Small Jungle Cruise Update

Fun2BFree

Let's hope they ship over more managers from Disneyland USA who have higher standards, and assign them to the older areas of WDW like the Magic Kingdom.

I would suggest flying them over. It would save having to go through Panama. :lookaroun

Seriously though, it's good to see that these managers are taking DL-style philosophy with them rather than being complacent with WDW's dessicated versions.

WDWFREAK53

I just want to give props to some of the skippers out there. (One in particular).

I can't, for the life of me, remember his name (may be Mike).

The entire ride was different...with only a handful of the "standard" jokes.

If he's reading this thread...I'll give some of the terms he used...but won't ruin the jokes for people.

He incorporated Mickey Mouse, Britney Spears, Lost, It's a Small World, and "Whizzing"

He also encouraged people to take pictures of him...

If this is you...thank you for breathing new life into the Jungle Cruise for me :)

I just want to give props to some of the skippers out there. (One in particular).

I can't, for the life of me, remember his name (may be Mike).

The entire ride was different...with only a handful of the "standard" jokes.

If he's reading this thread...I'll give some of the terms he used...but won't ruin the jokes for people.

He incorporated Mickey Mouse, Britney Spears, Lost, It's a Small World, and "Whizzing"

He also encouraged people to take pictures of him...

If this is you...thank you for breathing new life into the Jungle Cruise for me :)

I took a cruise a couple weeks back and had the best skipper on board since the 80s. Great attitude, good mix of standard jokes and ad-libs, and read/played to the audience perfectly. It was the same fun journey I remember from my youth. I made a point to compliment him on his spiel when exiting. Overall I would say things are looking up for this classic attraction. Great job, Chris if you're out there reading this!

VT GAL

Jungle Cruise was AWESOME today!

There was a ton of mist in the Amazon, and we had an AMAZING skipper! I swear to goodness it was the best cruise I have ever taken! Our whole boat was laughing and jumping! It was fun to see a skipper that oooozed personality! And we exited to a Kungaloosh and a Go Hokies...Awesome....Just Awesome... :)

PuertoRekinSam

Haunted Mansion won't get the overlay due to the fact that WDW is more of a global market, while DL has more of a 'local' market which is more understanding of an attraction being down for a few weeks twice a year for an overlay.

CBJ's overlay was dropped due to cost associated with music rights fees.

Finally, Dan has been with Disney much longer then his father. Dan started his career in 1981 on the college program(27 years). His father worked for Disney only 16 years.

WDW1974

Haunted Mansion won't get the overlay due to the fact that WDW is more of a global market, while DL has more of a 'local' market which is more understanding of an attraction being down for a few weeks twice a year for an overlay.

Internet excuse/CM myth/urban legend ... in other words, bull.

It won't get the overlay because WDW execs don't want it. Period.

I've heard this often online yet never found anyone at Disney (and I know quite a few people) who can verify it. I'm very tempted to just say it's another rumor that has become 'fact' because it appears online ... but since I don't know for sure, I won't.

Either way, though, it ultimately saves Disney money by not changing out shows. ... There was a time when Disney rotated three shows through Grizzly Hall annually.

Finally, Dan has been with Disney much longer then his father. Dan started his career in 1981 on the college program(27 years). His father worked for Disney only 16 years.

Really? I didn't realize Dan was in his late 40s or older now ... Lee isn't exactly ancient himself. ... But either way, Lee came in to Disney as a big time hospitality exec (with time at major companies, both Hilton and Marriott) and always had high level positions with Disney ... it certainly did nothing but help Dan's career.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

While that might have been a contributing cause, it was by no means unworkable. There is plenty of Christmas music in the public domain that could have been used.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

It won't get the overlay because WDW execs don't want it. Period.r.

Well of course it's because they don't want it. But there is a REASON they don't want it, isn't there?

SirGoofy

Original Poster
Jungle Cruise was AWESOME today!

There was a ton of mist in the Amazon, and we had an AMAZING skipper! I swear to goodness it was the best cruise I have ever taken! Our whole boat was laughing and jumping! It was fun to see a skipper that oooozed personality! And we exited to a Kungaloosh and a Go Hokies...Awesome....Just Awesome... :)

That would be yours truly. :D And yes the mist was incredible today. It usually gets like that on humid days like today.

And if I remember correctly, you had the other Skipper Sean for your skipper. One of my very best friends.

I also wanna give a shout out to SeaBreeze who came and road my boat today.:wave:

VT GAL

Sir Goofy, I totally thought that was you!!! :)

I have never seen the mist like that before! It was also cool to ride after reading your report.

We are still talking and laughing about Sean! Please let him know that we though he was awesome!!!

Shelley

EPCOT Explorer

Ya 2005, wasn't it great? DL's 50th, no HSM, etc.

It was a simpler time, a better time.
:cry::lol::lookaroun

Ah, 2005...Last year for TLS, the Wand still there, the Castle had gold crap all over it.:lookaroun

(I liked it)
That would be yours truly. :D And yes the mist was incredible today. It usually gets like that on humid days like today.

And if I remember correctly, you had the other Skipper Sean for your skipper. One of my very best friends.

I also wanna give a shout out to SeaBreeze who came and road my boat today.:wave:

Sir Goofy, I totally thought that was you!!! :)

I have never seen the mist like that before! It was also cool to ride after reading your report.

We are still talking and laughing about Sean! Please let him know that we though he was awesome!!!

Shelley

So cool you got to meet up!

SeaBreeze

Darn, now I can't make any comments about having a disappointing cruise because my skipper was subpar :lookaroun Totally kidding, you were definitely awesome. It's not often that I hear new jokes and lines on JC anymore! Rachel and I were definitely using some as a catchphrases throughout the day. Plus it was super fun to meet someone from here..even though we almost wound up in the wrong Sean's boat haha :wave:

Oh I was also super happy about the bathing elephants...they were working on them during my PI and it's always fun to see things in action after some TLC

Phonedave

It won't get the overlay because WDW execs don't want it. Period.

Having never seen the DL overlay, I don't know if I am happy about this or not.

As much as I like TNBC, I for one (maybe the only one) would like to see WDW move away from movie & character tie-ins for a while. Yes, we got EE, and thats great. But we also got Buzz Lightyear, Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Stitch all over the place, and even to a lesser externt Kim Possible.

Most, if not all, of those attractions could have been done without the movie tie in. Of course SOME movie ties are OK. Without them we would not have Snow White, Peter Pan, the Tea Cups, and Splash Mountain.

In fact, now that I am typing this, I really like Splash Mountain's approach. There is a move tie in there, but its an aspect of the attraction, not the attraction itself. If you were to strip all refrences to Uncle Remus out of SM, you would still have a generic flume. Not exactly a super ride, but still a ride. Take all of the Nemo out of the Finding Nemo attraction in the Living Seas, and what do you have - a tunnel.

So I guess the point of all this is, no matter what the root cause for not bringing the TNBC overlay to WDW, it may be something I am happy with.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom