - still gotta go back and watch the rest of it on tape. One thing I noticed off hand was that Jump 5 did the same song as last year. I do like them, but I think they should have sung a different song. Yes, I know that "Welcome" is the theme song for Parade of Dreams, but it still felt old to me.

The other thing I noticed is that it seems like they're reusing some of the same numbers, in particular FoLK and Tarzan Rocks. It would be nice to see more new material in the parade, not a rehash of the same stuff.

General Grizz

xfkirsten said:
Well, I've just caught the last half hour or so since I got home from work - still gotta go back and watch the rest of it on tape. One thing I noticed off hand was that Jump 5 did the same song as last year. I do like them, but I think they should have sung a different song. Yes, I know that "Welcome" is the theme song for Parade of Dreams, but it still felt old to me.

The other thing I noticed is that it seems like they're reusing some of the same numbers, in particular FoLK and Tarzan Rocks. It would be nice to see more new material in the parade, not a rehash of the same stuff.
Yeah. . . Tower of Terror (Hello, George Lopez?!). . . Mission Space. . .

GREAT to see the WDI segment. (ABC likes Imagineers, NOT Eisner :rolleyes: ) - which INCLUDED (half-second long) FOOTAGE of Horizons, Country Bear Jamboree, and other favorites. :D

Kinda mad seeing BEAR with KIDS during CHRISTMAS and not visiting Country Bear Christmas Special. . . grrr.

Wilt Dasney

HennieBogan1966 said:
It is the job of any company to hype and market its product. You people (and you know who you are), have got to get over this problem you have with CAPITALISM.

No; they don't have to.

Living in a free-market society doesn't obligate anyone to sit back and smile at a string of disjointed plugs that add nothing to the program. The parade itself is a giant promo for WDW. Why not leave it at that instead of seeing how many other random "But wait, theeeeeere's more..." moments they can cram in?

There's marketing and there's whoring, in my opinion. Using parade to show what a great, fun place WDW is simply through what the eyes can see--marketing. Saying "and by the way, you can catch Stitch every Saturday morning right here and every day over on Disney"--whoring. Giving in-depth previews of what DL and WDW have to offer on Sunday night--marketing. Mentioning how your family can enjoy a Magical Gathering on-property for as low as $200 a night--whoring.

You can show the audience what you have to offer without beating them over the head with it in a crass and tacky way. There is a difference.

aimster

Original Poster
I'm just curious, if it is Jump 5 you're talking about, why do you think they're awful?
They just seem cheezy to me. I outgrew that teenybopper bubblegum stuff years ago. Then again, this is coming from a person who listens to artists like The Cure, The Smiths/Morrissey, Rammstein... not the "happiest" music. I guess I'm just cynical when it comes to the music I like. Jump 5 was just too sugary for me. But if you like them, more power to ya.

Hey, what the heck was that song that Latin guy sang? Didn't understand a word since it was all in Spanish. Only thing he said that I understood was "Thank you" at the end! LOL! He had a nice voice though... and I liked his guitar!

Plus, I don't know why you only recognized Julie Andrews, but I saw many familiar faces (i.e. Disney Channel Stars) and more that I recognized.
Well considering I really haven't watched Disney Channel since they pulled the plug on Vault Disney... I had no clue who any of them were. Oh I did recognize Rodney Carrington (from the show "Rodney"). I've been a fan of his comedy for years as he's been a regular on he Bob & Tom show. Oh and of course John Stamos (I remember when he was "Blackie" on General Hospital EONS ago). Other than that... I was completely clueless. Only thing I remember that Raven girl from was when she was on The Cosby Show when she was like 2 or 3.

Oh and Grizz... good point about Bear not going to see the Country Bear Christmas show! How rude! How could he pass up his "cousins" like that?

wannabeBelle

SpongeScott said:
To the die-hard Disney fan--like most of us on here--you would notice the old footage, the subs in the lagoon, etc. To the average WDW goer, they won't notice that stuff, but it will get them pumped up for another trip. It's a great PR/propoganda tool.

As for Mickey and Shaq, yes the game came on right afterwards and it was a great lead in. Disney owns ABC, ABC has the television rights to the NBA, it's a huge game, so why not? Some Shaq fan might have just become endowed with Mickey Mouse because Mickey was in a commercial/lead-in with Shaq.

As, for Patrick, WTG!! *thumbs*
I agree with you SpongeScott!!! It really isnt all that bad, I think. Id appreciate a little longer cuts on some of the parade sequences ( not popping in and out so quick) and for goodness sakes PLEASE Calm down on the commercials!!!! It seems like every 5 minutes there was a commercial segment!!!! I happen to dig Jump5 ( Love Beauty & The Beast) and I dont have any problem with them plugging the ABC stars. Just makes good business sense to me, but all those commercials were just downright annoying!!!
Hey Patrick and Tifani!!!! Looking good!!! Belle

wannabeBelle

MouseMadness said:
I am LOOOOOOOOOVING the commercials!! Especially the one with the dogs set to "So this is Love" :lol: I dunno why that made me giggle so much... I had tears rolling down my cheeks. :eek: :lol:
Me as well!!! I just thought it was the funniest thing I had seen in a long time!!! THIS is a commercial worth seeing!!! All of the windex ones and other stuff I could have really done without. Belle

xfkirsten

Going back and watching the stuff I missed while I was at work...

...glad to see DL's "A Christmas Fantasy" parade getting so much attention! I've always liked it much better than MVMCP, so I'm glad to see it get some love! :)

Atta83

Watched it loved it, just wish more parade was shown and not the ridiculus commercials. I mean I am sure there are things that were in the parade that we didnt see cause they got cut out...:(

ISTCrew20

aimster said:
Hey, what the heck was that song that Latin guy sang? Didn't understand a word since it was all in Spanish. Only thing he said that I understood was "Thank you" at the end! LOL! He had a nice voice though... and I liked his guitar!

It was nice though, to have a big star from a different country. Tifani and I (and the people standing around us) had no idea who he was, but we still enjoyed ourselves. Returning to school, I was informed that Juanes is like the Spanish Justin Timberlake.

The dog commercial was awesome too. I didn't mind the advertising. Disney parks have done awesome this year, and are going to be incredible over the next year, so Disney has every right to show off what they have and are planning to do.

ToTBellHop

I thought Jump 5 singing "Welcome" was fine, given that they were standing around the float from the Parade of Dreams, although I do think if they had pointed out that it was the new theme song for the parade, it wouldn't have seemed as repetitive to sing it two years in a row.

Kinda sad to hear them announce Space Mountain as coming back Fall 2005...guess I can hope for soft openings in August :) I would think they would have the Remember soundtrack by now...why show the new Disneyland fireworks w/ Wishes music in the background? I kinda wish they had spent a little more time talking about the new stuff, rather than try to make it sound like there was a lot by cramming it into a confusing one minute description from Gonzo...and when are they going to release Disneyland's 50th anniversary vacation planning video?!

dxwwf3

The best thing about the show BY FAR was the dog commercial.

I also liked the promos for Disneyland with Gonzo and the WDI segment. The show really wasn't as bad as it has been in years past. The Disneyland fireworks for next year have me fired up and it was great to see a few more shots of Expedition Everest.
Not to mention a nice little cameo from S.I.R. :lol:

And for the record I'll take Kelly Ripa over Mariah Carey anyday ;)

Ra.G.e

Miserable

I can't help but add my two cents to the debate going on about the parade. As FL Residents with newly expired Seasonal Passes, my family and I spent a lot of time at DW this year. We all figured that a wonderful way to close out our Disney experience was to watch the Disney Christmas Parade while winding down from a busy X-mas morning...

Lo and behold, all we get in a two hour commercial for Disney/Magical Gatherings/etc... All that was missing was Krissa and her Top 7 Attractions. I don't even remember much of what they showed of the ACTUAL PARADE. I think it amounted to ten minutes of footage that hardly mattered when bookended by Disney contract performers and American Idol "talent". Note the quotation marks.

After an hour, the kids were bored with the same old banter between doddering geezer Regis and dime-store mannequin Kelly. Kermit and Miss Piggy should've hosted the whole thing.

We ended up flipping it off and watching classic Mickey Mouse Club episodes from the new DVD.
IN STORES NOW!

Anyhoo -- Merry Christmas.

General Grizz

Ra.G.e said:
I can't help but add my two cents to the debate going on about the parade. As FL Residents with newly expired Seasonal Passes, my family and I spent a lot of time at DW this year. We all figured that a wonderful way to close out our Disney experience was to watch the Disney Christmas Parade while winding down from a busy X-mas morning...

Lo and behold, all we get in a two hour commercial for Disney/Magical Gatherings/etc... All that was missing was Krissa and her Top 7 Attractions. I don't even remember much of what they showed of the ACTUAL PARADE. I think it amounted to ten minutes of footage that hardly mattered when bookended by Disney contract performers and American Idol "talent". Note the quotation marks.

After an hour, the kids were bored with the same old banter between doddering geezer Regis and dime-store mannequin Kelly. Kermit and Miss Piggy should've hosted the whole thing.

We ended up flipping it off and watching classic Mickey Mouse Club episodes from the new DVD.
IN STORES NOW!

Anyhoo -- Merry Christmas.
Yes! Mickey Mouse Club DVDs!

Wally Boag is on Episode 2, Disc 1 friends, now THAT'S a way to celebrate Disneyland's 50th Anniversary! :sohappy:

Gotta love the Disney when storytelling oughtweighed the profit-motive. That's where Disney came from, after all. :)

AEfx

HMGhost13 said:
ugh bring back the live stuff...on;y gripe (besides World of Warcraft not working) that i have today.
LOL. I wondered why so many people were on SWG this morning.

AEfx

xfkirsten said:

That wasn't a rehash. I did the filming last year as a FoLK performer. This year I was a parade stilt walker in the Animal Kingdom Unit. Remember last year the Tarzan and FoLK numbers were seperate from each other. I can assure you the choreography was much different.

xfkirsten

Mary Poppins said:
That wasn't a rehash. I did the filming last year as a FoLK performer. This year I was a parade stilt walker in the Animal Kingdom Unit. Remember last year the Tarzan and FoLK numbers were seperate from each other. I can assure you the choreography was much different.

Yes, I did recall them being separate, I'm just saying it felt like a rehash putting those two back into the parade. IMHO they should have found something else to showcase there, because it felt like a rehash.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom