Should Disney keep Carousel of Progress?

Should the Carousel of Progress Stay Open?

• Yes

Votes: 145 89.5%
  • No

Votes: 17 10.5%

• Total voters

NowInc

Originally posted by jmarc63

YOU obviously have no idea what Walt Disney was all about and you also have no idea how badly Eisner and company are running the show and forgetting what made all this possible.

A statment like that really prooves MY point...that the "Fanatics" lose sight of what is good buisness.

If they were to continue running things the way Walt wanted to..the company would be nothing.

First off:: Disney..although a great visionary..was a HORRIBLE buisnessman..thats why his BROTHER handled all that...

Second:: Disney has EISNER to thank for its SUCCESS in current times. Buying out media companies, expanding Disney to a world wide franchise, Merchandising, turning them into a powerfull corporation....but geez..if he closes CoP..he MUST be evil.......come on...wipe the fog from your eyes for a few minutes and try and look at things from a MODERN (not 1960's) point of view....its all sink or swim....and Walk would have sank a long time ago.

jmarc63

Originally posted by NowInc

A statment like that really prooves MY point...that the "Fanatics" lose sight of what is good buisness.

If they were to continue running things the way Walt wanted to..the company would be nothing.

First off:: Disney..although a great visionary..was a HORRIBLE buisnessman..thats why his BROTHER handled all that...

Second:: Disney has EISNER to thank for its SUCCESS in current times. Buying out media companies, expanding Disney to a world wide franchise, Merchandising, turning them into a powerfull corporation....but geez..if he closes CoP..he MUST be evil.......come on...wipe the fog from your eyes for a few minutes and try and look at things from a MODERN (not 1960's) point of view....its all sink or swim....and Walk would have sank a long time ago.

Yes they might have eisner to thank for the growth in the 80s and early 90. He may have saved Dl and MK from being part of six flags and the studios from being sold to foreign investors but have you seen the conditions of the attractions WDW in general. that kind of neglect of the existing is what I am refering to and that neglect wouldnt of happend before he tool over. Its too bad Ron(miller) wasn't a great bussiness leader either.

There is paint peeling in future would. I think that is bad bussiness.

the monorail station at MK is rotting what is good bussiness about that. I'll agree with you that walt wasn't a bussiness man and Roy was, but do you think it is good business to alienate your original base of customers. do you consider this when you tell me this.

We are the people that made it what is was by being impressed by the high qulity standard. in 71 I couldn't even stand theam parks as few as there were and since 73 there have been an explosion of them to copy the Disney formula. I still can't stand them .there all thrill get you sick kind of rides. Disney was the only place that had attractiond that appealed to me. anyway we kept going because of the quality. now it seems the Disney name it the draw not the quality and standards.

bearboysnc

Look at the mistake they made in Disneyland when they removed the old Matterhorn (a new one is in it's place)

You're livin in Fantasyland, the MATTERHORN at DL was not removed. It was renovated to prevent it from deteriorating any further. When it was built the technology to prevent water damage was not that great. THe mountain was in serious disrepair. ALSO if you rode it BEFORE the remodel... you'll remember the inside was hallow with exposed "I" beams and iron work.

Since it was the first coaster of it's kind... huge advances in tubular steel coasters had been made. Besides upgrading the track and making it longer... they themed the interior to make it a better attraction. (Unfortunatley they added the Snowman storyline.)

Its too bad Ron(miller) wasn't a great bussiness leader either.
Ron Miller was THE WORST!

jmarc63

Bearboy,

I was wonder if he was also thinking about when they moved the matterhorne from tommrowland to fantasyland. some people accually think that they physically moves it:hammer:

they just moved a line on paper and that was all they did with that

james4023464

yes, it is a good classic disney attraction, and if Disney gets rid of it they should be ambaressed. The only minus about the ride is that annoying song.

General Grizz

Annoying? I find it inspiring. And Walt really loved it. Oh well...sorry about that.

For some reason, today's public is really starting to bash the Shermans!!

bamboo7

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
For some reason, today's public is really starting to bash the Shermans!!

you really think so?
personally i have been fans of the sherman brothers for years.
i guess nothing lasts forever though. as times change people's expectations for things do as well.

General Grizz

I suppose. But people always complain about "it's a small world" and Carousel of Progress because of their theme songs...the classics written by the Shermans. :(

Becky

" Now is the time, now is the time, now is the best time of your life".

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

Yea, I know the origional was "It's a great big beautiful tomorrow". Both grow on you after you hear them dozens of times. :) :wave:

jmarc63

Originally posted by Becky
" Now is the time, now is the time, now is the best time of your life".

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

Yea, I know the origional was "It's a great big beautiful tomorrow". Both grow on you after you hear them dozens of times. :) :wave:

That just brought a tear to my eye. I miss these songs

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by NowInc

Seems to me that is just your opinion.

Disney would have changed with the times as everyone has. Walt was fine as a buisiness man, and his brother was even better. Walt got the ideas, and his brother turned them into reality. No one can say what would have happened if Walt had been alive for a few more years. Epcot might have changed just they way it has, and Walt would have accepted it. Things obviously would have been different, but no one can say they woudl have been for the worst.

But isnt it just ironic how when the company supposedly started going down hill was when Walt and his brother died?

No, I dont think you can say that Walt would have sank. he was always looking to the future, and always accepted change. That is why he was so succesful through every decade. In fact, Walt probably would have wanted to change the Carousel of Progress a long time ago.

Becky

Hum, if they keep taking out the traditional Walt Disney rides and attractions and keep replacing them with thrill rides/coasters WDW will become Cedar Point or Kings Island.

I can get to either in less than three hours, yet in the last five years I have been to neither and have been to Walt Disney, Yes WALT DISNEY, World nine times.

Seems all decisions are based on money only we will be back to the old style amusement park. Is that what we want. I don't.

jmarc63

Originally posted by JLW11Hi

Seems to me that is just your opinion.

Disney would have changed with the times as everyone has. Walt was fine as a buisiness man, and his brother was even better. Walt got the ideas, and his brother turned them into reality. No one can say what would have happened if Walt had been alive for a few more years. Epcot might have changed just they way it has, and Walt would have accepted it. Things obviously would have been different, but no one can say they woudl have been for the worst.

But isnt it just ironic how when the company supposedly started going down hill was when Walt and his brother died?

No, I dont think you can say that Walt would have sank. he was always looking to the future, and always accepted change. That is why he was so succesful through every decade. In fact, Walt probably would have wanted to change the Carousel of Progress a long time ago.

You took the words out of my mouth. and to add to you statement on hoe Walt would have changed with the times. He wouldn't closed an attraction and left empty space withput a plan for a new attreaction in its place right away. and he would have been horrified by the emptiness on some of epcots attractions where you could see that paint was peeling. but he would have done this.

Does anyone remember the Indian Village or ther mule rides at DL they were favs but they made way new attractions that were in developement and not leave the trails empty for months or years till they figured it out likr they are doing now at MK with 20K
and having a cheesy charter greet as there replacement foe an "E" Ticketr attraction. it just looks awful to see it empty wall or no wall

jmarc63

Originally posted by Becky
Hum, if they keep taking out the traditional Walt Disney rides and attractions and keep replacing them with thrill rides/coasters WDW will become Cedar Point or Kings Island.

I can get to either in less than three hours, yet in the last five years I have been to neither and have been to Walt Disney, Yes WALT DISNEY, World nine times.

Seems all decisions are based on money only we will be back to the old style amusement park. Is that what we want. I don't.

I agree and Walt didn't either that how the Studio park in burbank became DL in the first place

Dizknee_Phreek

this isn't really a reply or post to anybody in particular...just something i wanted to say....
i notice quite a few people on the boards say how Eisner saved Disney in their times of trouble, and how great he IS for doing that....(notice i stressed IS) to me, sure he saved Disney in the 80's, and thank God for that....but that was the 80's, folks. people change, and God knows Eisner is only human...he's not immune to changing. Eisner WAS great for the company when they were in trouble over a decade ago, but that doesn't mean he still is great for the company. if you ask me, it's just about his time to go. i'm just not sure if he will go anytime soon...what do you all think?
and really, i don't think the company has been going downhill since Walt and Roy died...i think it's been going downhill since the Millenium Celebration. maybe a little before that. Disney has been making some pretty bad choices since then...and of course, they've made some before then as well (such as the emptiness of 20k) but it seems likes since MC, most of the decisions haven't been that great.
btw, this really has nothing to do with what i've said (it sorta does, but sorta doesn't) but i'm just curious...how has Disney stock been doing the past few years? gone down/up/stayed the same? i haven't heard anything so that's why i wondered.

jmarc63

Originally posted by Dizknee_Phreek
this isn't really a reply or post to anybody in particular...just something i wanted to say....
i notice quite a few people on the boards say how Eisner saved Disney in their times of trouble, and how great he IS for doing that....(notice i stressed IS) to me, sure he saved Disney in the 80's, and thank God for that....but that was the 80's, folks. people change, and God knows Eisner is only human...he's not immune to changing. Eisner WAS great for the company when they were in trouble over a decade ago, but that doesn't mean he still is great for the company. if you ask me, it's just about his time to go. i'm just not sure if he will go anytime soon...what do you all think?
and really, i don't think the company has been going downhill since Walt and Roy died...i think it's been going downhill since the Millenium Celebration. maybe a little before that. Disney has been making some pretty bad choices since then...and of course, they've made some before then as well (such as the emptiness of 20k) but it seems likes since MC, most of the decisions haven't been that great.
btw, this really has nothing to do with what i've said (it sorta does, but sorta doesn't) but i'm just curious...how has Disney stock been doing the past few years? gone down/up/stayed the same? i haven't heard anything so that's why i wondered.

Check out this thread for details. but it has been sliping since the spring of 2000 when I started to keep close ties on it at that point.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12014

Rick

Okay, I'm Back.

Sorry about the delay. The Matterhorn was never actually removed. That Idea was floated about prior to the renovation. As far as all the Eisner praise. Michael Eisner sure is a good business man, but that's not why I go to Disney. I'm sure everyone has a favourite attraction and I'm sure the kids out there on this forum want to see more Exciting Thrill Rides!

Nothing wrong with that. The problem is today's Imagineers lack one crucial element of the old time Imagineers. IMAGINATION!

Look how they screwed up Journey to Your Imagination in Epcot.
If they would replce older attractions with better ones, there wouldn't be such a flood of hateful E-Mail to the Disney folks like there was during that debacle. (Kodak even threatened to pull their sponsorship of the attraction).

If there is a reason to keep the old attractions, it is to help stop the parade of some of these horrible new attractions from being built.

bearboysnc

In my opinion, it wasn't just Eisner...but several people including Frank wells, and Jeffery Katzenburg. Each of these men brought to the company creative knowledge of the entertainment business. With both of these men out of the picture and his own failing health, Eisner no longer has the financial or creative muscle to steer the company through choppy waters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom