Rumor Siemens is going to end their sponsorship with the parks - Spaceship Earth and IllumiNations

EvilChameleon

Let's be honest, the Walter Cronkite narration of the Peace On Earth tag is way better than what they use now. Just had a perfect cadance going into the second half of that tag.

"Peace on earth" *fireworks launch* "good will to men" *fireworks explode*

MerlinTheGoat

Judi Dench is not the problem. What they have her saying is.
The script sucks and that is a primary issue, but I also feel Judi Dench's voice and inflections are a bit too "sharp" for this ride, though that is my personal opinion. I'm otherwise a big fan of her as an actress and don't dislike her voice at all outside of this ride. I just prefer someone with a more soothing voice as narrator for this ride.

Jeremy Irons is my favorite SSE voice largely due to this, it's soothing and hypnotic. I personally hope the future narrators can also pull off a similar tone of voice. British accents are nice, but not a requirement. The script and soothing tone of voice are more important IMO.

Here are some examples that I think could pull it off- Sigourney Weaver, Kate Mulgrew, Gillian Anderson, Liam Neeson, Cate Blanchett. In other ideas, James Earl Jones can be a surprisingly soothing and hypnotic narrator when not using a variation of his Darth Vader voice (though some might be against him as a choice due to the Star Wars connection). Morgan Freeman is another great voice, though he currently narrates HoP (not that he couldn't do multiple attractions). It's a shame Carl Sagan is no longer alive, he'd be an awesome choice too.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
How long will it take to strip out the Siemens stuff from the ride? I imagine the signs could be removed in a day or 2 but they also need to change the video at the beginning and end of the ride plus some stuff in the post ride exhibit space. Are we looking at a multi-month shut down or just a few days? I ask for selfish reasons. I'll be there in November and since the contract expires in Oct I want to feel out if there's a good chance the ride will be open or closed while I'm there.

yensidtlaw1969

How long will it take to strip out the Siemens stuff from the ride? I imagine the signs could be removed in a day or 2 but they also need to change the video at the beginning and end of the ride plus some stuff in the post ride exhibit space. Are we looking at a multi-month shut down or just a few days? I ask for selfish reasons. I'll be there in November and since the contract expires in Oct I want to feel out if there's a good chance the ride will be open or closed while I'm there.
Last time Spaceship Earth had a sponsor pull out I seem to recall that signage lingered for a few months before finally disappearing with little or no downtime.

I'm sure Disney is smart enough now to build sponsors into their attractions with some sort of exit strategy should the deal change.

Biff215

Is Dame Judi Dench tied to Siemens? There is no reason to change anything really except the sign at the entrance....that is the only place the sponsor is mentioned...
Agreed, but I think the changes being mentioned are more of a wish list should a new sponsor come on board or if Disney chooses to change it down the line. Pulling the Siemens references out should be fairly simple.

Goofyernmost

I don't remember Walter Cronkite having an English accent. Did you mean it's not believable with an English accent? So confused.
I mean that it is no longer believable without an English accent because to us Budweiser driven Mericans, English accents are the epitome of class and trustworthiness. Walter Cronkite was the man we all went to when we wanted to know the truth. He represented integrity at that time. If he contradicted the Queen at that point, we all would have been saying, Yea, what kind of crap is she trying to sell us anyway. After Uncle Walt... we had to resort to the accent. :);)

HMF

The script sucks and that is a primary issue, but I also feel Judi Dench's voice and inflections are a bit too "sharp" for this ride, though that is my personal opinion. I'm otherwise a big fan of her as an actress and don't dislike her voice at all outside of this ride. I just prefer someone with a more soothing voice as narrator for this ride.

Jeremy Irons is my favorite SSE voice largely due to this, it's soothing and hypnotic. I personally hope the future narrators can also pull off a similar tone of voice. British accents are nice, but not a requirement. The script and soothing tone of voice are more important IMO.

Here are some examples that I think could pull it off- Sigourney Weaver, Kate Mulgrew, Gillian Anderson, Liam Neeson, Cate Blanchett. In other ideas, James Earl Jones can be a surprisingly soothing and hypnotic narrator when not using a variation of his Darth Vader voice (though some might be against him as a choice due to the Star Wars connection). Morgan Freeman is another great voice, though he currently narrates HoP (not that he couldn't do multiple attractions). It's a shame Carl Sagan is no longer alive, he'd be an awesome choice too.
In an ideal world where UOE was being refreshed rather than replaced. i would give the narration to Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom