Skyway Station Demolition

mrerk

Premium Member
I'm thinking it is something to do with the Skyway turn. An old guidemap I found online shows the turn being between the Speedway and the Barnstormer, which is right where they are doing the track reconfig. So whatever part of the FLE that required the track reconfig is now necessitating the removal of the infrastructure from the Skyway turn.

SeaCastle

Original Poster
I'm thinking it is something to do with the Skyway turn. An old guidemap I found online shows the turn being between the Speedway and the Barnstormer, which is right where they are doing the track reconfig. So whatever part of the FLE that required the track reconfig is now necessitating the removal of the infrastructure from the Skyway turn.

The track reconfig is occuring west of where the pylon was. The Dumbo showbuilding, I believe, is to be built where the pylon was. However, I would imagine that the pylon would have been removed years ago, and that they wouldn't need a large-scale demolition team to remove the foundation (assuming it hasn't been removed already).

Tom

Beta Return
It stills strikes me that the contractor listed is a major demolition contractor. Anyone is qualified to pull a buried slab of concrete out of the ground, including whoever is going the earthwork required for Dumbo/FLE.

After some sidebar discussions, I'm leaning toward the fact that they may have meant the Fantasyland Skyway building. It's a long shot, but I can't think of any other reason they'd need to call in a professional, large scale demolition contractor.

This means they royally screwed up on the address, if true.

Tom

Beta Return
When is destruction of Mickey and Minnie's house scheduled? I know this isn't the same address... but, hey, could have screwed up...

May have already started, for all we know. Or maybe not. Good idea though.

Regardless, this is either going to be something extremely disappointing (to us), or newsworthy and posted under the wrong address.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Perhaps they are indeed tearing down the restrooms to make room for a meet-n-greet.

I mean, what's more important?

Rob562

Could this be some kind of demolition in the seating area *behind* the Tomorrowland Skyway/bathrooms building? There's plenty of concrete planters, walls, steps, etc still back there, I believe. It could just be that the skyway is the closest structure associated with that courtyard, and that's what was put on the paperwork..

The area's being used for the temporary Mickey and Minnie Meet & Greet, but once they're moved to Town Square, perhaps they have some kind of plan to re-use that area? Perhaps they've decided it's worthwhile to set up a proper, long-term Meet & Greet back there?

-Rob

Tom

Beta Return
Could this be some kind of demolition in the seating area *behind* the Tomorrowland Skyway/bathrooms building? There's plenty of concrete planters, walls, steps, etc still back there, I believe. It could just be that the skyway is the closest structure associated with that courtyard, and that's what was put on the paperwork..

The area's being used for the temporary Mickey and Minnie Meet & Greet, but once they're moved to Town Square, perhaps they have some kind of plan to re-use that area? Perhaps they've decided it's worthwhile to set up a proper, long-term Meet & Greet back there?

-Rob

Maybe. I'm still baffled as to why such a large demolition contractor would be hired to do what I would consider "minor" work. They probably have errors in their estimates that amount to values greater than the cost of any minor demolition work that could take place in that area - aside from an entire building. But then again, maybe they're starving for work like the rest of us contractors.

Rob562

Maybe. I'm still baffled as to why such a large demolition contractor would be hired to do what I would consider "minor" work. They probably have errors in their estimates that amount to values greater than the cost of any minor demolition work that could take place in that area - aside from an entire building. But then again, maybe they're starving for work like the rest of us contractors.

Were they the contractors on the original 2nd floor skyway demolition? Maybe this was part of the same contract bid, but because of Disney's timeline it had to be put off until now.

-Rob

yensid67

If there's anything left of the turning apparatus, it's just the foundation. But perhaps they ran into it unexpectedly when re-routing the track (although, I think it was in the next grassy area east).

Good call on the nomenclature.

Since they are doing a reconfiguration of the Speedway, I would assume its demolish for the Dueling Dumbos...wouldn't they be EAST of the Speedway?

A good rule of thumb, when you see a permit for a demolition in or near FLE, try and think of the plans and what it could be in reference to!

Tom

Beta Return
Were they the contractors on the original 2nd floor skyway demolition? Maybe this was part of the same contract bid, but because of Disney's timeline it had to be put off until now.

-Rob

Perhaps. I couldn't find any previous permits filed for the previous skyway demo/restroom rehab.

toolsnspools

Any chance they would hire that contractor for a quick removal? i.e. If they own a very large crane, and they want the foundation out of the way quickly?

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Is it possible that they are going to be the contractor doing the Toon Town demolition and this was just a small item added to the much larger demolition project?

montyz81

Wasn't there a station in the middle of the speedway? I know it was demolished, but perhaps there was a foundation just covered over and that is what they are talking about here. This might be connected to the work they are doing around the Speedway.

Tom

Beta Return
How about this one?

http://or.occompt.com/recorder/eagl...8419.pdf?id=DOC463S3016.A0&parent=DOC463S3016

The contractor listed is Coquina Engineering & Construction, Inc.

Heh. Yeah, that's it. I was searching for the work skyway, then got lazy. This proves that it wasn't an accidental re-filing.

Actually there's 4 if you count the restrooms inside Cosmic Ray's and the seldom-used ones over by Tomorrowland Terrace.

So...skyway restrooms, terrace restrooms (forgot about those) and cosmic rays. What's the 4th?

Wasn't there a station in the middle of the speedway? I know it was demolished, but perhaps there was a foundation just covered over and that is what they are talking about here. This might be connected to the work they are doing around the Speedway.

Yes, this was discussed a few posts up. The skyway turned at a platform within the speedway. Based on all of the logic presented in this thread, it seems most likely that the contractor tearing down Toontown has been given a Change Order to tear out some old remnants of the skyway (which are likely buried somewhere).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom