Small Jungle Cruise Update

CBOMB

I had heard as far back as 2006 that JC was going to get a substantial upgrade, including adding some of the effects used at HKDL.

But that was back when Space Mountain was headed down a lot sooner and for a lot larger redo.

On a personal note, it's nice to see you around CBOMB!:wave:
It's good to be back here in the Disney fantasy World rather than the real World.

jedimaster1227

What do you mean?

Lets just say paint jobs aren't the only thing Dan will be pushing forward at Epcot...

This and that. All good.

You know I completely agree! :D

I thought WDW1974 mentioned that the new VP of Epcot is a flake and to not expect much of a change. More of a Brad Rex than a Macphee.

He's much like his father from what I've been told. But I've also been given some great reports on his work in the new role already, so from everything I've got, he's imagined as more of a Jim MacPhee than Brad Rex. I'll reserve my own judgement until I get the chance to meet him...

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I'm assuming that AD/LIB is in charge of the monologue the skippers have?
Either way, WDW could use some DLP attitude on the Jungle Cruise. The upkeep is a great step forward, but that would really MAKE the attraction.

Atomicmickey

Can I just wave and say it's nice to see a thread that has lots
of positive statements and optimism!:wave:

Sounds like there are lots of little things happening that are good,
and can hopefully snowball into bigger good things. Great to hear.
Share more details if you can!:)

SirGoofy

Original Poster
He should put in a good word for the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay at HM... :rolleyes:

It's never gonna happen.:brick:

I'm assuming that AD/LIB is in charge of the monologue the skippers have?
Either way, WDW could use some DLP attitude on the Jungle Cruise. The upkeep is a great step forward, but that would really MAKE the attraction.

Ad/Lib stands for Adventureland/Liberty Square attractions.

What do you mean by DLP?

Can I just wave and say it's nice to see a thread that has lots
of positive statements and optimism!:wave:

Sounds like there are lots of little things happening that are good,
and can hopefully snowball into bigger good things. Great to hear.
Share more details if you can!:)

Yes, it's nice to have something, even as small as this is, to be happy about.

SirGoofy

Original Poster
He's much like his father from what I've been told. But I've also been given some great reports on his work in the new role already, so from everything I've got, he's imagined as more of a Jim MacPhee than Brad Rex. I'll reserve my own judgement until I get the chance to meet him...

People really seem to like him over there. One of my old managers raved about him, so I'm inclined to think we got a good one in Dan.

disneykw

Now what brought these changes about. We recently got a new manager straight from Disneyland, who was appalled by the state of Jungle Cruise and the rest of Adventureland, and pretty much pushed through these updates/small refurb.

Seriously? They let it come to that? That is pretty embarrassing on WDW's part. Can't we replace all area managers with people from DL? :lol:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
That is correct. I wasn't thrilled with the change in leadership ... I'm still not, but I have heard some good things about the basics at EPCOT.

My only 'issue' with Danny is simply the fact he has benefitted greatly from nepotism. You don't get up the ladder as fast as he has when you don't have Lee for a Daddy.

But as long as he does a good job, who cares? Nepotism is a fact of life in America.

I wish him nothing but the best at the job and hope I can sing his praises down the road. Now ... it's way too early to judge.

If you'll forgive an off-track comment, the bolded quote makes it seem like you think nepotism is more of a "fact of life" in American than anywhere else. My experience is the opposite - while nepotism happens in the US, it happens more in Asia, Eastern Europe, South America, and with about the same frequency in Western Europe and Canada.

TP2000

Now what brought these changes about. We recently got a new manager straight from Disneyland, who was appalled by the state of Jungle Cruise and the rest of Adventureland, and pretty much pushed through these updates/small refurb.

That's good news! As a regular Disneyland visitor (bi-weekly), and occasional WDW visitor (once a year), I can't help but notice that the older WDW attractions just look rather tired and worn out. It's stuff I can never quite put my finger on (but you probably summed it up with the painting and freshening and tune ups), but the older WDW rides just look like they are, well, old. Compare them to the Disneyland counterparts, which are often even older than the younger WDW cousins, and the Disneyland rides just look fresher and crisper and better cared for.

Disneyland Animatronics seem to be more fluid and have a wide range of motion, versus WDW animatronics that seem to just sort of shake or herky-jerk through a few basic motions. And paint and special effects seem to be brighter and more sparkling at Disneyland.

Let's hope they ship over more managers from Disneyland USA who have higher standards, and assign them to the older areas of WDW like the Magic Kingdom.

Magicot

Well, I just got back from a Jungle shift, and have some nice little updates. And once I list them, I'll let you know where they came from.

-First of all the ride looks terrific. The best it's looked since I've been working there. The animated figures were painted to perfection with some exceptions, namely the elephant bathing pool.

-The props on the dock/queue were recently painted, and the entire area looks very good.

-A new fence has been erected around the queue near the water, which is really great for us skippers. Kids can no longer run a beeline to the river like they used to try and do.

-We also got our spider movement back. :D

I hope the manager continues his crusade, cuz it makes the Goof happy.:D

I also want to give a shout out to our WDI Head of Creative. Good job!
Thanks for the report, SirGoofy. As a current JC skipper, myself, I can't tell you how many time I've blocked small children from running into the river when I was working back-load position. Glad to hear they've made a fence there. Also, it's great to hear of all the cosmetic improvements to the Jungle. Every bit counts. I hope this DL manager you speak of brightens up more of Adventureland- especially the torches around the Sunshine Tree Terrace that have been snuffed out for far too long. Let's keep the ball rolling!

wild01ride

Have they added the topless amazonian women scene yet or has that fallen victim to the economy too?

Oh - I certainly hope that that part hasn't been dropped.

You know I'll be dropping my Guest Relations letter in the mail just to make sure!:lookaroun

:lol:

EPCOT Explorer

I suppose that a good thing.:D

And how is Mr. McPhee? Do we know any more of his new position?

hpyhnt 1000

That's good news! As a regular Disneyland visitor (bi-weekly), and occasional WDW visitor (once a year), I can't help but notice that the older WDW attractions just look rather tired and worn out. It's stuff I can never quite put my finger on (but you probably summed it up with the painting and freshening and tune ups), but the older WDW rides just look like they are, well, old. Compare them to the Disneyland counterparts, which are often even older than the younger WDW cousins, and the Disneyland rides just look fresher and crisper and better cared for.

Heh, generally because they are. And like you said, its not even anything major! Its just a bit of paint here, a new prop there; simple, overnight stuff! Maybe one day we'll get more park managers like the new JC one who understand that concept better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom