Skyway Station Demolition

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
^ Remember, the track was shortened to accomodate Birthdayland. The Skyway turn around was just to the east of what is still the final turn, and to the west of the main part of the course.

Martin, does this look about right? I kind of drew imaginary lines from the stations and this seems to be where they intersect. It looks about right looking at the videos.

SkywayStation.jpg

Rob562

Martin, does this look about right? I kind of drew imaginary lines from the stations and this seems to be where they intersect. It looks about right looking at the videos.

SkywayStation.jpg

You beat me to it, but yes, that's the location. I was slightly wrong on the exact spot in my earlier post (I wasn't looking at a map when I posted it), but it was still within the confines of the Speedway.

This video, shot going from Tomorrowland to Fantasyland gives a better idea of the location:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApHpap5cb38

As for shortening the track, if you look at old park maps pre-Birthdayland, their depiction of the Speedway shows the extra loop up into that area.
EDIT: Here ya go, also confirms the location of the turn in the Skyway.

1972ParkMap.jpg

-Rob

LongballMG

standing on that platform watching the buckets come in and out must compete with the back bridge postion at Speedway for the most boring job in tomorrowland.

Scuttle

I don't mind any demolishon of anything not being used, or a demolishing of restrooms :animwink:

But don't you think we have enough of mermaid and nemo? They both (will) have two attractions. Finding Nemo: The Musical, The Seas with Nemo and Friends. Voyage of the Little Mermaid (HWS), Little Mermaid dark ride (MK)...

Then Toy Story has it's two attractions, BLSRS, and TSM.

Even if a restroom is getting Nemo'd, i think disney should just build a park for pixar and trap all of the pixar people there! :goodnevil :ROFLOL:

I agree build a pixar park! Get the damn pixar characters out of the magic kingdom. They don't seem to fit there. Thank god new FL isn't being tarnished with pixar rides and characters. I love pixar movies, but they don't belong in the magic kingdom

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I agree build a pixar park! Get the damn pixar characters out of the magic kingdom. They don't seem to fit there. Thank god new FL isn't being tarnished with pixar rides and characters. I love pixar movies, but they don't belong in the magic kingdom

You need to stop differentiating between Disney characters and Pixar characters. They are all Disney. There are VERY FEW Original Disney creations....most are characters created by others that Disney Disneyfied.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Finally found it! I knew I had one somewhere with little foliage hiding the midway station! Note the longer Speedway track before Birthdayland curtailed it in late `87:

Attachments

• Tland Skyway route early 80s.jpg
    Tland Skyway route early 80s.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 331

ddbowdoin

I wish they would just build another skyway type attraction... I remember just overlooking FL as a kid with my mom... good old days

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Finally found it! I knew I had one somewhere with little foliage hiding the midway station! Note the longer Speedway track before Birthdayland curtailed it in late `87:

Great picture! That puts the turn structure right where the Dumbo queue tent is going to be.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Great picture! That puts the turn structure right where the Dumbo queue tent is going to be.
Almost; it is just north of the old Skyway turn. Here is a composite showing the original Speedway route before 1988, the position of the Skyway turn, and where the 2 Dumbo spinners and preshow tent will be:

Attachments

• Dumbo Speedway placement copy.jpg
    Dumbo Speedway placement copy.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 236

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
And of course it`s also worth mentioning whilst discussing the Speedway being shortened it also happened at the southern end in 1974 during WEDway / Space Mountain construction.

jmick71

Almost; it is just north of the old Skyway turn. Here is a composite showing the original Speedway route before 1988, the position of the Skyway turn, and where the 2 Dumbo spinners and preshow tent will be:

Idk if that is accurate bc there needs to be more space into the opening of story book circus which would mean dumbo would needed to be moved back putting it directly over the skyway turning area

GymLeaderPhil

I've heard word that the restrooms between Peter Pan and Harbor House will be removed for additional queue space. The old Skyway Station will be the site of new restrooms, expanded stroller parking, and additional walkway space as indicated.

Figment1986

But where will we meet the Seven Dwarfs at MNSSHP???

:lol:

sheash... with the current loss of the "alice" trick or treat trail... it seems a quarter of te event has changed for 2011.... They did experiment with having them in the outside seating area for Pinocchio earlier last year... so maybe it would be near there?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom