Should Disney keep Carousel of Progress?

Should the Carousel of Progress Stay Open?

• Yes

Votes: 145 89.5%
  • No

Votes: 17 10.5%

• Total voters

bamboo7

Originally posted by Dizknee_Phreek

but, um, honestly...does ANYTHING in WDW have a future? if we eventually have to put CoP out of it's misery now, then eventually we'll have to put every ride out of it's misery...it may be a few years down the road, may be a few decades down the road, may be a few generations down the road....but if nothing can stay the same, then that means eventually there won't be an inch left of the Disney World we see today. i don't know about anybody else, but the thought sort of depresses me. :(

But it was designed to be an ever-changing thing.....

"The way i see it, Disneyland will never be finished. It's something we can keep developing and adding to. A motion picture is different. Once it's wrapped up and sent out for processing, we're through with it. If there are things that can be improved, we can't do anything about them anymore. I've always wanted to work on something alive, something that keeps growing. We've got that in Disneyland."

disneyfamily

I think they should tear it down. I mean does anyone really look forward to riding CoP or do they do it just out of habit or to have somewhere to sit in A/C. Tear it down and put in something fun. Take Timekeeper down with it. Walt Disney said "Disneyland will never be finished" seeing how he only had a finite quantity of land in Cali I assume he meant nothing would stay forever. I think he would want the same thing for the MK.

tiggerlover1971

Originally posted by disneyfamily
I think they should tear it down. I mean does anyone really look forward to riding CoP or do they do it just out of habit or to have somewhere to sit in A/C. Tear it down and put in something fun. Take Timekeeper down with it. Walt Disney said "Disneyland will never be finished" seeing how he only had a finite quantity of land in Cali I assume he meant nothing would stay forever. I think he would want the same thing for the MK.

excuseeeeeeeeeeeeeee me I look foward to riding CoP everytime I am there to me it just does not feel like a disney trip without it unless of course its not running and then cannot ride it because of that

disneyguy79

One of the first memories I have of WDW was the Carousel of Progress. From its catchy song that I've hummed around the park to its comical humor, I've never been able to get enough of it. Taking COP away would be such a travesty. Of course, like anything, an update might be needed, but that doesn't mean it should be taken down. Everything needs a refurishbment and if we took everything down once it needed that, we would always have everything new. Keep COP, it's been part of WDW for years and I want my future children to be able to experience it for themselves (providing I take them to WDW during a peak time!).:D :slurp: :slurp: :slurp: :slurp:

RPMdfw

Originally posted by bamboo7

But it was designed to be an ever-changing thing.....

"The way i see it, Disneyland will never be finished. It's something we can keep developing and adding to. A motion picture is different. Once it's wrapped up and sent out for processing, we're through with it. If there are things that can be improved, we can't do anything about them anymore. I've always wanted to work on something alive, something that keeps growing. We've got that in Disneyland."

You're right. It was designed to be an ever changing thing. But look at Walt's quote above. It says that it's something that they can keep DEVELOPING and ADDING to. It DOES NOT say that they should tear out the classic attractions. Didn't anybody learn ANYTHING from the figment fiasco? Just because they remove a popular attraction, doesn't mean that they're going to put something better in it's place. At least with the current attraction we KNOW we like it (or in my case love it, cuz COP is my favorite). Who knows what we'll get if they take it out?

Just my two cents . . .

Herbie53

Premium Member
I used to think that CoP should never be moved, modified, or removed, just like the majority of people here. But something struck me recently that changed my mind. A close friend of mine took her first trip to the Magic Kingdom this summer. Before she left she asked me what the must see attractions were. One of the things on my list was CoP. When she got back I asked her what she thought, and she said that she didn't like the Carousel. I was shocked! How could you not like it? It's classic Walt! Her primary reason was that it skipped from 1940 to 2000. She didn't get a real sense of progression. I can't really say that I blame her. I've always looked at it with my rose colored Disney attitude. I suppose in the back of my mind I could always justify the leap because I knew that the scene from 1980 had been there. Perhaps we can all justify leaving it where it is for now, even if it has become a little lackluster. But what about when it needs another update? Can anyone really picture jumping from 1940 to 2020?

I think if we all try to look at CoP from the perspective of a first time visitor, we really can't say with any honesty that it stands out anymore. As much as I hate to see some things go, I'd hate even more for new visitors to lose the :eek: look of shock and amazement that they so often get when they walk in the park for the first time. And for what? Nostalgic indulgence

bamboo7

Originally posted by Herbie53
I used to think that CoP should never be moved, modified, or removed, just like the majority of people here. But something struck me recently that changed my mind. A close friend of mine took her first trip to the Magic Kingdom this summer. Before she left she asked me what the must see attractions were. One of the things on my list was CoP. When she got back I asked her what she thought, and she said that she didn't like the Carousel. I was shocked! How could you not like it? It's classic Walt! Her primary reason was that it skipped from 1940 to 2000. She didn't get a real sense of progression. I can't really say that I blame her. I've always looked at it with my rose colored Disney attitude. I suppose in the back of my mind I could always justify the leap because I knew that the scene from 1980 had been there. Perhaps we can all justify leaving it where it is for now, even if it has become a little lackluster. But what about when it needs another update? Can anyone really picture jumping from 1940 to 2020?

I think if we all try to look at CoP from the perspective of a first time visitor, we really can't say with any honesty that it stands out anymore. As much as I hate to see some things go, I'd hate even more for new visitors to lose the :eek: look of shock and amazement that they so often get when they walk in the park for the first time. And for what? Nostalgic indulgence

Definetly a valid point.

TinkerBell9988

Originally posted by disneyfamily

Well, IIIIII look forward to visiting the CoP everytime I visit the Magic Kingdom.

And it should not be teared down...

Becky

Way to go Tink. :) :sohappy:

If they bring in bulldozers sprinkle some Pixie Dust on CoP so they can't get it.:D :D :D

I ride CoP at least twice a trip and I ride the song inbetween trips.:) :animwink:

MKCustodial

Originally posted by Herbie53

My girlfriend has never left Brazil. She doesn't know what WDW represents, she only understands what it must be, and what it means to me. I'm gonna be really mad if CoP is not there when she finally gets there. I think CoP, along with Jungle Cruise, Pirates, the Mansion, the Carousel and some other classics are the true Disney :eek: .

JLW11Hi

I read this at WDIMagic.com. Mabey you have all seen it before, but mabey not:

"In the mid-60's, Disneyland's Tomorrowland had an attraction where guests rode in individually controlled "flying saucers" that moved around on a cushion of air. The attraction was prone to breakdowns, and was eventually removed. Rumor has it that Imagineering has drawn up plans to bring back this old attraction, using newer technologies, to replace another old, original Disneyland attraction - Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress."

Has anyone else ever been to that site? There are like a ton of rumors there that I surprisingly havent seen discussed on these boards yet

jmarc63

Originally posted by JLW11Hi

"In the mid-60's, Disneyland's Tomorrowland had an attraction where guests rode in individually controlled "flying saucers" that moved around on a cushion of air. The attraction was prone to breakdowns, and was eventually removed. Rumor has it that Imagineering has drawn up plans to bring back this old attraction, using newer technologies, to replace another old, original Disneyland attraction - Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress."

Has anyone else ever been to that site? There are like a ton of rumors there that I surprisingly havent seen discussed on these boards yet

Yea I have seen it It would be cool since I was too young to ride the saucers when I was at DL in the 60s

General Grizz

Flying Saucers replace it? What's this...Tomorrowland being Space World? COP is the only...different view (along with the speedway)...out of space. The family. I don't see anything but looking up. COP is a great focus on the tomorrow in the most important unit - family.

SAVE SAUCERS FOR DISNEYQUEST!!!

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Originally posted by JLW11Hi

A lot of those rumors (much like screamscape) are pure speculation. The people we have feeding our rumors usually have some reliability to thier sources. We could speculate all day long, and most of us wouldn't make anything of it. However, those sites choose to take those speculations and make them into so much more, like they may be "on to something."

Like MKTiggerman says "Don't trust screamscape, you'll live longer."

Apply that to any website like that :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom