Skyway Station Demolition

Mansion Butler

The bathrooms between the Terrace and the Plaza on Mainstreet also play Tomorrowland music, so I believe they are technically Tomorrowland.

It's weird walking in to a bathroom from Mainstreet and hearing Tomorrowland music. Probably one of the strongest subconcious "wait, that doesn't work" feelings I've had in the parks. :lol

Tom

Beta Return
There are the restrooms next to Auntie Gravity's Galactic Goodies. The ones that PUSH appears in front of.

Ha. Had NO idea :p

Wow, this topic is so uneventful, we're talking about bathroom locations and background music. I wish they'd hurry up and start demolishing something so we can put this to rest :lol:

Mansion Butler

I'm actually extremely interested in bathroom locations. I don't know why.

Also, I'm giving serious consideration to ranking every water fountain in the parks. If you think they're all the same you are mistaken. The best is probably the one in Fort Langhorn, by the way.

Anyway, I didn't think of the one next to Auntie Gravities, but that's definitely the one I've used most often, so I should have.

Mrs.Toad

Sad...

I remember the relaxing and awesome view when I rode the Skyway in the 80's.

Who knew they'd ever go?

And how awesome it must have been to have the opportunity to ride the Swan Boats even earlier on.

These were the special touches, scenic attractions that should have remained. because MK is a lovely place to be when you want downtime from the mountains and more intensive attractions.

It makes you wonder what more will change down the road...3o years...50 years...

But I hope to never see the TTA or Liberty riverboats halted.

They may not be "E"s, but that mentality is what I worry about.

A bit nostalgia filled, because I was watching some footage of Motion and Horizons, and the original Imagination, and how they could have stood the test of time, and how outdated should be construed as classic.

Ok, there was cost and maintenance issues but still....why do park icons go by the byway?

disneyWX

Sad...

I remember the relaxing and awesome view when I rode the Skyway in the 80's.

Who knew they'd ever go?

And how awesome it must have been to have the opportunity to ride the Swan Boats even earlier on.

These were the special touches, scenic attractions that should have remained. because MK is a lovely place to be when you want downtime from the mountains and more intensive attractions.

It makes you wonder what more will change down the road...3o years...50 years...

But I hope to never see the TTA or Liberty riverboats halted.

They may not be "E"s, but that mentality is what I worry about.

A bit nostalgia filled, because I was watching some footage of Motion and Horizons, and the original Imagination, and how they could have stood the test of time, and how outdated should be construed as classic.

Ok, there was cost and maintenance issues but still....why do park icons go by the byway?

Well said Mrs. Toad. I share your sentiments.

Never rode the skyway when I was younger, but am now obsessed with the stations. Now that the TL station is gone I'm holding my breath that FL will persevere.

Mrs.Toad

Those are/were my "teaser" attractions.

Riding the Skyway from Fantasyland to get pumped for Tomorrowland..

Doing TTA before a ride on Space...

Doing the whole RR circuit when we first enter the park and then, strolling down Main Street to hit a land.

Doing the riverboat and then prepping for HM.

Just those little traditions that mean a lot.

Tom

Beta Return
Those are/were my "teaser" attractions.

Riding the Skyway from Fantasyland to get pumped for Tomorrowland..

Doing TTA before a ride on Space...

Doing the whole RR circuit when we first enter the park and then, strolling down Main Street to hit a land.

Doing the riverboat and then prepping for HM.

Just those little traditions that mean a lot.

So true. I was fortunate enough to ride the skyway several times as a child of the 80s. I've always been a behind-the-scenes type of person (even then, oddly), so I loved riding the Skyway just to see all the un-magical areas.

I understand pretty much every reason they got rid of the Skyway, but it was still a shame to see it go.

Monorail Lime

I slipped and busted my lip open on the Skyway when I was a kiddo. Someone on the ground must've heard me yelling because there was a team of paramedics waiting when we got to the end.

It's one of my family's fondest Disney memories.

Tom

Beta Return
I slipped and busted my lip open on the Skyway when I was a kiddo. Someone on the ground must've heard me yelling because there was a team of paramedics waiting when we got to the end.

It's one of my family's fondest Disney memories.

Kinda brings a tear to my eye, hearing such magical memories. You should submit this to the new campaign site :p

NYwdwfan

OK semi off-topic but you guys started it...favorite Skyway memory was riding with my friend that was more than double my weight at the time. We were sitting opposite each other and as the car pushed off from the FL station it tipped - with my side NOTICIBLY higher than hers - similar to the scene in Tommy Boy when Chris Farley and David Spade were in the boat. It was both hilarious and terrifying all at the same time. Who knew the Skyway could be a thrill ride?! :lookaroun

KevinYee

I'm going to cast my vote for it being the Fantasyland Skyway. There are 'detour' plans for this area, or so I hear.

NewfieFan

I'm going to cast my vote for it being the Fantasyland Skyway. There are 'detour' plans for this area, or so I hear.

How could they get the address so wrong... unless whoever did the permit just looked up skyway station and wrote down the first address that popped up!?!

I was thinking this when I first read this thread but I figured others "in the know" would know something.

So, what are the plans for this area? I remember hearing about a widening of the path there. Will they close that shop that is there (Yankee Trader or something?)?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
How could they get the address so wrong... unless whoever did the permit just looked up skyway station and wrote down the first address that popped up!?!

I was thinking this when I first read this thread but I figured others "in the know" would know something.

So, what are the plans for this area? I remember hearing about a widening of the path there. Will they close that shop that is there (Yankee Trader or something?)?
That particular area is a pretty bad choke point and the removal of the FL skyway was going to help relieve that. If the plans remain consistent with what was reported earlier widening of the path, moving stroller parking and the removal of the Yankee Trader are the plan.

NewfieFan

That particular area is a pretty bad choke point and the removal of the FL skyway was going to help relieve that. If the plans remain consistent with what was reported earlier widening of the path, moving stroller parking and the removal of the Yankee Trader are the plan.

But where will we meet the Seven Dwarfs at MNSSHP???

:lol:

jmick71

They cant demo the fantasy land sky way station because it hides the show building for the HM and backstage areas of MK. i asked someone this year if they were every going to get rid of it or make a new attraction and they said it would never be posable because of this reason and there is not enough space behind it (or within it ) to do anything with. And even if they did demo it , it would lead rite into HM exit (by the crypts and the ghost horse)

trr1

They cant demo the fantasy land sky way station because it hides the show building for the HM and backstage areas of MK. i asked someone this year if they were every going to get rid of it or make a new attraction and they said it would never be posable because of this reason and there is not enough space behind it (or within it ) to do anything with. And even if they did demo it , it would lead rite into HM exit (by the crypts and the ghost horse)

spell check is your friend

hpyhnt 1000

I find it hard to believe that keeping the HM showbuilding and backstage areas hidden is dependent on what is essentially an abandoned building. I think the actual reason is that the station is still there is because management discovered that it was the easiest (ie: cheapest) solution. There are plenty of other viable options at Disney's disposal to keep any areas hidden ranging from planting new trees and foliage to a decorative wall or mural to even a fake facade.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom