Slash and Burn ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
This is purely anecdotal, with no "hard facts" to back it up, but it's still true: :(

In walking through the parks (mostly the MK), I have heard many, many Guests complaining about the lack of food options, the "terrible Stitch ride," and the overall condition of FL and TT Fair. Many of these complaints mirror what the fans have said here, especially about the lack of decent attractions in FL. I can only report so much before I look like a troublemaker, and my dept. can't do much about it anyway. Plus, most Guests don't bother to take their complaints to GR. But Guests are noticing, and I'm hearing this stuff more and more frequently.

Great point. And I have said similar.

This isn't a matter of what us uber-fans think or feel. It's not even so much as even what the Joe Average APer feels.

But I've heard guests say all sorts of things ... sometimes I'll inspire it by saying something loud enough to be overheard while in a queue or on a monorail or in a jacuzzi ... other times, I'll just sit back and listen without ever adding a word.

But people at TDO and TDB should be concerned because folks are noticing all the same things that folks like us are complaining about ... and these are the folks who won't complain and won't write on a fan site, they'll simply not return and they'll discourage anyone in their life from visiting.

Someone in this thread referred to us as the canaries in the coal mine and that is true enough. But the fact remains if you go to WDW to simply observe, you'll hear plenty (a lot of crazy and entertaining dumb stuff too!)

Maybe the Internet is making them more savvy about what's available world-wide, and WDW is getting more repeat Guests from the DVC than they were expecting. :shrug:

The Internet has certainly been a much bigger factor than Disney anticpated. I actually tried to explain why ignoring Al Lutz's 'Promote Paul Pressler' campaign more than a decade ago and pretending it didn't exist was a wrong move ... Disney didn't start to take these sites seriously until 3-4 years ago ... way, way too late.

Anyway, only one thing can be done: if you really notice these issues yourself, go to GR and file a polite, informative complaint. Don't let them twist your words into something positive, because they're trained to do that. It makes the managers' jobs easier.

Just nicely point out facts: "We used to enjoy the food options here at the MK, but since the DDP, we can't get into any restaurants, and the counter service options are all the same greasy food. I remember when the MK used to have...can you bring it back?" etc.

This is the only way WDI and other departments will get the data they need to prove to the accountants that the investments are necessary.

I agree. But I also believe in taking up your issue face to face with leads/managers as well. That in your face, but polite, exchange helps solidify that you have an issue right now that needs to be addressed and that you aren't looking for a free dinner at Chef Mickey's later that night or free tickets to come back once you've gone home.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I seriously worry about the implications of the billions needed to start the Shanghai park for us in the States... things could get a whole lot worse.

First of all, despite yet another story 'planted' in what should be reputable media ... there is NO deal on Shanghai.

Will it happen? Disney sure as hell wants it. And I think Beijing does too, just more on its terms than what went down with HKDL.

But one thing won't affect another.

It's like saying DCA's multi-billion makeover has diverted funds from WDW. Not true at all.

It's not an either/or situation. Money and budgets get allocated based on the individual business units.

It's not like Disney can either build Ratatouille at DSP, Mansion at HKDL OR Monsters Doors Coaster at DHS. They can build all three (and will ... eventually).

And if/when Shanghai DL gets built it will be a kick-a$$ park ... a very different MK than others, but one much closer and fuller to DLP than to the very small scale (but wonderful) park on Lantau Island.

Mr.EPCOT

When I mention someone's name, I do so because I either want to state where my information came from or let people know that when I am getting information from folks at Disney that it isn't coming from busdrivers, boat captains, CPers and that strange smelling dude who always visits WDW on Sundays.

You know HIM?! :eek:

:lol:

I am so behind on this thread...

yankspy

The day the AC closed is truly a day that will live in infamy.
I've heard rumors that Joe Rohde is putting together a band of Mercenaries to reclaim the AC for it's many fans!

AYE!
The AC wasn't exactly the Arizona.:lol:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW1974
OK ... I can't help the fact I have connections. I can't help if that makes you or anyone else insecure.

It hardly makes me insecure. You have said that to others. We all have connections, some more that others. I have talked to at least one of the names you mentioned, I'm just not insecure enough to need to mention it especially every other post!

What can I say? Back to work ... plus I lose interest easily when people aren't getting it.

Oh, but they are getting it, many just refuse to concede their optimism to your cynical world view.

I always play well with others ... well, no I don't. But that's largely because I seem to threaten people and make them feel insecure (if it makes you feel any better the same thing happens in the real world often with people who make a whole lot more money than I do and who have a whole lot more power too!) and they respond by cheapshotting me and I don't just let it go (although I'm learning to).

^ :lol:You didn't need to write this last paragraph, I already knew this was the way your professional life is. I know you very well whether you know it or not.

I don't 'name drop' because I'm insecure. When I mention someone's name, I do so because I either want to state where my information came from or let people know that when I am getting information from folks at Disney that it isn't coming from busdrivers, boat captains, CPers and that strange smelling dude who always visits WDW on Sundays. Now, it may not make you insecure if I tell you I know folks like Joe Rohde, Richard Sherman or Michael Eisner ... but you have to be smart enough to realize that some people feel like if they lived 100 years more they could never meet any of the above, let alone speak with them multiple times one on one. So, yeah, I do think that makes some people feel insecure.

As to my cynical world view, well, guilty as charged. The world is largely a beautiful place filled with very ugly people ... I'm not all that up with people and have many reasons for feeling why I do but have no desire to discuss them here. And as for the world in general, anyone who has lived through the past decade and feels good about where we're at as a nation right now is more than high on pixie dust, I'd say. For the vast majority of people the past two years have been one roller coaster ride where you just keep going down.

As to your final 'red' comment, how well do you know me? Did we used to date? :eek:Or are you just one of my friends that's part of the magic of TWDC?

I don't like to conform. I like to stand out. But you should know that if you know me so well.

But I'm glad to know that you believe most people don't come here to praise Disney at all costs. That's what I was initially told when I came here. It does seem there's more critical thinkers here than I first thought.

There's still far too many management apologists in my mind. I would only ask of them what they really think they're accomplishing by doing so. Even if you're generally pleased by WDW now (obviously I am not) why tell Disney that? What incentive are you giving them to ever improve things and give you new and more exciting reasons to visit? That's why I don't get it. I love DL right now, but I'd rather criticize the areas that need work (and there are plenty ... like most of T-Land for instance) because I don't want Ed, Michael and the Anaheim 'leadership' team to believe they're pleasing me. I want them trying to earn my business every day!

Take it? I can more than take it. But I'd rather discuss Disney. I'm not all that interesting ... since you know me so well, you should know that ... or am I?
That is the statement that rubs me the wrong way. They should not be looking to others for a pat on the back. The incentive should come from them always wanting to do better even if the masses are throwing rose petals at their feet. If they are pleased at any point, then they are letting their foolish pride blind them. People in such high positions should never rest on their laurels. I would agree that they should look at the criticisms and judge for themselves if they are valid or not.

I am not saying that this is how they act because I do not know them. I am simply saying that the incentive to wow us should come from within. They should be giving people what they did not even expect or know that they wanted.

tirian

The AC wasn't exactly the Arizona.:lol:

That is the statement that rubs me the wrong way. They should not be looking to others for a pat on the back. The incentive should come from them always wanting to do better even if the masses are throwing rose petals at their feet. If they are pleased at any point, then they are letting their foolish pride blind them. People in such high positions should never rest on their laurels. I would agree that they should look at the criticisms and judge for themselves if they are valid or not.

I am not saying that this is how they act because I do not know them. I am simply saying that the incentive to wow us should come from within. They should be giving people what they did not even expect or know that they wanted.

That's how creative companies become successful. When the vision is lost for financial statements*, quality suffers because people aren't as motivated.

Example: The first three Star Wars films compared to the prequels.

*Of course, money is important too; you can't do anything without it. :D

WDW1974

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW1974
Now, it may not make you insecure if I tell you I know folks like Joe Rohde, Richard Sherman or Michael Eisner ...

Now that's cool.

Yes, it is. And he is a great guy with an incredible sense of humor (quite dirty at times) and a great memory for working with Walt back in the 60s.

And I can honestly say I know him far closer than either of the others mentioned. I actually have been his guest at a Disney music performance at the Hollywood Bowl and had him surprise me and my family by leaving tix to see Mary Poppins in London shortly after it opened.

It really es me off that Disney isn't taking advantage and using talents like Richard while they can still contribute. The man didn't lose his talent just because he's older!

jt04

That's how creative companies become successful. When the vision is lost for financial statements*, quality suffers because people aren't as motivated.

Example: The first three Star Wars films compared to the prequels.

*Of course, money is important too; you can't do anything without it. :D

I liked the prequels!

I rate them as III, I, VI, V, II, IV on my favorite to least favorite scale.

WDW1974

Original Poster
What incentive are you giving them to ever improve things and give you new and more exciting reasons to visit? That's why I don't get it. I love DL right now, but I'd rather criticize the areas that need work (and there are plenty ... like most of T-Land for instance) because I don't want Ed, Michael and the Anaheim 'leadership' team to believe they're pleasing me. I want them trying to earn my business every day!

Well said.

And in the 1970s and 80s and into the 90s, you could expect Disney to try and do their best to wow us without any incentive needed from sites like this ...

Now, they don't even fake it ... they know they aren't trying their hardest (or even trying at all) ... they know they aren't pushing to uphold the Disney Legacy.

That's why I can't stand to see fans gush over anything even things that Disney gets right in Orlando (few and far between these days but still ... ) or elsewhere (I almost want to take back my gushing praise of HKDL, not because my mind has changed, but I realize that Disney knows the park needs to grow and will be doing so).

Praising WDW and its management these days simply allows folks like Jay 'Souless' Rasulo, Al 'Rubberstamp' Weiss, Inoverherheadmeg Crofton, Erin 'My Daddy Built This Place' Wallace, Phil 'Magic Man' Holmes, Dan 'Do You Think I'd Have This Job If My Daddy Wasn't Lee' Cockerell, etc ... (sorry, running out of pithy nicknames) to continue to cut quality while raising prices.

I don't think that's what anyone here truly wants. So next time they want to gush over a new pin cart or churro stand, perhaps, they should step back and look at the big picture.

jt04

I don't think that's what anyone here truly wants. So next time they want to gush over a new pin cart or churro stand, perhaps, they should step back and look at the big picture.

We are getting a new pin cart! woot :sohappy:

First I find out they are releasing more pins and now a new cart to sell them from!

It's a great day!:sohappy:

WDW1974

Original Poster
I knew the pin cart would excite some fanboys.

So tell me JT, what exactly do you do for The Mouse?

I only ask because the fact you stated you know me 'professionally' (aka the real world) might indicate cyber stalking, which I'm sure you're not doing.

But perhaps you should PM me and tell me what you do because once you deviate from simple posting and start referring to things outside that realm, I start to take it very seriously.

jt04

I knew the pin cart would excite some fanboys.

So tell me JT, what exactly do you do for The Mouse?

It's not what I do for "The Mouse", it's what "The Mouse" does for me.:king:

I'm not "jt". Thats an acronym. You can call me "fanboy" :)

WDW1974

Original Poster
It's not what I do for "The Mouse", it's what "The Mouse" does for me.:king:

I'm not "jt". Thats an acronym. You can call me "fanboy" :)

^ :lol:You didn't need to write this last paragraph, I already knew this was the way your professional life is. I know you very well whether you know it or not.

I'm not calling you anything ... I just want to know what you meant by the above comment.

Fanboys don't assert relationships and knowledge of other posters who they don't know.

jt04

I'm not calling you anything ... I just want to know what you meant by the above comment.

Fanboys don't assert relationships and knowledge of other posters who they don't know.

You mean "whom", I think, not "who"....silly

:lookaroun Ummmm, I meant it in the fugurative sense. Not literally! :lookaroun

:ROFLOL:

Gotta go make my Grand Floridian ressies now. Later.:wave:

WDW1974

Original Poster
:lookaroun Ummmm, I meant it in the fugurative sense. Not literally! :lookaroun

:ROFLOL:

Gotta go make my Grand Floridian ressies now. Later.:wave:

You do know that George was the first food and beverage manager when the Grand Flo opened, doncha?

You seem to be doing a lot of backtracking recently since I called you on what you posted about me ... I think when posting it's always a wise move to watch the words you choose because you wouldn't want anyone to misinterpret what you are saying.

After all ... who knows who's reading this.

Enjoy your stay at the GF ... I'd advise a dinner at Narcoosee's ... great story there about the bar stools!

jt04

You do know that George was the first food and beverage manager when the Grand Flo opened, doncha?

You seem to be doing a lot of backtracking recently since I called you on what you posted about me ... I think when posting it's always a wise move to watch the words you choose because you wouldn't want anyone to misinterpret what you are saying.

After all ... who knows who's reading this.

Enjoy your stay at the GF ... I'd advise a dinner at Narcoosee's ... great story there about the bar stools!

Huh?:hammer:

I give up. :brick:

MousDad

It really es me off that Disney isn't taking advantage and using talents like Richard while they can still contribute. The man didn't lose his talent just because he's older!

You have my wholehearted agreement on this one. Their contribution to Disney films and parks is immeasurable, even to this day.

tirian

I liked the prequels!

I rate them as III, I, VI, V, II, IV on my favorite to least favorite scale.

Nice for you, but definitely not the general consensus. ;) :lol:

There are people who still like the OTHER Richard—Richard Simmons. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom