Rumor Siemens is going to end their sponsorship with the parks - Spaceship Earth and IllumiNations

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
The history of communication from primitive to cave drawings to telegraph to telephone to TV to Computer and the descent experience of communication at the tip of your fingers, interactive, entertaining and quick. I see nothing, but, consistency of mission on SSE.

I thought SSE more recently adopted the concept of "a journey through "time" that explores mankind's technological advances over the centuries." An exploratory look at how tools shaped mankind, via a time machine rover.

If true to what you say, SSE is in dire need of a reboot. The whole traveling through time scenario is lost as is the attraction of the attraction if I'm being brutally honest. I asked somewhat in jest but I guess I don't fully understand SSE's purpose; or for that matter understand why it's even named Spaceship Earth. I'm of the mind that thinks the general public doesn't fully understand the point of this attraction either. Theme or plot. For an attraction that serves as the park's anchor I find it woefully underdeveloped. The kicker, fittingly the descent, is very disjointed from the rest of the attraction. SSE needs help.

Last edited:

smile

The history of communication from primitive to cave drawings to telegraph to telephone to TV to Computer and the descent experience of communication at the tip of your fingers, interactive, entertaining and quick. I see nothing, but, consistency of mission on SSE.

it's a post-show exhibit at best and diminishes the attraction experience...
even then, bird and the robot had more class in its pinky finger nail than the entire current decent has - sans the lights, perhaps.

anything i can also experience while sitting on the toilet shouldn't even be considered for an attraction with the pedigree of sse

poor execution of a highly questionable decision

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Misplaced to you perhaps, but, not all of life is history. Things change and we can spend our lives moaning about something not being like it used to be or we can appreciate what is there and stop feeling that everything should be in a time warp. As long as you and your stuck in the past folks continue to try and tell us how awful change is, I will keep reminding you that it is 100% opinion and not everyone is down on it. All the descent "shows" have sucked in my opinion that doesn't mean that everyone felt that way, but, it doesn't make it wrong either.
No, history has nothing to do with it. This descent - and its basic errors - has been discussed to death over the last ten years.

As has also been discussed, the ascent was mostly changed for the better. There’s a shock. Change was good.

Last edited:

Bender123

No, history has nothing to do with it. But this descent - and its basic errors - has been discussed to death over the last ten years.

This...The problem with the ending has been discussed to death. Its a dark hallway where you watch a video that belongs in a post show activity. The video is cute...I like it...but the style clashes with the "high end aspirational" ride that built up to it. It would be having a Three Stooges pie fight at the end of Citizen Kane...Its just a massive style clash that, independently, are great, but instead of getting the delicious combo of Peanut Butter and Chocolate, you get Orange Juice and Toothpaste.

Compared to what should have been a finale that shows the promise of the future, we get a cartoon that makes the Jetsons look more plausible.

Bocabear

This...The problem with the ending has been discussed to death. Its a dark hallway where you watch a video that belongs in a post show activity. The video is cute...I like it...but the style clashes with the "high end aspirational" ride that built up to it. It would be having a Three Stooges pie fight at the end of Citizen Kane...Its just a massive style clash that, independently, are great, but instead of getting the delicious combo of Peanut Butter and Chocolate, you get Orange Juice and Toothpaste.

Compared to what should have been a finale that shows the promise of the future, we get a cartoon that makes the Jetsons look more plausible.
WOW! that is a perfect summation!

the.dreamfinder

Judy Dench wasn’t a bad choice for SSE, the script was condescending, dumbed down garbage. Frankly, I’d be ok with anyone as long as the script is in line with the approach of the Cronkite and Irons scripts by... Tom Fitzgerald.

My English Language Narrator Choices
Cate Blanchette
Jeremy Irons
Jessica Chastain
Patrick Stewart
Lupita Nyong’o
Chadwick Boseman
Rebecca Hall
Tom Hardy

Bocabear

In 1983, it would have been much more obvious. The fact that this question was asked highlights, emphasizes, spotlights, etc how disconnected the Future World theme is today.
Or it is a stupid question...the ride makes the point throughout...but if you are not paying attention to any of the narration whatsoever maybe you would miss it...but it is pretty obvious...

Bender123

Judy Dench wasn’t a bad choice for SSE, the script was condescending, dumbed down garbage. Frankly, I’d be ok with anyone as long as the script is in line with the approach of the Cronkite and Irons scripts by... Tom Fitzgerald.

My English Language Narrator Choices
Cate Blanchette
Jeremy Irons
Jessica Chastain
Patrick Stewart
Lupita Nyong’o
Chadwick Boseman
Rebecca Hall
Tom Hardy

Honestly, the ride hasn't changed all that much, until the ending...I wish they could use the touchscreens to allow a guest to choose which version of the ride they want. They already have Multilanguage support, so add in a few different narrators, the classic versions and make it a ride that allows us to choose our style. It would be cool to have the classic versions have video on the screen of what the ride used to have in those scenes.

It would be a cool way to get a new experience and satisfy all of us old timers...based on the current setup, we know that this can be done for video/audio production costs and with almost no new hardware.

LukeS7

I have no intention of having a mindset that cannot accept new experiences and feel that only the past is of any value.
Nor do I, which was the purpose of my last comment. I was refuting your point that the people who don't like the screens are "stuck in the past folks" since I hadn't ever experienced the past iterations of the ride.

smile

AT&T is currently the official wireless sponsor for WDW, I wonder if they're trying to expand that deal.

was about to make a bad joke how they'd never do that, but martin saved me :p

would be... interesting... to see that name below again -
maybe walter and tmrws child would show up as well ;)

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
AT&T is currently the official wireless sponsor for WDW, I wonder if they're trying to expand that deal.
Since they quit in what... 2003?5? it’d be a weird return to the past !

AT&T is also a totally different company than it was in early 2000's. The Original AT&T "Ma Bell" was purchased in 2005 by SBC, the only vestiges of the original AT&T is its name.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Displaying a company's future in innovations has become a blueprint for a competing company to exploit. It's why Innoventions has faltered.
No, history has nothing to do with it. This descent - and its basic errors - has been discussed to death over the last ten years.

As has also been discussed, the ascent was mostly changed for the better. There’s a shock. Change was good.
What specifically changed in the ascent compared to the Irons version?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom