Should Disney keep Carousel of Progress?

Should the Carousel of Progress Stay Open?

• Yes

Votes: 145 89.5%
  • No

Votes: 17 10.5%

• Total voters

Rick

With all of the technology out there, you would think that the Disney folks would be the leaders in developing new attractions. How sad that Universal Orlando is continually the innovative genius that Disney once was.

bamboo7

Originally posted by DisneyWorldGuru

I agree. It has been a while since anything good came out of WDI.

i have a feeling that you won't be saying that anymore after MS opens.

personally, i don't agree to that statement now.

yensid354

I voted no

It was with great reluctance though.

I first rode COP when it was at the 1964 Worlds Fair in NY when ot was sponsored by GE. (It's why electricity and appliances play the common theme) I loved it, it was new, innovative, and had both a great story and show.

It has become extremely dated. While it is very interesting to see the technological evolution, the work jumps from the late 40's to the current day. Much too far a jump and too much missed highpoints in history.

My family and I visit WDW once or twice a year, and we have not been on since '99. It seems that almost every time we look into it, it is not operating.

I think that the space that it occupies, along with the Tomorrowland Theater, and the unused end hub for what was the cable cars should be consolidated into a real thrill ride in Tomorrowland.

I know that there is strong sentiment to keep a Walt original, but it has not kept pace. Walt was a strong proponent of change and improvement, hence his statement that DL would never be finished.

Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln evolved into the Hall of Presidents, and updates with each change of the White House. No one complains about killing off this WD original.

Why keep COP just for nostalgia? WDW is a business, not a toy. It has to make a return on investment. The general public has demonstrated a lack of interest in the ride (why it is closed all the time) and it is time to make better use of the area. 20K as well, why tie up the lagoon space and go to the expense of keeping the water clean! Just as expensive to do that as it is to operate COP. Time to keep up with Walt's original vision, ' it will never be finished'.

number1wdwfan

Keeping Carousel of Progress

Yes, I do believe they should keep Carousel of Progress because it is a nice place to sit down and relax after a long HOT day (because it's air conditioned!) and also because it is unlike any other attraction at WDW. I do, however, think maybe they should add one 'era' in between the futuristic one and then one from the 50's. So, a little refurbishing should do the trick. I don't believe they should get rid of it. It's too much a part of WDW, and plus, it's my mom's favorite ride!!! :animwink: :)

General Grizz

Re: I voted no

It has become extremely dated. While it is very interesting to see the technological evolution, the work jumps from the late 40's to the current day. Much too far a jump and too much missed highpoints in history.

- That's where they can update the closing scene. Make it more like Horizons! THAT'd be neat, huh??! As for the other scenes, we may just need them. Many kids these days can't really understand what life was like in the 1900s or 1940s...etc. Walt is a pretty good educator if you ask me! (Kids don't even know they're learning!)

My family and I visit WDW once or twice a year, and we have not been on since '99. It seems that almost every time we look into it, it is not operating.

- The only time it's been down for a while was in October 2001 through December, and on and off until now. The reason it closed: low crowds. But heck, according to 9/9/01, the crowd was pretty dang high! Of course attendance would be low after 9/11!!! "d'uh!" :lol: In fact, in every seasonal run, they've had to *extend* COP hours, it's so dang loveable and popular!

- About your change thing, this is an exception. Walt ALWAYS wanted COP to exist in his parks! The change here comes with the finale - that's where it gets exciting. But Walt, the man HIMSELF, wanted it to be there.

Why keep COP just for nostalgia?

- It's not kept for that reason. It's a national landmark, Walt wanted it, crowds are high, and it's the most classical WDW attraction. This attraction plainly IS Walt Disney. You can't get any closer to him, friends!

Maybe if it wasn't so hidden (i.e. ads!!) it could be even MORE popular.

bamboo7

Re: Keeping Carousel of Progress

Originally posted by number1wdwfan
I do, however, think maybe they should add one 'era' in between the futuristic one and then one from the 50's. So, a little refurbishing should do the trick.

i can't really imagine how another scene would be added, short of tearing down and re-building the whole building. could you explain what you had in mind?

bearboysnc

How sad that Universal Orlando is continually the innovative genius

uuuuuhhhhh... thats a bit of an overstatement. Most of universal's rides are only new generations of Disney rides.

Even Spiderman.. is STARTOURS meets Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin.

jaimjaim25

yes yes YES! If they ever closed that I would be SOOOO MAD! That is one of the 1st original Walt Disney ideas for Epcot, and even though i've seen it about 100 times, I still have to every time i go! It's a tradition and legacy, and Disney has enough money where thye can leave it open and if they wanted to 'replace' it, they could just build around it!!!

KEEP IT OPEN!!!!

Becky

There no longer is a Walt Disney World.:cry:

Why? Because the clock has been turned back and Roy Disney, the businessman has won all the arguements! One of those concerned the building of an amusement park (which became Disneyland). Roy has won, thus no Disneyland, thus no Walt Disney World!

Yes Roy was a very good businessman. That is he could come up with the money. But Walt was a great visionary businessman. The money is easy, the vision is not.

Read "Walt Disney" by Bob Thomas. Look at what Roy was against at first from a "business" standpoint and how Walt was able to sell the visionary concept of business to Roy. Roy was against spending money on sound, Technicolor and many other concepts.

By the way Frank Wells had as much or more to do with saving Disney as Michael did.

So Walt, I am so happy that you won the "arguements" with your brother. :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Am I off thread. I don't think so. Most of you who want to close CoP cite "business" as your only reason.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom