Should Disney keep Carousel of Progress?

Should the Carousel of Progress Stay Open?

• Yes

Votes: 145 89.5%
  • No

Votes: 17 10.5%

• Total voters

Goofy_nut

Can you say Yes?

I voted yes. I even started a thread to try and get people fired up and do something to save COP. COP is a classic. Where there is a will there will be a way to save COP.:hammer:

wedroy1923

I voted yes, and here's why:

We all go to the parks for different reasons. One of the reasons I go is because of Walt Disney. From a young age, I have considered Walt one of my heroes, and Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom allow me the chance to experience his creations and other attraction's inspired by his vision of family entertainment.

The Carousel of Progress is one of those attractions that, like other people have said, embodies the spirit of Walt Disney. Not only did Walt Disney take a great personal interest in the attraction, he also gave it his optimism and belief in the benefits of technological advancements.

I understand that the parks are not museums, but when Walt Disney said that there was enough land in Florida to "hold all the ideas and dreams we can possibly imagine," I took him at his word. They can keep the old and bring in the new. Want to move it, fine by me. Want to update it, go ahead. Just keep it around somewhere!

I would love to see it revised to include the old Progress City concept in the fourth act. Or maybe redo the old "Walt Disney Story" to include it, kind of like they did with "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln" at Disneyland (the old version, I mean). I don't know, just an idea. I think the Magic Kingdom needs a permanent "Walt Disney Story" type attraction. I think it is shameful that it is no longer a part of the Magic Kingdom.

I suppose I shouldn't push my admiration for Walt Disney onto other people. Does the Walt Disney Company really need "Walt Disney" - maybe not. I am sure they find it much more important that consumers connect with the brand name "Disney" and not necessarily with the person of "Walt Disney." But I want people to know who the man in the central plaza with the mouse is! Anyway, that's a diatribe for another time!

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by wedroy1923

I suppose I shouldn't push my admiration for Walt Disney onto other people. Does the Walt Disney Company really need "Walt Disney" - maybe not. I am sure they find it much more important that consumers connect with the brand name "Disney" and not necessarily with the person of "Walt Disney." But I want people to know who the man in the central plaza with the mouse is! Anyway, that's a diatribe for another time!

hey, I agree with you all the way.

But after doing the 100 years of magic celebration, I doubt that they want people to just think of Disney as a brand name than an actual person. I think Walt himself, however, did want people to think of Disney more as a brand name. He wanted everyone to think of good family entertainment when the Disney name was on it.

gjpjtj

I voted yes, and would really like to see it open more than it is!! We missed it on our last trip in Feb., and not sure if it will be open in Sept.

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by frank2271
The biggest mistake Disney has ever made at WDW is opening AK only half complete. AK was Disney's ticket back to the top, if they only had Asia and BK open on opening day. I know a lot of Floridians that still haven't gone to AK because they heard it was too small and they don't want to pay $50.00 for a half day park.

but wasn't MK only half done when it opened in the early 70's? give or take a bit, of course...but my dad visited in 73, and even he remembers parts not being open...like i know he said that Frontierland and Tomorrowland wasn't open then. i'm not sure about anything else. but look at the MK today! not to mention MGM...was one of the sorriest sights in WDW history when it opened! what was it, like 2 rides when it opened? and again, look at MGM today! all i'm saying is give the AK some time! it takes a while to build up a successful park...especially if you want to put the time and effort into it to make it what it should be.

jmarc63

Originally posted by Dizknee_Phreek

but wasn't MK only half done when it opened in the early 70's? give or take a bit, of course...but my dad visited in 73, and even he remembers parts not being open...like i know he said that Frontierland and Tomorrowland wasn't open then. i'm not sure about anything else. but look at the MK today! not to mention MGM...was one of the sorriest sights in WDW history when it opened! what was it, like 2 rides when it opened? and again, look at MGM today! all i'm saying is give the AK some time! it takes a while to build up a successful park...especially if you want to put the time and effort into it to make it what it should be.

Frontierland and tommrowland were both open on opening day and were open when we got there on dec 21 1971 for our two week stay. the only land to be partataly done was tommrowland.

Tommrowland was only half done missing from now was Space mountain , CoP, starjets, Peoplemover(tta). which is like 3/4 of the land

also not built for the opening and came later was

Pirates, countrybears, Big Thunder, splash Mountain, aladin carpets ride, tommrowland arcade, all of what is now toontown, and the above mentioned. It doesnt include attractions switched in an existing show building like Pooh

jmarc63

it is nearly impossible or practical to open a park fully built due to the fact if everything is there on day one and nothing else is added except to remove something that is a favorite then the public will get board and attendance will go down. you add gradually to add continued interest to come again.

Ill use the example of great america in chicago
when it opened it had I think two or three coasters. and every year since 76 when it opened fir the season the marketing was placed at the newest coaster for that year. since then they added two wooden coasters and I think three new steel coasters, and redressed existing coasters on three different occocasions that I can rercall and tor down a few others to make way for the newest hypercoaster. and on there website thery list 10 coasters. they even took parking outside the original boundry to put one of the coasters

Dizknee_Phreek

hmm..interesting....thanks jmarc! i'll have to ask my dad about this...either i got his story a tad wrong, or his memory is fuzzy (which i don't doubt!)

anyway, at least the story of MGM still stands...least i think it does. it's what i heard on Travel Channel...that there were only 2 rides when it opened.

NowInc

90 votes from Disney fanatics doesnt say much tho. The General publc (from what I have personally seen) only goes to COP to kill time before their fastpass is up. I have never been on CoP once in my life and havnt found at LEAST 3 people sleeping...or havnt heard at least 5 people complaining on how bad it was on the way out....

....Disney "fans" (such as the community that makes up any disney forum) of course want the vintage dated CoP to stay because of its history....I just think its bad buisness to keep such an expensive unpopular (remember..the majority of the people who go to wDW are NOT fanatics) attraction running even on a SEASONAL schedual. I feel once they get the green light for funding on a replacment..disney will have no remorce in getting CoP out of WDW and into a museum where it truely does belong.

...strong statment.......from an apparent "weak" person...I know...

jmarc63

Originally posted by Dizknee_Phreek
hmm..interesting....thanks jmarc! i'll have to ask my dad about this...either i got his story a tad wrong, or his memory is fuzzy (which i don't doubt!)

anyway, at least the story of MGM still stands...least i think it does. it's what i heard on Travel Channel...that there were only 2 rides when it opened.

well we were there every christmas from 71 to 79 and saw new things added every year from 73 to 77. I couldn't wait for priates when it came. and I thought CoP was cool for the first few years of my preteen years.

as for studios I wasn't there untill 93 and they were building ToT and Sunset Blvd was being carved out. they had to relocate the theater that was simular to what they use for illuminations. so when I was there in oct 93 everything was there except sunset Blvd and ToT was just a steel shell and just starting to cover the exterior. I went on GMR and ST and MV3D ,full backstage/newyork street is all I rember. It took only one day while EP and MK were two to three days to see everything we wanted

BigNorm

Keep CoP

Let me say first, I have never been a big fan of CoP. I find it a little boring in fact. :eek: But I'm what you might call a traitionalist and I don't think there is anything more traditional at Disney than an attraction that was created by Walt Disney himself. If they keep it for that reason alone it would be a good call. Plus it's the one attraction my father looks forward to taking part in @ WDW every year and I'd hate to see it gone because something would be taken away from the WDW experience for him. What's WDW if it isn't a family experience anyway?

Rick

The Carousel of Progress is a reminder of what the Walt Disney theme parks once stood for. Progress, The Future & Solid American family dynamics are themes that Walt wanted throughout his parks.

This attraction may seem dated to many park visitors, but to me it represents exactly what Disney theme parks are all about. There is plenty of room to build other new attractions. But once the Carousel of Progress is gone, another piece of Walt's dream goes with it.

And that would be a sad day indeed.

bamboo7

Originally posted by NowInc
90 votes from Disney fanatics doesnt say much tho. The General publc (from what I have personally seen) only goes to COP to kill time before their fastpass is up. I have never been on CoP once in my life and havnt found at LEAST 3 people sleeping...or havnt heard at least 5 people complaining on how bad it was on the way out....

....Disney "fans" (such as the community that makes up any disney forum) of course want the vintage dated CoP to stay because of its history....I just think its bad buisness to keep such an expensive unpopular (remember..the majority of the people who go to wDW are NOT fanatics) attraction running even on a SEASONAL schedual. I feel once they get the green light for funding on a replacment..disney will have no remorce in getting CoP out of WDW and into a museum where it truely does belong.

...strong statment.......from an apparent "weak" person...I know...

agreed. i do enjoy the ride, but it is on its way out (for good reason).

my suggestion is that instead of complaining about it being closed a lot and trying to save it, just enjoy it while it is still here. That way at least you will have a lot of memories of it. and try to get your hands on a high-quality video of it. thats better than nothing.

WDWManic

I like CoP, but it is too old and outdated and gets boring after a while. If they updated it and cleaned up the outside it would be back to being interesting.

jmarc63

Originally posted by bamboo7

agreed. i do enjoy the ride, but it is on its way out (for good reason).

my suggestion is that instead of complaining about it being closed a lot and trying to save it, just enjoy it while it is still here. That way at least you will have a lot of memories of it. and try to get your hands on a high-quality video of it. thats better than nothing.

YOU obviously have no idea what Walt Disney was all about and you also have no idea how badly Eisner and company are running the show and forgetting what made all this possible.

If walt had not created DL and The Magic Kingdom Eisner would be somewhere else. Instead of Disney being the leader to follow, they are now are becomming a clone of the very competition that wanted to be like Disney.

I will pose you this to you have you been to WDW anytime between 71 and 84, If you were every thing was sparlking and perfect. If it broke it was fixed at night. These crewes were the "Elves" of the park.

It certinally aint that way today. If things start deteriorate it is just left untill a renovation occurs. If it was me I would get other management in there that would consider the guest first and the money second. not like they do today. I like my traditional attractions and want them kept and not toyed with like they have been with seasonal openings. I have been going to WDW fot over 30 years as well as being a large stockholder so I speakj from two fronts. I think its people like you that are letting the quality suffer by accepting this lower standard instead of remembering the quality and mark of excelence one stood for before 1984.

Rick

For jmarc63.
Well said. There is no need to sacrafice Walt's dreams and visions to please todays consumer. There is plenty of room for expansion at DisneyWorld, without destroying what is already there. Look at the mistake they made in Disneyland when they removed the old Matterhorn (a new one is in it's place) or when they wanted to remove "Great moment's with Mr. Lincoln."

There are currently four theme parks on the Florida property with room for more. I hope the people who run the show can see to keep some of Walt's vision alive.

Another gripe is the removal of the old Journey into Imagination
I hope they've learned their lesson.

jmarc63

Originally posted by Rick
Look at the mistake they made in Disneyland when they removed the old Matterhorn (a new one is in it's place) or when they wanted to remove "Great moment's with Mr. Lincoln."

Rick

I wish more people felt the way ypo do about the traditional attractions walt has his hand in.

On another note I have to ask what do you mean about the matterhorn being removed.?????????

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom