Slash and Burn ...

Lee

Adventurer
The angler fish was working a couple days ago and I was stunned cause it was working! Just thought I'd throw that in there.

And it's going down again in...3...2...1...:rolleyes:

Something tells me that with all the cuts that have already taken place, it is very unlikely that the Yeti or the Angler fish will be getting any attention soon. How could the number one vacation spot in the world allow this to happen?
'Cause they cheap, that's how. Sad, huh?:(

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Nope. It's turned off because it doesn't work properly, if at all. THE major effect on the ride (other than the projections)and it is allowed to just sit there in the dark. Sad.

Maybe they could flash a strobe on it and call it "B" mode. :shrug:

agent86

I've seen it work once. Multiple trips and visits and I've seen it once. I've been a little luckier with the Yeti, but it is a shame that probably the two most exciting effects to be brought to the parks in 5 years are not working at all.

It's unfortunate that the Yeti has been inoperable for so long now, but truthfully, even when it was working I felt it was a tad overrated. I don't think we're really missing all that much by having the Yeti not working.

dxwwf3

It's unfortunate that the Yeti has been inoperable for so long now, but truthfully, even when it was working I felt it was a tad overrated. I don't think we're really missing all that much by having the Yeti not working.

Others have said the same thing, but I always thought it was pretty great. Maybe a BIT overrated by Disney, but still a fantastic effect.

The_CEO

Maybe a BIT overrated by Disney, but still a fantastic effect.

For the only fact that you only get like 2 mere seconds with the lights off to take in the full effect of it all...

If it was dragged out a bit more maybe it would be more worth it..

I've ridden it countless times and still feel like I haven't gotten the chance to take it all in. Maybe that was the idea but when or if you wait 45 + minutes for the darn ride, you would hope to have gotten some more time with the furry beast!!

CaptainMichael

For the only fact that you only get like 2 mere seconds with the lights off to take in the full effect of it all...

If it was dragged out a bit more maybe it would be more worth it..

I've ridden it countless times and still feel like I haven't gotten the chance to take it all in. Maybe that was the idea but when or if you wait 45 + minutes for the darn ride, you would hope to have gotten some more time with the furry beast!!

While I agree that it's overrated, Joe Rhode said you only see it briefly because in the wild, you only see it briefly, and you're supposed to wonder "did I really just see that?" IMO, there should have been more encounters in the mountain.

The_CEO

While I agree that it's overrated, Joe Rhode said you only see it briefly because in the wild, you only see it briefly, and you're supposed to wonder "did I really just see that?" IMO, there should have been more encounters in the mountain.

Personally I would of thought that a better visual effect would of worked after the backwards helix. When you come to a full stop, instead of seeing that visual projection on the wall in front of you; perhaps a loud noise could of been heard and to the right or left you could see a yeti foot stepping out of the room you are in, like you just missed it. I would of felt that would of been more real then a projection. I do agree the ride does it's job by slowly introducing you to the yeti, First the roar, followed by the silhouette, then actually seeing the beast is impressive, but I guess I get upset because it is just too cool to just see for 2 seconds! :)

agent86

Yeah, I've heard that explanation given before, but I can't help wonder if Joe Rhode is just making an excuse when the REAL story is maybe that it's due to budget cuts from the original plans. If, in fact, it was their intention to tell the yeti story this way, then I really think the Imagineers missed the mark on this one. If that was the story they wanted to tell (i.e. build a lot of mystery and then make you wonder if you really saw what you thought you saw) then I don't think a 2 minute and 50 second roller coaster was the proper venue to tell it. I doubt the vast majority of visitors really "get" that aspect of the attraction.

jt04

Yeah, I've heard that explanation given before, but I can't help wonder if Joe Rhode is just making an excuse when the REAL story is maybe that it's due to budget cuts from the original plans. If, in fact, it was their intention to tell the yeti story this way, then I really think the Imagineers missed the mark on this one. If that was the story they wanted to tell (i.e. build a lot of mystery and then make you wonder if you really saw what you thought you saw) then I don't think a 2 minute and 50 second roller coaster was the proper venue to tell it. I doubt the vast majority of visitors really "get" that aspect of the attraction.

I agree with that. It has always seemed to me the attraction has been scaled down in both it's original story elements but also the mountain structure itself (the shell). Same thing happened to Kali I believe.

Beancounters:rolleyes:

They do so much more harm than good and should be barred from Imagineering projects.

imagineer boy

While its an interesting concept, it simply doesn't work in the context of an attraction. When people get haunted by a ghost, they usually see it materialize for a few seconds and disappear, giving a "did I just see that" reaction, but can you imagine the Haunted Mansion being like that? It would be somwhat boring.

While I'm not bashing the ride, its a great ride, it could've been done better in some respects.

jt04

While its an interesting concept, it simply doesn't work in the context of an attraction. When people get haunted by a ghost, they usually see it materialize for a few seconds and disappear, giving a "did I just see that" reaction, but can you imagine the Haunted Mansion being like that? It would be somwhat boring.

While I'm not bashing the ride, its a great ride, it could've been done better in some respects.

Yes it is a great ride but it could have been better. It will be interesting if a story similar to Kali eventually emerges.

agent86

That's an excellent comparison, and another reason why I think Joe Rhodes' explanation is a bit of a cop out.

CaptainMichael

Oh no doubt, I was just relaying the "explanation" the imagineers have given. Something like Everest is a very permanent attraction. As such, it should have been done right and not on the cheap. There's not really much that can be done now. I know this may be a dangerous thing to say, but perhaps too much time and money was invested in the queue line and expeditions to Nepal and not enough on the ride itself:lookaroun

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
That's an excellent comparison, and another reason why I think Joe Rhodes' explanation is a bit of a cop out.
Somehow I can't imagine Joe Rhodes "copping out"! He just doesn't strike as the type to make excuses for anything, if they didn't let him build what he wanted and he wasn't pleased with it, I'm pretty sure he'd say so. And since his explanation makes sense to me and works perfectly with my and my son's enjoyment of the ride, I have no issue with it. When the Yeti is in "A" mode, the experience is near perfect in our view ["B" mode not-so-much :(].

My only complaint is the amount of daylight that can be seen inside the mountain. Riding at night with the Yeti working was near Nirvana! :D

CaptainMichael

Riding at night with the Yeti working was near Nirvana! :D

Especially if you ride it nonstop 5 times in a row:dazzle:

It's a fun ride and basically the only reason I would go to DAK when I was on the college program (Kilimanjaro Safari was the other) but not enough to make me go there often. The backwards portion is unparalleled by any Disney attraction, but I do see how some could say there is room for improvement.

Hopefully Mysterious Island/Beastly Kingdomme will make the park more enticing and complete.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom