Rumor Siemens is going to end their sponsorship with the parks - Spaceship Earth and IllumiNations

wdwgreek

Just saw an interesting rumour being floated around some friends. I don't lend it much credence or attention, but its always interesting what people come up with.... but they were talking about Doctor Strange inside Spaceship earth now that Siemens is out of the picture? Anyone know where they got that from? or can slap that down for me.

Haymarket2008

Just saw an interesting rumour being floated around some friends. I don't lend it much credence or attention, but its always interesting what people come up with.... but they were talking about Doctor Strange inside Spaceship earth now that Siemens is out of the picture? Anyone know where they got that from? or can slap that down for me.

That seems so beyond the pale. I don't buy it. If that is really the case, that would be the final straw for me.

wdwgreek

That seems so beyond the pale. I don't buy it. If that is really the case, that would be the final straw for me.
yes beyond the pale for sure, but would you be surprised from IPcot. Imagine all the projections, but for real. It would be a final straw for me too.

bclane

I don't believe Disney is that dumb. I can see them tossing a Star Wars ride in there at some point, but Dr Strange? I just don't believe it. Since they are your friends, you should ask them for their source.

Haymarket2008

yes beyond the pale for sure, but would you be surprised from IPcot. Imagine all the projections, but for real. It would be a final straw for me too.

I don't know........that specifically would surprise me from IPcot. Guardians has a semblance of a connection to Epcot with him basically being the modern version of Capt EO with "space" and all. Weak, but not as offensive as Dr. Strange in SSE. Two different ballparks. But that just.....wouldn't work. Especially since many, many people in high positions have a great respect for SSE, I don't see it being bastardized in that way.. I don't see them going postal on the park's flagship attraction with a trans-dimensional fighting monk.

sedati

I don't fear the strange. In fact, I think that property could make for an amazing attraction. But I don't think beyond both dealing with time that Spaceship Earth would make a good fit for either party. That said, if Tower of Terror must lose its current IP, then that's my choice over Guardians.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

If that was the case, Spirit would have posted a thousand word diatribe condemning every Disney exec to the ninth circle of Hell.

And Martin would have posted a cryptic reference to magic in a terse and dispirited post.

But, in fact, Martin has said that the ride itself in the sphere will be around for at least 5 more years (not that they'll change it, but it's what he seems to be sure of).

And it's certainly not worth anyone's time to get into a lather over such a flimsy rumor.

wdwgreek

If that was the case, Spirit would have posted a thousand word diatribe condemning every Disney exec to the ninth circle of Hell.

And Martin would have posted a cryptic reference to magic in a terse and dispirited post.

But, in fact, Martin has said that the ride itself in the sphere will be around for at least 5 more years (not that they'll change it, but it's what he seems to be sure of).

And it's certainly not worth anyone's time to get into a lather over such a flimsy rumor.
I mean that is MY thinking as well, don't get me wrong, but again It was so out. There I had to drop a comment on it

Pixieish

How long will it take to strip out the Siemens stuff from the ride? I imagine the signs could be removed in a day or 2 but they also need to change the video at the beginning and end of the ride plus some stuff in the post ride exhibit space. Are we looking at a multi-month shut down or just a few days? I ask for selfish reasons. I'll be there in November and since the contract expires in Oct I want to feel out if there's a good chance the ride will be open or closed while I'm there.

Last time Spaceship Earth had a sponsor pull out I seem to recall that signage lingered for a few months before finally disappearing with little or no downtime.

I'm sure Disney is smart enough now to build sponsors into their attractions with some sort of exit strategy should the deal change.

Having been in the sign business (and yes - even doing on-site installs), for the removal/change to signage to take anything more than overnight is shameful. I can install 200 apartment numbers in an afternoon, and since the placement and hardware for mounting already exist, it should really just be a matter of removing one sign and hanging another.

Pixieish

Not quite true, if you really want to know. Everyone on the internet likes to make it seem like Bob and Bob are the only ones making decisions. Iger has so much more to deal with than just the Parks. He weighs in when necessary, and he can send missives if someone else makes a convincing case to do something. In the case of Marvel, of course he wants to make wide use of the IP in the parks. He pushed through a huge deal that he has to answer for. But usually a lot of the decision making is done at a lower level, then brought to him for sign off or input and changes. He didn't say put Guardians in Epcot. He said let's see how we we can make use of this within the parks, Consumer Products, Licensing, etc. Then it's up to WDI and Chapek's group to figure out where things fit - literally - then go back with concepts and ideas, first to the individual parks heads and Bob Chapek, then to Iger. WDI and P&R and multiple other divisions within Disney worked to build a new strategy for Studios over months. It's not a matter of simply being told by an exec to put IPs in. They came up with a strategy, based on input from many parties, including Chapek and Iger, then Chapek and Iger signed off. Disney is a corporation. Decisions are made with the input of many people. Bob and Bob listen to the people they have around them. Attractions are designed and built with lots of people and departments giving input. Sometimes this is good, sometimes it's too many cooks, but it is the way it works.

AMEN. Even in a sign/graphics shop with fewer than 50 employees it works this way.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
20171112_182842.jpg
As of yesterday, Siemens signage is still around.

Cmdr_Crimson

View attachment 243987 As of yesterday, Siemens signage is still around.
I'm sure they are still using the Sylvania a Siemens company announcement still for Illuminations

Also Spaceship Earth or Project Tomorrow's site doesn't show Siemens..
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/epcot/spaceship-earth/
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/a...tomorrow-inventing-the-wonders-of-the-future/

Yet the other SSE site is still Siemen's related.
https://epcotspaceshipearth.com/

rocketraccoon

When I rode it on Saturday the touchscreen at the very beginning didn't ask where I was from. Does this just happen from time to time or is this new?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom