Snow White to Close Thursday, May 31

captainkidd

Exactly. I'm agreeing they're popular. But "among the most popular things at the resort"?

I'd have to disagree.

Exactly. Walk around World Showcase at Epcot. Snow White is in Germany throughout the day. I don't think I've ever seen more than maybe 30 people waiting in line at a time. Same goes for Aladdin and Jasmine in Morocco. Imagine if Test Track only had 30 people waiting in line all the time????

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I know I represent a very small minority on this board. But I also know I represent a much larger part of the general population when I say that these experiences are a very important part of why we go to WDW.
I would agree. When I think back to the most memorable stories we have about WDW a good deal of them include interactions with the characters. I see them as an essential part of the disney experience.

Popular? Yes.

But I don't think they're anywhere close to some of the more popular activities at the parks. Each day I'd say the vast majority of rides and attractions see more people than even the most popular of the meet and greets.
As a whole I would believe that you are correct but is still does not diminish the importance, popularity or demand for the meet n greets. When my girls we younger, we did weekend trips centered solely around meet n greets.

Of course they are.

Yoda - I didn't say they weren't popular. I'm just saying, you can't compare an hour long wait at a character meet and greet to an hour long wait at Space Mountain. Far more people clearly ride Space and Splash Mountain every day than wait to meet a character.
I never compared the wait of a meet n greet to any other attraction. I posted the wait times simply to show that people are willing to wait as long or longer for character interaction then they would for an E-ticket attraction.

lebeau

Exactly. Walk around World Showcase at Epcot. Snow White is in Germany throughout the day. I don't think I've ever seen more than maybe 30 people waiting in line at a time. Same goes for Aladdin and Jasmine in Morocco. Imagine if Test Track only had 30 people waiting in line all the time????

That's because people are lined up for the meet and greets they know about at the MK. Obviously the Epcot crowd (especially those touring WS) are less inclined to queue up for meet and greets.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Did they not sacrifice a meet and greet space for the new dwarf’s coaster?

No, they sacrificed empty space with nothing in it.
Actually in a round about sort of way the dwarfs coaster did replace a meet n greet. The original published FL expansion plans called for a huge princess meet n greet where the coaster will now go. This created a bit of an uproar and the Princess meet n greet was moved to the Snow White building and we got the coaster.

http://parkthoughts.com/2011/01/18/changes-to-wdws-fantasyland-expansio/

lebeau

Actually in a round about sort of way the dwarfs coaster did replace a meet n greet. The original published FL expansion plans called for a huge princess meet n greet where the coaster will now go. This created a bit of an uproar and the Princess meet n greet was moved to the Snow White building and we got the coaster.

Hold on! Those facts don't support the anti-M&G agenda many on this board are pushing! How dare you, sir!

GLaDOS

Hold on! Those facts don't support the anti-M&G agenda many on this board are pushing! How dare you, sir!

Yea. I know what the original plans were for the FLE. But saying the mine train replace a meet and greet that never existed in the first place is a bit of a stretch. Do you consider Pirates and Big Thunder as replacements for WRE?

And there was an uproar over the meet and greet's loss? I wasn't here then, but other places I read seemed awfully happy about it.

pmaljr

Some of you folks are hilarious. Low budget carnival ride? LOL! People go to theme parks to ride attractions, not stand in a line to meet Santa Claus. You folks are paying $85 to go meet Santa, he's just dressed as a princess. Now, that's a low budget, side-show attraction.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Some of you folks are hilarious. Low budget carnival ride? LOL! People go to theme parks to ride attractions, not stand in a line to meet Santa Claus. You folks are paying $85 to go meet Santa, he's just dressed as a princess. Now, that's a low budget, side-show attraction.
Should we shut down the restaurants to? After all people do not go there to eat and they are and wasting valuable attraction space, and don't get me started on all the space wasted on retail and bathrooms.

redsfan4life

I understand that the M&G is in demand just not understanding why SWSA is not being left operating until Mine Coaster was opening , or at least closer to it opening too much time in between with no Snow White . First attraction I remember riding on my first visit in 1977 as a 4yr old

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yea. I know what the original plans were for the FLE. But saying the mine train replace a meet and greet that never existed in the first place is a bit of a stretch. Do you consider Pirates and Big Thunder as replacements for WRE?

And there was an uproar over the meet and greet's loss? I wasn't here then, but other places I read seemed awfully happy about it.
Had the original plans gone through we would have had the old Snow White attraction and a new gigantic princess hug and shove assembly line. Because of the change we will now be getting what looks to be a much better Snow White attraction and a scaled down meet n greet. Sure it is arguing semantics but I consider that a net gain.

Meet n Greets are not popular on any of the boards but the boards represent a small fractions of Disney's fan base. The vast majority of Disney's clientele loves the things. I do not care for them myself but understand that many, many others do. What I want is not always the best thing for everyone else.

lebeau

My local amusement park has a dark ride which is more sophisticated than Snow White. Several local fairs have dark rides that are roughly on par. Nothing against those who enjoyed the ride, but no one in my family is a fan of it.

Kids don't care that these character meet and greets are low-tech experiences. To them, seeing someone they really believe is Cinderella, Mickey Mouse or Winnie the Pooh is a (I hate to use the word) magical experience. It's not remotely like going to the mall and getting your picture taken with Santa.

If it were, I could save my self about 4 grand this year.

lebeau

Had the original plans gone through we would have had the old Snow White attraction and a new gigantic princess hug and shove assembly line. Because of the change we will now be getting what looks to be a much better Snow White attraction and a scaled down meet n greet. Sure it is arguing semantics but I consider that a net gain.

Meet n Greets are not popular on any of the boards but the boards represent a small fractions of Disney's fan base. The vast majority of Disney's clientele loves the things. I do not care for them myself but understand that many, many others do. What I want is not always the best thing for everyone else.

If only everyone here realized the truth of this statement!

IWant2GoNow

Well crud, I'm booking for June 1st-8th. Oh well, not too big of a loss for me. Would have been nice to ride it one last time though.

pmaljr

Should we shut down the restaurants to? After all people do not go there to eat and they are and wasting valuable attraction space, and don't get me started on all the space wasted on retail and bathrooms.

Don't change the subject. No one is replacing a ride with a restaurant or bathrooms. They are replacing it with a Santa Claus style meet and greet and you know it. The biggest problem I have with it is that they could wait until the new one is open and they aren't. Replace it with a real ride, for goodness sakes.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Don't change the subject. No one is replacing a ride with a restaurant or bathrooms. They are replacing it with a Santa Claus style meet and greet and you know it. The biggest problem I have with it is that they could wait until the new one is open and they aren't. Replace it with a real ride, for goodness sakes.
I'll go back to the point I have been making all along, just because you do not like it does not make it wrong. The average WDW guests wants meet n greets and that is the market segment WDW cares about.

captainkidd

That gave me a chuckle.

I agree with the issue being closing the ride down before the new one opens. I said it yesterday - Fantasyland is already a nightmare when it gets flooded with people. Just gonna be that much more crowded.

pmaljr

My local amusement park has a dark ride which is more sophisticated than Snow White. Several local fairs have dark rides that are roughly on par. Nothing against those who enjoyed the ride, but no one in my family is a fan of it.

Kids don't care that these character meet and greets are low-tech experiences. To them, seeing someone they really believe is Cinderella, Mickey Mouse or Winnie the Pooh is a (I hate to use the word) magical experience. It's not remotely like going to the mall and getting your picture taken with Santa.

If it were, I could save my self about 4 grand this year.

Yes, but in reality it is the same. The only reason it's different than Santa for them is because Santa's a man, they see Santa every year at the mall, and because they can dress up. The process is exactly the same. You wait in line for an hour and then you get to talk to Santa for 1 minute and get your picture taken. That's the truth. Once again, the biggest problem I have is that they could wait until the new one is completed to do this and they're not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom